Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Phigs posted:

I know it's been brought up before but every time I think about Plague Inc it's hilarious to me how wrong it simulated the world's response to a pandemic. All those games of trying to manipulate spread as much as I can to ensure I get on the island nations before I get detected because if I don't then I'm hosed. But lol, all you have to do in the real world is be patient because they'll gently caress it all up eventually. "Australia has shut down international travel!" Like gently caress it has, I'll just hitch a ride in on a loving cruise ship they'll just let out into the country or infect one of the many people flying in daily and pass into the community through some anti-mask driver. And then some shithead New South Welshmen will jump lockdown to infect Victoria for me. Then just wait for the other states to open up because gently caress it. Easy game.

I want to write a trainer that makes countries give up on lockdowns at random after a length of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pandemic Inc is extremely lol because when a country locks something down it never opens again until you lose. Imagine America closing all its international airports for COVID for the next five years

I don't think we even closed them for a week!

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1448923044219703300?t=H3t0arGGrIaV49Zd65gKTQ&s=19

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

Since almost no government is willing to pursue and maintain a zero covid policy, I would have expected somewhere to have moved to a comprehensive best efforts strategy, two years in it isn’t a mystery how it spreads, and how well good masks worn well can mitigate spread, or moving more things at least partially outdoors or online, encourage work from home, etc. Like if your explicit goal as a government is to half-rear end your covid response but still reap the rewards of a functioning economy where your citizens aren’t just constantly dying, that should be sort of an achievable goal, as long as you make actual changes to things like the work environment and restaurants, and use messaging to convey factual knowledge. Whether or not it would work in reality, you’d at least think there’s a middle ground governments would try between zero covid and reopening schools with zero npis and gaslighting your citizens into taking their masks off. I mean if nearly every medical professional knew the vaccines would have waning effectiveness and would face escape variants within a matter of months, there should’ve been at least a couple of governments that didn’t bet the farm on vaccines or on trying to declare victory over a decades long pandemic every few months. I mean they can’t still all have pinned their hopes on make believe like herd immunity or 100% vaccination?

At the very very least I’m still waiting to see a government that doesn’t completely drop their npis every other month. It doesn’t take a lot of pattern recognition to see that masks, and outdoor dining are still going to be necessary next month, and this isn’t the month that case numbers will permanently go to zero forever. It’s like our covid response hasn’t matured to the level of object permanence yet.

Death of Innocence fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 15, 2021

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Stereotype posted:

yeah natural immunity is definitely real, though probably short lived, and once everyone in a state is exposed and rolls the dice then it can't really spread anymore. until the next variant of course, which is why we had a delta wave.

The ultra troubling part about this is that everybody who already got sick (with anything at any point in the last three years) will think they’re invincible, everyone who got vaccinated in April and didn’t get boosted (almost everyone) will think they’re invincible, and everyone who didn’t get sick or vaccinated will continue to think covid isn’t real.

I wonder how that natural immunity from July or August holds up in the most brutally supply-limited Black Friday mosh pit ever seen? How will it do at Christmas dinner? What does an eight month old vaccination do for you when you’re sitting inside without a mask? I guess we’ll find out!

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
Getting a lot of job rejection letters when I explicitly state I refuse to ever work from an office when the job says "remote"

Sorry, Barbara from HR, I'm not moving to Idaho for a 12 month contract. I don't care if the office has soda and snack machines where people can buy 3 year old nature valley bars at a discount

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Real Mean Queen posted:

The ultra troubling part about this is that everybody who already got sick (with anything at any point in the last three years) will think they’re invincible, everyone who got vaccinated in April and didn’t get boosted (almost everyone) will think they’re invincible, and everyone who didn’t get sick or vaccinated will continue to think covid isn’t real.

I wonder how that natural immunity from July or August holds up in the most brutally supply-limited Black Friday mosh pit ever seen? How will it do at Christmas dinner? What does an eight month old vaccination do for you when you’re sitting inside without a mask? I guess we’ll find out!

Oh poo poo! I can't wait for the videos of people clawing through the bulbous masses of gnashing teeth to buy cheap plastic toys for their kids who they sent to school a week before with "a slight cough and fever"

Black Friday indeed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Good news there won't be any goods for people to shiv others over on Black Friday! #EmptyShelfJoe

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Real Mean Queen posted:

yeah it's gonna be bad probably! lmao. lol

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
If you have to go to the hospital in america I hope you are well enough to ambulate to the bathroom on your own or hosed up enough that you have a Foley cath and rectal tube/ostomy because if not, you will be wallowing in your own piss and poo poo for hours until a nurse has time to clean you up.

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 15, 2021

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
way ahead of you on that one

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Top #2 in Statisa_pandemic_handling.jpg

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Palladium posted:

Top #2 in Statisa_pandemic_handling.jpg

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1448950737703219200?t=uC9Tx3XUkDYjZb7HiUiQ3Q&s=19

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Good news there won't be any goods for people to shiv others over on Black Friday! #EmptyShelfJoe

And there was much rejoicing

You know who didn't need a new Xbox? Jesus

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

there has always been a death crew

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/tsa/576756-republican-state-senator-banned-from-alaska-airlines-after-mask

quote:

Alaska state Sen. Lora Reinbold (R), who in April gained fame after she was banned from Alaskan Airlines for not wearing a mask, posted on her Facebook page Tuesday that she had tested positive for COVID-19.

I mean, it was expected

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
She should forage for bear piss that's good for covid too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

died of the endemic, you mean

if it’s endemic that means it’s manageable. that’s good :)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The "de-covider" is an even worse name than SpikeVax

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

The "de-covider" is an even worse name than SpikeVax

Spikevax is cool actually.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Died WITH endemicity, not OF endemicity

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pillowpants posted:

I lost a friend today - one of my oldest friends. He didn’t die but we were talking about Covid deaths and long covid and then he railed into me about he should t have to wear a mask or take precautions because he’s health and it’s not his fault I made poor life decisions.

He then ranted for another 10 minutes about survival of the fittest before I left.

gently caress him. Covid is like a practical test that examines how well you absorbed ideas such as “delaying immediate gratification for a better future outcome,” or “giving a poo poo about if your actions kill somebody,” or “giving up something you care about to help others.”

We all grew up on this poo poo. I guarantee your bullshit friend is a huge fan of some kind of genre fiction where the main character goes through some kind of unpleasantness in order to later save the world. Everybody wants to be Luke, but here we are crashed on Dagobah and here he is not even bothering to do the cardio parts. We all know the story where the boy sells his watch to get the girl some hair accessories and the girl sells her hair to buy watch wax or whatever it is a watch needs and they both learn that they care about each other, here’s dude being like “thanks for the watch wax babe” and not even noticing her shorn head. He’s potentially done the thing where they give you a marshmallow you’re not supposed to eat because you’ll get two in ten minutes, and I have an educated guess about how he did there.

There’s no excuse for this. He’s not missing any of the stories that would tell him what to do here, he just doesn’t care, and he’s tired of hearing about how he should care, and those unpleasant feelings about whether he’s doing something wrong are getting fired right back at anyone who isn’t cheering him on. It’s unfortunate to learn that somebody you care about doesn’t have the values you hoped they would, but it’s good to learn this now and not later on in some higher pressure situation where he fully fucks you to save his own neck.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

naturopath lmao

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Death of Innocence posted:

Yeah, I’ve been wondering about that. I remember they’ve been doing a terrible job since the start, sometimes like in this case actually going out of their way to make worse decisions than the US and the UK. It completely goes against their reputation as well governed technocratic countries that protect their citizens through strong safety nets. You get all this propaganda about how happy the danish are or whatever, and then you get their covid denialist pandemic policies.

Let me just say: :rubby:

The first lockdown was entirely down to the PM's spin doctor watching the news coming out of Italy and not being a total idiot. She has since left her job.

The current PM virtually ended disability benefits ten years ago as Minister of Employment, which is convenient in light of all the long COVID we're facing. She recently said we should "abandon the myth that work should be pleasurable".

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
It was a big crack ping when I first realized the people I had surrounded myself with would kill their friends and family just so they could dine-in at some fast casual restaurant

I was more angry at myself than them tbh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

genericnick posted:

Spikevax is cool actually.

I can't agree, I'm a committed constituent of the Comirnaty Community

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Atrocious Joe posted:

tracking reinfections might mean there would be evidence to show that natural immunity isn't the solution. people already have figured out breakthroughs can happen with vaccines, but if people realize natural immunity isn't perfect that's even worse!

Why not both? My grandfather in law that died last month had COVID in late 2020 and got vaxxed early this year and still ended up on a vent and then in the ground.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

i am harry posted:

anyone who ever thought, and espcially said, kids were safe is a loving idiot, has always been a loving idiot, and can get FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKED. anyone who has said or thought "i'm fully vaccinated, therefore..." is also included, and that includes everyone on SA forums and everyone on twitter

e:
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

Why not both? My grandfather in law that died last month had COVID in late 2020 and got vaxxed early this year and still ended up on a vent and then in the ground.

maybe he should have gotten vaccinated

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
pretty crazy that people are dying or ending up with long serious complications even while vaccinated and the response of the government is still just "get vaccinated pls"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ice Phisherman posted:

It's a lot like how a lot of self-professed Christians have never read the bible cover to cover. The information exists. It is waiting there for you to look at and internalize or to pick apart and disbelieve. But one of the last things you'll ever get a large set of Americans to ever do is to read. Especially since the average reading level in America is about the seventh to eighth grade and reading the bible is about a junior or senior level project. And remember that if that's average, 50% of people are below that level and you have to go up much higher to reach an adequate level of literacy. So even if they wanted to read it many couldn't because their functional literacy and reading comprehension sucks rear end.

So there's this book that a large group of people all derive their lives and worldview and thought from but it's heavily distorted because they don't want to actually read it and even if they did, it would be too hard. So as a result people interpret it for them and a lot of these people are warped as gently caress.

There's a bit in the bible where Jesus knows he's about to be arrested and crucified but the scriptures say that he's supposed to be found "among the transgressors" so he tells his disciples "Hey we're supposed to look like freedom fighters or some poo poo, go out and buy two swords and leave them lying around. If you don't have enough cash I dunno, sell some clothes or whatever." When the soldiers came to arrest Jesus one of his disciples got a bit excited and actually started swinging one of the swords around and sliced a guy's ear and Jesus had to tell him to calm the gently caress down and put the sword away.

Of course the modern American interpretation of this story is "'Sell your coat and buy a sword' = Jesus is pro-guns"

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

facetoucher cat posted:

It was a big crack ping when I first realized the people I had surrounded myself with would kill their friends and family just so they could dine-in at some fast casual restaurant

I was more angry at myself than them tbh

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Stereotype posted:

pretty crazy that people are dying or ending up with long serious complications even while vaccinated and the response of the government is still just "get vaccinated pls"

As long as major media and business is in lockstep about this it's not surprising the govt policy won't change. It's not like they care if people die, they just dont want to accept any responsibility

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Stereotype posted:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...e-requirements/

quote:

We’re requiring active duty military to be vaccinated.  We’re making sure healthcare workers are vaccinated, because if you seek care at a healthcare facility, you should have the certainty that the pro- — the people providing that care are protected from COVID and cannot spread it to you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Playing Tekken with a plexiglass screen between players (safely)

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

facetoucher cat posted:

Oh poo poo! I can't wait for the videos of people clawing through the bulbous masses of gnashing teeth to buy cheap plastic toys for their kids who they sent to school a week before with "a slight cough and fever"

Black Friday indeed

No dice on that one, there will only be extremely expensive plastic toys this year, and very few of them! It's going to be "tape some razors to your elbows" conditions in the consumer scrum

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Australian supreme court challenge to workplace vaccine mandates fails on all counts. :getin:

quote:

Judge dismisses challenges to NSW COVID-19 vaccination orders for workers

A judge has dismissed two legal challenges to health orders requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for workers in NSW.

The cases, heard in the NSW Supreme Court, involved 10 plaintiffs including workers in health, aged care, construction and education.

All said their employment had been impacted by orders requiring vaccination to continue working, while some were in declared areas of concern as travel restrictions were imposed.

Each unvaccinated worker cited similar concerns about insufficient long-term data on COVID-19 vaccine safety and side effects.

The cases used various arguments to attack the validity of the health orders but contained common threads.

They contended that the orders violated rights to bodily integrity and privacy, implemented civil conscription, represented a breach of natural justice and were made by Health Minister Brad Hazzard without clear legislative authority.

Justice Robert Beech-Jones on Friday ruled that all grounds had failed.

He said any consideration about the reasonableness of orders should be undertaken by reference to the objects of the public health act, which were "directed exclusively at public safety".

The judge found that if an order was made interfering with freedom of movement and differentiating on "arbitrary grounds" unrelated to public health risks, such as race or gender, it would be at "severe risk" of being found to be invalid.

"However, the differential treatment of people according to their vaccination status is not arbitrary," Justice Beech-Jones wrote in his judgment.

"Instead, it applies a discrimen, namely vaccination status, that on the evidence and the approach taken by the minister is very much consistent with the objects of the Public Health Act."

The judge further rejected a constitutional argument about civil conscription and an asserted inconsistency with the immunisation register act.

"So far as the right to bodily integrity is concerned, it is not violated as the impugned orders do not authorise the involuntary vaccination of anyone," he said.

"Curtailing the free movement of persons, including their movement to and at work, are the very type of restrictions that the public health act clearly authorises."

During a late September hearing, barrister Peter King, for the plaintiffs in one case, said mandatory vaccination was "an irrational policy measure that is not only futile but unreasonable".

Jason Harkess, for the plaintiffs in the second case, said the orders resulted in coercion and "the right to work pitted against the right to bodily integrity".

Mr Hazzard, Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant, the State of NSW and the Commonwealth were named as defendants.

The orders could reasonably be regarded as necessary to protect public health and safety, barristers for the State of NSW told the court, highlighting their temporary nature.

The pandemic had presented governments with "diabolically difficult regulatory challenges", the defence said.

The orders imposed "blanket prohibitions" while offering exemption for the vaccinated, the State argued, meaning they incentivised vaccination but did not mandate it.

The cases attracted enormous audiences as they were livestreamed on the court's YouTube channel.

More than 40,000 viewers watched Friday's decision.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-15/judge-rules-out-challenges-to-nsw-covid-19-vaccination-orders/100543888

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Civil conscription wtf. The mandatory labour of having to go to a place and queue for a few minutes to get a jab. Htfu lads

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

HHS DATA - FINALLY UPDATED

Idaho re-enters the 90% club!

DE/NV are at October highs of 86%
MI is at an October high of 84%
MO/IA are at an October high of 82%
MD is at at an October high of 76%
NJ is at 49%! HIGHEST SINCE THE THIRD WAVE

In Addition to that, 7 days highs
KY (89%)
NE (85%)
KS (81%)
MS (80%)
ME (78%)
NY (72%)
WI (67%)

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1448792874166931457?s=20

HHS Data!

Critical Staffing Shortage: Hospitals reporting this hit 1000 for first time in two weeks. 500 of them are in 10 states.

ICU Occupancy
Since 8/20

Texas has re-entered the 90% club after 3 days in the high 80s.

Highs since 8/20:
Ohio hits an all time high today of 82% ICU occupancy.
CT has been at 60% for the past 3 days - which is an all time high.

October Highs

NV still at October highs of 86%
NE is at an October high of 85%
IA/MA at October high of 83%
MO/NY at its October high of 82%

In Addition to that, 7 days highs
GA (89%)
MN (82%)
MS (81%)
WA (78%)

Alabama is at record low of 87%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Death of Innocence posted:

Since almost no government is willing to pursue and maintain a zero covid policy, I would have expected somewhere to have moved to a comprehensive best efforts strategy, two years in it isn’t a mystery how it spreads, and how well good masks worn well can mitigate spread, or moving more things at least partially outdoors or online, encourage work from home, etc. Like if your explicit goal as a government is to half-rear end your covid response but still reap the rewards of a functioning economy where your citizens aren’t just constantly dying, that should be sort of an achievable goal, as long as you make actual changes to things like the work environment and restaurants, and use messaging to convey factual knowledge. Whether or not it would work in reality, you’d at least think there’s a middle ground governments would try between zero covid and reopening schools with zero npis and gaslighting your citizens into taking their masks off. I mean if nearly every medical professional knew the vaccines would have waning effectiveness and would face escape variants within a matter of months, there should’ve been at least a couple of governments that didn’t bet the farm on vaccines or on trying to declare victory over a decades long pandemic every few months. I mean they can’t still all have pinned their hopes on make believe like herd immunity or 100% vaccination?

At the very very least I’m still waiting to see a government that doesn’t completely drop their npis every other month. It doesn’t take a lot of pattern recognition to see that masks, and outdoor dining are still going to be necessary next month, and this isn’t the month that case numbers will permanently go to zero forever. It’s like our covid response hasn’t matured to the level of object permanence yet.

The explicit goal of governments is to return to 2019 and pretend Covid never happened op