Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Strong Bioshock vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

packetmantis posted:

I like the owl.
What do they think they are, Athens? :colbert:

quote:

The last one is cool, like, conceptually, but not as an actual flag.

I like it. Feels the most interesting of the set, though the second's not bad. Needs the linework cleaned up though, this rendering looks like a sloppy vector job.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

OH GOD I CAN SEE FOREVER

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The owl one is the least bad, followed by the one with six foxes in a huddle.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Second would probably work best, and owl is nice as well. Both work also as general symbols - either the star or an owl would be easy to adopt to different patches or properties as a marker.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The first one looks like the flag of a particularly evil modern multinational corporation, and that colors my perception of the second flag as well.

(Saudi Aramco’s)

The second flag feels like it wants to be friends with Arizona and New Mexico, and it just isn’t.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Second one reminds me of driving through Nebraska.

I watched the eclipse in North Platte when that happened. It's picturesque for a podunk town.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The first one looks like the corner was accidentally folded over

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

BuckT.Trend posted:

My hometown of Lincoln, Nebraska is choosing a new flag. They've put four designs up for a public preference vote. Details: https://www.amalincoln.org/reflag-lnk/

The first one is a Powerpoint background.

The third one is a cool symbol that there's no way that the town really deserves, but it would also be cool if they could somehow really go all-in for using the owl to represent everything.

The fourth one is a design you'd find in an ancient temple of some mysterious vanished society with improbably advanced technology deep inside the tomb, and it doesn't seem like it has legible symbolism and it probably wouldn't be very readable at a distance, but it sure looks cool. Cooler than Nebraska deserves.

So that means the second one is the most what I'd expect a flag to look like, but I don't like how the flower is weirdly asymmetric.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BuckT.Trend posted:

My hometown of Lincoln, Nebraska is choosing a new flag. They've put four designs up for a public preference vote. Details: https://www.amalincoln.org/reflag-lnk/

1. Terrible. Random-colored triangles, just what a flag needs.
2. Not bad overall. The design of the star-fox is a little busy, but it works.
3. :birddrugs: I like it.
4. Did the city famously go through an Art Deco phase or something?

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

Powered Descent posted:

1. Terrible. Random-colored triangles, just what a flag needs.
2. Not bad overall. The design of the star-fox is a little busy, but it works.
3. :birddrugs: I like it.
4. Did the city famously go through an Art Deco phase or something?

1. It’s supposed to be an abstract map of Nebraska with the star motif placed where Lincoln is located. I’m not a fan.
2. I think this one is okay, but I don’t like the six-sided star. I’d like to see what a five-sided star looks like.
3. It’s a great visual, but I have no idea why they chose a barn owl. Lincoln is not known for its abundance of owls.
4. This is an abstract representation of the State Capitol with a sunrise behind. The Capitol actually is Art Deco-lite on the exterior, and definitely Art Deco (and folk art) on the inside.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

BuckT.Trend posted:

3 > 2 > 1 > 4

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Flag four kicks rear end. Y'all blind.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The fourth one looks like it should be the symbol of a futuristic church that worships a nuclear bomb.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Fourth one is way too busy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

The fourth one looks like it should be the symbol of a futuristic church that worships a nuclear bomb.

It looks like a Bioshock flag. Right?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Flag 4 is awesome and should also be used as the flag of the local sports team.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Lincoln, Nebraska 'til I die.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Owl good, but I played too much AssCreed Odyseey to not see the Owl as a symbol of Athens.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You people are thinking about what you like looking at high-res pictures on your computers or phones. You're not thinking about how a flag would look from a ways off, limp, hanging off a flag pole. The owl design is absolutely the best looking but it wouldn't make the best practical flag.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Practicality is why all flags should be tricolors.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
2 would be the best flag if that star was symmetrical. It isn't so owl wins in the basis of that flag being most identifiable from a distance.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Reading about the flags' symbolism on the site, I'm leaning a lot more towards the barn owl.

1. Corners create the shape of Nebraska, kinda, orange represents agricultrue, blue is Salt Creek, which is important to the city, but not in the southwest, the star is the location of the city in Nebraska, orange on the star is still agriculture, but the blue on the star is health and technology, but really the point is to create an arrow on the star pointing upward.

2. Star means capital city, and is also on the horizon of Nebraska for hopes and dreams, and weirdly cockeyed to represent a rustic small town. Arrows pointing inward into the star mean "hey, come to Lincoln Nebraska", but the red hexagons pointing both in and out represent the University of Nebraska.

3. Owls are good. The Barn Owl can adapt from a rural to urban environment, like the people of Lincoln, Nebraska.*

4. Art Deco, colors kinda from the Nebraska flag, design evokes a beacon, a sunset, the capitol building, and " an aerial view of the traditional center of town (13th and O Street)". Google Maps does not corroborate this claim.

*The simplicity of the explanation is undercut by a link to a long web page elaborating further. Blue is the land, contrast increases visibility, owls are even more great, heart is accurate to owl anatomy and represents Lincoln compassionately listening, star eyes represent the "star city" which is apparently what some human somewhere calls Lincoln, have I mentioned that owls are great?

Owlbraham

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You people are thinking about what you like looking at high-res pictures on your computers or phones. You're not thinking about how a flag would look from a ways off, limp, hanging off a flag pole. The owl design is absolutely the best looking but it wouldn't make the best practical flag.

True, but that puts in in good company in the U.S.. Most flags aren’t the most practical flags.

Not my ranking, but this displays them all, and look at all those entered emblems.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Platystemon posted:

True, but that puts in in good company in the U.S.. Most flags aren’t the most practical flags.

Not my ranking, but this displays them all, and look at all those entered emblems.

Kansas lookin at Montana like :wtf:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Platystemon posted:

tell me you're from indiana without telling me you're from indiana

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everything in F tier should be promoted to E tier so that Washington can sit alone on the F tier.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Platystemon posted:

Everything in F tier should be promoted to E tier so that Washington can sit alone on the F tier.

washington's c tier and above hawaii. whoever made this should be banned from maps

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

That tiering bugged me so much I had to go and build my own. It was amazingly cathartic throwing all those flags into the F-tier.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Alaska, Arizona, Iowa, Louisiana, and New Mexico are the only good flags. The rest are all garbage.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All of the "tee hee not technically a confederate treason flag" ones go in F tier. All of the ones that look like a medieval clown suit go in M tier for medieval clown suit and also for Maryland.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

All of the "tee hee not technically a confederate treason flag" ones go in F tier. All of the ones that look like a medieval clown suit go in M tier for medieval clown suit and also for Maryland.

I was about to post this. But they get extra points for being an English flag turned 45 degrees. I'm not sure the points are positive or negative.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Florida's flag is derived from Spain's burgundian cross. Dunno about Alabama but not inclined to be generous.

Confederate Florida had the stars and bars but the stars were the state seal, taking the worst kind of US state flag and making it racist.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

It wouldn't matter if Florida had the world's best flag it'd still suck because it represents the worst place.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dunno about Alabama but not inclined to be generous.
Prior to publishing the 1915 Alabama Official and Statistical Register, Dr. Thomas Owen, director of the Alabama Department of Archives and History interviewed individuals who had been around at the time that the bill was introduced. He concluded that the flag was intended to “preserve in permanent form some of the more distinctive features of the Confederate battle flag, particularly the St. Andrew’s cross” Owen then made the conclusion that the flag should be square, based on the “regulations governing the Confederate battle flag.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dang they found the one guy who remembered that the traitors’ battle flag was square.

For people always talking about “heritage” and how history will be forgotten the moment we take down bad statues of losers, they sure are quiet about that glaring inaccuracy.

This is the one that the First Minnesota Infantry captured at the Battle of Gettysburg.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 15, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
lol when Virginia was like "you can we get that heritage back" and Minnesota was like "lmao. but no."

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
There's a huge tourism opportunity just waiting for whichever of the seal flag states replaces it with a seal seal flag, that is, a flag bearing a state seal depicting either a baby seal or singer-songwriter Seal (their choice).

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull