Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Bro that's Tokyo Tower.

Yeah, a radio tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
in Tokyo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Google keyboard be like:🗼 lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

the gate leading east out of the Mantra HQ is the way to go if you want the prison

but be prepared for Hell Biker
Thank you for this. I was rummaging around in the basement and gave up, completely missing the EXIT on the map.

I got a Strength Demifiend with Focus so said boss got to ate turns of Focus -> Tarukaja -> Pass -> Focus'd Attack to the tune of 600 damage per. Good poo poo

I dipped into the prison dungeon which rules so far in concept, but I actually wanted to explore the Amala network more so I went there. Got drugged and thrown out which was funny as hell. Man this game is so loving good

EDIT: this post was very topical for me

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 13, 2021

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tower of kagutsuchi is cool. i'm so bummed the games almost over

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

post-mantra fiend Hell Biker owned so much. i did not expect that. got a little scared when he gave himself 6 turns lmao. been cleaning up though, I keep forgetting I should be recruiting demons because my team has been carrying me for a long while

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff posted:

post-mantra fiend Hell Biker owned so much. i did not expect that. got a little scared when he gave himself 6 turns lmao. been cleaning up though, I keep forgetting I should be recruiting demons because my team has been carrying me for a long while

i went the same way, at some point my fusions were just way more powerful than anything in the area. worth recruiting randoms for more fusion fodder though

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

You should at least look into fusing hell biker, he kicks rear end. Used him all the way to the end. I even refused him with a better move set once I could

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hell Biker rules and his VA is hilarious

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

god the dungeon aesthetics in this game kick rear end. amala temples maybe the prettiest dungeon i've seen in a ps2 game and there are parts of the tower of kagutsuchi that look just as good. i just got to the "outside" section on floor 322 and i just kind of stared at it in awe for a minute. kaneko ftw and i hope 5 is just as badass

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

You should at least look into fusing hell biker, he kicks rear end. Used him all the way to the end. I even refused him with a better move set once I could

yeah a lot of those Fiend fusions basically work the entire game, I used Daisoujou and Matador for a huge part of the game too

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Daisoujou and Red Rider ftw. I used Daisoujou especially up until the final dungeon and only really swapped him out for a change of pace

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Daisoujou stays good for an absurdly long time for how early you get him. No weaknesses, immune to light/dark/ailments, and he get Prayer and Meditation. He barely needs anything else, maybe throw in Fog Breath or Endure or something.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Daisoujou also has the coolest back story.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I also used Daisoujou for almost the entire game because of prayer/meditation. I also used Mother Harlot for a little while since she reflects physical

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i missed hell rider because i didnt realize the phases of kagutsuchi thing at the time but ive used most of the other fiends at least once. endgame party has trumpeter, mother harlot, and daisoujou in it. trumpeter was probably the only reason i beat noah, gently caress that fight. wasnt bad until he started draining hp but that just turned it into a slog.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Trumpeter is awesome. Especially useful when endgame grinding and he could just OHKO an enemy for free

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

wish I could replicate the noise I made when I thought I had Trumpeter on the ropes, hadn't worked out his fight gimmick yet, and he did a single doot on his trumpet which killed my MC instantly

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

wish I could replicate the noise I made when I thought I had Trumpeter on the ropes, hadn't worked out his fight gimmick yet, and he did a single doot on his trumpet which killed my MC instantly

that was one of the few times I died. "He won't hit us with Evil Melody if we're all fully healed" lol owned

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

smt 5 getting dlc packs day one, one of them called "Return of the True Demon - $9.99"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

smt 5 getting dlc packs day one, one of them called "Return of the True Demon - $9.99"

I think this is the hypest ive been for a game since sekiro.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1451026941209759752?t=M4PrWitGgtJq7Y9kQepGzw&s=19

:staredog:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Return of the True Demon – releasing November 12 (¥ 980 or $8.59)

In the World of Shadows, Sophia gives the protagonist a menorah, which is said to grant either great power or a swift death. With the menorah in hand, the protagonist will be forced to face the terrible Fiends that appear before him. Once a fiend is defeated, they will be unlocked for fusion. And by defeating the Demon-fiend, his Essence can be obtained. Can you survive against the Fiends and their deathly power?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I try not to read too much about games I'm excited about but this is just too hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coIqGXUi6vM&t=65s

Fiends looking straight up gorgeous

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

full pog face at matador. that capote looks so fuckin good

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

do you guys wanna use this as a general SMT thread, including 5 when it comes out? I can update the title/op if so

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ya

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

username/post combo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

do you guys wanna use this as a general SMT thread, including 5 when it comes out? I can update the title/op if so

def. i was planning to play more megami tensei games in general after V/whenever i finish yak5 & 6. make it my next long rear end series goal. so many of my favorite games are SMT games and i still havent experienced lots of the side series or even all the main entries like SMT2, devil summoner games, Strange Journey and If..., etc. smt ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

yeah fine by me. thats pretty much what everyones been doing anyway

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I try not to read too much about games I'm excited about but this is just too hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coIqGXUi6vM&t=65s

Fiends looking straight up gorgeous

ftw

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

yeah go for it, with 5 coming out I imagine a lot of people will probably be checking out other entries in the series anyway so it would be cool to have there be a generalized thread for SMT discussion

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

watched that trailer and god drat I'm hyped

almost want to ng+ nocturne once I'm through my first run of persona 3

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Updated the OP with an epic long Games style thesis detailing everything about the series to excruciating lengths that nobody will actually read.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The SMT5 Digital Deluxe Edition comes with all DLCs for $85 dollars, jesus christ. This site details everything you get: https://www.rpgsite.net/news/11868-day-one-dlc-and-digital-deluxe-edition-detailed-for-shin-megami-tensei-v

I know I'm being taken for a ride, but I'm gonna buy it anyway.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm gonna skip the pack at launch and then find out what parts are the good ones to buy for my 2nd play through

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish it was November 11th.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

I'm gonna skip the pack at launch and then find out what parts are the good ones to buy for my 2nd play through

Not a bad idea. Most of them are single quests in-game to unlock a single demon, which sounds pretty lame tbh. The demifiend pack is the only one I think will be worth it since it adds a new element to the game having the fiends essentially chase you down just like in nocturne

Much to think about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'll get the demi fiend one and nothing else probably. The single quest ones for SMT4 and apocalypse kinda waver in quality and the exp, app point and macca grinding dlcs are nigh game ruining imo...