Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
With the exception of Warrior, every time Hogan lost the title probably counts I guess? The twin refs with Andre, the camera going off in his face with Yokozuna, all that jazz. His loss to Taker was more of a standard run-in clusterfuck though I think.

There had to be loads in the Attitude Era, usually because they wrote themselves into a corner. The one jumping out at me is someone (Bossman) somehow lifting the briefcase whenever Austin climbed the ladder in his match for control of the company versus Vince and Shane. The one-day world title reigns of Kane (in '98) and Mankind (in '99) have this whiff about them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Q7kid posted:

Hell, it didn't improve much after SummerSlam, since the title bounced to Big Show, Angle, and back to Lesnar by WrestleMania XIX.

Big Show's Undisputed Championship reign has to rank among the worst ever. Two title defences - a DQ against Edge and a No Contest with The Fabulous Moolah.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
You might be wondering how world champion Big Show ended up fighting Moolah in 2002. It was because Smackdown GM Stephanie McMahon was on her period.

I wish I was joking.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Big Show's Undisputed Championship reign has to rank among the worst ever. Two title defences - a DQ against Edge and a No Contest with The Fabulous Moolah.

Dare I ask how it went No Contest?

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Maigius posted:

Believe Brock showed up and started a fight that distracted from the match.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Maigius posted:

GM Stephanie McMahon was trying to sign Scott Steiner to SmackDown and was getting stressed out by Bischoff undercutting her. On top of this, Brock Lesnar had done something on the previous week's episode that forced Stephanie to suspend him. Lesnar would leave the building but later purchase a ticket to the event and sit in the audience. Stephanie was heavily booed by the Columbia crowd who were Moolah's hometown. When Moolah turned up in Steph's office looking to plug her autobiography (imagine reading that), Steph took umbrage with Moolah and Columbia, and booked her in the main event against new WWE Champion Big Show. When Big Show was about to execute Moolah with a chokeslam, Lesnar attacked and caused the No Contest.

Sidenote: this episode featured the commentary team of Michael Cole and Ernest The Cat Miller who was filling in for Taz. Taz was away with a "family emergency". Any idea what this was? The birth of Hook?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hook is too old

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

What are some other/earlier examples of WWE/WWF doing bullshit endings to protect someone they didn't want to lose? Not counting run-in clusterfucks, I'm talking more like the TV exploding in Ambrose's face, that rope break in the Balor/Roman match, etc.

The one that sticks out most prominently to me was when JBL retained in a barbed wire cage match, because he crawled out from under the ring to the outside after Big Show slammed him through the mat, in a match where escaping was never considered as a win condition. Though I'm sure there were earlier examples of that.

During the Attitude Era, when Undertaker was champ and leader of the Ministry, Big Show challenged him to a match like halfway through Raw. Big Show dominated and ended up putting Undertaker through the ring with a chokeslam. It was deemed a no contest. I don't think Big Show even got a rematch or anything.

There's also the Cena/Ryback Last Man Standing match where they got tackled into some lights, there was a big explosion and the match was just called off. Even though Ryback was shown walking away a moment later.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The one jumping out at me is someone (Bossman) somehow lifting the briefcase whenever Austin climbed the ladder in his match for control of the company versus Vince and Shane.

This was, amazingly for everyone involved, sort of covered. The stipulation was that no one from the Corporate Ministry would interfere. They kicked Bossman out of the group the week prior, and welcomed him back with open arms the day after the PPV.

We, the viewers, were left to connect the dots because well they only overexplain their stupid bullshit angles when they don't need to, and leave things like this vague.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Gavok posted:

There's also the Cena/Ryback Last Man Standing match where they got tackled into some lights, there was a big explosion and the match was just called off. Even though Ryback was shown walking away a moment later.

This one pisses me off a lot still mostly because it was one of the first pay per views I watched after coming back to wrestling around then. It seriously felt like the officials were kayfabe saving Cena from a loss instead of protecting the guys from themselves.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I remember the NAO had a dumpster match with Foley/Funk that got overturned because they threw their opponents in the wrong dumpster or something cheesy like that? I think it was a reversed decision the next night rather than a dumb finish though.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the dumpster got overturned

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

reality_groove posted:

I remember the NAO had a dumpster match with Foley/Funk that got overturned because they threw their opponents in the wrong dumpster or something cheesy like that? I think it was a reversed decision the next night rather than a dumb finish though.

Foley and Charlie did beat them in a dumpster match but the next night someone reversed it because they didn't use the Official dumpster, just one they found backstage. I think they had a redo that night and it's when the NAO pushed them off the stage inside a dumpster and it was played as a shoot.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought pushing them off the stage in a dumpster was the reason for having a dumpster match at WrestleMania.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

at wm16 they did dumpster in a dumpster

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought pushing them off the stage in a dumpster was the reason for having a dumpster match at WrestleMania.

This is correct. They did a cage match the night after Mania, which was when the Outlaws officially joined DX.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That dumpster match and the angle on Raw ruled. Outlaws started to suck when they joined DX

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Edit: beaten, n/m

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

everything about dx got worse when it changed from an hbk vanity project to a hhh vanity project

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I did like how the NAO seemed disturbed by their own actions with throwing the dumpster off the stage and acted like they went too far, only for Michaels to show up and cut a promo about how they did a great thing. Made them joining DX down the line feel more natural.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I was 13 and brand new to wrestling, but that dumpster match ruled and they should do that again.

Question: when was the last time you remember seeing a ref check the wrestlers boots/gear/etc for foreign objects before the bell? Because I feel like it’s been a very long time.
What I’m saying is people need to start hiding forks and poo poo in their boots again.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Sandman McMahon posted:

I was 13 and brand new to wrestling, but that dumpster match ruled and they should do that again.

Question: when was the last time you remember seeing a ref check the wrestlers boots/gear/etc for foreign objects before the bell? Because I feel like it’s been a very long time.
What I’m saying is people need to start hiding forks and poo poo in their boots again.

Years ago I saw somebody--Shane Douglas, maybe?--get caught with both brass knuckles in the trunks AND a chain in his boot during the ref check. Also though that was a cute touch.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Sandman McMahon posted:

It happens all the time in Japan. Ryo Mizunami has a bit where she slaps the referee's back as they check her boots.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sandman McMahon posted:

Before every match in Japan pretty much. Well, OK, not quite but a cursory search before the match is the norm in New Japan, and often Toru Yano is caught with tape or handcuffs on him.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Yeah I thought it was the norm still. Last time I personally saw it was during last night's All Japan show that i'm catching up on right now

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ken Patera once told a story about how he had changed into his gear, and while he was distracted talking to someone, his wallet fell out of his pants, and he absently stuck it in his trucks, then promptly forgot about it.

Then when he got to the ring, the ref pointed out the bulge, and Patera was like "Oh poo poo", and he handed it over to the ref for safekeeping. At which point the crowd began booing ever louder because they thought he was paying off the ref.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I would find random poo poo around the venue, screwdrivers, box cutters, rulers, pre packaged food or candy, other peoples gear or keys ect and hide them on my person and not tell the ref. I'd have some obvious lumps in my gear and I would fegin ignorance till he got them all.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

At an indie show I went to last night the face had a pair of brass knucks in his knee pad which the referee missed. He then slipped them into the heel managers pocket and demanded the referee search him. He did, and the manager was ejected to a massive roar of approval from the crowd

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was fond of that time the ref searched William Regal, took brass knuckles from him, then he pulled out another pair and hit the opponent while the ref was putting the first ones away

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

There was also the spot where tag partners would pass them back and forth while the ref searched

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

SG Bamboo posted:

At an indie show I went to last night the face had a pair of brass knucks in his knee pad which the referee missed. He then slipped them into the heel managers pocket and demanded the referee search him. He did, and the manager was ejected to a massive roar of approval from the crowd

That's awesome. I love Trickster Babyfaces.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I was fond of that time the ref searched William Regal, took brass knuckles from him, then he pulled out another pair and hit the opponent while the ref was putting the first ones away

There’s also the Brodie Lee spot too, referee stooped down to check the boots and Lee hit the huge boot over the ref.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I remember randomly coming across a Florida Brothers/Express match where the ref did the check and found nothing untoward in their gear. The match ended with them getting a win via DQ doing the Eddie Guerrero chair spot (throw the chair to the opponent who catches it, while they play dead), and then immediately and smugly revealed their ruse to the ref after he'd called for the bell with exaggerated gaijin accents, while the ref was like "GODDAMNIT!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SG Bamboo posted:

Man, that feels like something face Eddie Gilbert would have done. I love it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MD2020 posted:

Years ago I saw somebody--Shane Douglas, maybe?--get caught with both brass knuckles in the trunks AND a chain in his boot during the ref check. Also though that was a cute touch.

This also happened with DDP when he faced Goldberg again, ref found a roll of quarters and brass knucks as well?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I was watching a NOAH match when I noticed that Katsuhiko Nakajima was wearing a pair of bands around the fingers of his right hand (left hand was bare). What are they for?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Is it something he normally does? Because some wrestlers tape their fingers in peculiar ways. Rick Steiner, on one hand, would tape his first two fingers together, and the last two fingers together (think like a Vulcan salute), and then on his other hand, tape the middle and ring finger together.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Lily Catts posted:

I was watching a NOAH match when I noticed that Katsuhiko Nakajima was wearing a pair of bands around the fingers of his right hand (left hand was bare). What are they for?

At least in Judo, fingers are sometimes taped together so they are less likely to break e.g. if they get caught badly in the opponent's clothing during grappling. I'm guessing the idea here is similar? Could be that he has a history of broken fingers on his right hand or something.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Why did Ted DiBiase never get a real title run, just bad timing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Why did Ted DiBiase never get a real title run, just bad timing?

He was supposed to win the WM4 tournament.

You get 3 guesses why he didn't.