Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It seems weird to me to be sad when someone who supported the death penalty gets murdered. Isn't that what they liked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

What are you basing this idea on though bud? From chatting to people, smart people, foolish people, wealthy people, poor people etc all of them may feel joy and other things, but often people also feel worry and have complaints about the world. I don't think that saying "it's not like this" is necessarily true. For instance there is currently a, somewhat accurate, diagnosis of "SLS" or "poo poo life syndrome" in my nation state, heck it even got a wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shit_Life_Syndrome. Most people are alienated from what they want and what they think they want. It's part of life and living with that is just normal.

Honestly, and I mean this with no disrespect or malice, but I don't think I have it in me to actually argue that people aren't naturally unhappy. Like to me that is an absurd thing to have to posit.

I will say this - you don't have to have everything you want to be content. Barring mental illness, all you need is safety and a stable living situation.

Josef bugman posted:

This sounds very much like "just think yourself to self-esteem, idiot". People feel miserable and unhappy for a whole bunch of reasons. Sometimes they are even "legitimate" ones, and the idea that they can't be helped or that "urgh just leave them, they'll amount to nothing" is a bit hosed up TBH.

It's hard to explain if you've never been in that situation. I guarantee there is someone reading this right now thinking about that relative or old friend or coworker they tried to help for years who kept loving themselves over until it was undeniable that they didn't want to be helped.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PHUO: the idea that humans are inherently bad is bullshit. Overwhelmingly, we choose to help each other. That's kinda how we got to apex species.

Like, look at the Superdome after Hurricane Katrina. The assumption was that it was an anarchic hell of rape, murder, and robbery. The reality is that no one died who wasn't already sick, everyone was too busy helping each other to do crimes, and the one known sexual assault was stopped by random people who saw what was happening and curbstomped the rapist.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Because of the alcohol, or an unrelated witch's curse?

Let’s just say the alcohol wasn’t involved

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Manager Hoyden posted:

Honestly, and I mean this with no disrespect or malice, but I don't think I have it in me to actually argue that people aren't naturally unhappy. Like to me that is an absurd thing to have to posit.

It's hard to explain if you've never been in that situation. I guarantee there is someone reading this right now thinking about that relative or old friend or coworker they tried to help for years who kept loving themselves over until it was undeniable that they didn't want to be helped.

I don't think people are "naturally" always unhappy. Merely that dissatisfaction and some level of stress are ground states of being for most people.

Most of the people I have encountered who "couldn't help themselves" usually had a mental health condition. They were trying, as best they could, to deal with things. It's just that the ways of dealing with it are often bad or at least bad for them.

I'd say under stress most people will respond better. You want a test of character it usually seems to involve giving a person power.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PHUO: the idea that humans are inherently bad is bullshit. Overwhelmingly, we choose to help each other. That's kinda how we got to apex species.

Like, look at the Superdome after Hurricane Katrina. The assumption was that it was an anarchic hell of rape, murder, and robbery. The reality is that no one died who wasn't already sick, everyone was too busy helping each other to do crimes, and the one known sexual assault was stopped by random people who saw what was happening and curbstomped the rapist.

On the other hand R. Kelly and Weinstein were able to do what they did because they were helped by a lot of people, all working together to their mutual benefit. Apex indeed.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

God would not have created the human race just to be naturally unhappy, come on now

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

oldpainless posted:

God would not have created the human race just to be naturally unhappy, come on now

:yeah:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yep, it's why I dislike a lot of the weirder grimdark poo poo where some poo poo happens and people all immediately turn on each other.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

I don't think people are "naturally" always unhappy. Merely that dissatisfaction and some level of stress are ground states of being for most people.

Most crappy people maybe. Cut them out of your life and your life will be better.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

PHUO re: alcohol chat: self-control and self-regulation should be taught in school. we can and should teach people to recognize and control their impulses, especially violent and addictive ones, instead of relying on parents for that poo poo.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Gaius Marius posted:

:yeah:

Yep, it's why I dislike a lot of the weirder grimdark poo poo where some poo poo happens and people all immediately turn on each other.

Every post-apocalypse story gets humanity so absolutely wrong.

Times of intense struggle see the majority of people working together to survive, not just slaughtering for a can of beans.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'd like to think that would apply in an apocalypse situation, but in those cases the authorities were still in control. We've never seen what happens when the military and cops abandon their duties and try to survive like the rest of us.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'd like to think that would apply in an apocalypse situation, but in those cases the authorities were still in control. We've never seen what happens when the military and cops abandon their duties and try to survive like the rest of us.

Do you mean or in fiction or in real life? Because either way you are extremely wrong.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Just saying I think people will act very differently if they believe order will never be restored compared to temporary disturbances where you know the chaos is going to end eventually.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
phuo: people contain multitudes and so do groups and societies that people form. good behaviour and altruism are not a guaranteed outcome, but neither is violence or gently caress-you-got-mine-ism. assuming either as a baseline rather than one of many possibilities will not get you anywhere good, imo

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

nurmie posted:

phuo: people contain multitudes and so do groups and societies that people form. good behaviour and altruism are not a guaranteed outcome, but neither is violence or gently caress-you-got-mine-ism. assuming either as a baseline rather than one of many possibilities will not get you anywhere good, imo

Agree with all of this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Every post-apocalypse story gets humanity so absolutely wrong.

Times of intense struggle see the majority of people working together to survive, not just slaughtering for a can of beans.

One of the few that actually does get it right is The Road. Strange as in the general imagination it seems people find it to be a grimdark affair. The father in that book shares the same kind of negative mentality as you see many espousing, while also trying to shield his own son from it throughout the novel to preserve his innocence. It isn't until his death when it seems all hope is lost for the Boy, that he finds a group of kindhearted strangers who help him out of pure altruism, despite how dire the state of the world is

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
There are all sorts of people but generally people like working together to form societies because they make it easier to brew beer

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I have a cold, every single muscle in my body hurts, my knees are in agony, and im coughing my guts up every 2 minutes. But I'm being driven to the shop because there is nothing to alleviate this hell here, and Amazon only sells this poo poo in bulk. And I'm extremely lucky im not living on my own otherwise I'd have to take public transportation.

So I have to put someone at risk of catching this disease, to get things that mean im not damaging my throat or already-asthmatic-lungs, from all of the coughing. Or having an aneurysm from the coughing and my very high blood pressure

boy i sure wish we had something like one day delivery for small items right now... i could have ordered this poo poo yesterday...

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 13:58 on Oct 18, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

The reason we dont already have all of this stuff here is because it's been 2+ years since I came down with something that wasn't covid, so it all went past its expiry date.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

alexandriao posted:

The reason we dont already have all of this stuff here is because it's been 2+ years since I came down with something that wasn't covid, so it all went past its expiry date.

99% of medicine expiry dates just mean the drug has lost a bit of potency.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

99% of medicine expiry dates just mean the drug has lost a bit of potency.

Each type of medicine needs to be looked at individually, because there is a lot of dangerous leeway in broad statements. Even something as minor as asprin can make you sick as gently caress when it goes bad. Asprin in particular starts breaking down and offgassing kind of a vinegar smell.

alexandriao posted:

I have a cold, every single muscle in my body hurts, my knees are in agony, and im coughing my guts up every 2 minutes. But I'm being driven to the shop because there is nothing to alleviate this hell here, and Amazon only sells this poo poo in bulk. And I'm extremely lucky im not living on my own otherwise I'd have to take public transportation.

So I have to put someone at risk of catching this disease, to get things that mean im not damaging my throat or already-asthmatic-lungs, from all of the coughing. Or having an aneurysm from the coughing and my very high blood pressure

boy i sure wish we had something like one day delivery for small items right now... i could have ordered this poo poo yesterday...

Hope you feel better soon and have a smoooth recovery. Sounds like you could use a bit of a break.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

there's a nonzero chance werewolfs are real

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Oh they’re real. My friend’s ex-wife once interviewed a bunch of “vampires” and “werewolves” in New Orleans for some goth magazine/webzine/something. She said all the werewolves she interviewed were really nice. The vampires were very condescending though.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's not "ewww some of that might stick to me", it's that miserable people generally choose to be miserable*. Hell, that's understating it - miserable people will fight to stay miserable. And they'll also fight to make you miserable right along with them. Help doesn't do poo poo for them. Solve every single one of their problems and they'll build them right back. They're addicted to self-destructive thinking.

*obviously not people who like stepped on a landmine or were born without a butthole or something
Removing all the negative people from your life while insisting that people are basically happy is like insisting there's no problem with homelessness because you paid to live in a gated community.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Gripweed posted:

there's a nonzero chance werewolfs are real

yeah but we tend to ignore Planck numbers when calculating chances of things

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

As a society we should feel bad about how quickly we ruined the word himbo.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Nameless Pete posted:

Removing all the negative people from your life while insisting that people are basically happy is like insisting there's no problem with homelessness because you paid to live in a gated community.

Okay let me rephrase then

There are enough happy people around to live as if unhappy people don't exist, and it is extremely good and right to do so

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Oct 19, 2021

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
So, solipsism?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
La Butte Rouge is the best song of real poo poo

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Nameless Pete posted:

So, solipsism?

You know how people cut out their friends or relatives because they voted for Trump? It's like that but for people that wallow in their own misery. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Robobot posted:

You know how people cut out their friends or relatives because they voted for Trump? It's like that but for people that wallow in their own misery. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's not that hard of a concept to grasp.

It is because, ultimately, how we define "wallowing" is going to be a big old question mark.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
so fygm with more words okay great. you are correct that it is unpopular

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I mean I have more unpopular opinions if folks would prefer?

Our way of viewing ourselves is always going to rely on external observers.

Sadness and misery are just as much part of life as joy and, indeed, can be part of the bedrock of life.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
edit nm

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Oct 20, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s okay to not want to hang out with someone because they’re constantly a gigantic bummer. Life is short

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The key is to bottle it all up so nobody knows about it and you never talk about it, that way you can still have friends.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Maybe we could just ship all the sad people off to an island somewhere so they could be sad on their own? You know, kinda like Ireland but happier.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s okay to not want to hang out with someone because they’re constantly a gigantic bummer. Life is short

This is true and more people need to understand it.

One of my best friends goes through depressive episodes (less lately thanks to meds+therapy) and it's sometimes really hard to be friends with him during this time. Like, it's miserable to be around him, I don't have the social intelligence or energy to deal with it when it's bad. I have to remind myself that he's not always like this.

If that was who he was all the time, I likely would have never have become good friends with him in the first place. My mental health isn't capable of surviving someone else's issues long-term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Life is short, gently caress all your friends with mental health issues.