Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

This is a great point.

Software updates are loving constant and have a way of eventually crippling the devices they're designed to run on because the speed of software innovation outpaces the hardware on whatever it is you're using.

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on the telehealth thing? NPR did a segment on it today and it seems most people would still much prefer to actually visit a doctor, myself included, especially if it's something more than just having a sore throat or some poo poo. I'm afraid it will become the new norm and I worry about older people who need doctors the most who may not be up to speed on the smart phone video calls and poo poo. I bet it's a loving nightmare for them when just having to visit a doctor in the first place for whatever ails them probably already sucks poo poo.

It will likely cut down on costs to providers but there's no way that patients will ever see any of that savings. I don't like it. Seeing my shrink or attending virtual AA meetings kind of defeat the point for me but I think that's where we're headed.

I don't think telehealth is going to replace in-person doctoring. If anything, the goal is for it to become part of the pipeline to in-person doctoring, dragging people into the system to rack up further bills.

The theory is that since telehealth is easier and quicker than regular doctor's appointments, people might be more willing to schedule them for things they might bother setting up a real doctor's appointment for, allowing the medical system to collect some money for things that otherwise would have gone unseen. It becomes a funnel to draw people into the system.

But if it turns out your issue isn't obviously minor enough to be be solved with over-the-counter medicine or a basic catch-all prescription, then all the telehealth doctor can really do is tell you to come see a real doctor - often an urgent care or ER. So in the case of a real issue, the medical system at large gets paid for the telehealth, and then gets paid for the actual in-person visit the telehealth doc tells you to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

And consequently, if you're living with public sector health-care then telehealth is 90% a grift to pillage the public purse.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't think telehealth is going to replace in-person doctoring. If anything, the goal is for it to become part of the pipeline to in-person doctoring, dragging people into the system to rack up further bills.

The theory is that since telehealth is easier and quicker than regular doctor's appointments, people might be more willing to schedule them for things they might bother setting up a real doctor's appointment for, allowing the medical system to collect some money for things that otherwise would have gone unseen. It becomes a funnel to draw people into the system.

But if it turns out your issue isn't obviously minor enough to be be solved with over-the-counter medicine or a basic catch-all prescription, then all the telehealth doctor can really do is tell you to come see a real doctor - often an urgent care or ER. So in the case of a real issue, the medical system at large gets paid for the telehealth, and then gets paid for the actual in-person visit the telehealth doc tells you to make.

To be fair, I don't need to bring myself down in person and wait an hour in a waiting room just to say "it burns when I pee" or "I can't get hard" or "I've got a rash on my stomach and it is unclear why" some other issue that can very much be diagnosed remotely. Or when going is not an option. I used telehealth a couple years ago, when I threw out my back on an evening. I didn't want to deal with going to the hospital just to get a $50 charge tacked on for aspirin, along with the $500 or whatever bill for just showing up, so I called the telehealth line. The diagnosis was "yeah you should definitely get that checked out in person, if you cannot get up off the floor that is usually quite bad and needs attention" which was at least a nice step to know before I wasted everyone's time and money.

To be fair, at the Urgent Care place they went :stonk: and threw painkillers at me before telling me where to schedule physical therapy, but it remained a lot cheaper and simpler than an ER visit.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Lotta NHS GPs in the UK went to phone consults first, with in person only when necessary, in the 2020 lockdown. And it's worked OK enough.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Phone consults are just a whole lot more efficient than in-person consults tend to be. There's a lot of check-ins out there that need a five minute conversation rather than a full clinic visit.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

divabot posted:

Lotta NHS GPs in the UK went to phone consults first, with in person only when necessary, in the 2020 lockdown. And it's worked OK enough.

Telemedicine is good, it allows people to ask qualified professionals about health problems before they snowball into something more serious. Calling in a scam is a sign of cynicism that borders on the pathological.

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 17, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Telemedicine is especially nice for follow up appointments. I don't need to drive somewhere and wait hours just to tell the doctor "Yeah, I'm better now, thanks!"

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

As a sickly mutant who regularly needs to see a doctor, I can't count how many times I've had to set aside most of a day just for a three minute appointment. I've probably wasted weeks of my life in waiting rooms. Telehealth rules.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah. Telehealth means that when the doctor's late, I'm sitting in the comfort of my own home rather than an uncomfortable office waiting room.

The problem I see is practice rather than theory. In practice, insurance companies and the National Health are going to be in control over whether you get a telehealth or in-person appointment, rather than the doctor's deciding what's necessary. It's going to be expensive or impossible to say "I've had this pain for over a month, I want to talk to you and have you do an examination."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I can see how telehealth is good for a few things and you guys raise some good points but I'm not a fan of it overall and I still wonder how non tech savvy seniors whose VCR's are still flashing 12:00 deal with it. It saves time for routine matters for sure and helps people who can't afford to miss work hours but I went through a 2 week ordeal recently where I was misdiagnosed with bronchitis and wound up wrecked with pneumonia that I think would have been caught with an in person visit.

I don't think it's a proper substitute for things like therapy and AA meeting either, nor do I think that the cost savings will be passed on to consumers.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Oh sure, you can absolutely gently caress it up, and add the hosed up US system and nothing good is likely

Old ppl do phone calls just fine

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm glad teleheath is offered as on option now that covid has eased back on the lockdowns, and for some stuff its great. I absolutely think saying "no, I need an in person appointment" is great too, but the fact that in person appointments with my doc take over a month to schedule mean it's not gonna catch anything urgent.

Thats the poo poo urgent care exists for

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

I'm glad teleheath is offered as on option now that covid has eased back on the lockdowns, and for some stuff its great. I absolutely think saying "no, I need an in person appointment" is great too, but the fact that in person appointments with my doc take over a month to schedule mean it's not gonna catch anything urgent.

Those places are actively useless and a scam, at least for women in the South. My wife has went to one like, four or five times, and they always either disbelieve her or treat her less seriously I'm assuming bc she's a woman. One of them diagnosed her serious stomach pain as indigestion and then a few hours later at work she had to go the hospital. Apparently a cyst burst!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Those places are actively useless and a scam, at least for women in the South. My wife has went to one like, four or five times, and they always either disbelieve her or treat her less seriously I'm assuming bc she's a woman. One of them diagnosed her serious stomach pain as indigestion and then a few hours later at work she had to go the hospital. Apparently a cyst burst!

Sounds like she just couldn't stomach the pain :smuggo:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's like medical help, but with call centers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Sinclair TV likely suffering from Ransomware

https://twitter.com/campuscodi/status/1449882031475863556?s=20

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I can see how telehealth is good for a few things and you guys raise some good points but I'm not a fan of it overall and I still wonder how non tech savvy seniors whose VCR's are still flashing 12:00 deal with it.

My wife is a GP and was providing telehealth consults for most of the last 18 months in a rural area to a largely elderly population. It was almost exclusively phone calls because of a) the tech problem you've mentioned above, and b) shithouse internet/phone reception that made video calls unreliable.

The patients loved it because it was far more convenient, they could get an appointment often for the same day, and for most of the visits it was sufficient. For anything that couldn't be easily diagnosed or handled, a follow-up was booked in. Note that this was all bulk billed so it cost the patient nothing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I can see how telehealth is good for a few things and you guys raise some good points but I'm not a fan of it overall and I still wonder how non tech savvy seniors whose VCR's are still flashing 12:00 deal with it.

What do you mean by "it"? Do you mean "using a telephone to call someone and speak to them"? Because it seems that those seniors as a general population are a lot better at it than a lot of younger population groups.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

everything in the south is actively useless and a scam, particularly if you are a woman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

RFC2324 posted:

everything in the south is actively useless and a scam, particularly if you are a woman.

It did come up elsewhere that Americans instinctively associate a cheerful Southern accent with someone trying to scam them.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

RFC2324 posted:

I had a 6 month stint at a company in Los Angeles (ended in Feb.) that did everything from comic books to beer to phones and managed to keep the office open during lockdown because they had 2 people (out of around 30) doing their telemedicine thing.

Clever.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The South is actively useless and a scam, at least for women.

See, there's your problem.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Motronic posted:

What do you mean by "it"? Do you mean "using a telephone to call someone and speak to them"? Because it seems that those seniors as a general population are a lot better at it than a lot of younger population groups.

Video conferencing

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Video conferencing

Not all telemedicine encounters are by video. Also, a video call is that thing they learned how to click on in order to see their grandkids during the pandemic.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think there is another technology that is often unusable by sick older people: Driving places

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BiggerBoat posted:

Video conferencing

I can only hope that, when I am 70, people aren’t being this insultingly infantilizing about my ability to function.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Baronash posted:

I can only hope that, when I am 70, people aren’t being this insultingly infantilizing about my ability to function.

Connecting to the metaverse with your implant isn't that hard grandpa!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

MiddleOne posted:

And consequently, if you're living with public sector health-care then telehealth is 90% a grift to pillage the public purse.

I can't believe that, we've had to go on so many bullshit visits ot the hospital and they cost 40 euros per visit per kid (twins with medical issues). Phonecalls instead of visits have been money savers for us and lost money for the hospital since they couldn't charge us the visitation fee. Some countries might not have that particular piece of shittery though, and it was ok here when it was like 10 euros, but it has ballooned in order to keep the rich peoples taxes low.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Or reminds me of the sentiment that in late capitalism, every product becomes not only useless but an actively malicious imitation of what it's supposed to be.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or reminds me of the sentiment that in late capitalism, every product becomes not only useless but an actively malicious imitation of what it's supposed to be.

"I'm sorry, but you can't legally call that garbage ice cream, use something else."

* Shoppers at a supermarket *

"Ooh, frozen dessert! Let's have that!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

"I'm sorry, but you can't legally call that garbage ice cream, use something else."

* Shoppers at a supermarket *

"Ooh, frozen dessert! Let's have that!"

itym frozen dairy treat, thank you.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or reminds me of the sentiment that in late capitalism, every product becomes not only useless but an actively accidentally malicious imitation of what it's supposed to be.

*glances at thread title*
FTFY.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The NYT reports that Nuclear Fusion Edges Toward the Mainstream (You Have Never Heard This Before). Apparently, "Long-shot money is flowing into start-ups that seek the energy of the stars. Driving the investments is a rising alarm about global warming."

quote:

No one knows when fusion energy will become commercially viable, but driving the private investments is a rising alarm about global warming.

“Nobody has a better plan to deal with the climate crisis,” said David Kingham, one of the three co-founders of a company called Tokamak Energy that has raised about $200 million, mostly from private sources.

At Tokamak Energy, a goal is to eventually heat isotopes of hydrogen hot enough so that their atoms combine in a reaction that releases enormous amounts of energy. This is the essence of fusion, often described as the energy behind the sun and stars.

At the company’s laboratory in a business park outside Oxford, there is a warning on the public address system every 15 to 20 minutes that a test is coming and everyone should stay out of the room with the fusion device, which is 14 feet high with thick steel walls. There is a whirring sound that lasts about a second. Then a monitor shows an eerie pulsing video of the inside of the device as a powerful beam blasts into superheated gas known as a plasma.

During the test, Tokamak’s prototype machine, which cost 50 million pounds to build, reached 11 million degrees Celsius. The scientists figure they need to reach 100 million degrees Celsius, or about seven times the temperature at the core of the sun. They expect to get there by year’s end.

Look, I know there's still plenty of serious fusion-related plasma physics research going on around the world but maybe a healthy dose of skepticism would be warranted here since the only novelty here seems to be VC money desperate for returns anywhere there's even a minuscule chance of finding them. I'm pretty sure the DOE spends a bucketload more than $100M on this sort of thing annually.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Theranos but with nukes

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

eXXon posted:

The NYT reports that Nuclear Fusion Edges Toward the Mainstream (You Have Never Heard This Before). Apparently, "Long-shot money is flowing into start-ups that seek the energy of the stars. Driving the investments is a rising alarm about global warming."

Look, I know there's still plenty of serious fusion-related plasma physics research going on around the world but maybe a healthy dose of skepticism would be warranted here since the only novelty here seems to be VC money desperate for returns anywhere there's even a minuscule chance of finding them. I'm pretty sure the DOE spends a bucketload more than $100M on this sort of thing annually.

Yeah, this is nothing and really doesn't make Fusion anymore near ready for power generation than it was before.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It's probably people excited about a successful ignition experiment a couple months back, which is big news but is only step one in actual fusion generation. It's still a long way off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fool of sound posted:

It's probably people excited about a successful ignition experiment a couple months back, which is big news but is only step one in actual fusion generation. It's still a long way off.

And worth noting that the National Ignition Facility isn't really a good model other than maybe testing containment materials, since its mostly aimed at testing Nuclear Weapons models.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Theranos but with nukes

Fusion reactors don't cause nuclear-sized explosions if something goes wrong, but yeah it sounds like this is Theranos But Fusion Power

The article had me intrigued until I saw the $100m tagline, along with "yeah it's just another Tokamak reactor lol." The amount the USG spends on Fusion research annually is loving shameful (someone share that Fusion Never graph) but this isn't going to be enough to move the needle.

The "I'll start the wiki" of the goon version of Fusion Research

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

Fusion reactors don't cause nuclear-sized explosions if something goes wrong, but yeah it sounds like this is Theranos But Fusion Power

The article had me intrigued until I saw the $100m tagline, along with "yeah it's just another Tokamak reactor lol." The amount the USG spends on Fusion research annually is loving shameful (someone share that Fusion Never graph) but this isn't going to be enough to move the needle.

The "I'll start the wiki" of the goon version of Fusion Research

Even then most Nuclear fission reactors do not either, its been one of the biggest issues in doing Nuclear Science and Energy outreach is explaining that's not how they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CommieGIR posted:

Even then most Nuclear fission reactors do not either, its been one of the biggest issues in doing Nuclear Science and Energy outreach is explaining that's not how they work.

has anyone considered that people would like them MORE if they were more likely to go up in a cool explosion?