Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

NewFatMike posted:

E: I've gone on a run of cigar cutters, and while I'm pleased with them, would there be any interest on reading my thoughts?

Yes please! I have an okay Xicar cutter but I'd like something sharper.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Double post!

I've had sort of a hard time finding time to sit out for a smoke lately, so I've had a few late nights on the deck after my girlfriend goes to bed and I do the dishes.

Yesterday I had a bit more time, so I had MF La Opulencia corona. It smoked surprisingly well, considering how cold and windy it was. Plenty of the deep rich pepper and plush tangy chocolate.

Tonight I only have like 20 minutes or so, so I'm hitting up an old reliable, the Macanudo Cafe Caviar (the petite corona size). It's not very fancy, but the light espresso and cream flavor is just fine, and it's smoking a lot easier than some of the fancier cigars I've had lately.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I will have to try one to see if it takes the crown from Oliva's Serie G on this one. Gonna be tough.

I don't even think they're in remotely the same class personally. The G isn't even my highest rated Oliva- that goes to the Serie V, Melanio, the Master blends 3, and the Nub Dub. The Bijou is better than all of those and I LOVE all those Olivas I mentioned.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Gramps posted:

I don't even think they're in remotely the same class personally. The G isn't even my highest rated Oliva- that goes to the Serie V, Melanio, the Master blends 3, and the Nub Dub. The Bijou is better than all of those and I LOVE all those Olivas I mentioned.

Serie V Lanceros are a gift from God. The only thing is most of the time I smoke my pipe, and the lanceros smoke quickly if I forget to “adjust” my puffing style.

I have my last bowl of Frog Morten On The Town to burn in about three hours. One of my 70+ y/o friends is moving to a Mississippi retirement home for veterans and today is his last day with us, so I may smoke a Kristoff with him instead. I’m going to miss him because he was a forensics guy with the FBI for forty years and I met him twenty years ago when he certified my set up in the DNA station in the lab in Nashville . We ran into each other randomly at the Tinderbox in Memphis five years ago and he came with us to the socially-distant smoking club after lockdown. He’s very smart and wrote a few books on both forensic techniques and how to carry yourself as an expert witness in court, and strategies lawyers use to cast doubt on you credentials or character. Considering I’m the youngest in the group at 47, I hope we’ll see him again soon.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

My CigarPage order showed up really fast this time and I am AMPED. Dunbarton Mi Queridas, Casa Cuba Doble Tres, Jaime Garcia Reserva Belicoso, and Umbagog Corona Gordas. These are all super supremo sticks that I recommend everyone try ASAP. Now to decide which one to smoke first...

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kenning posted:

Yes please! I have an okay Xicar cutter but I'd like something sharper.

Hell yeah, I'll put one together!

Gramps posted:

My CigarPage order showed up really fast this time and I am AMPED. Dunbarton Mi Queridas, Casa Cuba Doble Tres, Jaime Garcia Reserva Belicoso, and Umbagog Corona Gordas. These are all super supremo sticks that I recommend everyone try ASAP. Now to decide which one to smoke first...

hachi machi those are some favorites of mine. Your boy is placing a big order this weekend!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I forgot to emphasize this point in my last post but Yes, Cigar Page will sell Casa Cubas online, which is very notable as they're pretty much in person retailer only from what I've seen, but page has em and will sell them to you, at a discount even. They absolutely rule so you should get some.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
If your Xikar cutter is dull, either take it to an authorized retailer or mail it in. They will replace it

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 12, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That pricing on CP is $8 cheaper by the box than Atlantic, think I'm gonna jump on that this payday.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
On today's episode of Things That Should Shock No One, the redux of the Frank for this year's Tatuaje release is killer, and huge.

It's like, sweet cocoa, barnyard hay, leather, cedar, with a black pepper that mellows out but keeps showing up on the retro. I bought a box because I'm a sicker for limited and spooky things but definitely try and grab one if you can!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
So this is getting released some time this year

La Gloria Cubana Glorias (6 1/8 (156mm) x 49)

My wallet will be suffering greatly when they are released.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein and I blasted a Tatuaje Frank earlier and even though it's a WAY bigger stick than I usually go for I'd say it's a must try and worth the effort to track down. Deeeeelicious.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Smoking a 2008 ERDM CS while I do some chemical warfare to the yellow jacket nest behind my compost bins.

I still maintain that the ERDM CS has one of the most pleasant and approachable flavor profiles of any cigar I’ve ever had. A little drier than I’m used to but I generally only smoke them with 1-3 years of age on them. Very pleasant nonetheless.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I made a discord. If you want an invite shoot me a pm.
Normally I would just post it but this being in the public section of the forum... id rather not.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Alrighty, here comes the cutters post!

I've gone a little...cutter crazy lately. It started with picking up a punch cutter at Appleton Cigar and Souvenir in Appleton, WI. It was bullet shaped, cost like $9, and kept losing one of the threaded caps. It was very frustrating.

First, I want to start that if you're not a complete grognard like me, you probably only need one or two cutters. If I could only recommend one or two, they would be (in order) the Palio guillotine cutter and the Vector Zorro punch cutter. Full stop. My Palio has gone through a couple hundred cigars by now and shows no signs of stopping.

But if you, like me, are a weirdo and think about your cutter a lot, I'm very excited to talk a little more about your cutters, this is very exciting. The Vector Zorro is still my favorite on the punch front - the way it retracts the cutting blade is really very smart and the fact that it all stays in one place keeps it near the top of the list for me at any rate.

The Palio is unsatisfactory for a few reasons. It isn't very obviously user serviceable for one. I would guess that a lot of the ways one would access its assemblage is hidden under the powder coating, which can be sloppy. The cutter is advertised to be self-sharpening, which makes this less of a problem, but there is one final nail in the coffin for me: it doesn't fit around all cigars. This wasn't a big problem until I was shorting a stick for my brother-in-law, and it simply could not fit around the entire cigar. A $2 liquor store special rescued that, though!

On that note, one of the reasons why I don't enjoy the sub-$10 black plastic specials is because they dull quickly and are designed to be disposable. I really value decreasing waste, and cigar smoking has a whole ritual aspect to it that I enjoy so much, so why not extend that to the preparation?

This led me to the Fox Knives Cigar Cutter. I already had some mystery scissor types that I don't care to review - they're likely an import special I picked up on the cheap years ago. These are unique, though. There is a restrained track on these, so you can't fit everything in there - it'll cut right into the mid-50s ring gauge, wise. These are unique, though, in that they can do some shaping rather easily.

The Fox Knives cutter, though, does need some interfacing. It uses a series of screws to keep the linkages together, and mine out of the box were a little loose, leading to poorly-sheared cuts. After a quick tightening with a flathead on my multitool, though, it started working great! You can tune the resistance a bit as well, which is nice. Even now, well-tuned and tightened, after cutting through you need to give it a quick twist to complete the cut, but it's overall a more controlled experience than I have with other cutters. Being able to adjust your angle of approach and ability to shape things down a bit makes it my favorite cutter (along with my Vector Zorro) in my set.

The plain and simple reason why I recommend the Palio over this is that I am a machinist type and enjoy this level of tweaking, and I can grind or sharpen the blade back to where I want it to be easily enough.

Lastly, a birthday gift from me to me was the Quad Table Cutter and this is really fun. I might be tempted to recommend this as the cutter for a household as well. I haven't cracked it open to learn how to fix it up, but these types of things are rather reliable. They rely a lot more on torque from the lever than they do from super sharpness like handheld cutters. It's certainly my most fun cutter, and if you're like me and like to go between straight cuts and V cuts, it's hard not to recommend. A little cap on the bottom lets you get rid of the old caps and whatnot that have built up.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
That fox looks like a sharp, dangerous Rube Goldberg machine and for that reason I must have it. Might pick up that punch too since I love punching and I'm using the built in one on the bottom of a lovely Diesel whiskey barrel lighter, that shits gotta go.

Good writeup!

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I haven't had many cigars recently. They're too expensive here, customs and postage is a pain, and the ones I have gotten have either been horrible constructed or just smoke awfully.

I was hankering for one recently, and instead of going to the only shop with a tiny humidor in my city, to pay €18 for a Trinidad Reyes with no age on it I just bought some cigarillos in the petrol station. Some Ritmeester. Dutch cigarillo, machine-made, plastic tip on them and they smoked perfectly. Then, after being a complete hassle to the young lad in the shop, I picked up some slightly larger Ritmeesters. They too smoked perfectly, have a nice taste, and I can get 5 cigarillos for a fiver or five a-bit-smaller-than-petit-coronas for a tenner.

I think this is why I never see anyone smoking cigars here but you'd see someone smoking a cigarillo in holiday town beer garden often enough.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Didn’t love this, but the back 1/3 is exquisite. Tatuaje does em right.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I need to try more Tatuaje stuff, since the Garcias are wizards.

Currently enjoying a beautiful MF La Antiguedad double corona on the deck.

It's got this rich subtle note that's like just the toasted part of a toasted marshmallow, supported by that potpourri note that you find in so many My Father released. Beautiful smoke, only needed a few touch-ups with the lighter and PerfecDraw, but very nice in the hand.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 17, 2021

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
Return of smoking log:

https://c15107754.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/002-171-3364.mp4

$480, a deal at twice the price!

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/ser-jacopo/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=447292

Anyone looking to add some meerschaum to their rotation?

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/AKB/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=435040

It's Popeye.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Pipe-eye

I do really need to find a pipe I'll actually use. I have too much lose tobacco and a lovely half plastic pipe I hate, booo

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I have recently recommended this stuff to goons in the discord to unanimous agreement that the poo poo is straight magic. Buy some.

https://smartmouth.com/

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Gramps posted:

I have recently recommended this stuff to goons in the discord to unanimous agreement that the poo poo is straight magic. Buy some.

https://smartmouth.com/

but does it cause oral cancer. :clint:

Seriously though, I'll give this a shot. Nothing like brushing your teeth only to wake up tasting last nights cigar!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Also message Ophidian for the discord if you haven't. I can't tell who half the people are or maybe they just aren't regular posters but it's been active and fun. Way easier to upload pictures to discord than to here so people post their smokes a lot more often it feels like.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Feels less weird multi posting, too :v:

E: picked up a Monster Mash because the deal was too good to pass up - $16 off at Binny's with their 5 for 15% off deal. I got some $1.85 cigars to get the deal

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
10/10 the discord is fun, come join us

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The discord is way more my speed also and I don’t feel too bad about posting a lot. Way easier to share pictures too.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

can confirm the Discord owns

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Also, doubleposting owns embrace the :justpost: lifestyle

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I went to the B&M and picked up a few different corojo sticks (Aladino, Aladino Corojo Reserva, Leaf by Oscar Corojo), a Casa Cuba, a Mil Dias, and three of The Frank redux from Tatuaje. This morning I smoked a Montecristo Petit Edmundo with some coffee and it was perfect with this beautiful mid October weather we're having.

Next up on my list is to re-inventory all of my cigars and load them into the new giant storage box I got to replace my 12 Sistema Tupperware boxes.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I had a Mummy today which was a fine smoke, and a Jose L Piedra that really blew me away

Having gotten a hygrometer/thermometer from Govee, I learned from the Good Word of Ophidian that dry boxing is the way to go and it's making a world of difference.

The Monster Mash box is my dry box now, and it's been going very well. The JLP box I pulled that stick from was plugged to hell (each one is) and dry boxing is really making the difference.

I'm not sure that there's anything better than a cheap as hell stick that blows you away. We'll see if that holds up with some Puro Express cheapos I'm looking to order soon.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I found Asylum 13 Ogre lanceros to be surprisingly good. Had one a while back when a liquor store who didn't carry much that was interesting had them. I've got one in robusto I need to smoke.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Alright nerds, I keep hearing about how awesome Illusione stuff is. I've only tried the Epernay in petite corona, and it was just okay. They have too many sticks for me to know where to go from here. Recommendations?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Illusione is one of my favorite overall brands, and I'd say the most notable thing about them is their complexity. Also, I love the Epernay, so I may not be the best palate to go by, but that being said...

OP Ultra No. 9 - Chocolate and tobacco. Sort of akin to a Oliva Serie V. Sort of Padronish in that it's not super complex, but it's great from beginning to end.

Illusione Cruzado Elitas - Like a fastball right down the middle. Mostly tobacco and chololate chips. Great every day cigar, but sneakily strong.

ECCJ 20th Churchill - Medium - mild in strength. Very complex. Creamy with lots of backing spices and wood / cedar. Retrohale a bunch and drink water only with it imo. The wrapper on these is pretty thin so if you like your cigars dryer than 70 it might crack on you.

The Holy Lance - It's a lancero, and I honestly can't remember much about other than loving the 3 or so I had. IDK why I never bought more and now probably will. Thanks!

The MK 12 Natural - Very complex, lots of pepper and nuts. Big at 6x56.

I've also heard the Haut 10 was great, but the price tag on that scared me off it.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
You had me at "Holy Lance" and slam dunked it with "it's a lancero"

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm a real big fan of the Rothschilds Illusione make. I've been meaning to try more of their core line - the Gigantes have tempted me each time I walk into a humidor.

I believe the OneOff line is theirs, which I really enjoy. The Epernay and ECCJ blends have always been good, too.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

I'm a real big fan of the Rothschilds Illusione make. I've been meaning to try more of their core line - the Gigantes have tempted me each time I walk into a humidor.

I believe the OneOff line is theirs, which I really enjoy. The Epernay and ECCJ blends have always been good, too.

OneOff is my favorite Illusione and the Epernay has become one of my favorite go to cigars for a quick morning smoke if I want something more than a Connecticut.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

My favorite morning smoke has turned into the Davidoff Winston Churchills that come in tins. They're pricey, but on a Saturday morning with some coffee. Perfect!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh man the DPG JJ Selectos are stupid good. $101/box is ridiculous. It's going down in record time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I went to a wedding yesterday and brought a box of Quintero y Hermano Brevas for the after party. They were a hit and I had a bunch of people smoking cigars and having a good time.

I smoked a Warped Chinchilla the night before the wedding which was a good smoke, it had a flavor that reminded me the Rojas Street Tacos and the Las Calaveras but I’m not sure exactly what it is. I need to figure it out because I like it.

I’ll be in Miami this week for work but won’t have a ton of free time except for tomorrow. Are there any must do/see cigar things in Miami?