Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

seaborgium posted:

I have several scenes like this, but I'm pretty sure we all get to see Mat gently caress up some rich boys so that should hold me over.

I don't mind Galad in the story, but I hope Gawyn appears just long enough to get knocked out by Mat and then is never seen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Khizan posted:

I don't mind Galad in the story, but I hope Gawyn appears just long enough to get knocked out by Mat and then is never seen again.

I am very worried that not only will this not happen, the explicit romance with Rand and Egwene is going to set up a direct Rand vs Gawyn rivalry

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Have they cast Gawyn yet? What's the guy who played Joffrey in GoT up to these days, is he free?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I too lust for Gawyn's death as early as possible. The writers should only keep him around if they do something crazy like making Rand having the hots for Gawyn, too. Otherwise, his "I hate Rand" schtick can be done by Galad just as well, if you even need to have that aspect represented in Taringail's children.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gawyn's making it to the end cause his death is pretty key to Egwene's final moments

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I think Jordan would have done Tarmon Gaiden better because he understood how battles actually happen. The battle between Rand and then Seanchan near Ebou Dar is clear enough in my mind even now, with the plays and counterplays in their rough shapes.

I remember the Last Battle having a bunch of...gimmicks, but I can't tell you much of how it went.

The Aviendha through the pillars was really good tho, well done if that was all him.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bragon posted:

I am very worried that not only will this not happen, the explicit romance with Rand and Egwene is going to set up a direct Rand vs Gawyn rivalry

i'm hoping that they're going to make it more real without making it into like an active current romance. have it be "we broke up but always assumed we'd be back together" or something

it might make sense for 16 year olds in a small town to have been promised to one another, but for 20-somethings it's better for them to have had something a little more serious they're both realizing just isn't going to work

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 18, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

buffalo all day posted:

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1450179081694187526?s=20

some new stuff here inc. thom with a guitar and...whitecloaks(?)

At 0:10 is that Rand in Tar Valon? Or some kind of dream version thereof anyway.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Pleads posted:

Have they cast Gawyn yet? What's the guy who played Joffrey in GoT up to these days, is he free?

I was going to say that Jack Gleeson retired from acting to go to college, and indeed there's nothing on his IMDB from 2015 to 2019, but I do see that he's dipped his foot back in the acting pool with roles in 2020 and 2021, so....maybe? :shrug:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What's the big gate-looking thing in the first shot? Portal Stone?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Waygate maybe

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Eddie Redmayne would make a good gawyn

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torrannor posted:

Moiraine never stood before the Hall of the Tower in the main series, so that's interesting to see. I can't imagine that they'd do flashbacks to things that happened in New Spring.

Moiraine being sent to the Two Rivers by Siuan is something that was unspoken but in retrospect obvious. I don't mind them making it overt.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That's a Waygate. They've had pictures of that before, including in the EW article a few weeks back.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hmmm. No cool mosaic, but I can live with that.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Add the mosaic, Bezos you coward.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

At 0:10 is that Rand in Tar Valon? Or some kind of dream version thereof anyway.

I'm guessing Shadar Logoth or an Ishy dream.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

the series Twitter account is only mildly cringey and has been posting a fair amount of stuff recently, worth a follow id say

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

buffalo all day posted:

the series Twitter account is only mildly cringey and has been posting a fair amount of stuff recently, worth a follow id say

oh believe me, we haven't even scratched the surface yet in terms of how people as a whole will engage with the pop culture presence of a major streaming service's flagship fantasy series

it's going to be a bumpy ride

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Democratic Pirate posted:

Eddie Redmayne would make a good gawyn

Gawyns supposed to be handsome though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Redmayne cameo as one of Rand's ancestors in TSR. "I am Aiel!"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I'm guessing Shadar Logoth or an Ishy dream.

Yeah, the stonework motif is what we're given to understand is Tar Valon (and we've seen set photos of Tar Valon that looks far more inhabited than this sequence) so it's likely a dream.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Galad needs to be a prettyboy. Legolas era Orlando Bloom at the ugliest.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Johnny Joestar posted:

oh believe me, we haven't even scratched the surface yet in terms of how people as a whole will engage with the pop culture presence of a major streaming service's flagship fantasy series

it's going to be a bumpy ride

gonna be a hard unfollow once we get to premiere town but it’s fun getting these little peeks, as always w Twitter the lesson is never read the replies

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Galad needs to be a prettyboy. Legolas era Orlando Bloom at the ugliest.

Cast a revolving gacha of k-pop stars, call it a day.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Jedit posted:

Moiraine being sent to the Two Rivers by Siuan is something that was unspoken but in retrospect obvious. I don't mind them making it overt.

Really? I always thought Moiraine was just off entirely on her own, hadn't made a formal appearance in the Tower in years. Always trying to minimize her (apparent) connection with Siuan, while sending messages by pigeon regularly so she knows what's up. Like, Moiraine isn't there on an official mission that the whole Hall knows about. It's Verin and Elaida who piece together that something's going on.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Moiraine does mention at some point that she managed to check out the angreal from tower storage in a way that does sound like she was sent out on some sort of mission.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Natural 20 posted:

What Jordan did so well was get you feeling the chaos of a battle, how isolated you can feel and how little you can do to direct the situation you're in. I actually think that Sanderson's style probably suited the Field of Merrilor better though, because of how intricate the moving pieces in that battle end up being. Jordan's typical ambiguity and confusion would have potentially led to an unintelligible mess there.

I will say, I don't know whether Aviendha through the arches was Jordan or Sanderson, but when I read that in Towers of Midnight I think I ended up going back and reading it two or three times more to make sure I'd actually read what I'd read. That scene hit me like a truck. To me, it's probably the highest point for the series since Rand doing the same in book 4.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate the Sanderson books at all. I was responding to the notion that there wasn't another great and prolific American fantasy author with combat experience who could have stepped in to fill Jordan's shoes, but Gene Wolfe was right there and without a doubt the best writer of the three, and will likely be remembered as the best American fantasy author in history.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Harriet was adamant about getting someone who was as close to unknown as possible while also having a proven body of work to finish the series just so there wouldn't be a risk of an established author "taking possession" of the series by finishing it. Despite working on the last three books, it is never going to be "Brandon Sanderson's Wheel of Time". People debating if the last three books are really all that good is kind of a net win for Jordan if the alternative is people debating whether or not the first 11 books are as good as the conclusion, which is a masterpiece written by someone else despite Jordan's contributions.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I have never heard of Gene Wolfe, Shadow of the Torturer is not available at any library in my city of 1.3 million, and Amazon(.ca) doesn't have a physical version of it for less than $140.

What the hell.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
That's a loving shame. I would strongly encourage you to get ahold of Shadow of the Torturer, The Fifth Head of Cerberus, or The Wizard Knight if you can find an affordable way to do so.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Gene Wolfe was right there and without a doubt the best writer of the three, and will likely be remembered as the best American fantasy author in history.

I'm pretty sure that "Best American Fantasy Author" will go to LeGuin.

Atlas Hugged posted:

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Harriet was adamant about getting someone who was as close to unknown as possible while also having a proven body of work to finish the series just so there wouldn't be a risk of an established author "taking possession" of the series by finishing it. Despite working on the last three books, it is never going to be "Brandon Sanderson's Wheel of Time". People debating if the last three books are really all that good is kind of a net win for Jordan if the alternative is people debating whether or not the first 11 books are as good as the conclusion, which is a masterpiece written by someone else despite Jordan's contributions.

I think the single biggest reason for giving the rest of the series to Sanderson was that he's an ultra-reliable workhorse writer. Giving the books to Sanderson meant that they knew the books would be written and the series would be completed within a pretty reasonable time frame. They weren't going to have to replace him with a third author or worry about him taking five years in between books or anything like that. Give him the notes and he'll bang out three doorstoppers of acceptable quality in ~4-5 years, easy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vavrek posted:

Really? I always thought Moiraine was just off entirely on her own, hadn't made a formal appearance in the Tower in years. Always trying to minimize her (apparent) connection with Siuan, while sending messages by pigeon regularly so she knows what's up. Like, Moiraine isn't there on an official mission that the whole Hall knows about. It's Verin and Elaida who piece together that something's going on.

Well, yes? You just described to the letter the reasoning for Elaida deposing Siuan: that Siuan had been sending out her closest friends on missions to find and control the Dragon Reborn without the knowledge of Hall or Tower.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Khizan posted:

I was honestly debating this before I posted. They're very different writers and I'm glad we have both.

quote:

I think the single biggest reason for giving the rest of the series to Sanderson was that he's an ultra-reliable workhorse writer. Giving the books to Sanderson meant that they knew the books would be written and the series would be completed within a pretty reasonable time frame. They weren't going to have to replace him with a third author or worry about him taking five years in between books or anything like that. Give him the notes and he'll bang out three doorstoppers of acceptable quality in ~4-5 years, easy.

This is likely true, but he had only published about a half dozen books and none of them were particularly long. The Mistborn trilogy was the most notable thing he had done at that point as well along with some Alcatraz books.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Pleads posted:

I have never heard of Gene Wolfe, Shadow of the Torturer is not available at any library in my city of 1.3 million, and Amazon(.ca) doesn't have a physical version of it for less than $140.

What the hell.

I think it’s most recently been published in a volume with book 2 and it’s called “Shadow and Claw”, check for that?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Khizan posted:

The single biggest reason was probably that Sanderson wrote a really nice blog post about Jordan's influence on his own writing when Jordan died.

Most fantasy authors who commented on Jordan's death said things like this, from Guy Gavriel Kay:

quote:

This brings me back to Jim Rigney, Robert Jordan. On the Locus website I noted, in preparing these remarks, that he was never in his life nominated for a World Fantasy Award, for a Nebula, for a Hugo. Those encompass judge awards, peer awards and fan balloting.

I will not stand here and argue - nor am I in a position to assess - whether this is appropriate or not. What I can say, what I'd like you to consider, is that a mature, increasingly important genre has a need - a defining need - for literary work and for the entertaining bestsellers.

And - further - that the popular successes are central to any genre's emergence at the centre of a culture. From 1990 forward, Robert Jordan produced bestsellers. Jokes were made about forests destroyed for the print runs. He brought innumerable readers to fantasy; for better or worse he consolidated the template of the multi-multi-volume series. He became the New York Times bestseller list face of fantasy. Whatever one thinks of that, every person in this room can rattle off, as easily as I can, the writers who followed and even those who preceded Jordan, who gained a significant boost from the success of his work - and from his personal generosity in offering support to their books. George Martin has said as much in print. I can affirm that response myself: his generosity as a reader towards work very different from his own. And is there anyone here who'd want to deny that J.K. Rowling built upon his entrenching of the ongoing saga in shaping - and selling - her own?

We need to be large enough as a genre to acknowledge this without condescension. To note that editors and writers and publishers in this field flourish today because of Jordan's impact, that readers of fantasy find their favored genre centered in the culture now, and that the very recent, untimely passing of a profoundly important figure is worth remembering at the outset of a celebration.

Which while kindly intended doesn't actually say anything about whether or not Kay himself thought the books were any good.

Sanderson wrote a really nice eulogy / blog post about how much he liked Jordan's books and what they meant to him, and I believe that's what got Harriett's attention.

Khizan posted:

LeGuin arguably wins for "American Author" just on the strength of her prose style; you don't need to qualify it with "fantasy". Maybe a qualifier of "Modern" so she's not competing with, like, Twain.

But Jordan did get repeatedly snubbed by the awards circuit. If nothing else, Eye of the World should have won something. I think the only award the whole series ever won was for Eye of the World's cover art. The series as a whole was nominated for a Hugo eventually but Ancillary Justice won that year instead.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 19, 2021

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

LeGuin arguably wins for "American Author" just on the strength of her prose style; you don't need to qualify it with "fantasy". Maybe a qualifier of "Modern" so she's not competing with, like, Twain.

But Jordan did get repeatedly snubbed by the awards circuit. If nothing else, Eye of the World should have won something. I think the only award the whole series ever won was for Eye of the World's cover art. The series as a whole was nominated for a Hugo eventually but Ancillary Justice won that year instead.

I think John Crowley, Wolfe and LeGuin are probably the three best “genre” fantasists I’ve read.

And IMO RJ should have been nominated for the shadow rising, even though it’s insanely long. Really captures everything he was trying to do and he more or less pulled it off. I understand not recognizing EOTW at the time given how derivative it feels. It comes off much better with hindsight.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Babylon 5 was also snubbed by the award givers, that doesn't change the fact that it was better than all the Star Trek which did win awards.

Likewise, I don't know any 90s fantasy series that can compete with WoT. The only things in the fantasy genre I've read from that time were Harry Potter, which isn't bad but doesn't scratch my itch for epic/high fantasy, and Sword of Truth (don't judge me, I was young and I'm not American, so most of the political stuff went right over my head).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Went over American kids heads too, I can say with experience.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It took till the book that he did an atlas shrugged knockoff and spent like 1000 pages carving a statue while lamenting communism for me to start questioning the bullshit. I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

silvergoose posted:

Went over American kids heads too, I can say with experience.

I've talked to people for whom the politics did not go over their heads and they fall into two camps:

1) People who immediately stopped reading the books
2) People who, well, you know