Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

davebo posted:

https://twitter.com/pourmecoffee/status/1450438003751534593

Lego are pretty expensive but there have got to be better things to steal when it comes to dollars per pound or square footage.

For a second I thought the photo background were some sweet MOC skyscrapers the crook made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

For a second I thought the photo background were some sweet MOC skyscrapers the crook made.

I was like “hmm weird box art must be a Lego clone company set”

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mameluke posted:

Okay, how would you make a good set out of some of these sitcoms? UCS Fusilli Jerry, or Puerto Rican Day parade playset maybe?

Honestly I think most of them aren't very good fits for Lego, and I kind of feel like the only reason they sell is similar to why funko pops sell: it's a Lego set of a thing I recognize / like so I buy it.

I like most of the sitcoms that have been turned into sets, but also think they're pretty lovely sets. They don't look visually very impressive and they don't look particularly fun to build unless you're REALLY into minifig-scale interiors. I guess they maybe could make good play sets for kids? Not that they know what Seinfeld even is, but for having an apartment interior I mean. Even then though, I suspect any of the modular buildings would be preferable to that. So all that's left is a display piece that is fun if you recognize it, and "oh, that's cool I guess :geno:" if you don't. Compare to Marvel or Star Wars sets - even if you've never seen any of those movies, the sets are still cool spaceships or fun battle scenes that can look dynamic or be fun for kids to play with.

If these were just sets Lego were licensing and releasing in their own, then hey whatever who cares, let Lego do their thing. The fact that they're in ideas votes basically means they'll eventually win through sheer force of fonko-pop-style "I recognize the thing!" and thus take the spot of more interesting sets.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

This is pretty cool: https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-build-hat-lego-education/

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

So are pis just so cheap now lego has no need for mindstorms?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Still a WIP. Probably 75% done now. Got my Bricklink order in and did near full redesign my Vic. Got it looking pretty accurate now. The proportions and details were all off in my quick and dirty build, but I feel like it's looking pretty close to final. I still have to thicken up the mandibles and add some greebling to the inside, and build the missiles, which is probably going to be another order. Also I really need to build the bottom out a bit and expand the gray area to behind the cockpit. Probably should figure out a more interesting apprach for the rear burner too. Kind of want to steal the one off the 89 batmobile it's perfect lol. Sorry, rambling.

Definietly shaping up to be my favorite MOC that I have done. I think once it's finished I'm gonna go the whole nine yards and photoshop it into space with the Gradius logo.

Kind funny to me how bad it looked the first time I posted it but hey that's part of the process.

Wish it was easier to get photos of all of the engine detail I did but it's all tucked away in there

sorry the photos are terrible. This one is going to be hard to photograph.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

Still a WIP. Probably 75% done now.
Man, that's looking great. Love the wings and the color striping. Very clean!

I got my Halloween builds done just in time, so here's those!

This was another collab between Bun (my partner) and I. They did most of the general design and conceptualizing, and I just built it in bricks. Each has a night sky that easily detaches from the base.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
To me, those look better than any of the small seasonal sets Lego has made recently, nice work!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Good job Bun, Carbo. I love the color choices. The snake as chimney smoke is cool as previously advertised.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Those are fun. :drac:

I especially like the flock of bats.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

A Bad Poster posted:

To me, those look better than any of the small seasonal sets Lego has made recently, nice work!

Was gonna post the same thing.

Submit those to ideas!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Those are fantastic. If they were sets, I would probably have already bought one or both for seasonal office decorations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Those are charming. I love the white snake for a wisp of smoke from the chimney.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

So many tiny little touches on those builds are great, like the tombstones, the snek-smoke in the chimney, and the crescent moon and clouds are amazing.

Also don't think I didn't see The One Ring you claimed not to have. :allears:

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Those are so good

NickThorn
Jan 11, 2005

I'm fucking wild about KEYKEYs.

Carbohydrates posted:

Man, that's looking great. Love the wings and the color striping. Very clean!

I got my Halloween builds done just in time, so here's those!

This was another collab between Bun (my partner) and I. They did most of the general design and conceptualizing, and I just built it in bricks. Each has a night sky that easily detaches from the base.

These are amazing. I am gonna co-sign on adding those to Ideas. Those are prime GWP pieces at the VERY LEAST. So well done.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just finished up the VW Type 2 and it's blessed, I don't see myself buying any LEGO for a long while and I have all of these spare parts I never use, so it's another round of "who wants this poo poo?"

Just reply to this and the first person I'll ship it to you for free. It's all smaller parts, and I think everything should be extras from the Super Mario 64 ? Block and the Type 2, so I think here's some of the Mario printed elements.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
What post? There was no post here. Keep scrolling, Poindexter.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 21, 2021

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Could you part one of those teal brick separators for me? I'll send you back something small and Mexican

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Inspired by Carbohydrates' Halloween builds, I made this scene (with detachable background!) from BYGGLEK:

The background is meant to be a red sunset over a distant forest, I couldn't really pull off night with the parts.

If you have a BYGGLEK, instructions are here: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-89662/mattking4/bygglek-halloween/#details

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

CodfishCartographer posted:

No matter how much they spruce it up, it'll still be a boring gray office with a shitton of minifigs.

Honestly, almost all the sitcom sets have just been "boring-looking room with a bunch of minifigs of your favorite characters" to the point where I kind of wish they'd just cut out the boring room and just release minifig packs.

UCS-scale Schrute Farms or :frogout:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lot average on Bricklink is the the stupidest thing I have ever run into. I can't check out with a $20 order because I don't "meet the sellers lot average" How is this even real?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

veni veni veni posted:

Lot average on Bricklink is the the stupidest thing I have ever run into. I can't check out with a $20 order because I don't "meet the sellers lot average" How is this even real?

Never heard of that before, are you sure it isn’t a minimum purchase limit that’s blocking you? Though having a minimum purchase that high is weird, it’s usually like $5-$10

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it's a minimum lot average, as in it has to average out to over 50 cents per lot or you can't complete the order. I could have ordered one 50 cent lot and checked out, but since I had a bunch of cheaper lots I had to get rid of them to bring the % up. It's idiotic.

And the store charges 10 dollars shipping on something I guarantee wont cost them more than $4.

The shipping is really what drags BL down in general. Most stores charge way too much. You spend 45 drat minutes crafting your order and oh hey all of a sudden $10 becomes 20 and all of a sudden that great deal is actually not so great. Don't get me wrong I know most sellers are just regular people and they are usually taking time picking stuff, buying bubble mailers etc. It's pretty niche poo poo but it does not cost $8+ dollars to send an ounce of Lego USPS.

I really need to get a better MOC part buying process I feel like I end up spending $30-50 on BL every time when ultimately I just want to pick up a few random parts.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Sounds like you have no appreciation for what a pain in the rear end it is to stock thousands and thousands of different Lego, then have to look at some wall of parts drawers to locate one eight cent piece that no one has ordered from you in years and is tricky to categorize so you're not sure where it is. The lot requirements are meant to offset how much time it takes to track down each individual piece, and the shipping is more shipping and handling, because how much money do you think anyone is making on a $20 order when they have to find and pack up all these different pieces?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://twitter.com/brickset/status/1451171549835407365?s=21

3,955 pieces
€249.99 / $249.99 / £229.99

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
$249 for 4K pieces with a license? That’s actually….reasonable?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Can’t wait to see the resale price on that Marv minifig.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I just noticed that they have shorter minifig legs with hinges. How long have those been a thing? I'm pretty sure I have sets from this year with short rigid legs. Also, in general, it looks like a really cool big house, even without the Home Alone license.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I think those shorter articulated legs were introduced with the first wave of Harry Potter minifigs, maybe two years ago. They are one plate taller than the short, fixed ones that have been around for a while.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Skios posted:

I just noticed that they have shorter minifig legs with hinges. How long have those been a thing? I'm pretty sure I have sets from this year with short rigid legs. Also, in general, it looks like a really cool big house, even without the Home Alone license.

Yeah they're called medium legs. They've been around for a little while

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Ah, them being used in Harry Potter sets explains why I haven't seen them, thanks for the explanation. I have a load of the shorter ones in various colours from the dwarves sets they did about a decade ago, and the occasional kid minifig. I'm surprised the ones with hinges aren't used more, but I guess might partially be a production cost thing,

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zefiel posted:

Could you part one of those teal brick separators for me? I'll send you back something small and Mexican

You've got it just PM me your address, and now that you mention it I'll be keeping the other for myself, anyway, the rest is up for grabs still if anyone wants them.

edit: Really wish the Home Alone Set was larger, dunno why but I can't pin it down why I'm disappointed with it.

sigher fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 22, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've got a $100 Lego gift card burning a hole in my pocket and I'm trying to decide between the UCS A-Wing and the 911. Pretty sure I'm going to go with the A-Wing unless it's an awful build or something. How do they stack up?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Phy posted:

I've got a $100 Lego gift card burning a hole in my pocket and I'm trying to decide between the UCS A-Wing and the 911. Pretty sure I'm going to go with the A-Wing unless it's an awful build or something. How do they stack up?

A-Wing is pretty cool, and is retiring soon. I don't really recall anything bad or detracting from the build.

The 911 is cool cause you can choose between Turbo and Targa, but I feel like they kind of missed by not making it easy to swap between the two, but that's a nitpick.

I'd 100% go with the A-Wing if you already think you want it more.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh, Lego sent me a polybag from last year with my keychain. I guess they just had some extra stock leftover

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I have the A-Wing. It’s a big mofo and beautiful. If it’s being taken out of rotation, I’d say go for it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The A-Wing is a cool set, but it's really pushing the boundaries of that UCS star wars tax price point. I feel like it was the least exciting UCS i have ever bought. There's some clever building techniques but the process was pretty meh and there's not a lot of cool details to point out. It's honesty a bit weirdly proportioned too.

I love the ship though so I don't really have any regrets. If you want a nice looking, big A-Wing it works. I mean the A wing is super cool. Tbh I am just as attached to the 75175 A wing though.

davebo posted:

Sounds like you have no appreciation for what a pain in the rear end it is to stock thousands and thousands of different Lego, then have to look at some wall of parts drawers to locate one eight cent piece that no one has ordered from you in years and is tricky to categorize so you're not sure where it is. The lot requirements are meant to offset how much time it takes to track down each individual piece, and the shipping is more shipping and handling, because how much money do you think anyone is making on a $20 order when they have to find and pack up all these different pieces?

Uh, I don't know if you didn't even read my post or what, because I specifically mention this in it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 22, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

veni veni veni posted:

The A-Wing is a cool set, but it's really pushing the boundaries of that UCS star wars tax price point. I feel like it was the least exciting UCS i have ever bought.

If you think that’s bad just wait for next year’s UCS Star Wars set

It’s Luke’s landspeeder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Oxyclean posted:

I happen to have both, the Chiron is a longer build, looks a little nicer (it's literally just a bigger set with a higher piece count, so they can get do more detailed bodywork) but I think the gearbox systems in the Land Rover was a little bit more complex, or at least, I think an error in the manual led me to have to look up a youtube video on how to fix it.

Thank you for the info.

Yeah I heard there was an error in the Land Rover manual but I think I must have gotten it after it got fixed, because mine went together I believe correctly. It was such a complex build though that I'm not 100% certain. It's supposed to arrive today so I can post my thoughts and some photos if anyone is interested.

In the mean time my parents apparently had the Black Seas Barracuda still from when I was a kid:

I gotta fix the sails and give it a more thorough cleaning (and find the little paddle boat, which I think is buried in storage somewhere.)