Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

uPen posted:

Nynaeve decrying the violence she sees around her and in the same sentence wishing she had a big stick so she could beat the violence out of everyone.

Or how she goes from praising Elayne's levelheaded ness versus Thom and Juilin's foolishness, saying she always thought it was a bad idea to bring them, to being very glad they came along and always approved of bringing them along, all in the course of one very brief chapter.

Torrannor posted:

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the dragon tattoos on Rand's actor. They need to be appropriately shiny or I will be upset.

They are very explicitly not tattoos but something power-wrought and part of his skin

Baka Gaidin :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

DarkHorse posted:

Baka Gaidin :colbert:

Thats a bizzare insult. Did you aim for Gai'shan and miss? It's be wetlander anyway.

Why would being a warder be an insult?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Gaijin

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Thats a bizzare insult. Did you aim for Gai'shan and miss? It's be wetlander anyway.

You Shaido or something? They're the only ones who think wetlanders can be gai'shain.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1450572820535132161

Liandrin can gentle me anytime :swoon:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wsnt rand's tattoos to look like those hosed up drawings monks would do because they had no idea what they were trying to draw was supposed to look like and just went off vague descriptions. i know what the books already say, i just want to see it happen

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I don't know who they find for Galad but I'm not doubting the reservoir of unbelievably-pretty-but-also-hateable men in Los Angeles.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jaxyon posted:

I don't know who they find for Galad but I'm not doubting the reservoir of unbelievably-pretty-but-also-hateable men in Los Angeles.

Are you confusing your Elyane siblings? I don't think many people like Galad, but at least I wouldn't say I hate him.

Gawyn on the other hand...

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Torrannor posted:

Are you confusing your Elyane siblings? I don't think many people like Galad, but at least I wouldn't say I hate him.

Gawyn on the other hand...

Galad is not supposed to be likeable either.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jaxyon posted:

Galad is not supposed to be likeable either.

He isn't, but I don't think people wished for his death, or hoped he would be removed from the plot somehow. And the reader's sympathies were certainly more with Galad than with Valda or Asunawa. Afterwards was the conflict with Perrin, but it was confined to one book, and Galad was again more reasonable than many other Children of the Light, most notably Byar and Bornhald.

Gawy on the other hand is simply loving up every single second he's on screen from Siuan's deposing until his very end. He very much is hateable, instead of Galad who's definitely more complex, even if he's never really likeable.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Galad had character growth over the course of the series
His duel in KoD was one of the best bits of the book.

Gawyn on the other hand just gets worse as time goes on.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
By the end of the series Galad shows the best of what the Whitecloaks could be. He shows flexibility, questions his judgments and displays genuine heroism. If you'd told me at the end of book 4 that I'd end up holding Galad way higher than Gawyn I woulda thought you were nuts

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You were clearly supposed to like Gawyn more and then all the youngling poo poo happens and you just want to throttle him.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I really like Galad's last act too - he's lost, but he still spits at his opponent.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I cant remember either of their arcs because i finished the series two years ago and am only now doing my first reread.

I did like whitecloak guy better of the two elayne bros.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Torrannor posted:

He isn't, but I don't think people wished for his death, or hoped he would be removed from the plot somehow. And the reader's sympathies were certainly more with Galad than with Valda or Asunawa. Afterwards was the conflict with Perrin, but it was confined to one book, and Galad was again more reasonable than many other Children of the Light, most notably Byar and Bornhald.

Gawy on the other hand is simply loving up every single second he's on screen from Siuan's deposing until his very end. He very much is hateable, instead of Galad who's definitely more complex, even if he's never really likeable.

Yeah I kinda hope Gawyn gets a significant rewrite in the show.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I hope they keep Gawyn just as idiotic and stupid in the show. His lovely arc is somehow fitting.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

i wsnt rand's tattoos to look like those hosed up drawings monks would do because they had no idea what they were trying to draw was supposed to look like and just went off vague descriptions. i know what the books already say, i just want to see it happen

His dragon tattoos will be replaced by Trogdor tattoos.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Don't change Gawyn, show viewers must share our pain

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

nothing has impressed upon me more the insane resources Amazon is devoting to this than the news that they paid Rosamund pike to re-record the audiobook for the eye of the world. just lighting money on fire at this point

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

buffalo all day posted:

nothing has impressed upon me more the insane resources Amazon is devoting to this than the news that they paid Rosamund pike to re-record the audiobook for the eye of the world. just lighting money on fire at this point

I mean seriously, Kramer and Reading are excellent in the original audiobooks, I'm not sure that Pike on her own really holds up. But hey, if Amazon wants to go nuts pumping the show? More power to them.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

buffalo all day posted:

Bezos went to space on the company time, they could pour it into the toilet until the shows run is up and it wouldn't hurt them. I'm glad they're leveraging everything possible to make it successful.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

let’s get Amazon to pay GRRM to rewrite the BBoBA :twisted:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Plus this way we get the Manetheren speech even if it's cut from the show (it will have to be cut from the show).

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Pleads posted:

I have never heard of Gene Wolfe, Shadow of the Torturer is not available at any library in my city of 1.3 million, and Amazon(.ca) doesn't have a physical version of it for less than $140.

What the hell.

https://www.amazon.ca/Shadow-Claw-First-Half-Book/dp/0312890176
https://www.amazon.ca/Sword-Citadel-Second-Half-Book/dp/0312890184

They're sold as collections now

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Invalid Validation posted:

You were clearly supposed to like Gawyn more and then all the youngling poo poo happens and you just want to throttle him.
Galad is described like a "Lawful-Good" to the extreme who will always do the right thing, even when it's wrong. And to me he reads as on the autism spectrum. He see's everything in a very black and white way and has trouble deciphering shades of grey in human interaction, but he does grow as the story progresses.

Gawyn is infinitely more likeable until the younglings. I hope they really play up how conflicted Gawyn is and how tragic it is when he sides with Elaida. And unlike the books maybe focus on how his torment from making the wrong choice in this situation leads him down a dark and lovely path. Instead of just turning him into a dumb heel who hates Rand and is annoying.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

buffalo all day posted:

I think it’s most recently been published in a volume with book 2 and it’s called “Shadow and Claw”, check for that?

Yup that was the key, stopping by the library this evening to pick it up. Thanks!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Pleads posted:

Yup that was the key, stopping by the library this evening to pick it up. Thanks!

i have some presentiment of your future, op, and it’s a good one

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Plus this way we get the Manetheren speech even if it's cut from the show (it will have to be cut from the show).

To be fair, there are only 8 episodes in the first season, and that story is so long that it would take its own episode.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
my take was that gawyn was supposed to be initially likeable so that you were frustrated when his path led him to the wrong side, while galad was too Lawful Good to be likeable and initially joined the "bad guys" but ultimately did the right thing

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably, but he isn’t seen for books and when he does come back he’s a dumb shithead that is only bad because he does dumb shithead things for no reason. He even abandons being conflicted to go do more dumb shithead things because he’s in love with a woman he’s known for two days.

But at least he dies so I guess we get the final laugh.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gawyn and Egwene spent months together in Tar Valon before she left for Falme

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Plus they bang like crazy in his dreams.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Gawyn is conceptually good as a foil for classic fantasy tropes, but his actual poo poo head execution leaves a lot to be desired as he really doesn't have much to fall back on when he stays a huge dick after getting information that he shouldn't be.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Gawyn doesn't do dumb shithead things for no reason, he does them because of toxic masculinity. That's the whole point of his arc.

If you removed that you might as well remove the entire character and only give Elayne one brother.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

th3t00t posted:

Galad is described like a "Lawful-Good" to the extreme who will always do the right thing, even when it's wrong. And to me he reads as on the autism spectrum. He see's everything in a very black and white way and has trouble deciphering shades of grey in human interaction, but he does grow as the story progresses.

I could see it, though if I were going to pick a character as possibly on the Autism Spectrum I might go for Perrin (though really just to form a trinity with Mat's ADHD and Rand's depression or bipolar*). But I had a very different read of Galad, last time I went through his arc.

An analogy: some visual artists are colorblind. And if you are, you can still learn and understand color theory, and how to use appropriate colors in your work. It's just tricky. Make sure you always lay out your paints in the same order on the palette, think carefully about how you use them, and so on, because you're working with something that you can't directly perceive.

I feel like Galad must feel like he's in a world of (morally) colorblind people. People don't say that Galad will "will always do the right thing, even when it's wrong." What Elayne says is "Galad will always do what is right, no matter who he hurts."

What prompted this for me was reading Kahneman's Thinking, Fast and Slow, which describes human cognition as occurring in two modes. People normally emphasize that the Fast mode is cheaper, easier, faster, and less accurate than the Slow mode. It's also, because it's so easy and fast for people, usually invisible and so the outputs of the Fast mode are taken to just be your perception of the world. Like, you estimate object size automatically based on your visual sensations, and you say "Oh yeah, I saw that it was [however large]." You don't say "It occupied an arc about this big in my visual field and estimating its distance as whatever, I judge that it is about so big." Because that stuff happens below a conscious level.

And so I got to thinking about good ol' Galad. He never seems smug. Or mad. He just seems confused and disappointed that other people aren't seeing what he's seeing. What if he just genuinely has a complex ability to perceive right and wrong, but it's autonomic, as easy for him as walking, and so he thinks that these qualities (right and wrong) are properties of the actions, not just properties of how he perceives and processes them?

I'm rambling, lunch is over, and my phone is charged. I hope this made some sense.

*Or paranoid schizophrenia.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I dont think Mr econ, emotional vs rational, is applicable to morality in any way.

He's simply moral; no impact calculus.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

mossyfisk posted:

If you removed that you might as well remove the entire character and only give Elayne one brother.

Now you get it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

mossyfisk posted:

Gawyn doesn't do dumb shithead things for no reason, he does them because of toxic masculinity. That's the whole point of his arc.

It's this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

mossyfisk posted:

:emptyquote:

e: Get rid of Elayne too, Rand can date Galad.