Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

The Ontario vaccination QR code is signed with the Ontario Health public key

Wouldn't surprise me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I built a spreadsheet to track all this

awesome

You'd think these guys would have a sense of shame but all I see here is entitlement vis a vis Fortin and the other shitheels trying to clear their names. What even are they doing in the military? With their all or nothing attitudes towards winning and bullying they should be pursuing much better paying jobs like selling enterprise software or politics.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
It's kinda nerdy, but I was having a conversation with someone about it and I realized I was getting a few of them mixed up, and literally forgot about some of the other ones. So obviously this called for a tracker of some kind.

Which, as you rightly inferred, doesn't speak well to the problem.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Wouldn't surprise me

Yeah, that was an embarrassing typo. Could be true though

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Femtosecond posted:

Speaking of beloved traditions that are in absolutely no way traditions in other parts of the country:

It's almost Halloween, which in Vancouver means setting off poo poo tons of fireworks.... except that Vancouver finally banned it this year. Gonna be interesting to see whether people actually abide by this or have sneakily found some grey market source to buy fireworks and will be setting off fireworks nonetheless.

Normally around this time a bunch of otherwise empty storefronts would have been taken over as fireworks popup shops with gaudy enormous FIREWORKS signs. Not so this year.

They can just come to Victoria and set them off instead

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The CBC reports that counting years after the how old are you is a thing, no matter how many people cannot remember ever experiencing it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Apparently you also got kicked in the tit, no matter how many people cannot remember ever experiencing it.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

leftist heap posted:

They can just come to Victoria and set them off instead

They've been banned here for a few years #keepvictoriaboring

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

eXXon posted:

The CBC reports that counting years after the how old are you is a thing, no matter how many people cannot remember ever experiencing it.

"you look like a monkey and you smell like one too" is probably no longer considered to be an acceptable final line in The Birthday Song TM

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

eXXon posted:

Baroness von Sketch is criminally underrated

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
We used to sing "for he's a jolly good fellow" because we were true citizens of a colony that would sing such a hideous song during a birthday party.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you can guess who published the report before clicking the link you get 10 points.

https://twitter.com/CTVCalgary/status/1451292426262433795

e: while i was posting this they edited the title :(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Femtosecond posted:

Speaking of beloved traditions that are in absolutely no way traditions in other parts of the country:

It's almost Halloween, which in Vancouver means setting off poo poo tons of fireworks.... except that Vancouver finally banned it this year. Gonna be interesting to see whether people actually abide by this or have sneakily found some grey market source to buy fireworks and will be setting off fireworks nonetheless.

Normally around this time a bunch of otherwise empty storefronts would have been taken over as fireworks popup shops with gaudy enormous FIREWORKS signs. Not so this year.

In the hinterlands of BC we did not light fireworks on halloween but we did very much light fireworks on Guy Fawkes Night to celebrate the fact that someone nearly destroyed the English parliament. Not the intended spirit of Guy Fawkes night, I gather, but it's a good occasion to burn some poo poo.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Powershift posted:

If you can guess who published the report before clicking the link you get 10 points.

https://twitter.com/CTVCalgary/status/1451292426262433795

e: while i was posting this they edited the title :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcArJEYvaHw

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

eXXon posted:

We've shifted to another timeline. Classic case of a Mandela Effect.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

large hands posted:

They've been banned here for a few years #keepvictoriaboring

Well they aren't banned in Saanich or Esquimalt

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

I didn't see anyone else mention it here, so I might as well. Back in 2019 one of Bumbles' campaign promises was to set an inquiry to look into foreign interference and funding of "Anti Oilsands Activity." In his words “a UCP government would immediately pursue an aggressive legal strategy to hold the Tar Sands Campaign funders to account for what they have done to our province.” After 2 years, $3.5 million, and I'm sure, many, many "working" lunches and dinners their conclusion: :beck:

quote:

"There is no doubt that these campaigns have occurred in an environment of reduced investment in oil and gas projects, at least since 2014 when global oil prices fell by almost half and other economic factors were at play.

"Much of the reduced investment is therefore due to natural market forces, but anti-Alberta energy campaigns have played a role."

While buried on page 596 I think this was the main point:

quote:

“I agree that, on its own, the label “anti-Alberta” or “anti-Albertan”, is not helpful or constructive; it does not reflect the objectives or work of this Inquiry,”

TL;DR The big scary foreign parties spent money on environmentalist causes around Alberta, not necessarily exclusively against the oilsands (the $1.3 billion of foreign money for “Canadian-based” environmental groups from 2003 to 2019 includes $429 million that went to Ducks Unlimited Canada, for example) and that hurts the poor oil companies' and UCP's feelings. And that's sad. :saddumb: But it's not illegal. I'm sounding like a broken record here, but in any other provincial government this would have been the final nail in their coffin. It was telling that neither Kenney nor the report's lead author Allen were at the press conference announcing the conclusions, just the Energy Minister Sonya Savage, who stumbled her way through the questions, including one from the New York Times:

https://twitter.com/CBCFletch/status/1451257492990676994

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/anti-alberta-energy-campaign-public-inquiry-final-report-1.6218861

https://www.theprogressreport.ca/after_2_years_3_5_million_dollars_allan_inquiry_finds_definitive_proof_of_hurt_feelings_but_not_much_else

So all of that, for something a 9th grader could whip up over the course of a couple of weeks armed with a netbook and Google. Yay. For that we paid $3.5 million.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I heard the "How old are you now?" bit when I was a kid. Occasionally with the counting but more often not. Southern Ontario.

I am also in this Bearenstain universe of remembering counting when I was young, or when someone is really annoyed that adults are singing happy birthday to each other and wants to torture them for doing so.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

kaom posted:

“How old are you now” happened all the time for me, but only in French (I did not know there was an English version at all until this very moment). French immersion in BC (northern and coastal), the kids in the program would sing this at non-immersion kids’ parties too. :shrug:

Ed. Oh man it’s flooding back. We also sang https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gens_du_pays and also the English “you look like a monkey” parody. Every party was like, four cacophonous songs minimum.

Ahh my grade four French teacher would sing that when a kid had a birthday. For the last 25 years I wondered what it was.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Madkal posted:

We used to sing "for he's a jolly good fellow" because we were true citizens of a colony that would sing such a hideous song during a birthday party.

I'm honoured to be in the presence of someone who was around in 1865.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
So, uh, we're not renewing the CRB but we are planning on handing millions in targeted subsidies to businesses? The CWLB at least acknowledges that it might be literally impossible for some people to go to work in the next few months, I guess.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Alls we're asking

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

The businesses will do the right thing without needing to be legally responsible to.

Also I was born yesterday.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

redbrouw posted:

I am also in this Bearenstain universe of remembering counting when I was young, or when someone is really annoyed that adults are singing happy birthday to each other and wants to torture them for doing so.

Same. I heard the counting a few times, but it stopped after one or two because it was obviously a joke.

I think I had a teacher or something that actually did count up. Pretty sure everyone has a teacher in elementary school that usually goes a bit overboard with enthusiasm.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I heard the "How old are you now?" thing a few times growing up in the States, but definitely never the counting thing.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Muscle Tracer posted:

I heard the "How old are you now?" thing a few times growing up in the States, but definitely never the counting thing.
Grew up near Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario and heard the counting thing a bunch up there.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 22, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Capacity limits in Ontario lifting on Monday.

"We never underestimated this virus." riiiiiight.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Capacity limits in Ontario lifting on Monday.

"We never underestimated this virus." riiiiiight.

...until now

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gonna be interesting to see how many restaurant workers get crushed under the full capacity with half staff.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

This is so loving dumb poo poo basically felt like normal with reduced capacity and cases are dropping. Watch poo poo just completely reverse over something as trivial as "a few more people in restaurants".

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Gonna be interesting to see how many restaurant workers get crushed under the full capacity with half staff.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a second exodus of retail and restaurant staff. Most places never bothered to replace the initial losses of staff and none that I know of increased worker pay or benefits for the ones that remained. Its basically on an identical path that the trucking industry hit last year and we can already see how that is working out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not surprising to me that the capacity limits are dropping shortly after the announcement that the CRB is ending in favour of targeted benefits for lockdown affectees. The provinces really, really want to get people back to work and think that people will be leaping at the chance for low income employment if they're not getting a government payout.

I think it's going to smack them hard when more people leave the service industry from burnout unless the sector makes an effort to improve employee benefits.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pleads posted:

Who else would take the Dane's snaps and replace it with rye?

Fixed

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Once again I'm just speaking anecdotally, but, LMAO what capacity limits?

It was a slow trickle but we've increasingly had more and more people sit in for dining and it gets really packed on weekends. People were hesitant at first with the vaccine passport stuff but they got used to it and now it's packed as it was pre-COVID.

I picked a good time to take some time off at least.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/green-party-to-drop-legal-action-against-annamie-paul-as-discussions-drag-on-1.5634324

Green Party drops the legal action against Annamie Paul. The Party is broke as gently caress.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Lars Blitzer posted:

I didn't see anyone else mention it here, so I might as well. Back in 2019 one of Bumbles' campaign promises was to set an inquiry to look into foreign interference and funding of "Anti Oilsands Activity." In his words “a UCP government would immediately pursue an aggressive legal strategy to hold the Tar Sands Campaign funders to account for what they have done to our province.” After 2 years, $3.5 million, and I'm sure, many, many "working" lunches and dinners their conclusion: :beck:

While buried on page 596 I think this was the main point:

TL;DR The big scary foreign parties spent money on environmentalist causes around Alberta, not necessarily exclusively against the oilsands (the $1.3 billion of foreign money for “Canadian-based” environmental groups from 2003 to 2019 includes $429 million that went to Ducks Unlimited Canada, for example) and that hurts the poor oil companies' and UCP's feelings. And that's sad. :saddumb: But it's not illegal. I'm sounding like a broken record here, but in any other provincial government this would have been the final nail in their coffin. It was telling that neither Kenney nor the report's lead author Allen were at the press conference announcing the conclusions, just the Energy Minister Sonya Savage, who stumbled her way through the questions, including one from the New York Times:

https://twitter.com/CBCFletch/status/1451257492990676994

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/anti-alberta-energy-campaign-public-inquiry-final-report-1.6218861

https://www.theprogressreport.ca/after_2_years_3_5_million_dollars_allan_inquiry_finds_definitive_proof_of_hurt_feelings_but_not_much_else

So all of that, for something a 9th grader could whip up over the course of a couple of weeks armed with a netbook and Google. Yay. For that we paid $3.5 million.

You forgot my favourite part, from the overall $1.3 billion, the report identifies just $54.1 million in foreign funds that were given specifically for “anti-Alberta resource development activity.” A whole 4%! Or a little under twice as much as they spent on the energy "war room".

The fact that Kenney left Savage hanging out to dry on the announcement was :discourse:

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

If we’re opening everything up and welcoming death again, then let me loving dance myself to death, Bonnie.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ChickenDoodle posted:

If we’re opening everything up and welcoming death again, then let me loving dance myself to death, Bonnie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57OUMhARZms

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/acoyne/status/1451738140868284419

Coyne gets the golf clap on this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe it's different in some areas, but for the most part the restaurants in my downtown Toronto neighbourhood aren't getting anywhere close to the number of patrons where their capacity would make a difference. There are a few trendy places where that doesn't seem to be the case, but I'd say like 80% of the places look pretty dead. I don't think that raising capacity limits on restaurants is going to make a big difference at this point, it seems like a lot of people are still not back to going out. And with tourism still likely dead for a while, I don't see where these restaurant-goers are going to come from all of a sudden. IMO the restaurant lobby is just screaming about capacity limits so that they have something to blame the loss in revenues on that isn't a massive drop in demand.