Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

thetoughestbean posted:

Maybe they’d be more effective at containing the demon threat if they worked with the local peoples instead of paternalistically ordering them around
They tried that in chapter 53. It didn't go so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Can Of Worms posted:

They tried that in chapter 53. It didn't go so well.

Yeah we have an example of what happens when the elves try to play good cop already.

It's kind of an unsolvable situation all around. The elves understand how nightmarish a demon can be, but they're also rich, incredibly powerful, and immortal so they can afford to view things from a "if this happens it will be awful for the world" perspective. The short-lived races are reliant on the dungeons as a source of economic prosperity and are rightfully incredibly resentful of these shithead elves who show up and start throwing their weight around and saying "okay, pack it up people, abandon your livelihoods because it might trigger a demon invasion none of you have ever seen or heard of, and if any of you disagree too strongly we'll throw you in elf jail until you die of old age or kill you outright".

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They could start by explaining the danger, which I believe is something nobody has tried so far.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah the big issue is they want to keep the existence of demons a secret but you can't really fully explain the danger of a dungeon while still doing that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if they explained the danger they'd also have to explain that demons grant wishes. even if they framed it as pure illusion (it isn't), there would still be plenty of takers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah they absolutely don't want information about the nature of dungeons getting out, because there's likely enough people who would go "what, you mean I get to live like a king and get everything I want and all it takes is a deal with a devil? sign me up" to make a new dungeon opening suddenly become a speedrun competition to become the lord.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they could just lie and say something like "at the heart of every dungeon is a demon who possesses a victim and devours their soul, turning them into the dungeon master. anyone who kills the dungeon master is at risk of having their soul consumed and their body turned into the next puppet for the demon." the faithful would fear for their soul itself and the unfaithful probably wouldn't want to gently caress with an otherworldly being that can easily kill them. they wouldn't need to mention the wish thing.

or they could go with this method which is clearly working very well for them

it's a tough situation

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

they could just lie and say something like "at the heart of every dungeon is a demon who possesses a victim and devours their soul, turning them into the dungeon master. anyone who kills the dungeon master is at risk of having their soul consumed and their body turned into the next puppet for the demon." the faithful would fear for their soul itself and the unfaithful probably wouldn't want to gently caress with an otherworldly being that can easily kill them. they wouldn't need to mention the wish thing.

it's a tough situation

This method already works pretty well for them, given that the only time they've ever had a demon almost break free was Utaya and they fixed that with a liberal dose of Elf Purge Squads.

They could lie about the dangers, but as long as people aren't being directly exposed to them you're still going to have people trickling into dungeons as long as they're not immediately threatened - who cares if there's supposedly a demon at the heart of this dungeon, we're only on floor 1 and 2 stripping gold and making more money than ever before! Then more people see how good the gold stripping guys have it, and move in to try to find their own fortune and explore a little farther, then someone moves in and sets up a shop to sell food to the gold strippers, then someone sets up a firewood stand to sell to the food shop, and so on.

Like right here we had the elves try to say "you need to leave right now, it is super dangerous" and the people in the dungeon told them "gently caress off, idiot" until monsters started pouring out of the walls.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 18, 2021

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Captain Invictus posted:

it's a tough situation

The current method worked pretty well for them, they got all the way to the dungeon lord's home all by themselves. If they'd run into Thistle, who had sealed the demon and fought primarily by summoning and directing monsters, Mithrun probably would have won easily.

Back up at the entrance of the dungeon, on the other hand, two problems have been pretty clearly established:

1) the wealth and prosperity that comes from the dungeon is so great that everyone's driven by greed and don't give a drat about the dangers
2) no one trusts the elves, and they suspected from the start that the elves are coming simply to steal away the dungeon's wealth for themselves, and that anything they say is a lie towards that end

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Kanos posted:

This method already works pretty well for them, given that the only time they've ever had a demon almost break free was Utaya and they fixed that with a liberal dose of Elf Purge Squads.

They could lie about the dangers, but as long as people aren't being directly exposed to them you're still going to have people trickling into dungeons as long as they're not immediately threatened - who cares if there's supposedly a demon at the heart of this dungeon, we're only on floor 1 and 2 stripping gold and making more money than ever before! Then more people see how good the gold stripping guys have it, and move in to try to find their own fortune and explore a little farther, then someone moves in and sets up a shop to sell food to the gold strippers, then someone sets up a firewood stand to sell to the food shop, and so on.

Like right here we had the elves try to say "you need to leave right now, it is super dangerous" and the people in the dungeon told them "gently caress off, idiot" until monsters started pouring out of the walls.

And even after monsters start pouring out of the walls, everyone thinks they have the right answer to the situation.
Much simpler to just send the purge squads.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

it's a tough situation

whoa, so that's how you become a dungeon master? that sounds pretty sweet! everyone knows that dungeons generate treasure!

they'd just ignore the parts they didn't like and come up with reasons why they, personally, would be okay. every dungeon diver is willing to risk their life to fulfill their desires and they are all potential dungeon masters.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I dunno, have Mithrun do PSAs. "I thought becoming a dungeonmaster would be a good idea..." Tour high schools and such.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

whoa, so that's how you become a dungeon master? that sounds pretty sweet! everyone knows that dungeons generate treasure!

they'd just ignore the parts they didn't like and come up with reasons why they, personally, would be okay. every dungeon diver is willing to risk their life to fulfill their desires and they are all potential dungeon masters.

It's a question of percentages. Some portion of adventurers, if the elves regularly gave an honest-but-incomplete description of why you need to eventually evacuate dungeons, (something will eat people's souls, the town will be destroyed, etc.) would respond to the Canaries arriving with "Whelp, money was good, but it looks like it just ran out. We'll be on our way, thanks for the heads up".

There'd just also be a portion who wanted to press their luck, some even going so far as to entertain the idea of getting to be Dungeon Lord.

The question is if the people who'd be more cooperative would outnumber the ones who wouldn't. And the elves don't care. This has worked so far, and there's no reason to change it for the comfort of the inferior... err... short lived.

(And now it's blowing up in their faces.)

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

I Am Fowl posted:

I dunno, have Mithrun do PSAs. "I thought becoming a dungeonmaster would be a good idea..." Tour high schools and such.

quote:

becoming a dungeonmaster would be a good idea

gently caress yeah he said it himself

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mithrun was a canary who knew all about demons and dungeons and he still succumbed to temptation. the canaries suck but they are less bad than any other option.

laios' party got screwed over hard by not knowing anything about demons. however, if they had known then laios and marcille probably would have done different but equally stupid things.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mithrun was a canary who knew all about demons and dungeons and he still succumbed to temptation. the canaries suck but they are less bad than any other option.

laios' party got screwed over hard by not knowing anything about demons. however, if they had known then laios and marcille probably would have done different but equally stupid things.

“How’s it taste”

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Oxxidation posted:

“How’s it taste”

'Recursive'

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
It would probably help if non-elves had any reason to trust and/or respect elves at all

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
The elves' worst habit is treating non-elves as, basically, children whose toys need to be taken away before they hurt themselves or anyone else, especially in cases where their naked self-interest (in the spell of immortality, say) has a chance to shine through. They've got paternalism and colonial ambitions. Worst of both worlds!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
If some nigh-immortal shithead wizard told me “don’t go into that place with a lot of valuable stuff in it or we’ll give you a life sentence in prison without actually charging you with a crime before releasing you as an old man because we have no concept of time” I’m gonna go into that dungeon just on principle

Edit:

Kanos posted:

all the things I just said

That’ll teach me to skim the thread at work

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the elves are hot tho

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Poltergrift posted:

The elves' worst habit is treating non-elves as, basically, children whose toys need to be taken away before they hurt themselves or anyone else, especially in cases where their naked self-interest (in the spell of immortality, say) has a chance to shine through. They've got paternalism and colonial ambitions. Worst of both worlds!

This is normal of long lived races in fantasy

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

This is normal of long lived races in fantasy

Dumbass Vulcans

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

How many chapters do you think we have left in the main arc?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I think the Elves need to create a union of races in the canaries. A lot of the pushback comes from elves being seen as dicks (rightfully so!) If they had tallmen, halfmen, dwarven and etc canaries then you could have a representative besides just an elf.

"Yes the elves are dicks but unfortunately they are right."

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Funnily enough, I think that would be pretty much an ideal ending for Laios. Touring dungeons all over the world and trying to cook and taste monsters within them, while elves pay for it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
We're gonna build a dungeon menu and the Elves are gonna pay for it.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

We're Gonna Build a Dungeon Menu and the Elves are Gonna Pay For It.

Thats a nice webnovel title you got there

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It would be pretty interesting for Marcille's equalizing-the-lifespans wish to be somehow granted in a way that makes elves mortal like everyone else just to see how horribly they'd melt down about it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Boom now everyone lives only as long as halfmen

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Haystack posted:

Thats a nice webnovel title you got there

CHUD Isekai, I can see the bucks rolling in as we speak!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

CHUD Isekai, I can see the bucks rolling in as we speak!

isn't that all of them

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

HenryEx posted:

isn't that all of them

Not all sekais

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The thin dirty book.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
New chapter

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
every chapter i feel more and more sympathy for the canaries that have to deal with all of these utter weirdos

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh no, my favorite relationship has been put on ice

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

every chapter i feel more and more sympathy for the canaries that have to deal with all of these utter weirdos

I still have no idea what the smart thing to do here is, but I am confident than no-one is doing it, whatever it may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

God, why did it have to reference that weird snail parasite I hate that thing