Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Technically Lews wasn't the first Dragon and Rand isn't the first Dragon Reborn :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah I did not hear the capital on "last Dragon" but in a series that frequently references the Last Battle it could get confusing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Losers whine about doing their best, winners go home and gently caress the court bard

:discourse:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

I don't think that the "last" is capitalised, but you're right that it feels like something there was more than one of. It's a significant thing in WOT that when Lews Therin Telamon took the title "Dragon", nobody knew what the gently caress he was talking about or what that firebreathing serpent thing he was using as his emblem was.

I thought it was just people in the Third Age who had never heard of one, I think it was probably still a thing in the Age of Legends

And in typical fashion only the word survived, and until the banner is found didn't mean anything other than Lews, kind of like that Mercedes hood ornament had no context other than pride

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

DarkHorse posted:

I thought it was just people in the Third Age who had never heard of one, I think it was probably still a thing in the Age of Legends

And in typical fashion only the word survived, and until the banner is found didn't mean anything other than Lews, kind of like that Mercedes hood ornament had no context other than pride

Didn't they use the redstone doorways and ghenji to get to Finnland in the AOL? I wonder if Lews ever went in and got the dragon banner and was hung. Cool to think about, miss RJ.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Technically Lews wasn't the first Dragon and Rand isn't the first Dragon Reborn :eng101:

He could very well be. Dragon was a title given to Lew Therin, and Dragon Reborn is a title Rand. No records if people before him were called the Dragon or why.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Technically Lewis was the first Dragon because that's what he was called. The Dragon. Rand is the Dragon Reborn, as in, this particular guy reborn. The other "Dragons" before them could have been called Mega-Muffins for all we know, as what their people called them at the time is lost

It'd probably be more accurate to call the class of people Lews and Rand belong to "Wheel Warriors" or something

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Libluini posted:

Technically Lewis was the first Dragon because that's what he was called. The Dragon. Rand is the Dragon Reborn, as in, this particular guy reborn. The other "Dragons" before them could have been called Mega-Muffins for all we know, as what their people called them at the time is lost

It'd probably be more accurate to call the class of people Lews and Rand belong to "Wheel Warriors" or something

Heroes of the Horn

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Not to step on toes but Calenth posted this back years ago in the previous version of this thread:

I love this because compared to my acquaintance's "I totally knew RJ :byodood:" story, god drat

This only showed up what, like twice? And there's all these other increasingly efficient methods of Fast Travel they keep discovering as time goes on. Everyone always says WoT is a shonen anime; eh, more like it's a JRPG

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Libluini posted:

Great now I have more lore to study

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
this was pages ago but im glad my throwaway riff on the seinfeld thing about cell phones generated real discussion!

i cringed at the "last dragon" but it's the kind of thing people are used to hearing

also " a baby ...a baby who could change the world"

he is coming..light help us......he burns like the sun....GANGWAYYYYYYYYYYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqsaWQ_17Ts

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Barreft posted:

Didn't they use the redstone doorways and ghenji to get to Finnland in the AOL? I wonder if Lews ever went in and got the dragon banner and was hung. Cool to think about, miss RJ.

"My two wishes are an inspiring symbol with which to lead, and also a massive hog - thanks in advance"

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I just wish the trailer ended with the line "Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time" because it makes a good trailer ending stinger. It also wouldn't mean much to new people but would be a cool Easter egg for us book readers.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I love that they're including Egwene as a potential Dragon Reborn. It instantly beefs up her character

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
That's the problem with saying Last Dragon over and over. I almost made this connection earlier but it's been a long day.

Skyrim.

Skyrim turns ten years old about a week before The Wheel on Prime starts and is about the Last Dragon(born).

This isn't a big deal but I do find the framing of "the last Dragon" kind of weird. Very curious about how it'll be explained in this turning of the wheel. How much The Dragon will be a known recurring figure, and not just That Guy, Again.

fake edit:

Mage_Boy posted:

I just wish the trailer ended with the line "Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time" because it makes a good trailer ending stinger. It also wouldn't mean much to new people but would be a cool Easter egg for us book readers.
That would be really cool and I'll be sad if that line isn't included somewhere in the promo material. Sadder still if it somehow isn't in the series. (I might just be upset if the series does actually reach the conclusion and "... and like the wind, was gone." is somehow not included.)

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
If the series changes Egwene to be the dragon reborn, I will forgive any other rewrites. That'd be so awesome!

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 23, 2021

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Get out of my head, Louise Therin!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DarkHorse posted:

Nope. We are explicitly told that nobody in the AOL knew what a Dragon was. If memory serves, Rand sees it when he enters the glass columns at Rhuidean.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Vavrek posted:

That's the problem with saying Last Dragon over and over. I almost made this connection earlier but it's been a long day.

Skyrim.

Skyrim turns ten years old about a week before The Wheel on Prime starts and is about the Last Dragon(born).

This isn't a big deal but I do find the framing of "the last Dragon" kind of weird. Very curious about how it'll be explained in this turning of the wheel. How much The Dragon will be a known recurring figure, and not just That Guy, Again.

I think this is a confusion over last as in 'final' and last as in 'previous'. The last week, or the *last* week.

We already know Logain is a false Dragon and is getting more screentime, so I assume they're keeping the themes of reincarnation and taking the mantle of the Dragon as a way to seek power. We'll almost certainly see a Baalzamon dream sequence with him referencing previous false Dragons too going by that trailer.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pleads posted:

Get out of my head, Louise Therin!

:vince:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Hexel posted:

red hand gang :toot:

The hand is red from all the spankings

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Not So Fast posted:

I think this is a confusion over last as in 'final' and last as in 'previous'. The last week, or the *last* week.

We already know Logain is a false Dragon and is getting more screentime, so I assume they're keeping the themes of reincarnation and taking the mantle of the Dragon as a way to seek power. We'll almost certainly see a Baalzamon dream sequence with him referencing previous false Dragons too going by that trailer.

No, I get that point, that it's The Previous Dragon, not The Final Dragon. It's just a different framing than The Dragon and The Dragon Reborn, because (I think?) it emphasizes that The Dragon is a recurring thing, maybe an archetype that gets filled. While in the books it's always that The Dragon means just The Kinslayer. (Rand is the Dragon Reborn, not the Dragon.)

Which is neat! One cool thing that I only picked up on last year, I think, was the idea that Rand is possibly/probably one of the Heroes of the Horn, and spent the last few thousand years chilling in TAR with the others. The Horn just wasn't blown between when he died and was reborn the most recent time.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Lews definitely got named the Dragon during the War of the Power for his battle prowess and victories so I can only assume they knew what it meant back then

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

this language from the beginning of the great hunt: an age yet to come, an age long past; makes it seem like this poo poo has been going on forever and will keep going on

it's just janky dialogue in the teaser

works much better on paper

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m laughing imagining some showrunner telling all the actors “ok so here’s all 14 books, I want you to be ready for a study session next Tuesday”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

I’m laughing imagining some showrunner telling all the actors “ok so here’s all 14 books, I want you to be ready for a study session next Tuesday”

They talked about this in the recent Comic-con panel. Most of them have read at least some of the books but none of the major cast have finished the whole series yet. The furthest is Josha who is on book 11.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They talked about this in the recent Comic-con panel. Most of them have read at least some of the books but none of the major cast have finished the whole series yet. The furthest is Josha who is on book 11.

I want him to have some full-spoilers conversation about reading the books sometime. Like, he wasn't a preexisting fan, he started after/around being cast as Rand, right? What was it like to balance the scripts and direction he's getting for the show, with the book version of his character going from "innocent farmboy" to ... :supaburn: ? I think it'd be an interesting conversation.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It sounds like everyone had either never heard of the series or had already read the whole series, no in-between

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Vavrek posted:

I want him to have some full-spoilers conversation about reading the books sometime. Like, he wasn't a preexisting fan, he started after/around being cast as Rand, right? What was it like to balance the scripts and direction he's getting for the show, with the book version of his character going from "innocent farmboy" to ... :supaburn: ? I think it'd be an interesting conversation.

I agree, but it's one that would probably be best served waiting until after the series wraps, ya know?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i mean, it really can't be chesmal emry lmao

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It totally could be Chesmal Emry

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Rarity posted:

It totally could be Chesmal Emry

If they want to have a scene with "heart stopping" power she'd be an excellent pick.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Depends on the healing in question, because Chesmal is going to have to pretend to be her Yellow Ajah self until the 3rd book.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Depends on the healing in question, because Chesmal is going to have to pretend to be her Yellow Ajah self until the 3rd book.

If you did include Chesmal early, then her interactions with Nynaeve could be interesting. If you want to foreshadow her heel turn, you have Nynaeve try to go to her for healing instruction and get the cold shoulder. If you want to maximize the pathos, have Nynaeve go to her for instruction and get it, and actually learn something, so that when it turns out Chesmal is Black, the betrayal hits harder.

That was the trouble with the original book portrayal...only Liandrin had been seen before so when a full 13 Aes Sedai defected, the rest of the group was just a bunch of names that didn't mean anything to the reader. If, on the other hand, some of them get some screen time interacting with the Wonder Girls BEFORE they defect? That means more. Hell, you could even have Chesmal be part of the Seanchan sell-out. It always struck me as weird that the girls were so willing to trust Liandrin to take them on a "secret mission" when they hadn't really done anything with Liandrin before then. If, on the other hand, you establish Chesmal as Nynaeve's mentor in healing magic first, then it's a lot more credible that Nynaeve would go along with it, and thus that credibility would help convince the rest of the girls as well.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more including Chesmal early makes a lot of sense!

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Exactly what I was thinking - Chesmal must do a lot of perfectly normal Healing to blend in.

However, the Healing they are talking about there is very likely going to be Matt's healing (assuming that is kept the way it is), and Siuan would never in a million years have picked Chesmal to help out (since she knew that there was a good chance that Chesmal was Black due to New Spring events).

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

this gives me confidence in the writers

and gently caress chesmal emry

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What did Mat need healing for? I forget.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nitrousoxide posted:

Removing his link with the Shadar Lorgoth dagger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

Breaking the link to the dagger. The healing required a full circle of thirteen.