Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the spaceship shots are kinda important to the mood- you do need to convey the power of the forces at work, the mammoth machines dwarfing the men that control them and all.

I do find it curious that Paul never says the "I must not fear" speech- it's Jessica both times. Odd choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

shrike82 posted:

the drawn out shots were nice but not worth losing the airtime that could have been spent on characterization

I thought the characterisation was fine, myself. Yes some book characters were undeveloped but the characters who drove the film itself were all sufficiently realised to me.

Also, just chiming in to add to the general consensus that this was an awesome film, in the literal sense of the word. I was in awe of how both real and fantastical everything seemed.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Without having read or seen anything Dune-related in my life, I think this was mostly just okay. There were, unfortunately, a lot more parts that bored me than I would have liked.

But what usually happens with these sorts of adaptations is that I'll think it's mostly just okay, then I'll read the source material and I think it's great, and then I rewatch the adaptation and then all of a sudden I think it's great as well for some reason.

It took me for-loving-ever to figure out if the blue light meant that the attack got blocked or if it was the red light.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 23, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I feel like two or three Chani visions could have been traded for a couple minutes of

”Theres a spy!”

“Hey I bet you’re the spy”

“How are your mentat lessons”

“Isn’t it cool how I can float because of these repulsors”

“Did I ever tell you how I got fat and diseased”

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

shrike82 posted:

the drawn out shots were nice but not worth losing the airtime that could have been spent on characterization

This is a movie and franchise that need to make money from IMAX screenings to continue, so I'm fine with the sweeping, breathtaking scenery shots. There should have been twice as many

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like the spaceship shots are kinda important to the mood- you do need to convey the power of the forces at work, the mammoth machines dwarfing the men that control them and all.

I do find it curious that Paul never says the "I must not fear" speech- it's Jessica both times. Odd choice.

Probably because otherwise they'd have to what the Lynch movie did and vocalize a lot of the internal thoughts, which got goofy and creepy very fast.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I don't mind the cuts because honestly Yueh and Thufir really aren't in the story past a certain point. Almost every character from the first part of the book dies in the attack or shortly thereafter. The only person close to Paul who really has something resembling a plot arc in the second half of the book is Jessica, so I'm not surprised they gave her maximum time in the movie. The majority of the really important characters are all Fremen, who we literally are only introduced to at the end of the movie and who we will get to know in Part 2. I personally always thought it was absurd that Herbert introduced the unbreakable Imperial Physician indoctrination, and then literally the only character in the book who has undergone it breaks it and then promptly dies a few scenes later. Yueh is really not someone we need to focus on. Thufir is cool in the first half of the book, but again, he's not part of the central story of Paul and Jessica. They did a good job of fleshing out the characters that move Paul and Jessica's story forward (The Duke, Duncan, Kynes), and didn't use up time focusing on side characters, most of who die and never play any role afterwards.

Honestly, the only thing I'm pissed about being removed is Kynes telling Paul, "...Urine and feces are processed in the thigh pads." when describing the stillsuits. I've read the book too many times to count, and that line still makes me giggle everytime. It's a goddamn travesty that they removed it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay that and I feel somehow the siege of Arrakeen shoulda been better? Like there’s some cool parts but this is the big devastating scene where the bad guys slaughter everyone and it hits kinda soft. Honestly I think Zimmer fell short here, the scene’s got a lot of emotional beats and you can’t just have the same drone going through all of it.
The issue I had with it was, it was short, there was basically no real fight, and the actual cause of their demise was never shown or explained. Sure the trusted doctor disabled the city's shield and everything. But, uh, wait... how?? The duke's son had just been nearly assassinated, they spend the whole first half of the movie warning Paul about how everyone's going to try to kill them, but they don't have a fuckton of guards on their shield control room who won't let anyone anywhere near it, or they have that location totally secret or... any one of a million plans that mean a doctor would have to have a totally insane plan to be able to bring it down?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah the long wide shots were important for tone and scale but I would've preferred a better balance with more character development as the other poster said.

Also if they had Paul doing the fear is the mind killer speech, he would have actually had to display... fear? I don't think he does at any point? He's way too perfect chosen one boy. Except for at the end before the dual

Steve Yun posted:

I feel like two or three Chani visions could have been traded for a couple minutes of

”Theres a spy!”

This as well. There were so many. You could've had some valuable character stuff in there that would make the destruction of the Atreides a heck of a lot more impactful to watch.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I don't mind the cuts because honestly Yueh and Thufir really aren't in the story past a certain point. Almost every character from the first part of the book dies in the attack or shortly thereafter. The only person close to Paul who really has something resembling a plot arc in the second half of the book is Jessica, so I'm not surprised they gave her maximum time in the movie.
I'd argue it's important to give Paul some proper interaction time with them in order to teach the audience about why the kid is who he is. But again that would have required some actual fleshed out character for Paul, and I couldn't detect much of that.

e: booking tickets for BFI IMAX screening next week, woop woop

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 23, 2021

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
People keep talking about wanting a longer cut to flesh out the characters more, but I doubt that would work well.

The incident that gets things moving is Leto's capture. In the 1984 movie, this happens at the 1 hour mark. In the television/extended version of the 1984 movie (the 'Alan Smithee' one), it happens at the 1 hr 28 min mark. In the 2000 miniseries, it happens at the 1 hr 18 min mark. In the 2021 movie, it happens at the 1 hr 16 min mark.

Later, Leto dies. In the 1984 movie, this happens at the 1 hr 12 min mark. In the extended edition, it happens at the 1 hr 44 min mark. In the 2000 miniseries, it happens at the 1 hr 26 min mark. In the 2021 movie, it happens at the 1 hr 31 min mark.

I really doubt you can make substantial additions to the first part without the overall pacing really suffering. The 'setup' would take longer than an hour and a half.

You could change the general pacing of the movie so that more things fit into less time, but at that point we're just talking about making a different movie and not this one.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 23, 2021

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

El Grillo posted:

uh, wait... how?? The duke's son had just been nearly assassinated, they spend the whole first half of the movie warning Paul about how everyone's going to try to kill them, but they don't have a fuckton of guards on their shield control room who won't let anyone anywhere near it, or they have that location totally secret or... any one of a million plans that mean a doctor would have to have a totally insane plan to be able to bring it down?

I can assure you that practically nobody watching this movie is thinking about the logistics of shield control room vigilance. Even after reading this argument, I don't care at all. It can be rationalized in a thousand different ways.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 23, 2021

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Meh, it just seemed anticlimactic to me, trying to work out why

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

”Theres a spy!”

There is a little over 2 minutes of 'visions of Chani' in the whole movie.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Why would this need any sort of explaination?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Philthy posted:

When he put his hand into the box and started grunting I was waiting for the burning hand, melting hand montages and he just kept grunting and then it cut to a shot of Jessica gagging with more screaming and then back to the room of him grunting and wincing. It felt like 10 minutes of dudes hand in a box pretending to be in pain with no context and then it finally showed his hand turning to ash. I think I watched the Lynch version too much.

I enjoyed this vid where director breaks down that scene and explains why he chose to film it that way.

https://youtu.be/GoAA0sYkLI0

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Beautiful movie and VERY atmospheric. The characters sucked though, they all felt thin or uninteresting. Since I haven't read the books or seen the old movie, I'm interested to see where this goes next

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Lmao what the gently caress is this movie who let this get made it’s two hours of a kid tripping balls and evil throat singing it loving rules thing barely feels like an introduction much less a story lmao part one good luck with that

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

El Grillo posted:

Yeah the long wide shots were important for tone and scale but I would've preferred a better balance with more character development as the other poster said.

The movie is called DUNE not CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!!

I read somewhere that the constant Chani flash forwards had a bit of a point - you see with Jamis the flashforwards very quickly can mean nothing and have to be made to happen. But Paul sees chani so much she is inescapable and every “strand” of his future has her

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Crespolini posted:

Why would this need any sort of explaination?

You can't just expect audiences to see a fat guy and not ask questions.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there are a lot of missing scenes that take away from the movie eg. the jessica-thufir confrontation which underscores the power of the BG and how they're viewed by other parties

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Random side note but

Seeing a giant space ship land on a planet and lower a ramp from which dozens of guys walk off

Seeing thousands of guys at large ceremonies

Dudes in armor melee fighting despite advanced technology

Guys in 1800’s European military dress uniforms

Fighters swooping between capital ships

really makes me think a Legend of Galactic Heroes live action series would be loving awesome

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

The siege is very abrupt. They spend an hour saying how much danger they will be in. political danger. and then they are on the planet for a week, and are attacked and killed. there are maybe two scenes of machinations against them before they are destroyed with ease. Why wouldn’t the harkonens blow up their ship in space, instead of destroying infrastructure in their presumably important city

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
They seemed to have guns and tools capable of penetrating personal shields like those burrowing needle things or the big bombs that slowed down before they hit the shield but then they go and only use swords in actual fights?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I've never read the books or seen any media aside from Lynch's version which I can barely remember, so I went into this pretty much blind but found it to be an entertaining movie. The only real gripe that I have is Josh Brolin's character (sorry, I forget his name) seemingly dying off-screen? I wish that the attack scene had been a little longer because we see so much of him and the last I recall is him charging into battle and killing some Harkonens as the others follow him. It's conveyed as a massacre but for such a long film, could we have not had maybe a minute or two of him going down fighting? I might have missed something among the spectacle however.

I think that may have possibly been filmed and merely cut to trim down the running time? First post in this thread and unsure if it's been mentioned previously, but apparently Jason Momoa has stated that they filmed about 4-6 hours of footage for this film and is calling for a director's cut which if true, I would really like to see.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

SUNKOS posted:

I've never read the books or seen any media aside from Lynch's version which I can barely remember, so I went into this pretty much blind but found it to be an entertaining movie. The only real gripe that I have is Josh Brolin's character (sorry, I forget his name) seemingly dying off-screen? I wish that the attack scene had been a little longer because we see so much of him and the last I recall is him charging into battle and killing some Harkonens as the others follow him. It's conveyed as a massacre but for such a long film, could we have not had maybe a minute or two of him going down fighting? I might have missed something among the spectacle however.

I think that may have possibly been filmed and merely cut to trim down the running time? First post in this thread and unsure if it's been mentioned previously, but apparently Jason Momoa has stated that they filmed about 4-6 hours of footage for this film and is calling for a director's cut which if true, I would really like to see.

Gurney Halleck survives in the book so presumably does in the movie as well

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

I still think “Har-KOHN-ens” sounds better.

As does Pahd-ish-AH. I didn't like the linguistic changes. And the 1984 movie had better language. "Remove my son's bonds." "Cattle and loveplay." "This is fitted desert fashion/it seemed the proper way."

GORDON fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 23, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Lol my iPhone 12 apparently makes the movie look better than my plasma TV or my old iMac. Might be time to shop for a new TV.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
lol goddamn all the stuff i was dubious about based on the trailers and whatever else made perfect sense and was incredible in the film. i would've liked maybe ten-twenty more minutes but goddamn. kull wahad!

edit: i wasn't a big fan of the white sardaukar for example until you realize that oh poo poo these guys have a bit of a blood thing and will come out of battle showing off the blood of their enemies on their suits of armor

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

This movie ruled. I was just kinda ehh on the original but this was so good it actually improved my opinion on it. Some truly beautiful shots. The scene of the emperors dudes getting blessed or whatever is like some 40k poo poo. This just fired on every cylinder for me and I never expected it to at all especially after seeing the trailer.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Are we getting to the point I can relax in the knowledge there's probably gonna be a Part 2?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Automatic Slim posted:

It's a testament to Villeneuve's skill at the pacing of this movie. Forty-five minutes in I was surprised how much and little happened in regards to plot but was fascinated all the way.

it's easily the shortest 2.5 hour movie i've ever seen. absolutely did not feel the length. i refrained from checking my phone at any point so i truly had to guess how long had passed, and while yes i was megabeefed on 80mg of THC edibles, i wasn't THAT stoned and i was surprised when i realized the movie was ending. felt like it had only been about 100 mins

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Are we getting to the point I can relax in the knowledge there's probably gonna be a Part 2?

Until they actually start shooting I won’t believe it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

GORDON posted:

As does Pahd-ish-AH. I didn't like the linguistic changes. And the 1984 movie had better language. "Remove my son's bonds." "Cattle and loveplay." "This is fitted desert fashion/it seemed the proper way."

I think the first and last are direct book quotes

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GORDON posted:

Padishah is a real word

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

david_a posted:

Until they actually start shooting I won’t believe it.

ehhhh i dunno, part 2 of this seems fairly inevitable.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

ehhhh i dunno, part 2 of this seems fairly inevitable.

I tend to agree, but the industry and in particular the economics of it are changing so quickly and so often that I'm not breathing easy until I see a trailer.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
talking of which, my theater had a lot of audible confusion when "PART ONE" came up on the title card lmao

gottem

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Did it make money? Then yeah it's getting a sequel

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Lakedaimon posted:

But what is still weird to me is that even though this movie only covers half the book and runs over 2 and a half hours, it still felt like things rushed along too fast.

This is from the last page, but I wanted to point out that part one (the movie) covers more than half the book, and that first half is much more exposition- and jargon-heavy than the second half. The second part should have plenty of exposition of what Fremen society is like, and hopefully more off world stuff, but with the overall universe established I expect it to have much more room for characters themselves to breathe.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

shrike82 posted:

there are a lot of missing scenes that take away from the movie eg. the jessica-thufir confrontation which underscores the power of the BG and how they're viewed by other parties

Does it take away from the movie, though? I can't imagine watching the film and not coming to the same conclusions about the BG even without that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

One detail I really appreciated is that we're first shown how Paul has almost mastered The Voice when he commands Jessica to give him some water, and the next time we see The Voice used it's on Paul with there being an implicit point of view where we don't see the steps Paul takes towards Mohaim, indicating how completely someone loses control of themselves when The Voice is used on them, to the point that they're not even aware of what happens.

Spergin Morlock posted:

he was deliberately infected with a disfiguring disease by RM Helen Gaius Mohiam. it's explained in one of the prequel books. the Baron was fit before that happened

Spergin Morlock posted:

it happens long in the past. the Bene Gesserit need his genes as part of their program and the Baron refuses to cooperate at first because he likes boys and doesn't want to impregnate Mohiam. she presses the point and he gets angry and rapes her violently. as that is happening she releases a disease in him as revenge. Jessica was the result of that "union"
This didn't happen, there are only 6 Dune books. :colbert:

Arglebargle III posted:

The galactic holocaust isn't avoidable without Paul dying, which is kind of a theme. Paul knowingly trades the Atreides dynasty and Paul's personal survival for something like 60 billion lives. Adult Paul with more experience of ruling and prescience encounters a similar choice and decides to walk into the desert without a stillsuit rather than go on.
Paul walks into the desert to assure that the Fremem will be loyal to the Atreides, not to him personally as they are during the first book where he's the cause of the Jihad in his name - and he does it only after acknowledging that Leto II has seen the fullness of the Golden Path. Before that, he was just trying to destroy his own name, in the hopes of stopping the Jihad.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Book stuff
Isn't Paul like cannonically a chicken for wussing out of becoming the big worm monster than his son ultimately becomes in his stead? Someone needed to become that to save humanity, but passed the buck to his kid despite knowing full well what was required
I always assumed Paul couldn't go through with the Golden Path because he was not a complete Kwizats Hadarach, as he was born a generation too early.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I still think “Har-KOHN-ens” sounds better.
Yep, that's how I've always read it too - I think Harkonnens are supposed to be descended from Finnish people, and Atreides are supposed to be descended from Greek people.
Of course there's 20000 years in between, so in reality they would be descended from everyone living today.

Steve Yun posted:

The 1984 worms looked cooler with their double layers of three lips. I get why he went with a round-mouthed worm with baleen for teeth, it looks like an eye staring at you, but it’s just not as cool looking

Eeh, I dunno - I kinda like that you can actually see how the Krysknife comes from a worm tooth with the Dune 2021 sandworms.
Also that sandworms seem to move by vibrating the sand so it attains fluid dynamics, that's a cool touch.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can see an inner part of the worm close up in a short very shortly after or before the one you linked:

Steve Yun posted:

Okay so it’s nagging at me that Villeneuve dressed the Atreides hardware as modern American military imagery. Even the headsets that the passengers wear in the ornithopter look like stuff from 20th century America

Is there a deliberate subtext here.
I'd love it if there was.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Did it make money? Then yeah it's getting a sequel
I think the non-US markets brought it very close to breaking even, or even a bit over - so the ~30$ million it's made in US box office should ensure that it's made a profit.

Also, Warner Bros CEO pretty much confirmed it:
https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1451174429954818048

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 23, 2021