Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

If that's fresh water an electric current wouldn't travel too far from the source, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

If that's fresh water an electric current wouldn't travel too far from the source, right?

It's pool water, lots of ions in it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't water an extremely good radiation shielding?

It is, yes.

quote:

On August 31st, 2010, a diver was servicing the spent fuel pool at the Leibstadt nuclear reactor in Switzerland. He spotted an unidentified length of tubing on the bottom of the pool and radioed his supervisor to ask what to do. He was told to put it in his tool basket, which he did. Due to bubble noise in the pool, he didn’t hear his radiation alarm.

When the tool basket was lifted from the water, the room’s radiation alarms went off. The basket was dropped back in the water and the diver left the pool. The diver’s dosimeter badges showed that he’d received a higher-than-normal whole-body dose, and the dose in his right hand was extremely high.

The object turned out to be protective tubing from a radiation monitor in the reactor core, made highly radioactive by neutron flux. It had been accidentally sheared off while a capsule was being closed in 2006. It sank to a remote corner of the pool floor, where it sat unnoticed for four years.

The tubing was so radioactive that if he’d tucked it into a tool belt or shoulder bag, where it sat close to his body, he could’ve been killed. As it was, the water protected him, and only his hand—a body part more resistant to radiation than the delicate internal organs—received a heavy dose.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Computer viking posted:

E: Oh there was another page.

Not to start another euro/us derail, but I kind of like the solution in my apartment - which also seems common enough around the country. No lip around the shower, just curtains and a slope to the drain. The entire bathroom has the same waterproof flooring, and there is a very mild slope towards the shower (or sometimes another drain).

The downside is that the floor does get wet, unless your curtains are long enough to touch the floor - and they quickly go a bit grody if they do. The upside is that you can easily squeegee any water into the drain. You can wash the entire floor quickly by hosing it down with the shower, and if you need to do something inconvenient you can open the curtains, accept that everything will be drenched, and use most of the floor.

i have seen these in america in housing designed for older people. my grandparents lived in a place where the floor drain was a channel covered by a grate, and it ran the full length of the floor along the line where the shower met the rest of the bathroom. it worked pretty well and water didn't ever get too far past the grate after using the shower

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i have seen these in america in housing designed for older people. my grandparents lived in a place where the floor drain was a channel covered by a grate, and it ran the full length of the floor along the line where the shower met the rest of the bathroom. it worked pretty well and water didn't ever get too far past the grate after using the shower

That sounds eminently sensible, if a bit institutional looking. Probably a nice solution if you have small kids or a big dog, too?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

If that was in Florida, every unit would be on zillow or in some investor portfolio waiting for an insurance payout.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

It's cheaper to build tall buildings on their side then just raise them up

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Computer viking posted:

That sounds eminently sensible, if a bit institutional looking. Probably a nice solution if you have small kids or a big dog, too?

Wet room bathrooms are becoming more popular. They're all over east Asia. Basically, the entire bathroom is a shower stall. They're great for the disabled because you can wheel grandpa right into the shower.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The building is just having a no bones day.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Are we sure this is crappy construction and not fantastic construction? It's all tipped over but still not falling apart.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If that was in Florida, every unit would be on zillow or in some investor portfolio waiting for an insurance payout.

Tangentially related:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...source=txtshare

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

rndmnmbr posted:

I remember when these first came out in the early 90's. There was a PBS home improvement show - I want to say This Old House? - that practically fellated backstabs as The Wave Of The Future.

I grabbed a spare outlet at work (we had some work done recently), and it kinda still had backstabs - there was a plate with the screw, and you could either loop the wire around the screw, or stab it behind the plate, but either way you still had to tighten the screw to secure it. Seems both a lot more secure, and also completely useless because a good electrician would make the loop to begin with.

I use the backstabs all the time. I insert the wire until just before it catches and then I bend it 180° and it makes the perfect loop to connect it properly under the screw.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

kid sinister posted:

Wet room bathrooms are becoming more popular. They're all over east Asia. Basically, the entire bathroom is a shower stall. They're great for the disabled because you can wheel grandpa right into the shower.

I want my kitchen to be completely hose-downable. With a drain in the middle that has an compactor in it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I want a whole-house fan just for the kitchen, so I can turn it on and suck all of the plates, utensils, and food waste off of my counters and blow them into my neighbor's side yard

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

MattO posted:

I want my kitchen to be completely hose-downable. With a drain in the middle that has an compactor in it.

Kitchen or kill room?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

therobit posted:

Kitchen or kill room?

Dual use rooms can elevate resale value.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

We call this space the “killchen,” which I think sounds really cozy!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MattO posted:

I remember seeing this in one of those 1950's "house of the future" concepts. Everything would be plastic and waterproof, so no more vacuuming or sweeping, just hose down the entire living room every week.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

rndmnmbr posted:

I grabbed a spare outlet at work (we had some work done recently), and it kinda still had backstabs - there was a plate with the screw, and you could either loop the wire around the screw, or stab it behind the plate, but either way you still had to tighten the screw to secure it. Seems both a lot more secure, and also completely useless because a good electrician would make the loop to begin with.

Honest question - are the screw-plate style terminals in any way inadequate? Sure they aren't as much contact area as a loop under a good binding screw, but they have got to be at least a factor of 20-50 better contact area than spring backstabs with waaaay better clamping force. The commercial Hubbell's I use even have the plate contoured to better contact the wire.

While I can't argue they are *as good* as a loop under a binding screw, is there any data to say they are in any way inadequate or sub-par for 15/20A wiring? I ask because I use them pretty exclusively because of the convenience, and they seem plenty robust mechanically if you crank on the screw.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The problem with backstabs are they are not consistently reliable, and the installer has no way of visually confirming the connection is good.

With screw/plate it is visually obvious if the connection is defective or you hosed it up.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I remember seeing this in one of those 1950's "house of the future" concepts. Everything would be plastic and waterproof, so no more vacuuming or sweeping, just hose down the entire living room every week.

Exactly! sealed off and irradiated is also an option for superior cleanliness

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bTwY08MJO4

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The Honda Element was designed to be hosed out like that, because Honda was going after the dog owner market.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The Honda Element was designed to be hosed out like that, because Honda was going after the dog owner market.

Or the taxi cab market.

Being able to take a pressure washer to the cab's interior is a huge plus after a bar closing shift.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Put in a wet room for a bathroom and to save time it’s also the car I commute with!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LonsomeSon posted:

Put in a wet room for a bathroom and to save time it’s also the car I commute with!

No need to pull over if you need to pee!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

MattO posted:

Mine is.

Would be a lot nicer if the floor drain was the low point of the floor and didn't constantly leak sewer gases. Repeat for all four bathrooms in the place.

I live on a western compound in KSA. My villa is insane.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Got to say I'm glad I went with Fusion Stone instead of the vinyl "stone". It looks a lot better, much more durable, and it's surprisingly easy to install even when cutting thin runs for under the windows.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've seen still-bagged cement used to stop erosion on drainage channels/culverts (and I think there may even be special mixes/bags designed specifically for that), but isn't that driveway just going to come apart as soon as anyone drives on it with any frequency?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GotLag posted:

I've seen still-bagged cement used to stop erosion on drainage channels/culverts (and I think there may even be special mixes/bags designed specifically for that), but isn't that driveway just going to come apart as soon as anyone drives on it with any frequency?

Yeah, that's a "slingbag". It's (maybe a special mix? and) in burlap, not plastic-in-paper like the stuff you'd normally get.

And you definitely wouldn't want to use it for a driveway/apron. I don't get what's happening there at at......surely it's cheaper to dump a couple truckloads of riprap there. I've always seen bagged stuff used more for when you need to stack it like into a wall or slope.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 22, 2021

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Only time I've ever seen people use whole bags of cement is when they just throw them in the crib of a dock frame for weight when they don't have rocks handy.

If I had to guess what they're doing in the video is using it as a foundation and then they'll pour that far over top of it. I'm guessing they're concerned about their road washing out onto the highway.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Darchangel posted:

No need to pull over if you need to pee!

Every time I make eye contact with someone driving an Element, now, I’m going to be wondering if they’re pissing or making GBS threads, below the window

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/A0XXxpq.mp4

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

That they still managed to get paint all over the face plates is :discourse:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blistex posted:

Got to say I'm glad I went with Fusion Stone instead of the vinyl "stone". It looks a lot better, much more durable, and it's surprisingly easy to install even when cutting thin runs for under the windows.

Oh no you installed the door way too high!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
We're you watching me take acid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Amazing on so many levels.

1: there is nothing easier to remove to paint than a faceplate.

2: they knew about the concept of painters tape but absolutely misunderstood it.

3: they still got paint all over the faceplates.

I hate this video so much. It kills my faith in people more so than other worse things.