Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
All the ND stories bring back memories of idiots offing each other playing loving quick draw in the back of a vehicle, or that stupid as poo poo "do you trust me" game. I hope that went out of style in the early 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

A SIGINT marine tasked to gate duty at Lejeune got killed when one of the other gate guards decided to play the trust game with him in the mid 2010s. Which just proves that it doesn’t matter how smart you are sometimes, it matters how dumb the guy pulling the trigger is.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My favorite ND was going into a hanger to see Rumsfeld speak (I was supposed to meet him, and didn't, thankfully. This was the infamous 'HillBilly Armor' event).
A Major walked to the clearing barrel, racks his M9.
Blam!
Racks the slide
Blam!
Racks the slide.
Blam!
'Oh!'
Removes magazine, racks slide.
Click!

No one said a word to him. No one gave a gently caress this dude is a doing a desk pop in visual range of the of the SECDAF.

Summer Break 03 was lit.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Shamelessly taken from the TFF NFL Gameday Thread.

https://twitter.com/WayneDavid81/status/1451998482500362243?s=20

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

lol when she tried to throw it back

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

Grem posted:

All the ND stories bring back memories of idiots offing each other playing loving quick draw in the back of a vehicle, or that stupid as poo poo "do you trust me" game. I hope that went out of style in the early 2000s.

Watching people recreate Star Wars scenes with M9s in the CAST dorms at Dix 2014.

First time through Dix our weapons were constantly cleared and inspected since right before our CAST rotation some Raven managed to ND through a window first thing in the morning which rightfully raised a ton of questions and concerns. Second time through it was a lot more lax since I’m guessing no one had shot up the parking lot recently.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
My friend who is a SNCO and formerly a ranger got tasked with unfucking some outpost in northern Iraq because discipline had broken down so badly under an ineffectual CO, the culmination of which was one guy on gate guard playing quickly draw with an “empty” pistol and NDing into his partner’s dick. Whoops!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

More fodder for the dickbook, I suppose.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVdSDWMFN__/?utm_medium=copy_link

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Jesus christ

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rust-alec-baldwin-ammo-fanny-pack_n_61778378e4b079111a5b90e8

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JFC what a mess.

quote:

Five days before Hutchins was killed, Baldwin’s stunt double accidentally fired two live rounds after being told that the weapon didn’t have any ammunition in it, the newspaper reported, citing two crew members.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think I found a picture of an Army idiot.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Were they out of Camaros that day?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Were they out of Camaros that day?

Your username owns.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Cythereal posted:

This must be ironic or something... Right?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm not really clear. Is this a criminal investigation? Is it normal for this much info to be released?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’m guessing a lot of this is leaks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I’m guessing a lot of this is leaks.

It’s from court documents.

quote:

Three black revolvers and nine spent shell casings also were collected, according to the list filed with the Santa Fe Magistrates Court and released Monday

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm not really clear. Is this a criminal investigation? Is it normal for this much info to be released?

Yeah, there were search warrants served like 2 days ago that first revealed the details about the AD screaming "cold gun" while whipping around the loaded Colt.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Pissed off crew are also more than happy to have long, in-depth talks with TMZ / Deadline/ etc. as a gently caress you to a lovely employer

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No its not normal but this sounds like a very strange case with a ton of red flags that should have been attended to prior to the accidental / negligent death

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Probably a lot of leaks from one side trying to shift blame to another, too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Right now it looks like the AD is probably most culpable, especially since he’s been removed from a previous movie for unsafe firearm handling. But there’s plenty of blame to go around.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I guess what I'm getting at is is there a danger of any potential jury being prejudiced as a result of the amount of info out there

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I guess what I'm getting at is is there a danger of any potential jury being prejudiced as a result of the amount of info out there

I wouldn't be surprised if some or all of these leaks are intended to do just that - generate a narrative that protects important parties by assigning blame to someone expendable

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They found a jury for OJ, the Boston Marathon bomber, and Zacarias Moussaoui. I think they got this.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Right now it looks like the AD is probably most culpable, especially since he’s been removed from a previous movie for unsafe firearm handling. But there’s plenty of blame to go around.

I want to see the actual director take heat for not shutting everything down when it was proved to be unsafe, and in fact using scabs to continue working in face of proven unsafe conditions.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

I want to see the actual director take heat for not shutting everything down when it was proved to be unsafe, and in fact using scabs to continue working in face of proven unsafe conditions.

Unless it was someone like Scorsese or Cameron, then the blame probably should be on the studio who didn’t shut it down. The director doesn’t have a resumé that leads me to believe he was the decision maker in any capacity.

Culpable yes, but culpable like a 12 year old who lets their little brother burn the house down while babysitting.

E: that said, I think one thing that is getting lost here is to :siren:treat every loving firearm like it is loaded until you visually verify that it is not. And even then, keep handling it like it’s loaded and can kill someone. :siren:

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 27, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
While good advice in general, I don't think most actors on movie sets could even tell the difference between a real gun loaded with blank cartridges versus actual bullets, nor should they need to. If an armorer hands Alec Baldwin a gun on a movie set and says it's safe, he should be able to take that to the bank, and I think expecting him to triple check at that point is kind of unreasonable.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cythereal posted:

the most aggressively decorated 73 HP vehicle 30% APR can buy

im the grenade partially obstructing the exhaust

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Imagined posted:

and I think expecting him to triple check at that point is kind of unreasonable.

Please verify the status of every weapon you pick up, even if Jesus Christ himself walked on water to hand it to you and told you that he and the Virgin Mary made sure it was cleared.

Otherwise, guess what might happen?

E: this is especially important if you’re the one who is going to be pulling the trigger.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 27, 2021

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I inspected every single weapon armorers handed me, because they were at least inattentive, hungover, and sleep-deprived.

If you’re not checking a weapon someone handed to you, it’s just the stupid loving “Trust” game in reverse.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Imagined posted:

While good advice in general, I don't think most actors on movie sets could even tell the difference between a real gun loaded with blank cartridges versus actual bullets, nor should they need to. If an armorer hands Alec Baldwin a gun on a movie set and says it's safe, he should be able to take that to the bank, and I think expecting him to triple check at that point is kind of unreasonable.

A. Train actors before you hand them a gun. I had to get trained on how to handle a loving cordless drill for work, they can get trained to handle a gun.

B. Yes, it’s reasonable to expect him to triple check. Someone died.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Imagined posted:

Blanks vs. dummies vs. live ammo is one thing, but, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a person to know that the boom boom stuff goes here.

If you’ve just been handed an instrument of death that’s supposed to be “cold”, that is, have no boom boom stuff in it at all, and you see material where the boom boom stuff goes, that should raise some questions.

We don’t expect people to know much about fixing a car, but they ought to be able to recognize that they shouldn’t be sliding down the road on three tires and sparking rim.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Reminder that actors are idiots. They're brilliant and good looking liars who can remember lines, but they're idiots by and large. Everyone should absolutely get weapons training 100% of the time because of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UELwDUEl1Po

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Well and we should listen to the union guys when they walk off the set because of unsafe conditions.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
There's really no reason in 2021 that they even need to use anything but CGI to make things go bang, anyway.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Imagined posted:

https://theconversation.com/explainer-the-rules-for-shooting-on-film-sets-71797

quote:

Each time a gun is handed to a performer, the armourer must open the weapon’s breach and present it to the performer with verbal confirmation such as, “The weapon is clear”.

When the performer is satisfied that the gun is not loaded they should audibly confirm “Clear”.

When it is returned to the armourer following the take, the same clear verbal confirmation is required.

They don't need to tell the difference between a gun loaded with blanks vs one loaded with live ammo. They don't need to manipulate the gun at all. They are able to tell the difference between a gun loaded with nothing, and a gun loaded with something. Yes, there are different rules on a movie set: "open the action and look into the breech yourself" is changed to "the armorer opens the action so you can look into the breech." But they didn't follow that rule either, and the rule is *not* "take the armorer's word for it." And even if it were, *the armorer didn't hand him the gun," the AD did, and the AD certainly didn't demonstrate the unloaded status of the gun to Baldwin.

The difference between blanks and live rounds is not relevant here. While I acknowledge that sometimes, maybe, on a movie set, while filming, you might have to point a gun at someone and pull the trigger on a blank round, that wasn't the case here, either. They weren't rolling. Baldwin was on-set *practicing his draw*, and while he was practicing he pointed that gun at a crew member, not another actor, and pulled the trigger.

Imagined posted:

There's really no reason in 2021 that they even need to use anything but CGI to make things go bang, anyway.

There is. CGI doesn't duplicate the recoil of the gun or the muzzle flash of the gun and it looks obviously fake. It's like when they CGI a fire instead of just lighting something on fire.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

boop the snoot posted:

Please verify the status of every weapon you pick up, even if Jesus Christ himself walked on water to hand it to you and told you that he and the Virgin Mary made sure it was cleared.

Otherwise, guess what might happen?

E: this is especially important if you’re the one who is going to be pulling the trigger.

Actors get handed dull swords, prop knives, and big bombs with wires and digital clock faces on them. Its bizarre that they are handed actual firearms to perform with and I think that practice has to be changed, rarher than expecting all actors to know wtf they are doing qhnet handling firearms.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Grip it and rip it posted:

Actors get handed dull swords, prop knives, and big bombs with wires and digital clock faces on them. Its bizarre that they are handed actual firearms to perform with and I think that practice has to be changed, rarher than expecting all actors to know wtf they are doing qhnet handling firearms.

I agree 100%. The only reason it's become standard industry practice is that: 1. real guns are cheaper than fake guns because they are mass produced (nobody's making swords en masse) and 2. Before the age of CGI, the most effective way of making a gunshot look real was to use blanks.
Hopefully this is enough to get a frankly risky standard changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
I was an assistant armorer on a microbudget indie film once and it was astonishing - every drat actor either thought guns were hilarious and would point them at others for fun or thought they were terrifying and had to be coached to get comfortable with them and not act like they had dogshit on them.