Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

pokeyman posted:

How does someone come up with an estimate like "seven years"? The article just leaves it there and moves along.

"We figure it will take people a few years to forget, and we know that a few more officers will be outed as rapists sooner rather than later"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

pokeyman posted:

How does someone come up with an estimate like "seven years"? The article just leaves it there and moves along.

Maybe that’s how long he estimates the prison sentence of sexual assaulters will last and they’ll re-enlist once they get out of the clink?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, big cabinet shuffle today. Good loving riddance Garneau.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm sorry my French isn't up to where it should be: how do you say "shut the gently caress up Jean you stupid old man" in French again? Thanks.

With a nice, firm handshake. The kind from Shawinigan.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arc Hammer posted:

The astronaut?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Randalor posted:

"We figure it will take people a few years to forget, and we know that a few more officers will be outed as rapists sooner rather than later"?

Sadly this isnt far from the truth. I only realized it when I mentioned the RCMP going through the same thing years back and people not knowing what I was referencing. Its a rough combination of short term public memory and the media just failing miserably at their jobs to keep stuff like this in the public discourse.

Also I like gives no fucks Charlie Angus, but where the gently caress was he when the NDP was campaigning for the election?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Got turfed from the cabinet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Furnaceface posted:

Also I like gives no fucks Charlie Angus, but where the gently caress was he when the NDP was campaigning for the election?

I think they try to keep him away from the cameras because he'll be seen as too extreme or something :negative:

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

What's wrong with Garneau?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Two thirds of cast votes for ending equalization referendum in Alberta said yes. Idiot province.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm just glad we voted against 9:30AM sunrises in midwinter.

Maybe next time we can include the sane option of "year-round standard time."

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Arc Hammer posted:

Two thirds of cast votes for ending equalization referendum in Alberta said yes. Idiot province.

loving Dunning-Kruger rear end province.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kenney is up in 40 minutes and he's gonna be screaming about Wilkinson being g the new Resources Minister and Guilbeault being Environment Minister. Those two look like a death sentence to Albertan oil prospects.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Sun has gone from publishing columns like “10 reasons O’Toole should stay on” earlier this month to today’s “13 reasons why O’Toole has to go” column (he’s too woke is one of the reasons).

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

I think he'll manage

https://twitter.com/drainvillepm/status/1452804253203025923

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

This doesnt actually do anything though right? Its just basically permission for Kenney to attempt to renegotiate/withdraw/be a petulant whiny baby about the system? Or am I missing something (very possible since I thought Albertans would be smart enough to not gently caress around with equalizations given the impending doom of the oil industry and climate change loving their agriculture).

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Furnaceface posted:

This doesnt actually do anything though right? Its just basically permission for Kenney to attempt to renegotiate/withdraw/be a petulant whiny baby about the system? Or am I missing something (very possible since I thought Albertans would be smart enough to not gently caress around with equalizations given the impending doom of the oil industry and climate change loving their agriculture).
It does absolutely nothing. I think Albertans voted that way to show the rest of Canada that we're sick of not being listened to... the truth being that the rest of Canada listens quite well and thinks our opinions are bullshit.

Also, Kenney, it should be remembered, is the person who wrote the loving equalization formula in present use.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

https://thenarwhal.ca/meet-environmentalist-running-federal-liberals-fall/

Two year old article on Guilbeault.

Interesting choice he's minister now, he was a major opponent to Trans-Mountain, co-founded Équiterre and was active in Greenpeace for years and years. Hopefully it shows a switch to not giving a gently caress about the prairies screaming about oil. Hopefully.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Arc Hammer posted:

lol Alberta. Wait—

"CBC News posted:

On daylight saving time, 50.1% were opposed and 49.9% in favour

god drat it you loving bastards I hate you so much

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

PT6A posted:

I'm not - BC is waiting on you guys to ditch clock changing :<. Way to ruin it for everyone!

And more daylight in the evening is better anyway!

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

lol Alberta. Wait—

god drat it you loving bastards I hate you so much

I saw that one meme circulating on social media that went "MDT DOESN'T WORK FOR ALBERTA'S LONGITUDINAL POSITION," so I guess that did what it was supposed to do

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

fartman posted:

I saw that one meme circulating on social media that went "MDT DOESN'T WORK FOR ALBERTA'S LONGITUDINAL POSITION," so I guess that did what it was supposed to do

I know, I know MST makes more sense, but we're not going to get anywhere if we don't start somewhere. :sigh:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

PT6A posted:

Rather have 9:30 to 530 than 830 to 430.
You're waking up in the dark anyway, I don't need light when I work, I need it when I go home.
10:30 to 630 would be even better.

Standard time people love to talk about how the sun should peak at noon as if noon was actually midday for the western world. People work 9 to 5 and live after work. Sun should be at its peak at 3 or 4 PM not noon.

And all the sleep arguments are garbage in Canada. If you have 8 hours of daylight in winter and 18 in summer you're going to have hosed up circadian rhythms no matter what.

Now Albertans have hosed it up for everyone else who are in some weird "you go first" standoff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea pitch darkness at 4 is bullshit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

considering how pointless the equalization referendum was, why don't we just have one asking for 16 hours of sunlight every day of the year.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

BC originally said it will wait for Washington, Oregon, and California, not Alberta. The last update was that the switch to permanent DST was on hold until after the pandemic.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I mean, sure permanent standard time has been recommended by pretty much everyone who's actually studied the effects of DST on things like sleep, safety, etc. but I guess a general preference for evening light overrides expert opinion.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I just remembered that Charlie Angus was part of that international committee that was going to interview Zuckerberg a few years back until the guy decided to no-show and send some PR person instead. Wonder how much he would love to have that opportunity after the stuff coming out about Facebook today.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Bring back local noon, gently caress all schedules, timezones were a mistake.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

Furnaceface posted:

(…) I thought Albertans would be smart enough to not gently caress around with equalizations given the impending doom of the oil industry and climate change loving their agriculture

According to my dad in Alberta, “everybody” out there working in the oil and gas industry “knows” that oil is here forever and Alberta is always going to be the richest most importantist province, even though Trudeau is loving everything up for them and that’s why Russia is building pipelines for all of Europe with China’s money and it should have been us building it all! And then an incoherent rant about recycling plastic, covid, and immigrants. Not sure if his opinions reflect the majority, but I’d be surprised if the average Albertan thinks the oil industry is going anywhere. Climate change seems like it should be an easier sell out there, with the +40 summers and -40 winters, but :shrug:

Also I wish everyone would just pick a timezone and stick with it. It’s the switch twice per year that gets you.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Furnaceface posted:

In theory, a provincial referendum can require Federal consideration and response, but that's it. From a panel discussion I watched once, the consensus was that this Alberta equalization payments referendum didn't even meet that bar, though I remember seeing that Trudeau was gonna respond anyway.

Another Dirty Dish posted:

According to my dad in Alberta, “everybody” out there working in the oil and gas industry “knows” that oil is here forever and Alberta is always going to be the richest most importantist province, even though Trudeau is loving everything up for them and that’s why Russia is building pipelines for all of Europe with China’s money and it should have been us building it all! And then an incoherent rant about recycling plastic, covid, and immigrants. Not sure if his opinions reflect the majority, but I’d be surprised if the average Albertan thinks the oil industry is going anywhere. Climate change seems like it should be an easier sell out there, with the +40 summers and -40 winters, but :shrug:

Same with my dad except he saw the oil industry downturn coming a mile away and got out. Still blames the usual suspects, interestingly, but acknowledges it's not coming back. At least not in a timeframe that's relevant to his working life.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Albino Squirrel posted:

It does absolutely nothing. I think Albertans voted that way to show the rest of Canada that we're sick of not being listened to... the truth being that the rest of Canada listens quite well and thinks our opinions are bullshit.

Also, Kenney, it should be remembered, is the person who wrote the loving equalization formula in present use.

It should be remembered that Kenney, who has been an MP since 1997 (at 29) and was previously with various “taxpayer” federations, didn’t write anything. Nor has he likely ever produced anything on his own. He was part of the government that produced it though. I’m sure he understood it after someone explained it in simple words to him.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Time isn't real

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Time is space and how many of you have gone up to space before hmmm

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Having grown up in Yellowknife sunlight complaints remain hilarious to me.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Alctel posted:

I'm not - BC is waiting on you guys to ditch clock changing :<. Way to ruin it for everyone!

And more daylight in the evening is better anyway!

On behalf of morning people everywhere eat my rear end standard time rules.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

PT6A posted:

I mean, sure permanent standard time has been recommended by pretty much everyone who's actually studied the effects of DST on things like sleep, safety, etc. but I guess a general preference for evening light overrides expert opinion.

I don't care which one they choose as long as we stop goddang changing twice per year.

BC is in this stupid waiting game with Washington and Oregon (and California?) and then Ontario has the same thing with Quebec and New York.
Someone's got to make the first move here.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Changing time twice a year owns

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ColdBlooded posted:

Changing time twice a year owns

The change sucks, but the fact that a lot of people are basically evenly divided between "standard time is better" and "daylight savings time is better" explains why we do it! You end up with half the people shrieking about sunlight at 4am in summer, and the other half shrieking about the sun rising near 10AM in winter, and the natural solution is to.... change the clocks to avoid both of those situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

We could also change business hours twice a year. Work from 9-5 one half of the year and 8-4 the other half.