Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One hopes that with Mat's influence and the pressure of having to recapture her empire she re-thinks some things.

End of the day the Seanchan are at a massive tactical disadvantage vis-a-vis other channeling populations, for a number of reasons, not least of them the lack of the ability to form large-scale circles.

The implication in that alternate timeline seems to be that basically all our protagonists have died off, and relatively early.

The Dragon's Peace seems a lot more stable after Aviendha messes with it and the Aiel aren't just left alone to have their own blood feuds fester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Egwene isn’t Ta’veren, she just benefits from and is caught in the pull of the most powerful Ta’veren… Bella.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bela's taverened a spear :(

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Bela's taverened a spear :(

I swear to God they can gently caress up Fain and Hopper and Uno but if they gently caress up Bela it'll be a real GoT move. That's an entire audience of horse people they'll piss off, who are all a little weird so will either buy the Funko pops and Subway advertisement sandwiches or roast the show endlessly on forums.somethinghands.com.

Bela and Hurin. I really liked Hurin and he had to go get killed off screen with Bashere. I want someone in the show with unquenchable enthusiasm and an unflappable belief that Lord Rand will save the day. Poor Hurin.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

How are u posted:

This is a very derivative exaggeration. Jordan's books are fantastic all the way through, and Sanderson does a fairly ok job of wrapping them up.

PoD and CoT are just plain bad, my guy

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Rarity posted:

PoD and CoT are just plain bad, my guy

I disagree

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's cool that we can recognise a wide range of opinions on this :)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I think they're ok, but those 2 and winters heart have the most obvious plotlines to cut down in the TV show. They all have good moments, but they spend far too long on the Faile kidnapping plotline and Elaynes dumbass political machinations. On the other hand, Matt, Rand, Egwene, and Nyneave all tend to have really good plots in those books.

In conclusion, the slog is a quagmire of contrasts

It would be awesome to cut down on the bad plots and flesh out the Black Tower during those seasons

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 27, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

The Glumslinger posted:

I think they're ok, but those 2 and winters heart have the most obvious plotlines to cut down in the TV show. They all have good moments, but they spend far too long on the Faile kidnapping plotline and Elaynes dumbass political machinations. On the other hand, Matt, Rand, Egwene, and Nyneave all tend to have really good plots in those books.

In conclusion, the slog is a quagmire of contrasts

It would be awesome to cut down on the bad plots and flesh out the Black Tower during those seasons

OTOH having the Black Tower being a black box of mystery works really well (and Brandon Sanderson lifting the veil on that mystery, conversely, did not). And you're not going to get people agreeing on what the "bad plots" are.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Path of Daggers has some fun stuff. Salidar politics is pretty good as things go. Rand's part feels the weakest there since so much of it is just this stalemate with the Seanchan.

I honest to god can't remember a single defining feature of Crossroads of Twilight though. In rereads I've usually just skipped the book because nothing happens and you can pick up from Knife of Dreams without really missing anything.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Torrannor posted:

The series gets better with time, though there's a bit of a slog in some of the "middle books", with the worst offender being book 10. Book 11 immediately picks up pace a lot, and books 12, 13 and 14 are the split apart final book, and even in 3k pages there's so much going on that some storylines are still noticeably truncated.

Please keep in mind that this is the WoT spoiler thread, and so there will be unmarked spoilers for basically the entire series here.

Okay, thanks! I'll try to remember in a couple of months when I'm on book 9 that it's gonna get slower but then get better. And since I've got my answer and this is the spoiler thread, I'm gonna GTFO. Thanks everyone!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

OTOH having the Black Tower being a black box of mystery works really well

I remember screaming at Rand the whole time that he should probably go check on Taim and the Black Tower

I think RJ did it on purpose

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Crossroads of Twilight would make a really solid episode

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jose Valasquez posted:

Crossroads of Twilight would make a really solid cliffhanger

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I was bustling in here to say that

Dropping the series all at once for a binge watch would be the biggest departure possible from the book experience

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I forget if it was ITT or the TV IV thread but I'm glad Amazon is only putting out the first 3 episodes before switching to a weekly release format, just because it makes discussing the show so much easier / better when everyone's on the same proverbial page.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also shows that drop all at once pass out of the cultural consciousness so fast that they become way more forgettable. Week-by-week is the way to go if they want WoT to be huge

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

crossroads of twilight had some really solid mat chapters

and then there was everything else

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Hexel posted:

I remember screaming at Rand the whole time that he should probably go check on Taim and the Black Tower

I agree with the consideration that after a certain point (pretty much immediately) it became too dangerous for him and had to be trusted to take care of itself.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hexel posted:

That's ultimately the point of "Let the Lord of Chaos rule." By presenting Rand with so many problems and threats at the same time, he's not going to be able to focus on all of them. So yeah, he manages to dig the Forsaken out of Illien, but at the cost of losing track of what's happening at the Black Tower. He cleanses the Taint on Saidin, but while he's doing that, the Seanchan grab the entire western coast of his continent save Arad Doman. Etc, etc, etc.

It's made worse by the fact that he doesn't believe he can trust most of his allies so he feels the need to do everything himself, and he can't cover everything so things keep slipping away from him. And about the only allies he does trust unequivocally, Mat and Perrin, get bogged down in Ebou Dar and chasing the Shaido respectively, and aren't there to take some of the burden off him. Plus his whole "never trust an Aes Sedai" cuts him off from the rest of his natural allies in Egwene, Nynaeve, and Elayne.

And hell, it very nearly works. They ran Rand to the ragged edge and he only kept from falling completely to darkness himself by the narrowest of margins.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

https://twitter.com/thewheeloftime/status/1453390849354579969?s=21

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I know it's the no spoilers thread, but in case people don't want to watch the trailer I'm gonna spoil this bit.

Did they just leave out a bit of the oaths? With subtitles on they ended the sentence before the part about using the one power as weapon "except against shadowspawn or in defense of her own or her warder's life". Pretty big thing to leave out since now the Green Ajah has no purpose.

Though I do like that "It's one of you five" for who could be the Dragon. Definitely a switch up from the books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

seaborgium posted:

I know it's the no spoilers thread, but in case people don't want to watch the trailer I'm gonna spoil this bit.

Did they just leave out a bit of the oaths? With subtitles on they ended the sentence before the part about using the one power as weapon "except against shadowspawn or in defense of her own or her warder's life". Pretty big thing to leave out since now the Green Ajah has no purpose.

Though I do like that "It's one of you five" for who could be the Dragon. Definitely a switch up from the books.

Presumably the rest of the oath is still in the show just not the trailer.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Is it just me or do the trailers keep getting better?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

th3t00t posted:

Is it just me or do the trailers keep getting better?

That is how you want to do it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hell yeah Nynaeve gets to be a special girl too

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Trollocs look gross (good) and the whitecloaks get to actually kill an Aes sedai

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

That's my assumption as well, all of the rule lawyery bits on the oaths would detract from the pace of the trailer

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that aiel in the snow on dragonmount got me hyped, did not expect to see that here

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Democratic Pirate posted:

Trollocs look gross (good) and the whitecloaks get to actually kill an Aes sedai

I just figured it was a random, they're not known for really caring about who they burn at the stake. If you want to set them up as evil that's the way to do it.

Probably, but it just seemed odd to me.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

seaborgium posted:

I just figured it was a random, they're not known for really caring about who they burn at the stake. If you want to set them up as evil that's the way to do it.

Probably, but it just seemed odd to me.

“You’re carrying herbs and wearing yellow, a known color of the witches, and are therefore sentenced to death” is a hell of villain intro hook, I agree.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

eke out posted:

that aiel in the snow on dragonmount got me hyped, did not expect to see that here

For reals they looked dope AF and this means a Battle of the Shining Walls flashback, so stoked

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

seaborgium posted:

I'm watching through this now but IGN also dropped a trailer walkthrough with Rafe, and he explicitly mentions the part that you're asking about, so it looks like they just cut it off in the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjq7iHhuTG0

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

eke out posted:

Yeah, I was just about to comment on that. Looked sweet.

seaborgium posted:

Democratic Pirate posted:

“You’re carrying herbs and wearing yellow, a known color of the witches, and are therefore sentenced to death” is a hell of villain intro hook, I agree.

While that is possible, if you want to make the Whitecloaks a legitimate threat beside just being evil, then having them able to capture and execute a legit Aes Sedai is also the way to do it.

e: For that matter, we see Valda adding the Aes Sedai's ring to a collection of such rings he's got on his belt, so yeah, that's a real Aes Sedai and not the first he's killed.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 27, 2021

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

In the trailer walkthrough the showrunner uses "corruption" instead of "taint" -- show ruined

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Who's that dude in the white royal-looking clothes with the silver goblet?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Data Graham posted:

eamon valda i think

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Data Graham posted:

I would assume Lord Captain Commander of the Children of the Light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chomposaur posted:

I'm watching through this now but IGN also dropped a trailer walkthrough with Rafe, and he explicitly mentions the part that you're asking about, so it looks like they just cut it off in the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjq7iHhuTG0

rafe, talking about that aiel scene, says that they're doing the prologues/flashbacks/flash forwards to show things happening apart from the main characters, which is really exciting

i was worried they'd somehow do a GOT style "no flashbacks, everything through our characters eyes" and you'd miss so much cool poo poo if you did it that way