Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Foo Diddley posted:

this guy might have played it: https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com

he played a similar DOS game that i could never remember the name of. just go to "games played by year" and start in the '80s somewhere

Wow a ton of poo poo came out of uiuc back then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ccs posted:

The Moderna furry keeps posting this thread every week or so. Has anyone picked apart this study? Seems to contradict the idea that titers need to be continually maxed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1453357379626668037

Didn’t we already figure out this is an op account by Moderna’s marketing team and not an actual doctor

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

mastershakeman posted:

Wow a ton of poo poo came out of uiuc back then

yeah, the plato system

i was kind of surprised to learn that the first RPGs were all multiplayer. i really thought MMOs came after single-player RPGs

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ccs posted:

The Moderna furry keeps posting this thread every week or so. Has anyone picked apart this study? Seems to contradict the idea that titers need to be continually maxed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1453357379626668037

Seems obviously bullshit, I dunno, maybe it's the two unrelated breakthroughs among the six total employees at my workplace in the past week or the substantial representation of fully vaxxed people in the daily stats for infected and hospitalised. :shrug:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
going to see if i can go get a moderna booster around me, or if they'll be sticklers bc i'm in novavax. even with novavax filing for EUA in europe today, my guess is that the heterologous boost is going to be a benefit

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1453489593668366339

https://twitter.com/farid__jalali/status/1453492858632081410

https://twitter.com/farid__jalali/status/1453493866825334788

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

by this logic wouldn't taking MDMA / ecstasy be a good idea early in infection? IIRC it basically wipes out all your serotonin after the trip (and why people crash hard after a night of intense euphoria)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Hoo boy. Now that's something to be really concerned about.

Imagine normal people just overdosing themselves daily on SSRI nationally wide

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Foo Diddley posted:

this guy might have played it: https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com

he played a similar DOS game that i could never remember the name of. just go to "games played by year" and start in the '80s somewhere

Tks! I'm interested to see if it's on there!

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
Buddy, I have so little serotonin it's a problem. Don't have much dopamine bouncing around there either. Gotta lick elevator buttons at the hospital just to feel alive

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

facetoucher cat posted:

Buddy, I have so little serotonin it's a problem. Don't have much dopamine bouncing around there either. Gotta lick elevator buttons at the hospital just to feel alive

lol would make a great sci fi plot that a virus wipes out everyone on the planet except clinically depressed people who are chronically low on serotonin. the survivors have to begrudgingly repopulate the world, which they hate.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mod sassinator posted:

lol would make a great sci fi plot that a virus wipes out everyone on the planet except clinically depressed people who are chronically low on serotonin. the survivors have to begrudgingly repopulate the world, which they hate.

Also their libido is shot and they have to do it for hours.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
the bleak shall inherit the earth

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

mod sassinator posted:

my entire life has prepared me for this moment

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the schwarma joke is superfluous, it makes the hibachi kind of a hat on a hat

:hai:

but it did make me want to get a schwarma so i guess it succeeded there?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

I like this

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/renzpolster/status/1453299718432374784?s=21

lol

lmao

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

yeah i don't think we have a new delta or other variant growing. it's that kids went back to schools, cases grew, people noticed growing cases and went woahhhh there dial it back... and now a couple weeks later people think it's over and are going back out to eat and take risks again. weather has been crap for over a week too and i noticed restaurants were packed saturday night while walking around

I do wonder how much child vaccines might help blunt the winter surge, if at all. Some studies have shown school age kids are a big cause of asymptomatic spread, and then eventually symptomatic household spread. Curious what areas with high child vaccine uptake + universal masking will look like this winter. My son's private high school in Connecticut mandated mRNA vaccines for every student and universal masking. A large majority of kids are boarding students and so far they haven't had any cases. We're homeschooling my youngest until she can be vaccinated at minimum.

I don't know what the hell is going on in Connecticut. Mask compliance sucks, all of my neighbors are acting like COVID is over with kids running around unmasked playing together, hundreds of kids are unmasking at lunch in school, 70 kids to a school bus, doing 'modified' quarantines in schools, etc but CT's rates have been some of the lowest in the country. It doesn't make sense.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
ugh unless it changes the school mask mandate will go away in my kids school district 60 days after 5-11 can get shots. makes no sense

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

sonatinas posted:

ugh unless it changes the school mask mandate will go away in my kids school district 60 days after 5-11 can get shots. makes no sense

so they'll stop making school kids wear masks once the school kids can get vaccinated? that does make sense, doesn't it? what am i missing :psyduck:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

So I'm a bit confused about this. Like I thought the current understanding of what causes Long COVID is the fact the virus is able to cause significant organ damage or clotting before the body is able to defeat the infection. If that was truly the cause of Long COVID, then wouldn't it logically follow as necessary that vaccinated individuals - at least those recently vaccinated with big titers - should have much lower rates of Long COVID since their big heaving titers are able to beat back the infection before it's able to cause said damage? Like I thought the same mechanisms that make it effective at preventing hospitalization and death would logically also make it effective ad preventing Long COVID. Still not to the point where any sane person would want to risk it, but yeah, still also to the point where you'd expect to see a statistical difference in studies like this.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I'm a bit confused about this. Like I thought the current understanding of what causes Long COVID is the fact the virus is able to cause significant organ damage or clotting before the body is able to defeat the infection. If that was truly the cause of Long COVID, then wouldn't it logically follow as necessary that vaccinated individuals - at least those recently vaccinated with big titers - should have much lower rates of Long COVID since their big heaving titers are able to beat back the infection before it's able to cause said damage? Like I thought the same mechanisms that make it effective at preventing hospitalization and death would logically also make it effective ad preventing Long COVID. Still not to the point where any sane person would want to risk it, but yeah, still also to the point where you'd expect to see a statistical difference in studies like this.

If your titers fought it off you never would've been a case

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

These are breakthrough infections. So it doesnt compare the relative rates of vaxed vs not. Thie paper is once infected vaxed and unvaxed does vaxed do better and the answer is sorta.

Yes vax people are going to be infected less but keep in mind we know that if antibodies wane you have very little protection against infection over someone who is unvaxed. This shows how even mild infection can be dangerous to those infected.

mystes
May 31, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Who knows. We don't really have a consensus on what causes long covid in the first place.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

McNugget Buddy posted:

Didn’t we already figure out this is an op account by Moderna’s marketing team and not an actual doctor

I'm pretty sure Chise is a real person. They're guest of honor at an upcoming furry con.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

If you click through to the PDF, their data shows vaccines protected against respiratory failure, hypercoagulopathy and death at higher rates than in the unvaccinated:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.10.26.21265508v1.full.pdf+html

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Foo Diddley posted:

so they'll stop making school kids wear masks once the school kids can get vaccinated? that does make sense, doesn't it? what am i missing :psyduck:

looking at the data of cohorts already vaxed, 5-11 will be the lowest percentage of eligible groups since the trend is downward, so regardless of percentage of kids not vaxed they will drop the mandate ,it’s a repeat of what happened earlier this year with everyone else

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

long covid could be be autoimmune.

Development of ACE2 autoantibodies after SARS-CoV-2 infection
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0257016

"Conclusions

Many patients with a history of SARS-CoV-2 infection have antibodies specific for ACE2. Patients with ACE2 antibodies have lower activity of soluble ACE2 in plasma. Plasma from these patients also inhibits exogenous ACE2 activity. These findings are consistent with the hypothesis that ACE2 antibodies develop after SARS-CoV-2 infection and decrease ACE2 activity. This could lead to an increase in the abundance of Ang II, which causes a proinflammatory state that triggers symptoms of Post-Acute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC)."

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Foo Diddley posted:

you’re trading all kids wearing masks for some kids being vaccinated

i don’t know the math on how much protection mask mandates buy you but i bet it’s more than a partially vaccinated population

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

. it's that kids went back to schools, cases grew, people noticed growing cases and went woahhhh there dial it back...

schools have been remarkably tame for spread. out here there have been 70 cases total (of which 9 are in school spread) in the district for 8000+ kids and staff in two months. basically a quarter of a percent of the in school population catches it a week, somewhere else. I had thought delta and different NPIs was going to make that worse. but it’s remarkably similar to last year and og covid.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

mod sassinator posted:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

sonatinas posted:

looking at the data of cohorts already vaxed, 5-11 will be the lowest percentage of eligible groups since the trend is downward, so regardless of percentage of kids not vaxed they will drop the mandate ,it’s a repeat of what happened earlier this year with everyone else

Dren posted:

you’re trading all kids wearing masks for some kids being vaccinated

i don’t know the math on how much protection mask mandates buy you but i bet it’s more than a partially vaccinated population

ahhh yeah, okay. stupid me, i thought it meant all the kids would be vaccinated

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Rauros posted:

long covid could be be autoimmune.

Development of ACE2 autoantibodies after SARS-CoV-2 infection
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0257016

"Conclusions

Many patients with a history of SARS-CoV-2 infection have antibodies specific for ACE2. Patients with ACE2 antibodies have lower activity of soluble ACE2 in plasma. Plasma from these patients also inhibits exogenous ACE2 activity. These findings are consistent with the hypothesis that ACE2 antibodies develop after SARS-CoV-2 infection and decrease ACE2 activity. This could lead to an increase in the abundance of Ang II, which causes a proinflammatory state that triggers symptoms of Post-Acute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC)."

Yeah I thought this article explains it pretty clearly.

https://www.dicardiology.com/content/covid-long-hauler-symptoms-may-be-caused-antibody-attacks-ace2

Hope they’re already working on the drugs to treat it. I’m almost completely recovered from my breakthrough infection but don’t want to wake up in a month with long covid...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mdemone posted:

Great news! My school has not had a single county-reported case of Covid since opening in September! Of course, around 20% of my students have missed more than a week of class already, and two teachers have been hospitalized.

*taps head*

Won't have any Covid cases if we stop counting them

The official Vic government case alerts site now has a warning label saying "Not all exposure sites are published online" which is a bit of an understatement since they're only showing 4 covid exposure sites over the last 14 days for the entirety of the Greater Melbourne area, even though we're getting about 2000 new infections reported every day:

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Spoondick posted:

covid with pneumonia coinfection seem common since pneumonia is an opportunistic bacteria, I could only see it helping, and the eligibility criteria for pneumonia vaccines was recently expanded to include younger people with risk factors

Yeah, purely anecdotal data: my boyfriend has/had covid that immediately transitioned into bacterial pneumonia, and it’s worth noting that he’s never had the pneumonia vax. I had the pneumonia vax series a couple of years ago and did not get post-covid pneumonia. :shrug: Obviously there are lots of other variables at play, but I’m guessing getting the pneumonia vax can only help.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bar Ran Dun posted:

schools have been remarkably tame for spread. out here there have been 70 cases total (of which 9 are in school spread) in the district for 8000+ kids and staff in two months. basically a quarter of a percent of the in school population catches it a week, somewhere else. I had thought delta and different NPIs was going to make that worse. but it’s remarkably similar to last year and og covid.

At least for our district, we're having lower spread this fall than last spring. Super vaccinated area that got vaxxed pretty late I think so that's probably the big difference; less parents having it

We're even testing all kids this fall and weren't in the spring

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mod sassinator posted:

omg stop doomposting :rolleyes:

i literally cannot take a joke and will take this seriously

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

omg stop doomposting :rolleyes:

i literally cannot take a joke and will take this seriously

right?????a??

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

silicone thrills posted:

Light rail safety

One more week to more titers

Goddamn secureclicks are huge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m really loving bitter that my choices right now are to continue taking taltz and go out as little as possible while getting boosted every six months because millions of people would rather see me dead than wear a loving mask

or

stop taking taltz and have everyone treat me like a leper because I look like the polka dot man.