Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

What I am really struggling with here is why there was live ammo on the set in the first place. Blanks, I get. Dummies, I get. But why the christ was something with a bullet in it necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mr. Nice! posted:

Reminder that actors are idiots. They're brilliant and good looking liars who can remember lines, but they're idiots by and large. Everyone should absolutely get weapons training 100% of the time because of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UELwDUEl1Po

Hmmm you claim actors are good looking yet Paul Giamatti has a career, hypocrisy much?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Fearless posted:

What I am really struggling with here is why there was live ammo on the set in the first place. Blanks, I get. Dummies, I get. But why the christ was something with a bullet in it necessary?

I think that's really the biggest thing. Movie people gonna movie, but as soon as there was any hint of actual put holes in things ammunition on set, that set should've been closed down and stripped to find any more.

But apparently there were stray rounds just lying around, so good go, I guess.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Fearless posted:

It wasn't. Crew members were apparently going plinking in between takes and there was live ammo just floating around uncontrolled on set.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Fearless posted:

Reportedly the crew was target shooting between setups / after hours with the functional prop guns, or what they were calling "plinking". Real ammo was found in several locations around set.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

not caring here posted:

But apparently there were stray rounds just lying around, so good go, I guess.

They were used by the armorer to target shoot between takes, op.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

Hmmm you claim actors are good looking yet Paul Giamatti has a career, hypocrisy much?

How DARE you insult this beautiful man.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Prop guns can be safe, but you have to enable the Subject Matter Experts, the armorers and the union guys, to be able to voice their concerns. If you fail to listen people get hurt and/or die.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I wonder if it's worth arguing about how the media is erroneously using the term "prop gun" (which typically describes an inert, gun-shaped object like a blue gun) when what they mean is a live firearm that was [supposed to be] loaded with blanks, and muddying the waters really badly in the process. I'm probably the idiot for wondering that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dick Burglar posted:

I wonder if it's worth arguing about how the media is erroneously using the term "prop gun" (which typically describes an inert, gun-shaped object like a blue gun) when what they mean is a live firearm that was [supposed to be] loaded with blanks, and muddying the waters really badly in the process. I'm probably the idiot for wondering that.

I mean, if its shaped like a firearm, going to be used in place of a firearm, it should be treated as one from a safety perspective. I'm not an armorer, but that's how I would do so.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, if its shaped like a firearm, going to be used in place of a firearm, it should be treated as one from a safety perspective. I'm not an armorer, but that's how I would do so.

:hmmyes:

In addition, even if you take the stance that Baldwin isn’t knowledgeable enough to be trained to safety check a firearm that’s in his hands, then he still violated all four rules of firearms by pointing the loving thing at his DP and Director and pulling the trigger. The Swiss cheese model of this event is more hole than cheese.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

How DARE you insult this beautiful man.

Rob Schneidly?

It was an SNL skit

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Reportedly the crew was target shooting between setups / after hours with the functional prop guns, or what they were calling "plinking". Real ammo was found in several locations around set.

:stare:

I think we just found the fall guys for this one.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Man I just really resist any take on this which even hints at any blame for the actor. If there's any blame for Baldwin in this, I'm inclined to assign it to his role as a producer on this film.

Especially as someone who tries to portray himself as a spokesperson for the left, when his money was on the line he sided against the workers and against the unions, and someone died as a direct result of that chain of decisions.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 27, 2021

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah I’ve had to explain this to a few people. Alec Baldwin the actor is largely blameless*, Alec Baldwin the producer should be brought up on loving manslaughter charges.

*This is assuming they were getting a shot where he points the gun at the camera as he pulls the trigger. It gets super grey area if he was just loving around with it between takes. Then again, same dude, so throw the loving book at him.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Way back when I used to read right wing blogs in the mid-2000s they were doing dumb poo poo like trying to smear David Arquette for being pro gun control because he was in movies like Scream where his character carried a gun. They’ll grasp at any straw they can.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Imagined posted:

Especially as someone who tries to portray himself as a spokesperson for the left, when his money was on the line he sided against the workers and against the unions, and someone died as a direct result of that chain of decisions.

He portrays himself as a spokesman for the Democratic Party, not "the left." In that sense, he perfectly represented the Democratic Party's obsequiousness to the owning class and utter disdain for workers' rights. Totally on-brand.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Yeah I’ve had to explain this to a few people. Alec Baldwin the actor is largely blameless*, Alec Baldwin the producer should be brought up on loving manslaughter charges.

*This is assuming they were getting a shot where he points the gun at the camera as he pulls the trigger. It gets super grey area if he was just loving around with it between takes. Then again, same dude, so throw the loving book at him.

He was loving around between takes. They weren't filming. There's no grey here. He ignored standard rules and procedures (which, as an experienced actor and a producer he is damned well familiar with), pointed a gun at a human being, and pulled the trigger. Alec Baldwin the actor did that.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Phanatic posted:

He was loving around between takes. They weren't filming. There's no grey here. He ignored standard rules and procedures (which, as an experienced actor and a producer he is damned well familiar with), pointed a gun at a human being, and pulled the trigger. Alec Baldwin the actor did that.

He was rehearsing for the take. He was supposed to pull the gun out and point it at the camera. That's why the director and the cinematographer were behind the camera: they wanted to make sure he nailed the shot the first time.

and he did

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vengarr posted:

and he did

Oh my!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You don't want actors loving with guns. Just like they aren't handed real straight razors. The last thing you want is someone ignorant loving around with guns. Most NDs happen during administrative handling- checking, clearing, etc- not actually shooting.

There is plenty of blame to go around, but actors are not a part of the safety system. Nor should they be- they aren't qualified, which is why there is supposed to be a system with multiple checks BEFORE an actor comes close to it.

This was a gently caress upped poo poo show.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Seems like most of the arguments are how to apportion blame between actor Alec Baldwin for how he handled the weapon and producer Alec Baldwin for how he ran the movie.
In conclusion Alec Baldwin is a land of contrasts.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

You don't want actors loving with guns. Just like they aren't handed real straight razors. The last thing you want is someone ignorant loving around with guns. Most NDs happen during administrative handling- checking, clearing, etc- not actually shooting.

There is plenty of blame to go around, but actors are not a part of the safety system. Nor should they be- they aren't qualified, which is why there is supposed to be a system with multiple checks BEFORE an actor comes close to it.

This was a gently caress upped poo poo show.

Actors routinely learn other skills so that they can use them while they act. They learn to sing, dance, ride horses, ride motorcycles, drive cars, play musical instruments, and occasionally fly helicopters so they can do their own aerial stunts.

If you're going to hand an actor a real gun is it not out of the question that they learn how to handle it safely. They don't all need to be Keanu doing three-gun, but they can absolutely and should absolutely learn to clear a damned gun. Failing that, it's completely reasonable that when an AD hands them a gun, instead of an armorer, and says "it's clear" without physically showing them that it's clear, then they know enough to speak up and say "show me, don't just tell me." Especially when you're on a film set that had two NDs in the days just prior and where crew have walked off the set in protest at lax safety standards.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 27, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Actors routinely learn other skills so that they can use them while they act. They learn to sing, dance, ride horses, ride motorcycles, drive cars, play musical instruments, and occasionally fly helicopters so they can do their own aerial stunts.

If you're going to hand an actor a real gun is it not out of the question that they learn how to handle it safely. They don't all need to be Keanu doing three-gun, but they can absolutely and should absolutely learn to clear a damned gun. Failing that, it's completely reasonable that when an AD hands them a gun, instead of an armorer, and says "it's clear" without physically showing them that it's clear, then they know enough to speak up and say "show me, don't just tell me." Especially when you're on a film set that had two NDs in the days just prior and where crew have walked off the set in protest at lax safety standards.

Yeah I agree with this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dick Burglar posted:

I understand that “prop gun” is a term of art and these things straight out of the Uberti factory (or wherever) are very real guns, but more generally, a prop is any object used on screen or on stage.

A telephone or a pill bottle or a cane becomes a prop when it is brought to the the production with the intent that it will be seen by the audience. There is not necessarily any physical difference between these items and any others of their class found on the street.

Weapons are weird and the exception.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Phanatic posted:

Simply point the gun at the AD and pull the trigger, to check if it is truly clear.

The Darwinian school of gun safety.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

MrYenko posted:

:hmmyes:

In addition, even if you take the stance that Baldwin isn’t knowledgeable enough to be trained to safety check a firearm that’s in his hands, then he still violated all four rules of firearms by pointing the loving thing at his DP and Director and pulling the trigger. The Swiss cheese model of this event is more hole than cheese.

Hes an actor rehearing a role - those rulea dont apply in Hollywood productions

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:yeshaha:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh gently caress lol :five:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
good god

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Holy gently caress :laffo:

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Same as everyone else but holy poo poo after a double take this is a supreme post.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

OHH MADONE

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

:blastu:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

:pusheen:

Adbot