Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Motronic posted:

Get a wider push mower and a mask. There's no real trick here.....it's gonna suck, but that's how it goes.

Oh wait.....there is a trick now.....one of the Husqvarna robot mowers. They look pretty awesome.

And longer term, get in touch with your county ag extension and figure out appropriate natives you can plant there that will be maintenance free.

Those robots look amazing, gently caress mowing the lawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I've seen companies hire a dude who brings in a couple dozen goats to clear a grassy lot.

No poo poo: https://www.rentagoat.com

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The goat thing keeps coming back to this thread.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I've seen companies hire a dude who brings in a couple dozen goats to clear a grassy lot.

It's super cool, but there are specific applications and this isn't one of them.

It's also not exactly cheap, since you have to fence the whole place in and transport the animals. It's best for places you can't effectively mow like slopes or clearing brush under trees/clearing saplings.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

Get a wider push mower and a mask. There's no real trick here.....it's gonna suck, but that's how it goes.

Oh wait.....there is a trick now.....one of the Husqvarna robot mowers. They look pretty awesome.

And longer term, get in touch with your county ag extension and figure out appropriate natives you can plant there that will be maintenance free.

I've got no problem with the size of the mower, to be honest; if there's not much concern about the constant dust kicking up into it and damaging it, then that's what I'll do. Thanks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Steve French posted:

I've got no problem with the size of the mower, to be honest; if there's not much concern about the constant dust kicking up into it and damaging it, then that's what I'll do. Thanks.

Just keep on top of the air filter. Clean/replace regularly and it should be just fine.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

eddiewalker posted:

The goat thing keeps coming back to this thread.

Sorry :(

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

dont be

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

No poo poo: https://www.rentagoat.com

related:

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1452677297488728064?s=20

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

nothings broken so i take your point. i just love it and want it to eventually envelop my bones.

It will, but it probably won't wait for you to be dead. So, the major thing you need to know is when to prune. Wisteria blooms on old (the previous year's) wood. If you prune severely in the fall, you'll get few blooms in the spring. Keep pruning throughout its growing cycle in the summer, binding some of the new stems down to where you want blossoms next year. As long as you leave lots of this year's sprouts, you'll have blooms the next year.

Why am I emphasizing pruning? Because I have seen sheds covered with old wisteria vines that have collapsed under the weight. Depending on how good your climate is for wisteria, you will be constantly pruning to keep the thing within bounds. Buy Fiskars bypass pruners.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

thank you kindly for the pruning information- extremely helpful

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Ah! Thank you! That's valuable information and will hopefully be worth the government's time and money to streamline. (The government's time is always worth spending)

Our site is very large. ~100 maps spread out over 500 acres. I know the techs doing the offsite fieldwork use GIS for mapping but I think it hasn't made its way onsite for inventorying because of its entry barriers for staff that a re just used to using Excel. I think I'll try to make a good case for some training

The new web-based ArcGIS is actually really quite user-friendly. If you just want some simple "put these lat/longs roughly where they need to be for a picture" visuals, you can also get away with powerbi too.

For garden layouts, do folks not use SketchUp? That's been a p solid free tool for me in the past.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Does anyone have any recommendations/advice for garden pathway lighting? We have a bunch of little shaded pathways through our garden and a pagoda but there's no good lighting at the moment.

I've seen the HD solar rechargable stake lights, but we'd need like 20-30 of them to adequately cover the pathing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Somebody on the Home Improvement thread vouched for Emboss-O-Tags, which are heavy aluminum overlaid on a fiberboard center. You write on them with a ball-point pen, or equivalent, they last forever in the weather. https://www.embossotag.com/products/emboss-o-tag-double-sided-write-on-metal-labels-pack-of-50

I've just ordered $50 for $14, because I'm beginning to put in a new garden in the autumn, and it's nice to know where you put things.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

El Mero Mero posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations/advice for garden pathway lighting? We have a bunch of little shaded pathways through our garden and a pagoda but there's no good lighting at the moment.

I've seen the HD solar rechargable stake lights, but we'd need like 20-30 of them to adequately cover the pathing.

I just buy full boxes of the $0.98 ones at walmart. I lose so many to the mower and neighborhood kids that it’s not worth spending any more.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

I've got about 20 of basically the cheapest ones available on Amazon (<$2 a piece, I just wanted to try them out) that are just a couple of LEDs and a solar panel stuck to a plastic stake and, surprisingly, they've been fine for more than a year (even though I left them all in over winter) so I imagine ones that aren't the cheapest available might actually be pretty decent?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Somebody on the Home Improvement thread vouched for Emboss-O-Tags, which are heavy aluminum overlaid on a fiberboard center. You write on them with a ball-point pen, or equivalent, they last forever in the weather. https://www.embossotag.com/products/emboss-o-tag-double-sided-write-on-metal-labels-pack-of-50

I've just ordered $50 for $14, because I'm beginning to put in a new garden in the autumn, and it's nice to know where you put things.

I'd be interested to see/hear how they work out for you when you get them. Do they make them in stake shape? I like poking the labels in the ground.

I'm using black plastic ones from Amazon and writing on them with a white extra fine DecoColor paint marker based on the recommendation of Plant Delights (though I think they use black on white). Seems to be holding up well so far.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 31, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wallet posted:

I'd be interested to see/hear how they work out for you when you get them. Do they make them in stake shape? I like poking the labels in the ground.
Yes they do and I've bought some before but I can't remember where. They have kind of a u-shaped wire stake thing. I used to use the wire-on ones on my roses and they held up well.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I asked about some kind of garden/landscape planner and I found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076J1HD48 It's not 3d or fancy, but it's a download and currently...$1. I bought it because I've spent more on a pack of gum and it seems to be ok for my needs so if you're looking for something simple, hey, it's a fuckin' dollar!

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Stupid question, I hope:

Why the gently caress would you put hay down with gravel under a deck?

So we had a porch and deck built last summer, and we asked the contractor to put gravel underneath in order to help hold back weeds/etc. They did, but their sub put hay down as well.

And it's sprouting and growing.

How concerned should I be? I can't even fathom why you'd do this in area that you specifically don't want stuff to grow. But mostly I have no idea if this is an annual or perennial and if I need to take steps to sort it out, or if I can just wait it out.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

Why the gently caress would you put hay down with gravel under a deck?

Is it under the gravel or on top of it? I can't think of any good reason you would do this, but I can imagine some stupid ones.

In any case there could be a multitude of seeds in it. If it's actually under your deck it's probably not going to grow very well, but you may want to hit it with some herbicide if you're worried about it.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Wallet posted:

Is it under the gravel or on top of it? I can't think of any good reason you would do this, but I can imagine some stupid ones.

In any case there could be a multitude of seeds in it. If it's actually under your deck it's probably not going to grow very well, but you may want to hit it with some herbicide if you're worried about it.

I forgot that I had a picture from 2 months ago:

It's growing decently down there. And that's why we asked for gravel in the first place... we have bermuda grass that grows everywhere except where we want it, and there were some aggressive shrubs that we built over (loropetalum and some others I don't know) so the gravel was intended to block things out as much as possible because we knew this was going to be an issue as is... no idea why they decided to contribute to the problem!

We've been spraying it periodically, but it didn't all sprout at the same time so we've had to go back over it several times. I'm sure if we're diligent it'll never get to seed, but I have no idea what it's going to do over the winter so that's what had me a bit worried that we're going to have a recurring issue.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That doesn't look like straw at all. It looks like grass clippings.

Spray with with a herbicide that has a pre-emergent in it also. Or use two different things.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I have no idea what it is :shrug:

The brown is what they put down, and the green is what's growing from it. Definitely different from what used to grow down there. So I assume the hay/straw/whatever is either sprouting new growth, or I guess maybe it brought some seeds along with it? I'd say there's no way they threw down some ryegrass on top of it all, but I know better than to assume that they wouldn't be that stupid.

I'll keep spraying it. I'll probably have to go down there routinely anyhow since there's some loropetalum remnants that got left behind.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

The brown is what they put down, and the green is what's growing from it. Definitely different from what used to grow down there. So I assume the hay/straw/whatever is either sprouting new growth, or I guess maybe it brought some seeds along with it? I'd say there's no way they threw down some ryegrass on top of it all, but I know better than to assume that they wouldn't be that stupid.

Without a pre-emergent spraying is only going to kill stuff that has already sprouted. You could also cover it at the end of winter and leave it covered for a season to kill anything that's left.

It also looks like the gravel might not be very thick? It needs some depth to do much, particularly to things trying to grow through it that are already there vs new seeds trying to germinate.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
If it’s Bermuda then preemergents ain’t going to help since it’s growing from rhizomes and stolons and not seed.

However if that deck is shading that area out, then it isn’t Bermuda because Bermuda wants as much sun as you can give it. Frankly bermuda isn’t doing a ton of growth this time of year unless you’re in a pretty warm climate.

Can you pull some?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
It's definitely not bermuda. Don't know what it is, but certainly not bermuda. My lawn is all bermuda, and I know that bullshit grass when I see it.

I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow maybe. Dunno, still weirded out by it being there to begin with. I cannot think of any good reason for the straw/hay/whatever to be there at all, let alone why it's sprouting and whether it's related or separate... so many questions.

Wallet posted:

Without a pre-emergent spraying is only going to kill stuff that has already sprouted. You could also cover it at the end of winter and leave it covered for a season to kill anything that's left.

It also looks like the gravel might not be very thick? It needs some depth to do much, particularly to things trying to grow through it that are already there vs new seeds trying to germinate.

It's mostly fine. That picture just happened to have a stump in it that got missed, so it looks like it's not too thick in that spot. Getting rid of that stump is on my to-do list, along with another one elsewhere that they missed.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Crosspostin' from the rad suburban dad thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961308&pagenumber=39#post519173882

Looking for help identifying the kind of grass I have at my new house. I'm 2 for 2 so far with common bermuda and annual ryegrass.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

lite_sleepr posted:

Crosspostin' from the rad suburban dad thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961308&pagenumber=39#post519173882

Looking for help identifying the kind of grass I have at my new house. I'm 2 for 2 so far with common bermuda and annual ryegrass.

Looks like common Bermuda to me. Don’t overseed it. Fertilizer, water, and summer time is all you need and it’ll fill in nicely.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Are you sure? This is my first house and I actually want to have a nice lawn front and back. I guess whatever the grass is as long as I apply the appropriate weed killer for the crabgrass and clover and a quality fertilizer and water it then whatever turf it is should fill in nicely is that right

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bermuda grass is super aggressive in its spread and growth. Assuming it's fed and watered, it will fill in gaps on its own.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
In my lawn way down south in Del Rio, it was full of those goat head stickers that would punch through sandals and hurt.

I wanna be able to walk barefoot through my lawn.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

lite_sleepr posted:

Are you sure? This is my first house and I actually want to have a nice lawn front and back. I guess whatever the grass is as long as I apply the appropriate weed killer for the crabgrass and clover and a quality fertilizer and water it then whatever turf it is should fill in nicely is that right

Leave the clover alone :( It's way nicer than grass.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What’s the best way to pick up “gum ball” spikeys? I have a lot and bribing the kids isn’t working.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

What’s the best way to pick up “gum ball” spikeys? I have a lot and bribing the kids isn’t working.
oh look, another employer claiming a "labor shortage" when they're just not offering enough compensation :smug:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

lite_sleepr posted:

If you overseed Bermuda, it’s a crapshoot if you get the same exact seeds as what you’ve already got. This can/will lead to non-uniformity in greenup/dormancy time and color variation throughout the season. Granted this is more important for hybrid variations (which are propagated only by plugs/sod/etc) but still.

Outside that yes you’ve got the basic idea. Be sure to read the labels and follow them (temperature and rate especially). I’ll post a 1year turn around I did here in a bit. A soil test to see what you need in the soil wouldn’t hurt either frankly.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

eddiewalker posted:

Something likee on of these miiight work, but i dunno if the sweetgum balls will fit in there or no. The spikey bits might get caught on the wires?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Corona-MAX-48-in-QuickCOLLECTOR-Nut-Gatherer-with-Carbon-Steel-Handle-LG13695/314032777

Otherwise they are just kind of a fact of life of living under a sweetgum.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
*five* mature sweet gums in the front yard. Who plants these things?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

*five* mature sweet gums in the front yard. Who plants these things?

Other sweet gums, probably.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
What is my cheapest option for deer fencing around a hobby garden (maybe 50ft x 50ft + some separate trees and berry bushes)? Current plan is t-posts plus that black poly mesh fencing stuff but the posts are like $20.00 each here. However, the deer in the area are numerous and have a highway through my backyard.

The neighbors have electric fencing up but I'm trying to make the garden as off-grid as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

unlimited shrimp posted:

What is my cheapest option for deer fencing around a hobby garden (maybe 50ft x 50ft + some separate trees and berry bushes)? Current plan is t-posts plus that black poly mesh fencing stuff but the posts are like $20.00 each here. However, the deer in the area are numerous and have a highway through my backyard.

The neighbors have electric fencing up but I'm trying to make the garden as off-grid as possible.

You can get solar + battery fence controllers.

I don't know how your deer are, but something 50x50 is big enough for them to feel like they can jump into it. Deer need to run to jump, so they won't jump into smaller enclosures, but I bet they're try yours. Our local whitetail population will absolutely jump a 6 foot fence.

So if yours are similar you're going to need fence posts that are 7 foot + the depth to your frost line. You don't need to put up full 7 foot high fence, but you will need to put a wire around the top. Something with some flash tape seems to work well.

Cheapest is gonna be ugly, but if you don't care it's probably galvanized chain link fence posts.