Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Just posting to find an old post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You can click someone else's question mark and paste your own user ID into the URL.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You can click someone else's question mark and paste your own user ID into the URL.

:aaaaa:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Woah.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I just read The Anarchy by William Dalrymple and enjoyed it, can anyone suggest me something along the same lines?

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 25, 2021

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for Indiana Jones style pseudoarchaeological adventure stuff. I don't mind if it's trash if its fun. Any opinions on James Rollins for example?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for Indiana Jones style pseudoarchaeological adventure stuff. I don't mind if it's trash if its fun. Any opinions on James Rollins for example?

There's a series by Charles L. Grant (under the pen name Geoffrey Marsh) that stars a tailor from New Jersey who's secretly an international treasure hunter. Dumb and pulpy as hell but fun and quick reads. The first one is The King of Satan's Eyes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chas McGill posted:

The Dirk Pitt novels certainly fall into the trashy pseydoarchaelogical adventure mold. Just don't expect much in the way of diversity or female characters more developed than Pussy Galore.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
I'm looking for something to read that's similar to seven samurai/the magnificent seven.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bullet Proof posted:

I'm looking for something to read that's similar to seven samurai/the magnificent seven.

if manga's ok i read and enjoyed some of vagabond

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Bullet Proof posted:

Six of Crows is about a group of minor criminals who have different skill sets coming together to make a big score. It's YA but pretty good as far as that goes. Someone mentioned the Legacy of Heorot up thread for a totally different ask. It features an isolated community that ends up under siege from a horde of attackers and how they get there. These cover different aspects of the Seven Samurai idea. Can you explain more about which elements you're interested in?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I’m looking for either a fantasy or sci-fi series with a good audiobook narrator. I’m coming off of the latest Joe Abercrombie novel and think that Steven Pacey is one of the best narrators in the business.

I prefer audiobooks as I commute about 45 minutes one way and also like to listen while I walk.

I enjoy the Expanse Series, pretty much everything by Sanderson, Joe Abercrombie’s novels.

I’ve read Three-body problem and enjoy that sort of harder sci-fi as well.

I’m just at a loss on what to read next, I pretty much take a series all the way to completion.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
James Marsters does a great job with the Dresden Files

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Saul Kain posted:

I’m looking for either a fantasy or sci-fi series with a good audiobook narrator. I’m coming off of the latest Joe Abercrombie novel and think that Steven Pacey is one of the best narrators in the business.

I prefer audiobooks as I commute about 45 minutes one way and also like to listen while I walk.

I enjoy the Expanse Series, pretty much everything by Sanderson, Joe Abercrombie’s novels.

I’m just at a loss on what to read next, I pretty much take a series all the way to completion.
Might be too YA but the Harry Potter books have two audio versions and each narrator is fantastic. I personally prefer the Jim Dale version but I think in general more people prefer the Stephen Fry narration.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Saul Kain posted:

The guy who does the Witcher books is good

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Saul Kain posted:

Lies of Locke Lamora has a good reader iirc.

Selachian posted:

There's a series by Charles L. Grant (under the pen name Geoffrey Marsh) that stars a tailor from New Jersey who's secretly an international treasure hunter. Dumb and pulpy as hell but fun and quick reads. The first one is The King of Satan's Eyes.
That sounds amazing.

Azhais posted:

The Dirk Pitt novels certainly fall into the trashy pseydoarchaelogical adventure mold. Just don't expect much in the way of diversity or female characters more developed than Pussy Galore.
I wouldn't expect much more with that name.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Saul Kain posted:

I thought The Midnight Library was saccharine but narrated well. Kind of a different rec from me at least.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

Grifter posted:

Six of Crows is about a group of minor criminals who have different skill sets coming together to make a big score. It's YA but pretty good as far as that goes. Someone mentioned the Legacy of Heorot up thread for a totally different ask. It features an isolated community that ends up under siege from a horde of attackers and how they get there. These cover different aspects of the Seven Samurai idea. Can you explain more about which elements you're interested in?

Honestly these both sound great.

I was more interested in the isolated community being defended aspect, but I also like heist stories so thanks!

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

regulargonzalez posted:

Might be too YA but the Harry Potter books have two audio versions and each narrator is fantastic. I personally prefer the Jim Dale version but I think in general more people prefer the Stephen Fry narration.

I read Harry Potter as a young pup. I have no desire to revisit those novels.

Azhais posted:

James Marsters does a great job with the Dresden Files

I think I read the first one of those. Do they get better?

Chas McGill posted:

Lies of Locke Lamora has a good reader iirc.

This one looks really interesting. Is it a series?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Saul Kain posted:

There's new audio for Hobbit and LotR read by Andy Serkis and I've heard they're very good.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Saul Kain posted:

I read Harry Potter as a young pup. I have no desire to revisit those novels.

Dresden does get quite a bit better by book 3 but that is arguably a low bar. If you skip ahead to book 3 and still bounce off, it's probably not your cup of tea.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saul Kain posted:

This one looks really interesting. Is it a series?

I've read Dresden multiple times and enjoyed the whole series, so not the most objective opinion. wheatpuppy's comment about book 3 is probably valid and most of the series plots are in motion at that point. Last few have been a bit meh, especially the last one which was literally just half of the book.

Lies of Locke Lamora is great, book 1 of the Gentleman Bastards series. Currently 3 books are out, with a fourth expected next year. In theory there are going to be 7 but he's not really writing much faster than GRRM (book 2 2007, 3 2013, 4 2022)

Azhais fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 29, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Saul Kain posted:

Mary Robinette Kowal does an excellent job with the October Daye series, the narrator of all of the Terry Pratchett audiobooks is amazing but I would 100% recommend the Tiffany Aching sub-series specifically

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Has there ever been a sci-fi novel written that depicts the future, in 100 years or even more, where technology has barely if at all progressed from the present day (when the book was written) but vast changes have nevertheless taken place, due to climate change or a stagnating economy/politics/culture, or some other factor the author explores? But not war necessarily, we're all familiar with the post-apocalyptic setting.

Warhammer 40k kind of does this, where science is illegal and basically no technological progress has been made in 10,000 years. Bizarre rituals grow around that, like praying to the machine spirits to keep technology running that is now beyond the understanding of those who use it.

So kind of like that, but the cut off for progress is now, instead of the year 30,000AD.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Oryx and Crake

E: except I don't think it's 100 years from now so might not be a great fit. It's more like a handful of years.

E2: and while war isn't responsible, it is post-apocalyptic. So it might be a bad fit all around. But it's in my all time top 20, it nails a specific emotional state (the bleakness past despair) better than anything else I've ever read.

E3: Sailing to Byzantium almost qualifies. The only really new tech is that aging has been cured. Cities are destroyed and created for fun but there's no talk of new technology in this regard iirc. It's a novella rather than a novel but otherwise fits.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 30, 2021

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

If you're into goofy multimedia Web fiction, Jon Bois's 17776 and 20020 are about a world where human birth and death stopped in the mid-21st century, technology advanced to post-scarcity levels to make immortality more comfortable, and then humanity settled in for millennia of play and general screwing around.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book or two about the Korean War? It's the only major US conflict I've never really delved into. I'm not looking for solely a blow-by-blow account; I'd really like to read about the political decision-making, the Army's unpreparedness and overconfidence, foolish decisions that brought China into the war, the debate over deploying nuclear weapons, etc. Thanks.

Bumping this because I am actually interested in books like but for any wars.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

kaesarsosei posted:

The Vietnam war is an amazing topic to dive in, especially because so much has been tainted by Hollywood, with very popular movies ranging from realistic to completely sensationalized, that actually obscure the deeper strategic and political decisions that made the war. Let alone their disregard of the suffering of the local population in both halves of the country.

I had a bit of hankering for Vietnam War books last year and here are a couple of my favorites.

[url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bright_Shining_Lie][A Bright Shining Lie/url]

Neil Sheehan documents the life of John Paul Vann, an American officer KIA in Vietnam. Vann was one of the first in the military to realize how dedicated and determined the Vietcong were, how corrupt and useless the ARVN was, and how misjudged the American strategic approach in Vietnam was. The book does a good job of describing the ebb and flow of the war until the point Vann dies.

[url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_and_the_Brightest][The Best and the Brightest/url]

This is a very good political account about the political decision making that turned Vietnam into what could’ve been avoided - a tragic massacre of staggering size. Basically a roomful of Ivy League PhDs crafting ever more stupid and murderous strategies that prolong the war and cause needless suffering.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Has there ever been a sci-fi novel written that depicts the future, in 100 years or even more, where technology has barely if at all progressed from the present day (when the book was written) but vast changes have nevertheless taken place, due to climate change or a stagnating economy/politics/culture, or some other factor the author explores? But not war necessarily, we're all familiar with the post-apocalyptic setting.

Warhammer 40k kind of does this, where science is illegal and basically no technological progress has been made in 10,000 years. Bizarre rituals grow around that, like praying to the machine spirits to keep technology running that is now beyond the understanding of those who use it.

So kind of like that, but the cut off for progress is now, instead of the year 30,000AD.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The Sea and Summer, by George Turner. Also published as Drowning Towers in the US market.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I'm interested in sci-fi that explores the culture and thought processes of intelligent beings that are very different from humans (animals, aliens, artificial intelligences, whatever), such as Le Guin's "Author of the Acacia Seeds." Also nonfiction and philosophy that touches on similar ideas, e.g. Flusser's Vampyroteuthis Infernalis.

ScienceSeagull fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 30, 2021

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

ScienceSeagull posted:

I'm interested in sci-fi that explores the culture and thought processes of intelligent beings that are very different from humans (animals, aliens, artificial intelligences, whatever), such as Le Guin's "Author of the Acacia Seeds." Also nonfiction and philosophy that touches on similar ideas, e.g. Flusser's Vampyroteuthis Infernalis.

Becky Chambers Wayfarers series has a lot of interesting non humans. Humans too though.

Classically speaking, Asimov's The Gods Themselves has an absolutely wild alien culture that's interestingly depicted, although it's been 20 years since I've read it so I'm floaty on the details. It also has some dumb humans.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ScienceSeagull posted:

Check out Dragon’s Egg, Children of Time, A Deepness in the Sky, Semiosis, and Embassytown.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

ScienceSeagull posted:

I’ll second Children of Time. I really enjoyed that series.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Dragons egg is a great suggestion for a truly alien investigation. Children of time is a great book but the spiders aren't super alien, just weird.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I read Dragon's Egg and the sequel Star Quake years ago, don't really remember much. Thanks for all the recs!

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

kaesarsosei posted:

Ostkrieg: Hitler's War of Extermination in the East spends much of its pagecount on Hitler's decision-making.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

ScienceSeagull posted:

Blindsight, maybe Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, maybe Olaf Stapledon's future humans.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I’ve been reading Engine Summer and I think that might apply.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm a sucker for time-traveling books with my favorite being Replay by Ken Grimwood. Any recommendations for other books in the time-traveling genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Have you read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August? I don't know if it technically counts as a time travel book but if it doesn't, it should