Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's a breed of four horned sheep, the Jacobs. Op has several.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

my cat is norris posted:

Does Wander have stripes on his horns?!

Yep! Just like his daddy, Ashe.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How do you get sheep with four horns? I thought they only grew two if they grew any at all.

There are a handful of polycerate sheep breeds (and a goat breed) that have a genetic trait giving males and females 4 or more horns. Mine are jacobs which are the most common polycerate sheep breed. Four horns is dominant to two horns so it's pretty easy to breed for.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Instant Jellyfish posted:

There are a handful of polycerate sheep breeds (and a goat breed) that have a genetic trait giving males and females 4 or more horns. Mine are jacobs which are the most common polycerate sheep breed. Four horns is dominant to two horns so it's pretty easy to breed for.

I don't know how I've never caught that before! The stripe is so handsome.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

That's so cool, I had no idea about the stripes!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Well, looks like it’s going to be a busy spring.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:neckbeard:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Fuuuuuuck yes. Good luck and send pix or it didn't happen!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My sister's flock just dropped the first lamb. It's currently -14F at her house. The lamb is ok, though. Looking forward to seeing your reports too!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

how are those sheep

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

my cat is norris posted:

how are those sheep

Big and cranky! We've gotten about 3 feet of snow this winter and the ewes refuse to leave the barn. I'll be sorting them into lambing groups next week and then our first ewe is due on March 7th and the rest due starting March 12th.

One of my nice mature rams, Logan, managed to kill himself in a stupid way (thankfully before all the snow) so hopefully his lambs turn out well so I can keep some back.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Oh, poor Logan!

I don't want to go out into this icy snow, either.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

One of my nice mature rams, Logan, managed to kill himself in a stupid way (thankfully before all the snow) so hopefully his lambs turn out well so I can keep some back.

Sorry to hear that. How stupid was it if you don't mind sharing?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

One of my old retired ewes got him so worked up he tried to go through the fence and somehow wedged himself between a fence post and the hay feeder. If he had taken a minute to think about things he could have pulled himself out easily but instead he literally flipped out and broke his neck.

The ewe was unrepentant.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wow that's the dumbest way I've heard of a sheep killing themselves. Usually they play follow the leader and jump off a drat cliff while they're being herded somewhere.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It’s not the first time I’ve lost a ram to being too hornt up to function. My very first ram got out when my parents were watching the farm overnight, got his horn tangled in some fencing, and broke his neck before they could save him. They ended up needing to saw his horn to get his body out of the fence. I bred away from horns that could get stuck in fencing that way so they came up with a new way. Sheep are not bright creatures but they are very creative when it comes to killing themselves.

Honestly it was my fault. The night before it happened I was thinking that I hadn’t unexpectedly lost a sheep since Twofer last year. I should have smacked myself before completing that thought!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Now that I'm on my computer instead of my phone I can post pictures. He's dead but it's not graphic so hopefully no one is bothered.

Logan why

You were my best halter trained ram, why. His horn isn't wrapped around that wire.

I don't know how you wedged that in there but I know you could have gotten it out again. It wasn't hard for me to remove his body.

This is the size of the gap that was there before he jammed his horn in. I could have never predicted someone would get a horn stuck in that.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Cripes. Dammit, Logan, you beautiful idiot.

So sorry for your loss. He'll survive as a cautionary tale about the dangers of horniness.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

ILL Machina posted:

He'll survive as a cautionary tale about the dangers of horniness.

if only the other rams could understand...

me, personally? i've learned a valuable lesson from this for sure.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Poor ol' Logan, thought of breeding and died. :smith:

That really is a drat shame, he looks like he was a beautiful sheep too.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

He really was a gorgeous ram. He was best mature ram in a virtual show last year and placed decently as a lamb at some in person shows a few years back. He was a ram I could take anywhere because he was very well halter trained and traveled calmly. He was also the only lamb I had from his mom, who was a lovely ewe that developed some weird joint infection and had to be put down before she could be bred a second time. Both of her parents were sold so he was fairly genetically unique in my flock. I bred him to a bunch of ewes so hopefully he gave me something to keep back!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Hope he left a good legacy and maybe his offspring will have a braincell or two more than he.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Chaosfeather posted:

Hope he left a good legacy and maybe his offspring will have a braincell or two more than he.

I have yet to hear tale of a surprisingly smart ram, but I'm very happy to be educated.

E: no insult to the op, I giggled too, and also hope for less idiocy.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 13, 2022

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I love all my big dumb rams. They're so handsome!

Old man Isadore, he turned 7 on the 12th. Rams don't live nearly as long as ewes, sadly, so he's starting to show his age.

Icy peepers. I've got quite the collection of blue-eyed boys these days.

Wander

Souvenir

Serendipity

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

aawwwwww hail satan :kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

do you still take visitors at the farm? will there be a shearing day?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

my cat is norris posted:

do you still take visitors at the farm? will there be a shearing day?

We still welcome visitors! We're working out how to do shearing day safely, although I'm not sure how much it matters when no one else is being safe :( We miss having everyone out! I'm doing lamb camp as private one on one sessions this year so it's not just a big group of strangers crammed into my basement. I've also been invited to teach some sheep 101/lambing info classes at a local mead and cider brewery.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

How have things progressed?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I've started shearing the preggos! I did 8 yesterday and I'll probably do the other 8 on Friday before starting in on the open ewes. Right now it's looking like about half are on target to lamb on the 12th or so and half will probably wait until the next cycle on the 29th. I'm getting so excited! I've got a bunch of people coming out for lamb camp (I'm doing individual sessions so it won't be a big group of people together) so the girls better be prompt.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Ten days until new babbys! :neckbeard:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Do you have one of these?

https://twitter.com/VenenoFx/status/1498844382602092546

If not, why not? If so, can you show us pleeeease.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

ILL Machina posted:

Do you have one of these?

https://twitter.com/VenenoFx/status/1498844382602092546

If not, why not? If so, can you show us pleeeease.

If I ever have that many bottle babies I'm doing something very wrong! I hate having bottle babies, I don't know how dairy folks do it. When I do have multiple bottle babies at once I just bust out bucket mom, which is a bucket with nipples attached.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Preggos are all sheared now and nighttime barn checks start tonight. The one early bird is due tomorrow when the weather is supposed to be awful so it's a very tempting time to give birth, but I'm going to be gone all day shearing on Tuesday so she might aim for that instead (my mom is going to come out and check her for me during the day). I've got a pen all set up so that might make her decide to hold it in for a few extra days since I'm prepared. Pregnant ewes are very calculating.

One of the lambs tried to bonk me through its mama's belly while I was shearing then flip flopped away when I poked its head :3: I bet that one is going to be a ram.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Preggos are all sheared now and nighttime barn checks start tonight. The one early bird is due tomorrow when the weather is supposed to be awful so it's a very tempting time to give birth, but I'm going to be gone all day shearing on Tuesday so she might aim for that instead (my mom is going to come out and check her for me during the day). I've got a pen all set up so that might make her decide to hold it in for a few extra days since I'm prepared. Pregnant ewes are very calculating.

One of the lambs tried to bonk me through its mama's belly while I was shearing then flip flopped away when I poked its head :3: I bet that one is going to be a ram.

I bet they're still gonna find the most inconvenient moment possible just to spite you :allears:.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tell us why the preggos need to be sheared?

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

She mentioned this at some point but I don't remember when or in which thread; iirc if they're not sheared the mom won't realize that it's loving Cold and will birth the lamb(s) in places where they're more prone to getting chilled (potentially fatally). But if you remove all the wool, sheep mom's actually aware of the cold.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tell us why the preggos need to be sheared?

Like Clockwork posted:

She mentioned this at some point but I don't remember when or in which thread; iirc if they're not sheared the mom won't realize that it's loving Cold and will birth the lamb(s) in places where they're more prone to getting chilled (potentially fatally). But if you remove all the wool, sheep mom's actually aware of the cold.

Yeah! Good remembering. That's a part of it, it also makes them eat more before lambing because they're cooler which results in bigger, hardier lambs. It reduces the amount of moisture in the barn which reduces pneumonia risk. It makes it easier for the lambs to find the teats and reduces the risk of them suckling on dirty gross wool and getting sick from it. It's cleaner for the ewe so there's less of a risk of infection for them than if they walked around all goopy for a month until shearing. It also gives you a better wool crop because lambs will jump all over their moms and gently caress up the fleece as well as birth sometimes causing a weak point in the wool.

All in all it's a good idea if you can swing it. I've missed years for various reasons and it's not the end of the world but if you can get it done safely before it's a good practice.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Remember how I was waiting for my one early ewe to lamb?

This is not that ewe.

I guess after being last last year, Woodrose was determined to be first this year. She had a cute little ram with a smiley face :kimchi:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Remember how I was waiting for my one early ewe to lamb?

This is not that ewe.

I guess after being last last year, Woodrose was determined to be first this year. She had a cute little ram with a smiley face :kimchi:

There's some powerful "Mo~om, you're embarrassing meeeEEeee" energy in that ram.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That facial pattern is adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

His one floppy ear is killing me.

It's too cute!

He's I'm's first lamb so good job I'm!