Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Would a chipper take care of boxes or would it gum up the works too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
People keep saying things like cardboard dull razor blades or cutting boxes to pieces, but surely if you're breaking down 99% of boxes you're cutting tape and folding it flat?

Rufio posted:

Would a chipper take care of boxes or would it gum up the works too much?

If we're talking machinery then presumably you have a crusher, although a crusher is still going to work much more efficiently if you feed it flat boxes instead of whole.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I'm changing my answer to radial arm saw

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

the best way I found to take care of cardboard that wasn't taped (just running a kinfe round the tape) was my ole battery powered small circular saw, and outside. Mostly though I just run a utility blade around the tape and fold it up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oxy-acetylene torch for me. Amazon boxes don’t stand a chance.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

These blades are the best I've found for dealing with opening cardboard boxes/ paper sacks. They last about 4x as long as regular blades.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

~Coxy posted:

People keep saying things like cardboard dull razor blades or cutting boxes to pieces, but surely if you're breaking down 99% of boxes you're cutting tape and folding it flat?

and hopefully ONLY in the box flattening area

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Rufio posted:

I'm changing my answer to radial arm saw

Somebody here, volunteer your viscera for the task

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

The Saucer Hovers posted:

and hopefully ONLY in the box flattening area

and ONLY daily at 4pm

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

knox_harrington posted:

I mistakenly bought a non retractable Stanley knife the other day, I'm just used to the ones with the slidey lever on top. It came with a really lovely plastic triangle to go on the blade end, which feels like a sliced fingertip waiting to happen.

So I guess I need to buy another one.

Same but Swann Morton knife. And it doesn't come with anything to cover the blade at all.

Re: box chat... I second the Tajima, best blade.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I got a Tajima and some extra blades thanks to this thread. The cheapo non refillable box cutter i had was just finally dying out

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like the Milwaukee fastback because I can flip out the blade like I’m in West Side Story

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Smugworth posted:

Does anybody make a good tool for breaking down cardboard boxes? It's a never ending battle trying to get them in the recycling, and my box cutter ain't cutting (heh) it. Bonus points if it's DeWalt.

I'm a fan of the ULINE basic comfort grip box cutters. I've been using them for almost a decade at work and home and they are great. Took me almost two years to realize that red button on the side was for quick changing the blades. Up to that point, I had been taking them apart and flipping the blades like an idiot.

https://www.uline.com/BL_1170/Uline-Comfort-Grip-Knives?keywords=box+cutter

Only caveat is that you have to buy them in lots of 6, but you can never really have too many box cutters or tape measures.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

FCKGW posted:

I like the Milwaukee fastback because I can flip out the blade like I’m in West Side Story

I tried to tell the thread already but they decided on using some rectangular piece of plastic

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Verman posted:

Man, I've always just folded the boxes with the corrugated grain in half or however they'll fit flat into my recycling bin. Flat is a much better fit then cutting to pieces.

As a former store stocking clerk, cutting cardboard boxes is only done when you have to do it. Large oversize boxes or boxes that can't break down flat are a good example.

As a former professional box breaker downer, yeah. The only time I ever cut cardboard was turning large boxes into flap less containers to move lots of smaller folded up boxes. Or slicing one corner of a large box to Z fold the thing up (to fit into another big box).

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I need a basic metric/imperial 3/8" socket set for around the house kind of stuff. Are Harbor freight ratchets/sockets half decent for that kind fo thing?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Y'all I got the Ryobi tire inflator on sale for 20 and it low key changed my life.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I need a basic metric/imperial 3/8" socket set for around the house kind of stuff. Are Harbor freight ratchets/sockets half decent for that kind fo thing?

They are but for close to the same price you could probably grab a set of Husky's which, though cheap, have served me well for years in lowish torque situations. 11 years with the same set and both my wrenches work great, no sliding or abnormal ratcheting.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Ditto Tekton.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I have the Husky metric/SAE combo set of pass through ratchets and they're pretty good for $60 or whatever.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I recently bought one of the Harbor Freight Quinn branded sets at $25 or so, and it's a decent set, HOWEVER, I'd probably go for the equivalent Husky or Kobalt set next time since they generally come in a blow molded storage case, and the HF set didn't.

Edit: I do have the equivalent Kobalt set, with a blow molded case, and it was about the same price. Haven't noticed a huge difference in the actual quality of the tool in the stuff that I've used both for.

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 30, 2021

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

stealie72 posted:

Box cutting chat:

Former grocery store clerk checking in. You want these, and only these: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00006IC0L/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_GN4PZANWA0NRQSKRWSK5

Get a 100 pack of single edge razor blades and keep 2-4 of these on you, flipping and changing the blades often.

I've worked in a bunch of "unload and unbox all of the arrived inventory" roles and even though there are technically better cutters out there, these ones are the ones that I always found to be the best for opening boxes.

You can quickly get the blade out/in with one hand with a tap, it doesn't bend or snag, the rectangle profile reduces the likelihood that you poke yourself or the inventory, they're thin and perfect for cutting along tape lines and box edges, and they have a tiny profile so it's easy to just have it on you in your pocket always. That "handleless" profile also doesn't force you to commit to a specific grip/angle so it makes them more versatile. It also prevents you from treating a box cutter like a sword. You can't get crazy purchase on it, which is how it should be.

I'd say if you have a ton of legit breakdown work (segmenting down actual cardboard rather than along tape lines) that some of the other stuff linked is better.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 30, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’d go for the Husky brand at Home Depot. Not too much more but they all come with lifetime warranty that’s just “go to store and swap out the broken piece”. They’ve started putting sets on sale for Christmas already.

Basic set with wrench
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3...20SWS/206038542

Big household set with sockets and wrenches for $99
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mechanics-Tool-Set-270-Piece-H270MTS/309161789

This Milwaukee set is a real good deal at $99 as well

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-3-8-in-Drive-SAE-Metric-Ratchet-and-Socket-Mechanics-Tool-Set-56-Piece-48-22-9008/305146344

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

FCKGW posted:

I’d go for the Husky brand at Home Depot. Not too much more but they all come with lifetime warranty that’s just “go to store and swap out the broken piece”. They’ve started putting sets on sale for Christmas already.

Big household set with sockets and wrenches for $99
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mechanics-Tool-Set-270-Piece-H270MTS/309161789

Ooh thanks that's just what I needed. Kind of strange that it's not available in store or to be shipped, only available via their delivery service.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Ooh thanks that's just what I needed. Kind of strange that it's not available in store or to be shipped, only available via their delivery service.

HD is doing that more and more with items from their site. Amazon model I guess - cheaper to ship to your house than to ship to a pickup point (unless there's the scale for it and I doubt HD has it).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tracecomplete posted:

HD is doing that more and more with items from their site. Amazon model I guess - cheaper to ship to your house than to ship to a pickup point (unless there's the scale for it and I doubt HD has it).

And they're doing a really bad job of it for large stuff. If it can't go USPS/UPS I wouldn't buy it.

I had MULTIPLE damaged items (things like fiberglass showers surrounds) show up in the back of filthy unlabeled white box trucks with BOLs from shippers I've never heard of before.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any recommendations on a label maker? Sick of using sharpies to label breakers and stuff.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any recommendations on a label maker? Sick of using sharpies to label breakers and stuff.

If you have a laser printer I like the printable templates. There are lots of styles of cheap ones on Amazon etc.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I recommend any Dymo that takes printable heatshrink.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Go old-school with the clickyclickystickysticky -- quoting myself from the purchases thread:

Trabant posted:

I bought an old label maker off eBay:

It's still pretty accurate though:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

This is a very specific ask, but if I wanted to make small engraved brass plates, what do I need? There are a lot of options but I really just want to make small screw-in plates no bigger than 3” x 1”.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Y'all I got the Ryobi tire inflator on sale for 20 and it low key changed my life.

This and the Ryobi bar light are my 2 most used tools.

Bike tires car tires inflatable narwhal lawn things, blow up beds. Also use it to fan my fire pit if the fire starts dying. (Be careful of the plastic tube).

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

tracecomplete posted:

This is a very specific ask, but if I wanted to make small engraved brass plates, what do I need? There are a lot of options but I really just want to make small screw-in plates no bigger than 3” x 1”.

Depends on how many. Just a few? This could be accomplished with a few hand tools and a Dremel tool to do the engraving. Hell if you're just doing text just get a set of letter embossed punches.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

For label making, get any Brother P-Touch, a waterproof tape, and never look back. Unlike the kind that emboss, they don't tend to separate from the surface over time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If we’re sharing our favorite waterproof labelling solutions, I’m a big fan of Emboss-o-tags.

Writeable both sides.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Literally A Ghost posted:

Depends on how many. Just a few? This could be accomplished with a few hand tools and a Dremel tool to do the engraving. Hell if you're just doing text just get a set of letter embossed punches.

Just a few, and just text. Letter punches look like a fun thing to have around regardless. Thanks!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

For label making, get any Brother P-Touch, a waterproof tape, and never look back. Unlike the kind that emboss, they don't tend to separate from the surface over time.

I have a P-Touch.

I'm not putting P-Touch labels on furniture that I make.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

tracecomplete posted:

Just a few, and just text. Letter punches look like a fun thing to have around regardless. Thanks!

If it is just a few, I'd recommend doing a google search on "laser cutting" and "laser engraving" + "your town"

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

tater_salad posted:

This and the Ryobi bar light are my 2 most used tools.

I'm legit thinking of buying a second, that light is loving amazing

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah I have this thing too, the one with the high and low pressure hoses, and it's pretty handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

tracecomplete posted:

I have a P-Touch.

I'm not putting P-Touch labels on furniture that I make.

Sorry, I was replying to the Dymo conversation, not to your table.