Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Enfys posted:

just wait

they'll be marching in like they own the place (they do now, sorry) and kicking the cats out in no time

and if you don't open the door promptly, they'll jump up on your windowsills and peer in while pecking on the window for your attention

they did start out in the house so it would be a natural return. i think every chicken i've ever owned started out living in the house and always wanted to come back inside lol

when i was a kid our hens would come and sit at the back sliding glass door and look at us balefully. one little buff cochin hen would take advantage of open doors to come in and watch tv. my mom found her perched on the arm of the couch once just intently watching whatever cartoon i'd left on

broody jail 1.0 -

she is in the office and she's not thrilled about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

She's furious.

Good day for retired outdoor hens today:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

spookygonk posted:

She's furious.

bliss :love:

is that a blueberry pot?

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

City of Glompton posted:

broody jail 1.0 -

she is in the office and she's not thrilled about it
tiny puff rage

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

spookygonk posted:

She's furious.

they look so happy

yes, Lil' Pep is not having a great day. she's at least been out on the linoleum to stretch a few times, got held for awhile, and ate some food/groomed herself but that doesn't mean she has to like it. my cat is also confused/suspicious, she is usually my only work buddy, why am i paying attention to a creature that is not her?

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

spookygonk posted:

life is dust, dust is life!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

oh they are so adorable :love:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

City of Glompton posted:

oh they are so adorable :love:

:yeah: :love:

This vid seems thread-relevant (particularly if you misspell the species name). This little bird is a survivor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCRLyREqiyk

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Enfys posted:

bliss :love:

is that a blueberry pot?

Good eye, yes it is. We have two bushes and they provide us with enough fruit for a couple of dozen blueberry muffins, as the chickens pick the rest as soon as they go any where near ripe.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 28, 2021

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

a little over 24 hours in broody jail seems to have worked. Lil' Pep is now out in the garden scratching with everyone else. i'm not taking the jail down yet, just in case she doesn't want to come off the nest tomorrow. i'm glad to have her outside though, the broody poos are really something

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

City of Glompton posted:

a little over 24 hours in broody jail seems to have worked. Lil' Pep is now out in the garden scratching with everyone else. i'm not taking the jail down yet, just in case she doesn't want to come off the nest tomorrow. i'm glad to have her outside though, the broody poos are really something
my chickens used to drop broody poos that were bigger than their actual eggs. quail do it too!

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

how an animal can drop a turd twice the size of her own head and then look at me like i'm the shameful one, i don't understand

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm cautiously optimistic that round 1 in the rat war has gone to Team Human. My dogs killed a 5th and then a 6th one this week (Good girls! I have a terrier and two dachshunds. They were so happy.) The last one was so bold they actually caught it INSIDE MY HOUSE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY :gonk: where it had been trying to eat their food.

Anyway every time we killed one I filled in their nest holes, but they always reappeared nearly instantly. But after the sixth rat it's been two days and the hole is still filled in and the traps have gone untouched for two nights in a row.

I guess rat traps and precautions with chicken feed are just going to be a feature of life from now on. I didn't anticipate that when we got chickens, but I should have.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In other chicken news I ended up getting a solar powered light to hang in their coop to hopefully give them longer waking hours during the winter. Seems to work! Just ordered an outdoor heated dog water bowl for them in anticipation of cold weather ahead.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

You could try the rodent baits. The only issue with them is you never know where Mickey or Rickey will end up when they kick the bucket. We currently aren't using our guest bedroom, which is lucky because there's somebody in between the studs behind drywall. Somewhere. It'll mummify soon hopefully.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah I threw some poison under the house, down their holes, and back in the corners of our barn, but I have to be judicious to keep my nosy dogs from finding it too. I've made some homemade stations for the snap traps out of plastic buckets so they're weather/dog proof, too. The thought of a dead rat(s) stinking up the house did occur to me as well, considering how stinky even a tiny dead mouse can be if you can't get to it.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Obviously you need a coop snake. Ours was back again last night.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Joburg posted:

You might need to name it, if it's taken up residence.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Joburg posted:

:3: long chook

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

i was wrong about the ravens, they hadn't hatched another chick. their nest blew down in a big storm the other night and i found it sitting in my driveway - dog included for scale.

there were no chicks or eggs, but there was a fully grown dead raven that had been dead for a few days. so what i thought was a baby celebration the other day was actually a funeral :( the wind had blown everything around, but the corpse was right beside the nest, so it had either been in or close by when it died. i put some offerings in it and propped it in the vegetation in the orchard, a lot of smaller birds build their homes in abandoned ravens' nests so you never know.

(please do not be alarmed, the small blue egg is from a blackbird)

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

So relaxed. :3:

Found out tonight that Molly has mites running around her vent, so it's the squirty bottle of ivermectin to stop those little buggers in their tracks. Bella and Nova were lifted out of their nests (much complaining) and were dosed as well. Will spray Willow in the morning. She's having a huge moult at the moment and looking a bit ragged and under the weather.

I know it's psychosomatic* am sitting here scratching myself.

*addict insane

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

spookygonk posted:

Found out tonight that Molly has mites running around her vent, so it's the squirty bottle of ivermectin to stop those little buggers in their tracks. Bella and Nova were lifted out of their nests (much complaining) and were dosed as well. Will spray Willow in the morning. She's having a huge moult at the moment and looking a bit ragged and under the weather.

*addict insane

Come play my game
Inhale, inhale, you're the victim
Come play my game
Exhale, exhale, exhale

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

spookygonk posted:

*addict insane

I mean, at least now the mites will be dead and they won't get covid from the horse chicken dewormer :v:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Shifty Nipples posted:

Come play my game
Inhale, inhale, you're the victim
Come play my game
Exhale, exhale, exhale
Years later, I'm still trying to figure out why these pierced Englishmen want me to bite their dime. Is it a euphemism?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Weird rear end poultry just standing in the rain

And the little cheep cheeps are staying dry.

Chickens don't make any sense.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

peace

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
baby update! everybody is doing good and now named.

energetic birds mostly didn't want to get picked up for photos so some are blurry.

Pebbles the Silver Laced Wyandotte

Drama the buff Brahma

Barbados the easter egger

Thistle the blue-splash Maran

Bucket the Rhode Island Red

Parsnip, another easter egger

Monaco the Black Copper Maran

and Truffle the last easter egger

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I really hope Truffles keeps a lot of that gorgeous pattern once she molts

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

I really hope Truffles keeps a lot of that gorgeous pattern once she molts

same, she's my partner's favorite

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

they are beautiful :love:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

City of Glompton posted:

they are beautiful :love:

Very best hens right there. Look forward to more photos of them growing up.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

but i have no technical skills and every time i try to build something it ends in disaster :(

Y'all have bug shelters down there?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Days are getting short, but I’m still getting so many eggs from these little peckers

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I installed a non-lovely webcam in our DuckHouse.

We're also adding some dividers that the ducks seem to like. The brooder can also be a heater, but I'd rather not run it unless it gets ridiculous cold.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

freeedr posted:

Days are getting short, but I’m still getting so many eggs from these little peckers

lucky. our only pullet to start laying this year has stopped after going broody. i expect lots of tiny eggs come spring!

Yooper posted:

I installed a non-lovely webcam in our DuckHouse.

We're also adding some dividers that the ducks seem to like. The brooder can also be a heater, but I'd rather not run it unless it gets ridiculous cold.

that's awesome!

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

the birds :swoon:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

fanciest pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk