Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

knuthgrush posted:

well to play devil's advocate: was that dude like new new or had you just not seen him before? maybe he was kinda panicked? an example from my first actual class:

the way the gym i'm at now is set up you start with a free private lesson to talk you through stuff and then you come back later for a normal group class. my first roll in group class (we had warmups and drills first) some dude caught me in some weird heavy pressure and i just took to swinging out of panic (i have some trauma related to physical encounters). clobbered him pretty good. obviously i was stopped and he was cool because he was an upper belt and a regular mma fighter. strangest part about my encounter is the coach made me roll him again.

anyway, from your description he sounded deliberate rather than freaked out so i probably would've tried to hurt him as well. that really sucks.

that's good stuff! judo looks so cool in practice!

The guy had def been on the mat. But he was inexperienced, when I turned up the pace you could tell in his face he wasn't used to it. I've had one other experience with someone trying to literally fight me before, but then that guy apologized and told me his wife was divorcing him and he had just found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I’ve been taught (citation needed) that there’s a cluster of nerves on the back of the neck and that if you hit it right while you’ve got a collar tie or you’re in a thai clinch it makes the other guy kinda dizzy. He did it to me a bunch of times and I definitely felt… something. Hard to describe. A slight dizziness, combined with him constantly trying to break my posture.

My source is a mid-level MMA fighter who did a bunch of TMAs when he was young. He was the kind of guy who could throw people with aikido-style wristlocks and it would work because he could wrestle, too.

But he also wasn’t clubbing my neck from a mile off or anything. His hand barely left the neck. A BJJ ref wouldn’t think it looked like a strike.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I feel conflicted getting a Flo subscription. On the one hand its a great recon tool for checking out your opponents prior to a tournament, gettings news in the BJJ world with interviews and of course ADCC, F2W, etc. On the other hand Im paying $100 for the year TO WATCH THIS poo poo WITH COMMERCIALS :mad:

Sherbert Hoover posted:

If someone doesn't know how to not take something too seriously and throw a fit by the time they're an adult it's not really anyone else's responsibility anymore.

This is basically how i feel now as well.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I feel conflicted getting a Flo subscription. On the one hand its a great recon tool for checking out your opponents prior to a tournament, gettings news in the BJJ world with interviews and of course ADCC, F2W, etc. On the other hand Im paying $100 for the year TO WATCH THIS poo poo WITH COMMERCIALS :mad:

This is basically how i feel now as well.

I wish I didn't get a flo sub fwiw.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
5.5 yrs later I finally get my belt mummy

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Heyyyyy look at that! Congrats man

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Vashro posted:

Congrats. Purple is definitely an interesting phase.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

congarts

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Vashro posted:

:mummyface:

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Grats!

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

Congrats!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

It's the belt mummy a BJJ thing generally or just in this thread?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I was wondering the same thing and there's like no results at all for it so I'm guessing it's this thread.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
this thread is the only place i've seen it. it's good for people to share their achievements with their online friends without going baitface and a good tradition in general.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Vashro posted:

ayeee

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

Vashro posted:

Congraaaaats! Toe hold everyone!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Vashro posted:

Noice

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The belt mummy is an ancient martial tradition that I started by accident in about 2012

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Vashro posted:

:mummyface::mummyface::mummyface:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goongrats

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Nice! :mummyface:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Congrats!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I had a white belt student ask me why it was called neon belly. I had to explain it was actually "knee" on belly. Got a good kick out of that very meta situation.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Vashro posted:

Hell yeah! My coaches think the "which belt is best belt?" might just be purple, so enjoy it and congrats!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hell yeah! My coaches think the "which belt is best belt?" might just be purple, so enjoy it and congrats!

White belt was the best belt because it came with no expectations :P

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

I had a white belt student ask me why it was called neon belly. I had to explain it was actually "knee" on belly. Got a good kick out of that very meta situation.

haha nothing is literal anymore.

I just had my instructor completely tear down how I was doing knee on belly, and rebuild it with some concepts I wasnt really aware of.

1. Knee across the centerline is stronger than knee in the solarplex because across the centerline is controlling the hips rather than inflicting pain. Across the solarplex will get them on their side though rather than pinning.
2. Knee across the centerline and foot tucked tight against the hip so any underhooking of the foot to off balance is difficult to drat near impossible.
3. Knee on belly can control the action of turtling when passing your opponent into side control when you place the knee on the hip and slide it across (this actually works really well even against heavyweights).
4. Have to pull on the head (lifting it off the ground) and pants near the hip to control your opponent. If the head cant move, neither will his body.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

haha nothing is literal anymore.

I just had my instructor completely tear down how I was doing knee on belly, and rebuild it with some concepts I wasnt really aware of.

1. Knee across the centerline is stronger than knee in the solarplex because across the centerline is controlling the hips rather than inflicting pain. Across the solarplex will get them on their side though rather than pinning.
2. Knee across the centerline and foot tucked tight against the hip so any underhooking of the foot to off balance is difficult to drat near impossible.
3. Knee on belly can control the action of turtling when passing your opponent into side control when you place the knee on the hip and slide it across (this actually works really well even against heavyweights).
4. Have to pull on the head (lifting it off the ground) and pants near the hip to control your opponent. If the head cant move, neither will his body.

yes, my coach teaches it as a control position the same way, pinning their pelvis to the mat. No one in a competition is going to be that bothered by a knee actually on the belly.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Also you have to be in a low stance, with your hips close to the ground and the kneeling leg’s hammy touching the calf, if you have high hips and space under your legs they can get you in a backside heel hook or at least stuck in 50/50 in a matter of seconds if they know what they doing

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Across the hips is great. I think the old school solar plexus version of knee-on-belly only works in gi, you need something to pull on to stay stable.

The hips version is a sick control position that allows you to stay really light and mobile and follow them around. I like to use it against bigger opponents while I chase their back.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Even in the gi I just grab for the back of the head/neck instead of a lapel in neon belly. But the gi does add a lot of friction.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

Even in the gi I just grab for the back of the head/neck instead of a lapel in neon belly. But the gi does add a lot of friction.

Some guys (myself included) do not lift their head off the ground when they're on their back in side control. They will literally pin their head to the ground. Same goes for when someone has them mounted. You cant bridge if your head is off the ground. Pulling on the lapel will help lift it, no matter if he tried to pin the back of his head to the ground, or not.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 2, 2021

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
We always learned to alternate between surfing cross body for control and driving the knee to encourage movement and wear on the opponent.

Always thought that was a pretty standard thing?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, I'm being asked more and more to do warm ups; what are some recommended "skills based" warm ups and games for adults, white to purple belt classes with a mix of people in terms of size, strength, athleticism, skill, etc.

For example, we like to split the class up into, say, four groups of four or five people and do "king of the mat" with open guard pass or sweep, or , more rarely, the same thing with takedowns.

My gym really REALLY needs more standing/take down work, so anything that can be a fairly safe, fairly unintimidating introduction to fundamentals of standing grips, posture breaks, basic throws (mostly trips??) Would be just perfect.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

We always learned to alternate between surfing cross body for control and driving the knee to encourage movement and wear on the opponent.

That's how I do it. I drive the knee when looking for the finish, especially against big guys, especially in gi.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

That kind of mount similar to "knee on belly" is what Danaher calls shin mount and its very effective. Gotta keep elbow and knee together too (as usual)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Its weird. Some schools teach knee on belly as literally knee on the belly/solarplex and others teach it as a method of control for the hips. Ive seen people practice both.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

I would only knee on sternum if I wanted them to turn in or I hate them. Shin mount is more stable

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Last night I hit a beautiful osoto gari on one our black belts. If it was on the street Im not sure he would have been moving. I think I knocked the air out of him with it. My coach looks at him and goes "you ok??" Anyway, I landed in really weird position where he had control of my near side leg even though I was still on top of him. When he came up it was like he was in a leg drag position. He made my life hell for the next few minutes. It was one of those "Im in the ocean and stuck under the wave and cant breathe" moments :nyd:

Vashro posted:

I would only knee on sternum if I wanted them to turn in or I hate them. Shin mount is more stable

Yeah its great for getting them to move.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I separate the two into knee on belly and shin on belly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, I'm being asked more and more to do warm ups; what are some recommended "skills based" warm ups and games for adults, white to purple belt classes with a mix of people in terms of size, strength, athleticism, skill, etc.

For example, we like to split the class up into, say, four groups of four or five people and do "king of the mat" with open guard pass or sweep, or , more rarely, the same thing with takedowns.

My gym really REALLY needs more standing/take down work, so anything that can be a fairly safe, fairly unintimidating introduction to fundamentals of standing grips, posture breaks, basic throws (mostly trips??) Would be just perfect.

I don't like warmups normally, but there was one instructor at my last gym that always started the class with 2 minutes of back to back SLOW single legs. You do a slow and low single leg, help your partner up, and then they do one to you. Then 2 minutes of back to back slow throws, or double legs, and then that's it. The next part of the warm up was the coolest though, you and your partner go into the position that will be taught in class, and do 2 minutes of one person on top and one on bottom of escape or submit. And then he would teach the moves, and before we rolled at the end of class we would do that exercise again so you could do whatever it is. So if the move was like a heel hook, it would be one person tries to escape the heel hook and the other submits, while going relatively slow because it's a warm up. Then when he taught the move(s), you would already have in your mind all of the weaknesses and where the move will help you and you do it again.