Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

SkunkDuster posted:

If it is just a few, I'd recommend doing a google search on "laser cutting" and "laser engraving" + "your town"

Where is the fun though????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Unless they let me use the laser of course.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
They usually won't let you. Not even if you say pretty please with sugar on top :(.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Now I'm buying a laser cutter. Thanks thread.

(Not buying it today, but now it's on the list.)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My local neighborhood hardware store just became a Milwaukee dealer :buddy:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

My local neighborhood hardware store just became a Milwaukee dealer :buddy:

One of mine is too, and their pricing absolutely sucks.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

I'm mainly excited that I'll have a good selection of name brand blades and bits from them now. Even if it's marked up pretty high it'll still beat having to jump on the interstate for an hour round trip when I discover I need something in the middle of a project

Before I had to decide to make the drive to Home Depot or settle for whatever weird crappy brand they would have locally.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

had to home depot and there were a shitload of people there for the power tool mix and match deals. i summoned my willpower and kept moving. i havent chosen a team yet and the selection fatigue might have killed me.

edit: i wish ego made more hand tools

The Saucer Hovers fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 1, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm mainly excited that I'll have a good selection of name brand blades and bits from them now. Even if it's marked up pretty high it'll still beat having to jump on the interstate for an hour round trip when I discover I need something in the middle of a project

Before I had to decide to make the drive to Home Depot or settle for whatever weird crappy brand they would have locally.

Yeah. the pricing sucks at the local True Value compared to driving in to the city, but it's ~70 minutes and two gallons of gas and change to get to anywhere else. When you factor that in they're a bargain for any little one-off thing you need.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

tracecomplete posted:

Now I'm buying a laser cutter. Thanks thread.

(Not buying it today, but now it's on the list.)

Why get a laser cutter when you can get a laser cutter CNC router combo? I've never used this one but it looks pretty good from the youtube videos I've watched.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Saucer Hovers posted:

had to home depot and there were a shitload of people there for the power tool mix and match deals. i summoned my willpower and kept moving. i havent chosen a team yet and the selection fatigue might have killed me.

edit: i wish ego made more hand tools

you mean like hand power tools or un-powered hand tools?

I am an absolute hooligan because I run EGO branded lawn tools (weed-eater, hedge trimmer), have a Porter-Cable Drill/Driver battery set, and for everything else I've started buying into the Milwaukee brand (Impact, Ratchet, OMT, rotary tool).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
When I moved into our house there was an old pair of good size channel lock pliers and a nice large 5lb hammer. The 8 foot wooden A frame ladder will get burned as I don't even trust giving it away since it's a wobbly mfer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

Mine is split pretty evenly between "same as HD", "more expensive than HD", and "less expensive than HD" for Milwaukee. Anything same or cheaper is a win because they're closer and they have a rewards program, but they also don't carry as much stuff.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

SkunkDuster posted:

Why get a laser cutter when you can get a laser cutter CNC router combo? I've never used this one but it looks pretty good from the youtube videos I've watched.

get out of my headwallet, charlesskunkduster

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mine is split pretty evenly between "same as HD", "more expensive than HD", and "less expensive than HD" for Milwaukee. Anything same or cheaper is a win because they're closer and they have a rewards program, but they also don't carry as much stuff.

Mine's a Festool dealer.

I have not been strong.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

you mean like hand power tools or un-powered hand tools?

I am an absolute hooligan because I run EGO branded lawn tools (weed-eater, hedge trimmer), have a Porter-Cable Drill/Driver battery set, and for everything else I've started buying into the Milwaukee brand (Impact, Ratchet, OMT, rotary tool).

id have been better off saying non-lawn and garden tool or something. wish they made smaller batteries and the tools to go with them.

the only serious power tool i own is a foredom rotary tool. im starting from scratch to the impulse to match batteries is strong.

had to google this ooooh ma ma

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I bought a table with a lot of holes in it and a great tilty rail for my track saw and I'm in love and we're getting married in March.

I am at peace.

EDIT: in love with the MFT, sorry if that wasn't clear

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 2, 2021

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Verman posted:

When I moved into our house there was an old pair of good size channel lock pliers and a nice large 5lb hammer. The 8 foot wooden A frame ladder will get burned as I don't even trust giving it away since it's a wobbly mfer.

Painters I knew called those widowmakers.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Can I get ID on a couple of tools?

Is this just an attachment to a shop vac?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKZEMPwEYCQ&t=30s
What's this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKZEMPwEYCQ&t=589s

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
looks like a jointer to me

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can I get ID on a couple of tools?

Is this just an attachment to a shop vac?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKZEMPwEYCQ&t=30s

Pretty sure that's a standard brush shop vac attachment cleaning sawdust off the side of the night stand.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

fins posted:

looks like a jointer to me

It's this with an adjustable fence.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

Any of the open bed "Laser cutters" are at best laser engravers, and also at least as if not more likely to destroy the vision of you, a family member, or a pet rather than actually do meaningful work with the laser. I've heard the combo machines like that are okay as babby's first CNC router but only just barely.
If you want a laser cutter that can cut through anything thicker than paper in a reasonable period of time, they start at a few grand and are enclosed.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Wanderless posted:

Any of the open bed "Laser cutters" are at best laser engravers, and also at least as if not more likely to destroy the vision of you, a family member, or a pet rather than actually do meaningful work with the laser. I've heard the combo machines like that are okay as babby's first CNC router but only just barely.
If you want a laser cutter that can cut through anything thicker than paper in a reasonable period of time, they start at a few grand and are enclosed.

I have no doubt you are right. I work with a laser engraving shop that has exactly the enclosed few grand laser cutter you are describing and they do excellent work. Still, that one I posted looks like it would be a good entry level unit for a hobbyist for woodburning or etching. I've never personally used the one I linked, but, for the price and reviews on youtube, it seems like a good starting kit to get your feet wet and decide if you want to want to advance to a better machine down the road.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

16 years on SA and I still can't figure out the difference between edit and quote.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Anyone have some recommendations on good tool YouTube channels? Preferably discussing new tools.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Just in case anyone needed a good laugh today:

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Literally A Person posted:

The best part is how the smoke is so laden with heavy carcinogens that it pours out and flows down the table like yellow-brown death milk.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Also trying to touch it with a bare hand. Why would that be the first instinct?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Verman posted:

Also trying to touch it with a bare hand. Why would that be the first instinct?

The number of times I've been burned by grabbing a piece of hot metal would seem to indicate the stupidness is an inbuilt part of the human brain.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I prefer my end to come swift and by super-sonic shrapnel, not some exciting form of cancer years down the line by means of tasty, tasty toxic smoke, but to each their own I guess.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The number of times I've been burned by grabbing a piece of hot metal would seem to indicate the stupidness is an inbuilt part of the human brain.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wasn't this thread saying "harbor freight angle grinders are fiiinnnneeeee" like 2 pages ago?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CommonShore posted:

wasn't this thread saying "harbor freight angle grinders are fiiinnnneeeee" like 2 pages ago?

If you change out the grease in the right angle drive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommonShore posted:

You missed the gigantic asterisk that this person didn't see also.

You need to open them up and remove the "grease" and casting swarf and grinding contamination out of them. It's just horrid. All of it.

Then put actual real grease back in there and they are likely to last for a very long time.

e: I believe the term I used for what they put in there as a substitute for grease was "chinese gutter honey", because it's definitely not any kind of grease I'm familiar with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m not looking forward to the day my reflexes are no longer good enough to get away with this.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Cool, a smoke machine!

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Speaking of angle grinders, are there any wheels/discs that are especially good for working on contoured surfaces without immediately flattening them? I was trying to smooth out a cast iron surface (horn of small anvil) but I found that the flap disc just immediately put flat spots into it, and a braided wire wheel wasn't quite aggressive enough.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I probably know the answer to this already, but are there any good cheap mini CNC tables that can handle making aluminum / steel parts that would fit bicycles / cars? Like making brackets or adapters etc. There are some sub $200 ones on places like Banggood etc, but yeah.

I mean the Creality 3D printer I got from there was very good, and I have no complaints... but this is a whole other level.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've mentioned Direct tools outlet a few times since I've gotten a few Ryobi batteries and tools from them. They're having a 25% off sale on ryobi with some items coming with a free electrostatic sprayer (seems to be for spraying liquids for disinfection and cleaning). Shipping is $9.99:

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/Products/c/1?q=:relevance:brand:RYOBIONE%252B&text=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

HolHorsejob posted:

Speaking of angle grinders, are there any wheels/discs that are especially good for working on contoured surfaces without immediately flattening them? I was trying to smooth out a cast iron surface (horn of small anvil) but I found that the flap disc just immediately put flat spots into it, and a braided wire wheel wasn't quite aggressive enough.

You could try a less aggressive (higher numbered) grit flap disk. You usually see them at like 36 or 40 grit, try an 80 grit or higher.

You could also get Scotch Brite wheels or "rust removal" pads that look like a rough rock-hard sponge. Or get a backer pad and resin sandpaper disks and higher grit paper. All this stuff is usually in-stock at your local blue/orange store. There's a lot more grinder wheels than the go-to "grinding disk, cutting disk, flap disk, wire wheel". Legit ones from real manufacturers, not goofy Amazon poo poo.

Also technique- you can have a really light touch with an angle grinder if you try.