Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kater posted:

so when do I start being concerned about breathing through polyester or whatever the gently caress for 8 hours a day?

Meltblown polypropylene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fallom posted:

How do people come up with this poo poo

Off ramp has long been a phrase meaning to exit a plan instead of maintaining the course. It shows up a lot in project management

Yeah, people are putting way to much thought in to deciphering how the term showed up. Nobody strategized it or came up with a new term. It’s a common term and is even being used correctly for the context. The reason they all are using it at once is because it probably was used by whoever was writing and distributing the talking points.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
cases go up cases go down you can’t explain that

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The problem is they continue to focus on getting rid of COVID mitigation measures instead of focusing on getting rid of COVID. Any off ramp for masks should be tied exclusively to how prevalent COVID is or isn’t in the community.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Koirhor posted:

cases go up cases go down you can’t explain that

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The sign above the off ramp says Hell

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Where’s the offramp for global warming? Is the government going to keep moving the flood hazard line inland forever?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Thoguh posted:

The problem is they continue to focus on getting rid of COVID mitigation measures instead of focusing on getting rid of COVID. Any off ramp for masks should be tied exclusively to how prevalent COVID is or isn’t in the community.

just to reiterate—they never thought covid was a big deal to begin with, infinitely so now that there is a vaccine.

they absolutely never ever discuss the sickness and death from covid. never, not once. it does not exist in their world. to them, NPIs are pure theater.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Where’s the offramp for global warming? Is the government going to keep moving the flood hazard line inland forever?

No off ramp, the road will just be on fire, covered in several feet of water, or frozen depending on where you live and what time of year

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1455490141540204549?t=LXxG1sFg_Wat65bibVS0Mw&s=19

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1455271151358382081?t=ig0SAFVR2DG261-vuA8yaA&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Are airplanes and airports really a particular hotbed of infections?

What even is matter? :2bong:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

mod sassinator posted:

it all could have been prevented if we just buckled down and gave a drat collectively for two months. it could have stopped in march - may 2020 with a real lockdown, like china did. or it probably could have stopped this summer from may to july if we didn't burn the masks for vaccinated folks and got proactively ahead of boosters.

but nope, it's loving covid forever because people needed their brunch and rich folks were saved by medicine and their concierge doctors

Would it not have been waiting to cross back over since it has an animal reservoir ?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

I guess the thing I left out when I made my effortpost the other day about how you can crush COVID without necessarily doing "the full China" is that all of the mask mandates and social distancing and school shutdowns and no-indoor-dining policies have to be put in place until the number of active cases hits zero, and then another month on top of that, and you can't ever let go of your travel quarantine restrictions

like, there's any number of countries that were on the correct glidepath for "beating COVID", but nobody has the stones to really stick with the policies for as long as they need to

the two-week lag time really fucks with political systems that can't plan day-to-day

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol:

They're conducting drug testing at my work today. Hopefully I'm not selected :rznv:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

HHS Data for ICU Occupancy since 8/20

Critical Staffing Shortage
Yes: This is always 950-1000 and 1050-1100 saying yes within 7 days. I will update if it varies more than that.
No: This is always 3950-4050. I will update if it varies more than that.
DId not report: This is always ~1120. I will update if it varies more.

“ICU adults Confirmed and suspected COVID = 12707 (+30 from yesterday)”
“Total Adults Hospitalized C&S Covid =47129” (-100
“Total Pediatric Hospitalized C&S Covid =1,381” (+31)

ALL TIME HIGH/TIE FOR ATH
NH 86%

30 DAY HIGH
7 DAY HIGH
NC: 82% (It's been at 82% for 5 days)

ALL TIME LOW
DE 77%
SC 72%
VT 64% (not sure I buy a 22% decrease in 4 days)

30 Day LOW
OK: 81%
PA 78%
OH/WV/IA 76%
WY: 57%
7 Day Low
KY: 83%
CO: 82%
MA 79%
MO/NE 78%
MT 76%
KS 73%
UT 71%
WA 69%

FLU Hospitalizations, ICU levels and Deaths (its on the same tracker)
Hospitalized: 456
ICU: 42
Deaths: 3

HHS Data for ICU Occupancy since 8/20

Critical Staffing Shortage
Yes: This is always 950-1000 and 1050-1100 saying yes within 7 days. I will update if it varies more than that.

“ICU adults Confirmed and suspected COVID = 12530 (-180)
“Total Adults Hospitalized C&S Covid =46764” (-400)
“Total Pediatric Hospitalized C&S Covid =1,290” (-100)

ALL TIME HIGH

30 DAY HIGH
7 DAY HIGH
NC 82%
ALL TIME LOW
TX 83%
ME/FL 72%
WA 68%
30 Day LOW
OK 80%
WV 76%
OH 74%
WY 52%
NJ 44%

7 Day Low
AL 83%
CO 82%
MI 80%
MA/MO 78%
AK 77%
CA 85%
MT 74%
IN/KS/VA 72%
HI 70%
UT 69%
AZ 63%
FLU Hospitalizations, ICU levels and Deaths (its on the same tracker)
Hospitalized: 426 (-30)
ICU: 41 (-1)
Deaths: 2 (-1)

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1455512813590482951?s=20

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Philippines update:

COVID is over!!!

Context:

- as of Oct 25, there were 47.7k tests conducted, with a 9.0% positivity rate

- as of Oct 26, there were 35.2k tests conducted, with an 8.5% positivity rate

- as of Oct 30, there were 50.7k tests conducted, with a 7.8% positivity rate

- as of Nov 2:
seven-day average for new cases is 3,854 cases/day
there are currently 40,786 recorded active COVID cases
there were 29.6k tests conducted, with a 6.8% positivity rate
Manila has been 18 days out from when COVID restrictions were eased on Oct 15

Genuine question from a v dumb poster: what’s seasonality like in the Philippines, does this dropoff correlate with a mellowing of temperatures or anything like that

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

the replies are full of soooo much cope lmfao

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/jason_woron/status/1455495610094686216

wow, 350 cases... now to take a big sip of water and look at the US case count

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gradenko_2000 posted:

I guess the thing I left out when I made my effortpost the other day about how you can crush COVID without necessarily doing "the full China" is that all of the mask mandates and social distancing and school shutdowns and no-indoor-dining policies have to be put in place until the number of active cases hits zero, and then another month on top of that, and you can't ever let go of your travel quarantine restrictions

like, there's any number of countries that were on the correct glidepath for "beating COVID", but nobody has the stones to really stick with the policies for as long as they need to

the two-week lag time really fucks with political systems that can't plan day-to-day

The PMC will not accept travel quarantine forever. Even if community transmission has eliminated and it’s the only restriction that remains, they will slam that ‘betray’ button on society’s most vulnerable every time.

Do not, my friends, become addicted to jet travel. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/atothe_d/status/1453874170207653890?s=21

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Iron Crowned posted:

They're conducting drug testing at my work today. Hopefully I'm not selected :rznv:

did someone snitch to HR?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Asproigerosis posted:

No, but it just... I can't fathom the idea of just moving somewhere without a job in hand first. Going through the massive expense of moving without any garauntee of income. The trope in media is always about moving because of a job, not moving for whatever reason then figuring out the whole job income thing later.

So what's involved in getting licensed in the new state? Is it something you can do while you are in your current job? Are there reciprocity agreements available?

If you aren't allowed to perform the work they hired you for if you don't have a license, and it takes a long time to get licensed in their state, then their reluctance to offer a job and pay you while you get your licensing in order makes a little more sense.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Tell them it's HIPPO

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Business Gorillas posted:

tbh the angriest i get is when i think about how just utterly feckless and weak these slugs are. just constant mewling over the offense of being asked to give a poo poo about another human being for ~30 minutes in a store.

nobody likes wearing a mask. i wear a mask not only to keep myself safe, but to keep you safe as well, you loving worm

it's been extremely telling that the loudest voices in the "we need a mask offramp" conversation are wealthy writers who have their groceries delivered and whose only daily requirement to wear a mask is when they walk from the door of a restaurant to their table.

if a guy stocking shelves or cleaning bathrooms wants to complain about having to wear a mask all day, i'll cut him a lot of slack, but i don't loving want to hear it from amanda and matty.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

it begins

happy holidays!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

https://twitter.com/atothe_d/status/1455407300433354753?t=PBmxM8VMQ-4IL5p3Q0xbuQ&s=19
Lmao

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also if the new buzzphrase is "covid off ramp" that just shows that their meme game is super weak because that's old as hell

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Riot posted:

Genuine question from a v dumb poster: what’s seasonality like in the Philippines, does this dropoff correlate with a mellowing of temperatures or anything like that

it's a hot and dry summer starting in March, peaking in April, and winding down in June

it's frequent-rains-and-typhoon season starting July through November

it gets less rainy in December and starts getting cooler in general (noting that "cold, wear-a-jacket weather" for us is like 25C), with the coldest part of the year being around January/February

I don't think seasonality played a big part in this surge or its drawdown: Delta arrived in the country, spread rapidly, and the government refused to increase restrictions until it was way too late. The restrictions did finally get put in halfway through August, and the official policies, combined with The Fear as we got more and more coverage of hospitals getting completely slammed, eventually got people to clam up and hunker down

like, you can see in that chart that we also had a surge in late March through April, and that was at the peak of summer, and AFAIK that was "just" Alpha variant - and it happened because cases were at a lull from January through February and the government just OPENED ER UP and didn't want to shut down again until it was way too late (again)

the clock is basically ticking on cases shooting up again - we've never dropped our mask mandate ever, but restaurants are open again, public gatherings are happening again, malls are packed, etc. etc.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/Vanessa_ABee/status/1455513949202432002

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sonatinas posted:

did someone snitch to HR?

They haven't had one in two years, so I think HR just decided it was a really good idea.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

on site drug testing for an office job? Good lord

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

yeah wtf, in automotive the only drug tests are when you get hired. its seen as an idiot test, in that if you are white collar, you should be able to not smoke weed while job searching, and failing to do so is bad. thats nonsense of course but its the current mindset

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lil poopendorfer posted:

on site drug testing for an office job? Good lord

"Random" building wide, so it's the office and the shop.

Technically we could possibly win a federal contract at some point, and apparently it's a requirement.

Edit:

The current state of my department, I feel like I could possibly pop positive for everything ever, and they'd just turn their head, and pretend I didn't

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
At the absolute peak of our Delta surge (Sept 12, 2021), the Philippines was registering an average of 20,900 cases/day.

Adjusted for population, that would be like if the US was getting 62,500 cases/day. Worldometers says the current seven-day-average for the US is 68,900 cases/day

As of today, we're at about 3,800 cases/day. Adjusted for population, that would be like if the US was getting 11,300 cases/day. The US hasn't been at that level since like March 25, 2020, though you did get close once during the June 2021 lull.

Another way to look at it is that our 43,400 official death toll is proportionally equal to if only 129,800 Americans had died of COVID as of today.

This is not to say that Duterte's handling of the pandemic is "good", but relativity is a hell of a thing.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah wtf, in automotive the only drug tests are when you get hired. its seen as an idiot test, in that if you are white collar, you should be able to not smoke weed while job searching, and failing to do so is bad. thats nonsense of course but its the current mindset

for industrial stuff I guess it makes some sense, idk if there's any supporting data on it reducing workplace injuries. The justification I've always heard is "we get a better rate on insurance"

But coming to the office randomly and collecting your urine is big 2003 vibes

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Technically we could possibly win a federal contract at some point, and apparently it's a requirement.

certain federal agencies aren't even drug testing new hires right now lol

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

ahh makes sense

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Platystemon posted:

I think you'll find that global warming is already here, we'll need an off-ramp for global warming mitigations, and focus on adaptation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Iron Crowned posted:

They haven't had one in two years, so I think HR just decided it was a really good idea.

HR heard you and saw you, when you wanted people to get tested before returning to the office.