Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

tenderjerk posted:

Xi has not left China since March 2019

President Xi is the leader we need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

it begins

happy holidays!

kind of looks like when you're driving on the highway and take an exit to go in a different direction, if you use your imagination. high metaphor potential here

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Delta isn't done until every state goes through what florida did.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Salt Fish posted:

Delta isn't done until every state goes through what florida did.

Banning masks and obscuring the death toll :hai:

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Even with the numbers trending downward, I don't think the hospitals are okay.

I live in a major city in Texas. Last weekend, my friend broke her elbow BADLY (spoilering the gnarly details because, from my non-medical point of view, it's not mind safe: She said she could see the bone about to poke through her skin! I am not a medical professional but her x-ray seems to show that her ulna has completely broken off very close to the "elbow side," or at least like the ulna split off, almost like a v-shaped chunk was taken out of the elbow? Her ulna (on the longer broken-off side, closer to the elbow) has this pointy edge which could be what she saw almost poking through her skin. Again, I am obviously not a doctor so I probably screwed up this description horribly and I apologize if it was incoherent). She has had surgery rescheduled three times at the last minute now and has been in the hospital for multiple days. I have to imagine a break this severe would usually warrant more immediate treatment but the medical system is so overwhelmed.

EDIT: Guh, someone already quoted me. I looked at the x-ray again and (I think?) corrected my description of what I saw, but I honestly have no idea. It could be the original thing I thought I saw, the second thing that I now think it could be, or something completely different since I clearly have no business looking at x-rays.

EDIT 2: I just found out that my friend will not get surgery on her broken elbow until this upcoming Thursday, a good 4-5 days after the above not-mind-safe injury!... She's already been in the hospital since at least Sunday, fasting multiple times only to be told the surgery had to be postponed! And who knows, the hospital might very well have to postpone her surgery again! To be clear, I don't blame the hospital or the staff in the slightest--I have family working in the medical field and I am completely certain that everyone is trying their best to take care of patients and making impossible decisions in this very trying time.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 2, 2021

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

McNugget Buddy posted:

:siren: Pfizer Q3 earnings report dropped:

https://s21.q4cdn.com/317678438/files/doc_financials/2021/q3/Q3-2021-Earnings-Charts-FINAL.pdf

Their updated projections:

-Oral protease inhibitor will get EUA in first half of 2022
-Pfizer vaccine for kids age 2-5 will get EUA in first half of 2022
-Pfizer vaccine for kids under 2 will get EUA in second half of 2022

Any mention of a Delta-specific booster has MYSTERIOUSLY DISSAPEARED from their forecast and isn't mentioned in the presentation at all

No new data on how the current boosters hold up over time

Relevant slides, showing the 10 mcg dose works as well in kids as the 30 mcg dose does in older teens against Wild Type:

gently caress, I had been going the kids under 2 EUA would be happening way sooner than that.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Wife got boosted yesterday at a CVS. They have one of those makeshift testing stations in the parking lot.

Pharmacist getting ready to administer the shot: "It was crazy, someone came up to the counter a few minutes ago with no mask and was coughing their lungs out. They said they thought they had Covid and we told them to go outside to the testing station."

My wife: :stare:

Pharmacist: "Ok, now just wait here for 15 minutes so we can monitor you"

Wife: :yikes:

Hoping the protective blessings of the 3M Aura keep her safe.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Platystemon posted:

You could call them up and ask.

Retail customer service may be a hell of phone menus, wait times, and outsourced operators with no power to do anything, but business to business types are happy to take your calls and sell you stuff.

Tell them you ordered a box for evaluation purposes and that it got cancelled. Maybe they’ll tell you they don’t have the stock or maybe they’ll ask for a work address.

It’s ok, my order was just updated to shipped and I was concerned over nothing.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

lmao no national priority, welp gg everyone

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I did not have to piss in a cup or blow in a tube today :wooper:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Thoguh posted:

gently caress, I had been going the kids under 2 EUA would be happening way sooner than that.

same. what. ugh.

hoping it's a conservative projection for financial purposes. :smith:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

legsarerequired posted:

I live in a major city in Texas. Last weekend, my friend broke her elbow BADLY (spoilering the gnarly details because, from my non-medical point of view, it's not mind safe: she said she could see the bone about to poke through her skin! I am not a medical professional but her x-ray seems to show a gnarly v-shaped split in the "outside corner" of her ulna (or at least what I think is her ulna). I think her ulna kind of split and it's new "branch" is what's almost poking through her skin. Again, I am obviously not a doctor so I probably screwed up this description horribly). She has had surgery rescheduled three times at the last minute now and has been in the hospital for multiple days. I have to imagine a break this severe would usually warrant more immediate treatment but the medical system is so overwhelmed.

Yeah, all the people with mild or moderate problems avoided hospitals during the delta surge. Now they’re rushing in and their issues have become severe.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Thoguh posted:

BeHealthyUSA has been sold out of Bluna facefits for a while do I just ordered some Aura 9205+ masks from Home Depot. $2/mask isn’t great, but I don’t go through masks very quickly so the 30 I just ordered should last a while.

i just got a 20 pack of blunas from this eBay seller last week. ordered Tuesday, had em by Friday.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Insanite posted:

same. what. ugh.

hoping it's a conservative projection for financial purposes. :smith:

My kid hits six months in early February and I had definitely been hoping that the six month to two year EUA would be in place by then. We have been able to figure out how to keep her out of daycare until January and if an EUA was close would have called in favors from the grandparents to make the six month mark but I don’t see a reasonable way to keep her home until late next year unless me or my wife quit our jobs. Guess I’ll get to have half a year of hoping she doesn’t get COVID at daycare.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you think Thoguh is going back to KF94s after experiencing the Aura

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

I did not have to piss in a cup or blow in a tube today :wooper:

Hell yeah.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Thoguh posted:

My kid hits six months in early February and I had definitely been hoping that the six month to two year EUA would be in place by then. We have been able to figure out how to keep her out of daycare until January and if an EUA was close would have called in favors from the grandparents to make the six month mark but I don’t see a reasonable way to keep her home until late next year unless me or my wife quit our jobs. Guess I’ll get to have half a year of hoping she doesn’t get COVID at daycare.

i have a >2yo, so it's still hopefully a shot by end of january, but even that's going to be a struggle while we're within a winter peak in an NPI-less society.

i hate the pediatric vax poo poo so, so deeply. definitely not exhausting at all worrying that my kid will be subject to parkinson's or early dementia or diabetes or whatnot. much better than rolling the dice on a ~~rushed~~ vaccine.

re: auras--just had a bunch arrive. those things are no joke. v. nice.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
meanwhile I went to vote at a, at best, marginally-safe polling place and there were four couples in line with their unmasked 9 year olds

only my respirator trust and also these poor kids uhhnghhghh

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Getting my booster today, ready to develop mariokartitis. "Let's a go," as mario famously says

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1455556835667165185

quote:

Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronaviruses 1 (SARS-CoV) and 2 (SARS-CoV-2), including SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern, can cause deadly infections. The mortality associated with sarbecovirus infection underscores the importance of developing broadly effective countermeasures against them, which could be key in the prevention and mitigation of current and future zoonotic events. Here, we demonstrate the neutralization of SARS-CoV, bat coronaviruses WIV-1, RsSHC014, and SARS-CoV-2 variants D614G, B.1.1.7, B.1.351, P.1, B.1.429, B.1.526, B.1.617.1, and B.1.617.2 by a receptor-binding domain (RBD)-specific human antibody, DH1047. Prophylactic and therapeutic treatment with DH1047 was protective against SARS-CoV, WIV-1, RsSHC014, and SARS-CoV-2 B.1.351 infection in mice. Binding and structural analysis showed high affinity binding of DH1047 to an epitope that is highly conserved among sarbecoviruses. Thus, DH1047 is a broadly protective antibody that can prevent infection and mitigate outbreaks caused by SARS-related strains and SARS-CoV-2 variants. Our results also suggest that the conserved RBD epitope bound by DH1047 is a rational target for a universal sarbecovirus vaccine.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

That would be nice

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1455472635580751872

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

now that its chilly out theres nothing better than a warm mask to cover my precious face

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Suck and gently caress season starts earlier every year

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mistermojo posted:

now that its chilly out theres nothing better than a warm mask to cover my precious face

I'm looking forward to the enhanced protection against snow and ice provided by a full face respirator, last winter was a nothing burger

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
I was a test subject for glorious Novavax #1 top quality vaccine. l received shots in Jan/Feb and again in April/May (crossover trial). Does anyone have the slightest loving clue about the booster path for Novavax test subjects, or should I just yolo it and start a mRNA series? I ain't heard poo poo from Novavax/my test site.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Transcript of Pfizer's Q3 earnings call, regarding a 4th dose:

https://s21.q4cdn.com/317678438/files/doc_financials/2021/q3/Q3-2021-Earnings-Conference-Call-Prepared-Remarks-FINAL.pdf

quote:

We plan to monitor the participants in our clinical study, and at an appropriate time consider a randomized fourth dose booster study to document the impact of additional and possibly annual repeat vaccinations. This will be supplemented with real world evidence studies

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
the real treasure was the booster bandits we made along the way

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1455247194647314448?t=auhfwd_8Vpw6ilYP1sgJcQ&s=19

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

kater posted:

so when do I start being concerned about breathing through polyester or whatever the gently caress for 8 hours a day?

we've been wearing it, sleeping in it it, using it as underwear, putting our food in it, etc. for 60 years or so.. it's probably fine

probably

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1455473701240119300

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/ValleyReporter/status/1455568886158483458

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

legsarerequired posted:

I live in a major city in Texas. Last weekend, my friend broke her elbow BADLY (spoilering the gnarly details because, from my non-medical point of view, it's not mind safe: She said she could see the bone about to poke through her skin! I am not a medical professional but her x-ray seems to show that her ulna has completely broken off very close to the "elbow side," or at least like the ulna split off, almost like a v-shaped chunk was taken out of the elbow? Her ulna (on the longer broken-off side, closer to the elbow) has this pointy edge which could be what she saw almost poking through her skin. Again, I am obviously not a doctor so I probably screwed up this description horribly and I apologize if it was incoherent). She has had surgery rescheduled three times at the last minute now and has been in the hospital for multiple days. I have to imagine a break this severe would usually warrant more immediate treatment but the medical system is so overwhelmed.

EDIT: Guh, someone already quoted me. I looked at the x-ray again and (I think?) corrected my description of what I saw, but I honestly have no idea. It could be the original thing I thought I saw, the second thing that I now think it could be, or something completely different since I clearly have no business looking at x-rays.

numbers aren't trending down anymore, it's going to get worse. good luck :/

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Covid is over.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mod sassinator posted:

numbers aren't trending down anymore, it's going to get worse. good luck :/

Yeah, my advice to anyone foolish enough to ask me is "do whatever you can to stay out of the hospital"

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

McNugget Buddy posted:

:siren: Pfizer Q3 earnings report dropped:

https://s21.q4cdn.com/317678438/files/doc_financials/2021/q3/Q3-2021-Earnings-Charts-FINAL.pdf

Their updated projections:

-Oral protease inhibitor will get EUA in first half of 2022
-Pfizer vaccine for kids age 2-5 will get EUA in first half of 2022
-Pfizer vaccine for kids under 2 will get EUA in second half of 2022

Any mention of a Delta-specific booster has MYSTERIOUSLY DISSAPEARED from their forecast and isn't mentioned in the presentation at all

No new data on how the current boosters hold up over time

Relevant slides, showing the 10 mcg dose works as well in kids as the 30 mcg dose does in older teens against Wild Type:

yikes, that's an eyebrow raise at zero mention of a delta specific booster. maybe they can't do it...

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1455503073829347330

US: COVID is over

Also US: We need 614,000 more doses of life-saving medication please

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I know PPP loans are old news but I found someone at my college who got caught on insider trading charges got a $20k PPP loan for her one-person social media LLC. As far as I can tell, it's just her taking photos of herself expensive vacations and posting on social media with almost zero activity.

https://www.sec.gov/litigation/litreleases/2016/lr23652.htm
https://www.pppdetective.com/ppp/ny/new_york/sheren_tsai_2

Gotta means test everything to poor people, but gently caress it, give $20k to the securities fraud lady and her instagram account. Virtually all of it forgiven without repayment. Coolest system, best outcome.

DMCrimson fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 2, 2021

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mod sassinator posted:

yikes, that's an eyebrow raise at zero mention of a delta specific booster. maybe they can't do it...

There's no reason they shouldn't be able to, Delta's not magic or anything, they might just be having some delays.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

Would it even matter anyway - a Delta-specific booster would probably still take ~10 days to spin up t-cell memory once the antibodies have waned and you've already become symptomatic

I'm sure the antibodies would neutralize the virus better within the first few months of vaccination than the current Wild Type vaccines, but that might be the only difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

McNugget Buddy posted:

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1455503073829347330

US: COVID is over

Also US: We need 614,000 more doses of life-saving medication please

that seems way too low for what's coming

isn't bam bam useless now? i thought the variants after alpha had all mutated resistance to it