Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Oh god that is amazing. Do you happen to have a Hans Moleman minifig around? There would be no better fitting driver IMO.

I feel like Milhouse with his pony after Bart's Neuralizer in show and tell, but all I have is this trooper that I could put in our dia de muertos altar because tonight it's just the spirit of the children who cross over and so it's okay to put little toys in the altars for them to play with.

To the SUPER KIND person who is willing to send me their teal brick separator, I don't have PMs, can you email me at my username @gmail.com?

HAHA yeah my first snipe and it's appropiately lame-o. :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Went online to spend some expiring VIP points toward the bonsai tree, ended up with the Hedwig collector's edition, why are you like this, LEGO :(

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hello Legoons, I am on a mission for my kid, who absolutely loves lego (I also like lego but probably just the normal amount?).

They would really like to try building some lego things digitally, and was initially pointed to Lego Digital Designer, but we're finding that the out-of-the-box software seems to be missing some pretty regular pieces, and have now figured out it's basically no longer supported?

I remembered there was a lego thread, and came here to see what might be recommended. I did check the OP but it looks like that might be a little out of date so I'm not sure if the non-LDD offers there are still active/supported? I see people are posting some awesome renders and digital models, so I'd be very grateful if anyone can share what the best options are for a lego-minded 10-11 year old.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Stud.io seems to be the preferred program.
https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/download.page

I'd never done CAD before, but I found it pretty easy to pick up.

The goon Carbohydrates has a twitch channel and hosts design streams. He makes it look easy, but watching him would give you an idea of what the program can do.
https://www.twitch.tv/brickening

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Stud.IO and the lego first robotics leagues. (Many schools and libraries participate!)

NickThorn
Jan 11, 2005

I'm fucking wild about KEYKEYs.

Carbohydrates posted:

Behold the bizarrely rare 41630: Jack Skellington & Sally Brickheadz set. It had a really short 3 month window of availability, and fairly limited production and distribution as well iirc. It's also the only standard production set with the left 2 x 2 dark green wedge plate (the right one comes in the Charles Dickens GWP, and a matched pair comes in a Comicon exclusive), so God help you if you use 'em in a MOC. I had to have Lizard Combatant send me one from Australia because I couldn't even find one stateside.

Anyway, here's a car. 1970 AMC Gremlin, the mightiest of all Speed Champions.

I love this so much. The Gremlin is my favorite car. They transcend ugly and become awesome.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Carbohydrates posted:

Oh, I didn't comment on this earlier, whoops. A) I'm glad you enjoyed it, and B) that's a lovely render! It's enormously better than what I'm capable of doing. Hey, PM me if there's another specific car or two you want to digitally build.
:cheers:

Ashcans, as another option, I used https://www.mecabricks.com/ to build Carbohydrates' Mustang. stud.io is the "industry standard" from what I've seen, so definitely give that a try too. But for my purposes (build, then export to my specific 3D software for texturing/shading/lighting/rendering) mecabricks appears to work a little easier. It's worked for me so far and I haven't actually tried stud.io yet.

Mecabricks runs in-browser (!) and you have access to other peoples' builds, as well as being able to start and save your own files. It's very low risk to try out, you can tumble around other people's shared builds in 3D without even logging in. I've previously used it to grab models other users uploaded and export them for practice rendering, and I just used it to build Carbohydrates' Mustang starting from a blank file. I plan to use it more extensively for larger builds in the future (LEGO Star Wars MOCs for an animated short).

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Prolonged Panorama posted:

:cheers:

Ashcans, as another option, I used https://www.mecabricks.com/ to build Carbohydrates' Mustang. stud.io is the "industry standard" from what I've seen, so definitely give that a try too. But for my purposes (build, then export to my specific 3D software for texturing/shading/lighting/rendering) mecabricks appears to work a little easier. It's worked for me so far and I haven't actually tried stud.io yet.

Mecabricks runs in-browser (!) and you have access to other peoples' builds, as well as being able to start and save your own files. It's very low risk to try out, you can tumble around other people's shared builds in 3D without even logging in. I've previously used it to grab models other users uploaded and export them for practice rendering, and I just used it to build Carbohydrates' Mustang starting from a blank file. I plan to use it more extensively for larger builds in the future (LEGO Star Wars MOCs for an animated short).
Rendering is 100% the real forte of Mecabricks. Not only is its built-in rendering engine much more robust than Stud.io's, but the ability to export models straight to Blender (plus their very nice LEGO-rendering Blender plugins) is unbeatable.

Here are my choices, and why:

1) Stud.io. Intuitive and easy to learn. Very modern piece library, about the same as Mecabricks. Its rendering engine is less robust than Mecabricks's, but far easier to learn and use quickly. You can make instructions for models. Very fast to work with once you get the hang of keybinds/shortcuts. It syncs with Bricklink, which is great for informing you if you're using a rare or impossible part/color choice. Also, its Part Designer tool is amazing for custom graphic work and modifying pieces (which can be used to replicate extant parts that Stud.io does not yet officially have yet). Anecdotal, but it runs smoother than Mecabricks for me, also.

2) Mecabricks. Also FAIRLY intuitive and easy to learn, though it uses bizarre piece sorting and categories that are different from both LEGO and Bricklink's systems. Vastly more powerful rendering engine, plus easy exportation and Blender plugins. More printed piece designs are available than in Stud.io. It renders the actual exact physical dimensions of pieces much more accurately, including play for tolerances and sub-LDU differences. Runs in your browser, so you don't need to download anything to use it. Easy to edit LEGO sets with because tons of them exist in the set library.

3) Everything else is obsolete, sorry. LDD is no longer supported (especially since LEGO now owns Bricklink, which created Stud.io) and it was never great to begin with. Ldraw isn't worth the hassle and I'm not even sure who's still using it.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 2, 2021

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate it! We'll definitely look at Stud.io and Mecabricks - I don't know how much we'll be exporting things to render, I hadn't even thought of that, and running in a browser certainly makes it low-effort to try out. I'm glad we didn't get too far into messing with LDD before I came for help.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was looking at the Modular Lego Store. Can someone explain what about it is modular?

E: Also, doubly annoyed after looking at Season in Time again. The calendar is great and should be by itself. The 8 (now) vignettes are basically pointless and I'd guess the majority of people wouldn't be using them. After looking at them, I would guess they are bumping the price up by $80 or so. Very disappointing. It's a sure buy without all the extraneous stuff. But that price is really high due to the all that.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 2, 2021

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

I was looking at the Modular Lego Store. Can someone explain what about it is modular?

Modular was kind of an odd word choice for the mix and match city sets, since by definition every Lego set ever made is "modular." Or is modular a phrase fans came up with and doesn't actually appear in the sets anywhere?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
At this point I think it just means it’ll connect to the other modular buildings

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
As far as I'm concerned, the modulars have the connections to the other modulars, and you can take off each floor.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

uXs posted:

As far as I'm concerned, the modulars have the connections to the other modulars, and you can take off each floor.

Yeah, this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Futanari Damacy posted:

I called my store and they said it won't be available there until the 8th, so tomorrow is strictly pre-orders. Glad I had the presence of mind to verify that.

That's weird, my store just had them on shelves to pick up. I picked it up myself without any preorder and they had a bunch.

I also walked out with Dom's Charger to give to a friend and the last Chiron they had. Expensive day.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Modular is a weird categorization. It works in a broader sense, but I was confused as to why they were called that for a while.It sounds like you should be able to change them up on the fly or mix and match building parts.''

Does Lego even call them that or is that just a fan thing? I don't think I have seen "modular" used in their packaging or marketing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Lego definitely uses the term modular.

First one I looked at:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/bookshop-10270

Then I clicked on this:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/assembly-square-10255

It's in there, too.

The term might not be part of the actual names or theme but it is used in the advertising.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Does anybody know a good way to represent white wall tires? I'm building Brent Waller's second version of Ecto-1 and it uses white wheels and barbell ends. But those are pretty rare and expensive. There are Speed Champions sets with white rims, but those tires are narrower and shorter than the ones the set is designed for and they end up being recessed under the wheel well and look kinda dinky. I don't really want to reconfigure things too much.

I'd appreciate any tips.

Edit:
For reference, here is what the IRL car looks like.

deoju fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 2, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
UCS AT-AT leaked

6782 pieces, $799 USD(same price as the UCS Falcon)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RatHat posted:

UCS AT-AT leaked

oh my god...welp

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

RatHat posted:

UCS AT-AT leaked

That's a mammoth looking set, I'd be really interested to know if they've managed to make the legs adjustable or if it needs a static pose for stability like many of the big mocs out there.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I bet it is static. Otherwise there'd be arrows drawn on the box art like the head.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Looks like there are arrows on the bottom-right images, implying that at least one of the leg joints is movable?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
The three boxes in the bottom right are interesting. One seems to show a tool stored behind the info plaque. The next two seem to show that tool being used to set the angle of the legs. So adjustable, but only with the tool? Perhaps it's something like a worm gear mechanism to hold the geared joints in place.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Carbohydrates posted:

The three boxes in the bottom right are interesting. One seems to show a tool stored behind the info plaque. The next two seem to show that tool being used to set the angle of the legs. So adjustable, but only with the tool? Perhaps it's something like a worm gear mechanism to hold the geared joints in place.

Ooh, yeah that would make sense. More pose-able than play-able, but it would be a big bonus imo if it's not completely static. Especially if you can raise it enough for a stepping-on-snowspeeder vignette.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

RatHat posted:

UCS AT-AT leaked

oh gently caress off

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

Good catch. This is almost certainly the case.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I would really like to resurrect some of my old pneumatic technic sets, but the piston seals are all shot, some of them have busted nipples, and the hose has all gone brittle. Anyone know if something like this is a sufficient off-brand replacement for those parts?

Goshfun 19Pcs 10-Kinds MOC Pneumatic Parts Bricks with Air Pump Push Rod Switch Piston Air Pipe, DIY Small Particle Stem Building Blocks Toy Set Compatible with Lego, Random Color of Air Pipe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SHYBBXS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_J0TFA71GBPW276JEFDKN

Genuine replacement parts for these bits are insane $$$$$ so I’m okay with something that is just Good Enough. If there’s a better recommendation, I’m open to suggestions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm surprised they went with a full interior on the AT-AT. if it had been really bare bones like the ISD it still would be a set I want but then they go and add an interior and include a bunch of minifigs.

I don't think it looks quite as good as the famous Cave God MOC, but I hear that thing has a ton of stability issues and the official Lego one still looks 90% as good while presumedly being built a lot better.

It'll probably be a year or maybe two before I can amp myself up on yet another $800 lego set but it's 100% a must buy.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

veni veni veni posted:

I'm surprised they went with a full interior on the AT-AT. if it had been really bare bones like the ISD it still would be a set I want but then they go and add an interior and include a bunch of minifigs.

I don't think it looks quite as good as the famous Cave God MOC, but I hear that thing has a ton of stability issues and the official Lego one still looks 90% as good while presumedly being built a lot better.

It'll probably be a year or maybe two before I can amp myself up on yet another $800 lego set but it's 100% a must buy.

Yeah I’m in.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

RatHat posted:

UCS AT-AT leaked

“oh that’s awesome, I’ll have to bu- fuuuuuuck that”

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

veni veni veni posted:

Sure does. I know someone who built it a few years back and said was two years of frustration. Part of the problem was that the instructions (back then at least) weren't correct, so he had to make a hybrid with someone else's interpretation. And of course the thing kept falling apart so he needed to constantly rebuild the broken parts.

Although looking it up, it sounds like last year someone redid the MOC to fix all the issues .

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Right. I've started loving around with stud.io and I have some questions, for which the answer is probably "should have watched Carbohydrate's stream, idiot," which is certainly valid but I never imagined needing to use the program before.

I'm trying to build the bonsai tree, for which I can't find any complete studio file online, because I want to test out a couple of alternative season builds before ordering the parts. I'm at stage 32/33 of the instructions where I need to make three hinged plates circularly align around a central focus and I have no loving clue how to do it.

help?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Right. I've started loving around with stud.io and I have some questions, for which the answer is probably "should have watched Carbohydrate's stream, idiot," which is certainly valid but I never imagined needing to use the program before.

I'm trying to build the bonsai tree, for which I can't find any complete studio file online, because I want to test out a couple of alternative season builds before ordering the parts. I'm at stage 32/33 of the instructions where I need to make three hinged plates circularly align around a central focus and I have no loving clue how to do it.

help?

I've just had to turn off collisions, do the math and set the angles manually, then turn collisions back on after checking everything by eye. I haven't tried the Bonsai Tree yet though - I did do Helm's Deep, which had a bunch of angled parts that had to be aligned though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I feel like that thing will be more popular than the Falcon. If I had more space I’d buy it.

E: are there two fuckin speeder bikes in there? poo poo.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 3, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I've just had to turn off collisions, do the math and set the angles manually

can someone less mathematically disinclined than me help with this please

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Butterfly Valley posted:

can someone less mathematically disinclined than me help with this please
The inside of the build you are making forms an equilateral triangle. In every triangle the sum of the angles is 180 degrees. Three equally long sides means 3 equal angles. 180/3=60. When two lines intersect The angle two adjacent angles add up to 180, and the two opposite angles are equal. Tn this case the angle we are looking for is 180-60=120. But since Stud.io calls a straight line of those pieces 0 degrees, you actually want to set the angle for 60 degrees. Why, I'm not sure.

Edit: maybe it depends on the orientation of the piece on the grid and which side you grab. Try 120 and 60.

deoju fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 3, 2021

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Sure does. I know someone who built it a few years back and said was two years of frustration. Part of the problem was that the instructions (back then at least) weren't correct, so he had to make a hybrid with someone else's interpretation. And of course the thing kept falling apart so he needed to constantly rebuild the broken parts.

Although looking it up, it sounds like last year someone redid the MOC to fix all the issues .

I have both versions standing here (no…actually only one…the other one decided again to not survive the cat looking at it funny, and I didn’t yet find the time to rebuild the tenth time). The “fixed” version is better, especially if you build the base for it (I’d say it’s nearly mandatory for both version) but still…DON’T BUMP IT!

I’m interested in the official Lego one. Won’t buy it, but if there is a really clever mechanism that makes the legs sturdy as hell (as it seems), I might bricklink the parts for that and mod the CaveGod ones. What is immediately visible is that the legs are much thicker and give way more options to make them sturdy. CaveGod stuck to the “official” scale, thus they are really flimsy, only two studs thick.

E: go to 3:00 here (sorry, on mobile, can’t time stamp)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgRiQ2Hy3us

That’s how “sturdy” the fixed version is :lol:

tuo fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 3, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Due to the accidental shooting death on the movie Rust Bricklink has delayed the Brickwest Studios set in the designer program to round 3 and replaced it with the Venetian houses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

RatHat posted:

UCS AT-AT leaked

How many more obscenely expensive all-gray sets can they possibly release? :psyduck: