Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Vinny brought this up in his Metroid Dread finale and now I'm curious too. Is Final Fantasy the series with the most numbered sequels? He didn't mean the most games, like there might be 25 Madden games (making up a number) but they're named after the year they were released. But with Final Fantasy 16 on the way, are there any other games that are for example Super Mario Bros. 16, or higher? The only one I can think of that comes close is Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV, which is still less than Final Fantasy by one even if you're only counting released titles.

king of fighters is about to hit 15. if ff17 takes forever SNK might pull out ahead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Jazerus posted:

king of fighters is about to hit 15. if ff17 takes forever SNK might pull out ahead
Tales of Arise is the 15th non-sequel Tales game, but Bandai Namco doen't go by numbers unless it's a direct sequel.

If Falcom had stuck to individually numbering their Legend of Heroes games, Kuro no Kiseki/Trails into Darkness would be XVI, with its two in-development sequels numbered XVII and XVIII. Instead, they're on the same numbering scheme as the Tales series. Internally at Falcom, the three Trails in the Sky games are VI, Zero/Azure count as VII, the Cold Steel games are VIII, Reverie is IX, and the Darkness trilogy is X. Kinda nonsensical, since all 18 games are serialized and canon to each other in some fashion. Hell, they're still putting characters into your party roster that have been around for 10+ games.

Varance fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 5, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Vinny brought this up in his Metroid Dread finale and now I'm curious too. Is Final Fantasy the series with the most numbered sequels? He didn't mean the most games, like there might be 25 Madden games (making up a number) but they're named after the year they were released. But with Final Fantasy 16 on the way, are there any other games that are for example Super Mario Bros. 16, or higher? The only one I can think of that comes close is Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV, which is still less than Final Fantasy by one even if you're only counting released titles.

Fallouts on its 76th game. And Marathon has infinite games

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Are there any OST tracks off the Zodiac Age version that are substantially different from the originals, or is it pretty much entirely just cleaning it up? They didn't actually re-record the whole thing with an orchestra, did they?

Most of it is relatively subtle changes though there are some new elements added to tracks like the Esper boss theme that really stand out. There's also an entirely new boss theme for a few seemingly-arbitrary bosses in Zodiac Age.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gaius Marius posted:

And now Halo does too

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Gaius Marius posted:

That's nothing, Street Fighter already had 2,010 games back in the NES days.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't even know how many games in 30XX is, but it's been at least 900 games since 20XX. :v:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, somehow Games Workshop has put out the 40,000th edition of their Warhammer roleplaying and miniature wargame.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Real answer: There's a Pop'n Music 18, and there are apparently Amiga game series that make that look like a chump number. A quick Google turned up a thread on the Digital Press forums that asks the same question.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Touhou: Unconnected Marketeers came out recently, and while the title isn’t literally “Touhou 18” it is labeled as “18th Touhou Project” on the box so I think it counts. I think there are other long-running indie Japanese series too, but they mostly seem creepy so I don’t know anything about them.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Im here to kiss chaos

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Im here to kiss chaos

Hrm yes, the kiss of death, a fine maneuver

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The 25th Madden was called Madden 25.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Twelve by Pies posted:

Is Final Fantasy the series with the most numbered sequels?

Super Robot Wars might top this list if they had stuck to numbered titles, rather than randomly pulling words out of a hat to name their entries. Super Robot Wars 30 just came out... But the 30 refers to the 30th anniversary of the series, not consecutive numbering. By my count, it's at least the 48th game in that series since 1991.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

5 days left.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't know if really counts since it is an arcade game, but there is Beatmania IIDX. Whose latest release is Beatmania IIDX 29: CastHour.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Came here to post this. It's agonizing.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Everybody who hates on the WotL translation makes me laugh. I'm old as gently caress and played through it the original tactics when I was in high school.

There wasn't an entire internet full of plot walkthroughs to explain to any of us what in the goddamn hell was going on in the back half of that game.

The way some of you weiners go on about about the War Of The Lions makes me wonder if you got beat up by a drama class.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Twelve by Pies posted:

Giza Plains music rules, Salikawood music rules, Eruyt Village music rules, Phon Coast music rules, the music that plays after the destruction of Mt. Bur Omisace rules, FFXII's soundtrack loving rules.

I think my main problem with XIIs soundtrack is the most I can say about it is that “it’s from XII” whenever I hear a given track. Like with Vs I can immediately tell Library of Ancients from To The North Mountain or whatever; I can’t positively identify any of XIIs themes.

Except for Streets of Rabanastre, which I would rather throw my dining room table out a window into my car than listen to five more seconds of.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

As someone who grew up playing low brass, FF XII's ost has a soft spot in my heart for the lit as gently caress trombone parts in the various Archades motifs. Are there any other FF tunes that have dope low brass sections?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF12’s music is very whimsical and sounds very busy a lot of the time. It’s good grinding music, which is good considering, ya know

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a mod for FFXII that enables the holy grail Steal gambit (something like "Enemy: has item" or something)? I haven't set up a Steal gambit in my SFF playthrough yet just because I have felt like I need everyone actually fighting and not having someone totally devoted to constantly stealing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Everybody who hates on the WotL translation makes me laugh. I'm old as gently caress and played through it the original tactics when I was in high school.

There wasn't an entire internet full of plot walkthroughs to explain to any of us what in the goddamn hell was going on in the back half of that game.

Yeah it's worth remembering that the translation for the end of Act 3 and all of Act 4 is basically incomprehensible. There are parts where it is practically gibberish.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

Is there a mod for FFXII that enables the holy grail Steal gambit (something like "Enemy: has item" or something)? I haven't set up a Steal gambit in my SFF playthrough yet just because I have felt like I need everyone actually fighting and not having someone totally devoted to constantly stealing.

Yeah, this mod pack has multiple options, but it allows you to enable smart stealing gambits. It's a huge quality of life change. It also lets you increase your chain level while still picking up loot, which I think is great, but I can understand how one might think it imbalances the in-game economy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

Yeah, this mod pack has multiple options, but it allows you to enable smart stealing gambits. It's a huge quality of life change. It also lets you increase your chain level while still picking up loot, which I think is great, but I can understand how one might think it imbalances the in-game economy.

Hell yeah, definitely going to at least use the smart stealing gambits. That's something that really should've been in the game from the start.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Harrow posted:

Not being able to have a good steal gambit is the true FF12 experience.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've played FFXII enough times that I have paid my dues. Gimme the good Steal gambit!!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ManSedan posted:

Except for Streets of Rabanastre, which I would rather throw my dining room table out a window into my car than listen to five more seconds of.

This except the lowtown theme.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I don't remember a single piece of music from XII, which makes it the worst FF for music. Even XIII had great music...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The only bad FF soundtrack was X-2, and even it had a few gems. It was just mostly poo poo besides those diamonds in the rough. XII had some great songs and a lot of okay songs.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't know why there is a waiting period of any importance when you can fight Chaos right now.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Chaos now, and Gilgamesh in 5 days.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

thetoughestbean posted:

Beat Voice of Cards. It’s pretty Yoko Taro. Near enough, maybe not worth $40. Could definitely see this being another series added to Square Enix’s stable

Taking my time through Voice of Cards and loving it. The tabletop aesthetic works great while still functioning as a videogame (plus some dice rolls, without being reliant on them). A simple JRPG where I don't have to min-max twelve different systems or prioritize a half-dozen fetch quests feels so good right now compared to games as work. Just along for Yoko Taro's narrated ride.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

12's OST is like 13's where even if you're "meh" overall you have to admit that the boss theme is a banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CTnqYZIGiA

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1456630129241829378

Battle on the bridge!!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feeling a little conflicted on my SFF job combinations. Mostly I'm trying to figure out if I really need a Red Mage and a Black Mage and if I should instead combine them onto one character (to create an uber-mage) and then build myself another physical DPS. Right now my only physical characters are a Machinist/Time Mage (guns are better in SFF but still not "comboing with a melee weapon" good), Knight/Bushi, and Monk/Foebreaker, and those last two are also my tanks so I'll likely need to prioritize defense over offense with them. If I combined Black Mage and Red Mage that would free up Archer and Uhlan (those characters' secondary jobs) so I could maybe do like Monk/Uhlan and Foebreaker/Archer instead--still a good Foebreaker tank, and now I also have a heavy armor Monk.

Any thoughts from people who've played further in SFF than I have? Would I regret not having Red Mage and Black Mage on separate characters (assuming I continue to use all 12 jobs with no repeats)?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Add another official arrangement of Clash on the Big Bridge. I remember asking after just how many there were a few years ago, assuming there was maybe a handful, and the list I got back had... I dunno, two handfuls, at least 10.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Helllll yeah

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I sincerely hope those last few seconds indicate a rockin' guitar solo at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Are there any OST tracks off the Zodiac Age version that are substantially different from the originals, or is it pretty much entirely just cleaning it up? They didn't actually re-record the whole thing with an orchestra, did they?

They added a few new tracks here and there. The most notable I remember was the Tchita Uplands which used to use the Giza Plains theme.