Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

IshmaelZarkov posted:

If it's a perfect adaptation of only one book, I think I'm going to go with Mort.

It's early enough that you don't need a ton of backstory.
It's a solid one shot story.
It's got enough of a romance that the studio won't ruin the movie/show by shoehorning one in.
It shows off Death, potentially Discworld's greatest character.
If it does well enough to earn a sequel, you've got Reaper Man/Soul Music right there.

Can we lose the Death angle? It's not testing well in Power Cable, Nebraska.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

YggiDee posted:

I'd want either a movie of Lords and Ladies (b/c I love the witch books) Carpe Jugulum (I like it more but without the context of previous books it's harder to get across how unbalanced Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are acting when Magrat destroys the status quo. On the other hand it's my absolute favourite showing of Agnes and Perdita)

The third option would be Thief of Time because I just think it would be completely apeshit. Ronnie Soak, the fifth horseman? Chocolate based combat in the middle of a time-frozen Ankh-Morpork? A legion of abstract spirits of bureaucracy shove one of their own into a meatsuit and she has an existential crisis so hard she becomes a person? Susan Sto Helit, the goth mirror self of Miss Frizzle? I wanna see the History Monks.

...Okay this might be kind of weird but I don't visualize stuff in my head very well, and one thing that's really stood out over to me everything else in the Discworld series is the giant hall in the temple of the History Monks, where the massive Procrastinators are rolling and unrolling time across the entire world, as monks scurry back and forth cooling the axles so they don't burst into flames from the friction alone, as the planks on the wall flip back and forth to show exactly how much time is winding and unwinding. The scene where Lobsang instinctually takes over and for a brief moment, balances all of time, across the Disc, everything, into a single perfect moment.

That's what I want to see. I want everyone else to see it as well as I can see it in my head.

Thief of Time is definitely my favourite individual novel even if the City Watch stuff is my favourite series.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Why is Maurice fat? He's supposed to be scraggly and self-consciously roguish.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Reading the Maurice book I gasped out loud when he dropped dead after (I think) helping a bunch of mice escape or something.

Then it turns out cats indeed have 9 lives and Death shows up to mark one number down. And that was amazing.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

feetnotes posted:

https://narrativia.com/maurice.html has some previews for the designs that will be used in the Sky version of the Amazing Maurice.

Giving the characters what I think of as the generic Dreamworks look is… probably for the best, all things considered, but feels really wrong somehow. It feels fundamentally un-Pratchett to me to present the story as cute and cuddly and marketable as possible. But marketable means sustained popularity, and the alternative is for Discworld to slowly wither away from memory, which I wouldn’t want either.

Guess it’s best to just accept some drift from the source material is inevitable, hope it turns out better than the Watch did, and celebrate however many kids end up finding the books through it.

I wouldn't call it generic Dreamworks, the artwork and the studios involved all scream 'This film received funding from the European Union Creative Media fund'.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Total Meatlove posted:

I wouldn't call it generic Dreamworks, the artwork and the studios involved all scream 'This film received funding from the European Union Creative Media fund'.

what, it's not dreamworks?

it looks exactly like dreamworks

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I seem to remember the Going Postal adaptation was alright. They didn't change too much or add too many dumb things. Terry must have approved, he had a cameo in it, I don't think he would have wanted to be involved if he didn't agree with what they did with the story.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

When I say I want a Tiffany Aching adaption, I mean one that's an entirely British production, shot on location somewhere in the North Downs, is stuffed full of character actors, and that isn't afraid to be actually scary in places.

They can do all the Faery stuff in Shepperton or Pinewood studios.

Oh, and Miriam Margoyles cameos as Nanny Ogg

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

what, it's not dreamworks?

it looks exactly like dreamworks

It looks a lot like a mix between the Moving Light stuff done for all of the Donaldson books (Gruffalo, Snail and the Whale, Zog etc.) mixed with some of the German, French and Spanish animation you'll find on Netflix now - Astro Boy, Klaus etc.

I'd say it's distinct enough not to be full Dreamworks, and there's definitely a thread of animation studios that share an aesthetic - the Donaldson stuff is all very Scheffler based on his illustrations, they were done by a German studio etc.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

YggiDee posted:

The third option would be Thief of Time because I just think it would be completely apeshit. Ronnie Soak, the fifth horseman? Chocolate based combat in the middle of a time-frozen Ankh-Morpork? A legion of abstract spirits of bureaucracy shove one of their own into a meatsuit and she has an existential crisis so hard she becomes a person? Susan Sto Helit, the goth mirror self of Miss Frizzle? I wanna see the History Monks.

...Okay this might be kind of weird but I don't visualize stuff in my head very well, and one thing that's really stood out over to me everything else in the Discworld series is the giant hall in the temple of the History Monks, where the massive Procrastinators are rolling and unrolling time across the entire world, as monks scurry back and forth cooling the axles so they don't burst into flames from the friction alone, as the planks on the wall flip back and forth to show exactly how much time is winding and unwinding. The scene where Lobsang instinctually takes over and for a brief moment, balances all of time, across the Disc, everything, into a single perfect moment.

That's what I want to see. I want everyone else to see it as well as I can see it in my head.

It is an excellent book, worth it for Mr Dark Avocado alone. And that scene is one of my favourite in the whole series.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Thief of Time I enjoyed immensely, but it has the feel of something akin to a season finale, with lots of things building up to it. Maybe an Avengers film? Something like that where you have to introduce all the separate elements and develop them first in their own stories before throwing them all together.

Also, Thief of Time and Night Watch are happening concurrently, so that would be a good Side A/Side B element to watch for.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Both movies are happening simultaneously, shown in whatever chronological order is the least convenient for the watchers.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

The_Doctor posted:

Thief of Time I enjoyed immensely, but it has the feel of something akin to a season finale, with lots of things building up to it. Maybe an Avengers film? Something like that where you have to introduce all the separate elements and develop them first in their own stories before throwing them all together.

Also, Thief of Time and Night Watch are happening concurrently, so that would be a good Side A/Side B element to watch for.

wait what

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Remember the storm that flings Vimes and Carcer back into the past? It's the same storm that strikes the Glass Clock. It's why it rose so suddenly on a sunny day, it's why time got all hecked up, and it's why Lu-Tze is involved.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Nightwatch posted:

Windows blew out and iron gutters melted. Roofs lifted into the air and settled again. Buildings shook. But this storm had been blowing in from far across the plains, pushing the natural background magic ahead of it. It dumped it now, all in one go. They said afterwards that the bolt of lightning hit a clockmakers shop in the Street of Cunning Artificers, stopping all the clocks at that instant.

Thief Of Time posted:

'Well, this is the Street of Cunning Artificers and that's the Guild of Clockmakers over there,' said Lu-Tze. 'I don't dare go inside if it's this close, not until we're certain.'

Thief Of Time posted:

He ran. The lightning was falling towards a shop, a few buildings away. He could see a big clock hanging over its window. He pushed against the flow of time ever further, and it yielded. But the lightning had reached the iron pole atop the building.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 4, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I had no idea about that and I love the fact that my two favourite Discworld books are even more connected than I thought.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
It's made somewhat more explicit later in Night Watch, when Vimes and Lu-Tze are talking in the rock garden, and he says, basically, "a big hosed up time event crisis thing happened, you don't need to know the details, but you got caught up in it." Same scene where he gives Vimes the cigar case, I think. In my first reading of NW I didn't catch the reference in the quote Gravitas Shortfall posted, but when I read that rock garden scene I was like "ohhh, yeah, that makes sense."

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The most explicit reference in Discworld still being that the Guild of Seamstresses is headed by Rosemary Palm

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Oh drat

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The phrase "perfect moment" also appears a couple of times in Night Watch, particularly at the end.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ffffffuck

I dunno how that changes things, though. I always thought the storm that sent Vimes back was because lightning hit the High Energy Magic building and something something magic, it didn't seem like something left unexplained. I guess it's kind of interesting that it was the storm from Thief of Time? I wonder why he chose to link the two books like that. Are there any other books that happens with? I can't think of any, but then again I needed you guys to point this one out in the first place haha.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Feliday Melody posted:

If you could pick any Discworld book to turn into a good and faithful movie/series adaptation. Which would it be?

It is an absolute indictment of everyone in the last 30 years who has had the power to decide what television gets made and aired that nobody has just done stories of the Watch as the Hill Street Octarines.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Not sold on the character designs for the Maurice movie. If the main cast have to be that cutesy, I hope they at least commit to the most nightmarish version of the Rat King possible as a counterpoint.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Hire whoever made Felidae 1994 to do the Maurice movie.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

The_Doctor posted:

Incredible. I was already planning to re-read both of these, and now I'm sold on doing them back-to-back.

I've been trying to decide whether to re-read any of the Watch books between Men-at-Arms and Night Watch, or just skip straight to Night Watch --> Thief of Time. It's been well over a decade since I read Feet of Clay, Jingo, or The Fifth Elephant and my memory is veeeery hazy on those three - is there anything in them that I'd regret not re-reading prior to Night Watch?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Maybe also Guards Guards and Men at Arms for the full Vimes experience

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

thetoughestbean posted:

Maybe also Guards Guards and Men at Arms for the full Vimes experience

Ahh, should have clarified, those I've already re-read. Wondering if there's any major beats in the other three that, if I skipped them, would really detract from being able to appreciate Night Watch, which I also read 10+ years ago and remember only vaguely as a being a masterpiece.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Kestral posted:

Incredible. I was already planning to re-read both of these, and now I'm sold on doing them back-to-back.

I've been trying to decide whether to re-read any of the Watch books between Men-at-Arms and Night Watch, or just skip straight to Night Watch --> Thief of Time. It's been well over a decade since I read Feet of Clay, Jingo, or The Fifth Elephant and my memory is veeeery hazy on those three - is there anything in them that I'd regret not re-reading prior to Night Watch?

Fifth Elephant and Feet of Clay are both excellent imo, and well worth a re-read. FoC also introduces the Golems, and Dorfl in particular. FE is the reader's introduction to the Low King of the Dwarfs, and a lot more about their culture.
Jingo..eh.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Fifth Elephant and Feet of Clay are both excellent imo, and well worth a re-read. FoC also introduces the Golems, and Dorfl in particular. FE is the reader's introduction to the Low King of the Dwarfs, and a lot more about their culture.
Jingo..eh.

The Vimes bits of Jingo are amazing. The Ventinari parts…. Not so much.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm reading 'The Fifth Elephant' right now, and this bit made literally :lol:

quote:

GOOD MORNING.
Vimes blinked. A tall dark robed figure was now sitting in the boat.
'Are you Death?'
IT'S THE SCYTHE, ISN'T IT? PEOPLE ALWAYS NOTICE THE SCYTHE.
'I'm going to die?'
POSSIBLY.
'Possibly? You turn up when people are possibly going to die?'
OH, YES. IT'S QUITE THE NEW THING. IT'S BECAUSE OF THE UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.
'What's that?'
I'M NOT SURE.
'That's very helpful.”

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Death being at the mercy of new schools of philosophy just cracks me up.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sanford posted:

The Vimes bits of Jingo are amazing. The Ventinari parts…. Not so much.

The Vetinari bits, I think, would have been fine if they were never repeated. I don't mind a one-off where it turns out Vetinari knows sleight of hand and can juggle, because he's an Assassin and literally Machiavelli, so it's not out of the realm of imagination that he can deal with a brief Klatchian spy mission, or investigate the island and figure out it's gonna sink again. But it's definitely the spot that you point to when people talk about Vetinari getting Flanderized or whatever so that he can magically do anything. I dunno how you can hate Gulli Gulli and Beti when you read it for the first time through, though.

e: do we spoiler stuff here? I thought the op hadn't read Jingo for some reason but I read the post again and he's just talking about a reread

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 5, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"What's the uncertainty principle?" "I'm not sure." Is just such a loving solid joke.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Total Meatlove posted:

The most explicit reference in Discworld still being that the Guild of Seamstresses is headed by Rosemary Palm
idgi. "Mrs Palm" is a masturbation reference, right? So how does the joke work regarding prostituion?

Trin Tragula posted:

It is an absolute indictment of everyone in the last 30 years who has had the power to decide what television gets made and aired that nobody has just done stories of the Watch as the Hill Street Octarines.
Ah. Like Hill Street Blues, which was apparently some TV show? Which is a pun about the music genre and cops, who are dressed in blue? Just like how the Watch... is dressed in Octarine? Deals with magic? Has any sort of connection to the color at all?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xander77 posted:

idgi. "Mrs Palm" is a masturbation reference, right? So how does the joke work regarding prostituion?

It's short for telling a man who wants sex when the woman doesn't to "go see Mrs Palm and her five daughters". And there is a point where someone refers to Rosie Palm as "having all those daughters to feed". So it's a reverse reference - instead of being a euphemism for getting sexual relief, it's literal. (Not that the girls are Rose's daughters of course, but people assume it.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Imagined posted:

I'm reading 'The Fifth Elephant' right now, and this bit made literally :lol:

I've always enjoyed the one in Thud.

quote:

“Is it?” he insisted. “Is this it? This time I die?”
COULD BE.
“Could be? What sort of answer is that?” said Vimes.
A VERY ACCURATE ONE. YOU SEE, YOU ARE HAVING A NEAR-DEATH EXPERIENCE, WHICH INESCAPABLY MEANS THAT I MUST HAVE A NEAR-VIMES EXPERIENCE. DON’T MIND ME. CARRY ON WITH WHATEVER YOU WERE DOING. I HAVE A BOOK.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Death having a cameo in every book is one of my favourite Discworld traditions.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
He's not in most of the Tiffany Aching books, is he?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beachcomber posted:

He's not in most of the Tiffany Aching books, is he?

They're not the main thread books. The only one of those in which Death doesn't appear is (perhaps strangely) Snuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think they're more main thread than Snuff and the train one.

It's just a personal thing, but they fit so much better.

Edit:except the 5th one which is Not Canon. :colbert: