Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
for me the weirdest career trajectory was bob clark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I just got through watching the Blade tv series which aired waay back in 2006 on tv. Found the series on amazon for $12, DVD only, there never was a blu release. And this was pretty... good?!?

I honestly didn’t expect it to be, it I was pleasantly surprised. I know it’s part horror, part superhero, but if you liked the first Blade film, or the Marvel Blade Max series of comic, you would probably dig this.

The main complaints I’ve seen are that the guy they got to play Blade isn’t as good as Snipes. From a martial arts perspective, I agree... I think Snipes really has some martial arts experience and TV Blade (rapper Sticky Fingaz) looks like it was all new to him, although I think he got better as the series went on.

Acting-wise though... it’s Blade. He frowns, he snarls, he wears sunglasses all the time, and always speaks in the same tone of voice. So lack of Snipes didn’t really bother me there very much in that respect.

Series Blade doesn’t just totally wreck the vamps like Movie Blade did... he swings and misses and gets counterpunched a lot, he gets thrown into walls, etc. He actually gets pretty hosed up at times.

For whatever reason I’ve always enjoyed the whole vibe of the secret society-type thing, in this case where the world is full of vampires and they’ve completely infiltrated all major cities. This was a major factor from the beginning in the Vampire: the Masquerade RPG, in the later Blade comics, and of course in the films.

The series is all about that, and it begins when a woman named Krista investigates her brother’s murder. He was actually a familiar for a vampire clan, a wannabe, and they’ve offed him, and they have another familiar who’s a homicide detective with the Detroit PD who is saying the kid was a drug dealer and gang member who got capped by some other scumbags, tsk tsk.

She doesn’t buy it, and in the process of investigating meets Blade, and finds out the truth about vampires. She learns the identity of the head of the local vampire clan, flirts with him at a party, and later tries to kill him.

Unfortunately the vampires are clever, they capture her, and the head vampire decides to turn her. He takes a real shine to her, she still hates his guts, and throughout the rest of the series is working with Blade, undercover in the vampire clan.

You can’t really do Blade in a PG-13 or network TV-friendly manner, the world he lives in is brutal. This originally aired on Spike, and I don’t know if what’s on the DVD has some scenes that didn’t air on TV or if it was uncut on TV. But while not having budgets anywhere near the three films, they didn’t pull any punches in this series. There is a lot of violence... both hand to hand and shootouts. Quite a bit of gore, dismemberment, decapitation, burns, etc. It’s very much a dark, gritty world with monsters around every corner.

The series was created/produced by David Goyer, who also wrote a couple of episodes. He was also the writer and producer on the films, and I’m sure he’s what gives the show a lot of that same tone that we saw in the movies. Unfortunately the show was not renewed for a second season, and it ends on something of a cliffhanger.

tl;dr- I liked it a lot. Lots of action and gore Gets better as it goes on, and eps. 8-12 are the strongest by far.

e: I just watched Blade 2 for the first time in an age, and afterwards had to look it up. Snipes has been practicing martial arts since he was 12, and it really shows.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 6, 2021

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dorium posted:

Saw Possession in theaters last night with the new 4K restoration. So good.

That would have been so good

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The guy that made Re-Animator made Honey I Shrank the Kids?

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Just finished The Deep House, and... hoo boy. Not very good. Really unique premise, but that's about all it had going for it. I felt like there was zero tension, and the acting once the two hit the water was loving dire. It wasn't amazing beforehand, but once they were underwater it essentially hinged on the voice-acting capabilities of the leads, and they were both pretty bad, comparable to late 90's video games. The dude was completely unlikable, and the lady was just, like... present. A bummer, because I was really intrigued by the idea of an underwater haunted house movie, but it just fell really flat for me.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

the guy that made From Dusk Till Dawn made Spy Kids?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Watched Scream for the first time since release. Was dope. Is the second one worth watching?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Disposable Scud posted:

Watched Scream for the first time since release. Was dope. Is the second one worth watching?

Yep, arguably better. (It's been a while since I've seen both, but the sequel does have a David Warner cameo.)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its a fun movie, kinda a mess when you look back on it but its really entertaining.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I liked the leaked script for Scream 2 more than the actual movie. I get why they changed it but man that was a lot better than what we got.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Disposable Scud posted:

all of em are for different reasons, but 2 is really fun. there's some great kills and you get a young Timothy Olyphant if that's your thing (it's super my thing)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Having watched Tales of the Uncanny a few weeks ago (the documentary about horror anthologies), I took note of a few of ‘the best’ and finally got around to watching one last night.

Tales from the Crypt (1972) is a lot of fun, with Peter Cushing, Joan Collins, and Patrick Magee all turning up. I did like the lampshade hanging on the retelling of the Monkey’s Paw, that they all already knew the story and wouldn’t get it wrong in this, the real world.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

an owls casket posted:

Just finished The Deep House, and... hoo boy. Not very good. Really unique premise, but that's about all it had going for it. I felt like there was zero tension, and the acting once the two hit the water was loving dire. It wasn't amazing beforehand, but once they were underwater it essentially hinged on the voice-acting capabilities of the leads, and they were both pretty bad, comparable to late 90's video games. The dude was completely unlikable, and the lady was just, like... present. A bummer, because I was really intrigued by the idea of an underwater haunted house movie, but it just fell really flat for me.

Extremely same impression watching it last night. I feel like they could have leveraged the underwater setting and imagery so much more effectively. A lot of the scenes just felt too busy. I think you make a solid observation on what effectively boils down to voice-acting. Also, I don't need to see a person's face in a mask every time I hear their voice.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Update wife just looked over and said

"Deeply disappointing house."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only deep house I enjoy is the stuff my friends and I were dancing to in an abandoned train station in 2007 with 100 other hosed up 19 year olds

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I'm going through and rewatching all the Nightmare on Elm Streets for the first time in years and they're still some of my favorite horror movies. What did people think of the Never Sleep Again documentary? I haven't watched it yet but I'm curious, but four hours is a big investment when I could use that time to watch a whole bunch of other spooky dude movies.

It's shockingly great. I've watched it twice through, both times I threw it on thinking "I'll watch a little of this now and finish it later" and ended up rapt for the full four hours. I'm a bit obsessed with the NOES series though.

Favorite part is the montage of behind the scenes clips of Robert Englund just refusing to shut the gently caress up for even a second of his hours long makeup process to become Freddy as all the makeup artists nod and go "uh huh, sure, yep."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I really enjoyed Never Sleep Again but I also grew up loving NoES so that long step by step revisiting and detailing was really up my alley. I remember it doing a good job just showing how the franchise made the decisions it did through the years.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah I found the deep house pretty uneven for the above mentioned reasons. But the premise is intriguing and some of the reveals were good. There were some dumb minor unimportant things that took me out of the movie, like why were some heavy things floating/suspended in water? Like a candelabra, or a friggen piano? I guess a ghost did it?

The Ben character was an unbearable tool but when he got possessed the change in demeanor was pretty striking/creepy

I'd still say it's worth giving a try, there are some creepy moments, especially when they discover they are trapped in an underwater haunted house with dwindling air...thats pretty horrifying!

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Repeat viewings of Never Sleep Again and Crystal Lake Memories are great to have on in the background whilst you’re doing other stuff .

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

The only deep house I enjoy is the stuff my friends and I were dancing to in an abandoned train station in 2007 with 100 other hosed up 19 year olds

Hahahaha

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Deep House could have cut the ghosts altogether and just kept ratcheting up the creepy urbex exploration stuff and I would have liked it more. Keep the bodies, the wall appearing from no where, stuff like that, but drop the cliche FF ghosts.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

This is too long for a thread title sadly

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Scream, Queen was excellent, great recommendation. I'll check out Never Sleep Again once I'm done rewatching the series, I'm hyped now!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I like Camp Crystal Lake Memories over Never Sleep Again. Camp Crystal Lake is very long but its super involved.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

MacheteZombie posted:

Deep House could have cut the ghosts altogether and just kept ratcheting up the creepy urbex exploration stuff and I would have liked it more. Keep the bodies, the wall appearing from no where, stuff like that, but drop the cliche FF ghosts.

Yeah for sure, once the ooga booga corpses opened their eyes and started chasing, the movie really lost something. Which is too bad, the corpses themselves were really chilling and creepy

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
More like shallow house am I right

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Deep House was super disappointing, yeah. The VA work is dreadful and it got really dumb by the end. A shame as I tend to enjoy the directors' work.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Finally got around to watching Titane, which was relatively Good and Cool, but it made me glad that these forums exist because I could not plausibly enjoy discourse about a movie where a woman fucks a car, leaks motor oil out of her vagina, and then it turns into a vaguely trans allegory about family and trauma bonding outside of this coterie of lunatics and weirdos.

Now that I think about it, was the second fireman rave a reference to the first quarter of Climax? Perhaps I don't go to enough fireman raves, but is 'sweaty people dance around to house music in front of the French flag' a thing, or is it referential?

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 6, 2021

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Antlers was very dull, one of the few in the day and date era that really feels like Streaming Content. CBS Films rear end movie.

Actually let me take that back: The Disappointments Room, as one random example, had more bite to it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 6, 2021

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
Reading up on the technical details of how they shot the underwater scenes of Deep House was pretty fascinating, and I did absolutely appreciate a lot of the technical aspects of the movie, but man... the plot and the characters were such disappointing crap. I pretty much wanted the rear end in a top hat influencer boyfriend to loving die from the first moment he opened his stupid mouth.

I guess I never was the sort of horror fan that enjoyed hate-watching stupid/obnoxious people get their asses handed to them, I've always preferred watching likeable characters that you can empathize with. This movie made me realize I might be completely done with idiots-and-assholes-in-peril type horror movies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I watched Scream 2 for the first time in years not that long ago because my spouse had never seen it. I felt bored and irritated (I still hate the whole "kill people with similar names" bit) until the movie comes alive at the end with Timothy Olyphant, Liev Schreiber, and Laurie Metcalf all being insane.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
On one hand Cotton's bits were the best part of Scream 3 but on the other hand if they kept em alive they probably could have done more fun stuff with em as seen from 2.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
I like the Scream movies mostly for the Cox/Arquette chemistry... maybe that's an unseemly confession in the horror thread.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Scream reveal letting actors play the exact same type of totally unhinged for the requisite parlor moment all the ripoffs had for like ten years lead to some very hilarious acting. Urban Legend probably has my “favorite” of the bunch.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

indiscriminately posted:

I like the Scream movies mostly for the Cox/Arquette chemistry... maybe that's an unseemly confession in the horror thread.

I remember Scream 3 reminding the audience again and again that not only were they a couple in the film but also real life.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Candyman 2021 is great. Enjoyed it a lot, even if it did just suddenly end.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Is there any known reason for why they shifted the story in Antlers from eldritch spirit monsters invoked by a mostly unexplained pagan suicide pact ritutal to generic Wendigo monster thing? If they had to come up with an explanation for where the monsters came from and rules for fighting them surely there are plenty of more interesting options, or at least ones that haven't been done to death already, than "IDK, cursed by Indians?".

I really enjoyed the short story so I tracked down a stream of the adaptation and it was very disappointing in comparison. Not that it had to be an 100% faithful adaptation but the direction they went in discarded most of what was interesting or disturbing about the story and wasn't even that scary to boot.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
The biggest crime Scream 2 made was killing off Randy, that character should have been present through the whole franchise.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
he had to pay for the crime of that facial hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

weekly font posted:

The Scream reveal letting actors play the exact same type of totally unhinged for the requisite parlor moment all the ripoffs had for like ten years lead to some very hilarious acting. Urban Legend probably has my “favorite” of the bunch.

a shame none of those reveals were nicolas cage, he would've been in his element