Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Rarity posted:

The desert tribe virtually cut off from the rest of society knows about Aan'allein

He's kind of the definition of "Living Legend". Everyone knows about him and respects him and his ability to kill things from the Blight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are *very* subtle hints in the first book. There's the significant glances when they first meet, then at the taren ferry Thom flourishes a dagger and she laughs, then from there on in retrospect yeah it's clear that Min saw a vision of them married up and told Moraine.

Wheel Takes' Ali clocked it immediately, like without hesitation or reservations.

I won't disagree it was extremely subtle because like you I thought it came out of nowhere, but on a reread there are signs and like others said it follows romance novel tropes. The star-crossed lovers is a cliche, it just happens that these two are political masters of subtlety and nuance and don't feel the need to announce it

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

I don't think we ever see a woman in the series who isn't described as hot to at least some degree

Hessalam.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yeah I forgot about her, but she's clearly a Brandon character. Jordan was horny for all women.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Invalid Validation posted:

If that was his plan all along then he was so subtle about the fact they were going to get together that it might as well not have existed. Like I get how you can kinda connect the dots after everything was set and done, but if they never got together it would just be a blip in the story. It’s either too subtle or just a change in the story he wanted to make. I lean on the side of a change in story that comes out of nowhere.

Weird how I was expecting them to end up together while still reading book 3 then

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Yeah I forgot about her, but she's clearly a Brandon character. Jordan was horny for all women.

Okay one more cut.

Laras, who was definitely hot in the past, but is not hot now.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Jordan was horny for all women.

I respect it. :hai:

I think maybe people who grew up in fandom or did shipping (those are the words right?) cottoned onto T + M more often than those who didn't. I never had anything to do with those cultures so it went entirely over my head, and I don't care for it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lini is definitely not written as hot

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hexel posted:

Far Dareis Mai killing with their face uncovered show is ruined

https://twitter.com/ace_bande/status/1456729502923431940

That, uh, is kind of a major though

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Rarity posted:

Lini is definitely not written as hot

Neither is Aviendha

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I thought Vandene and Adeleas might be old and no longer pretty too but they apparently still had patrician features. God bless that horny old bastard

Also I totally assumed one of the sisters was Black, murdered the black sister that they were interrogating to protect the secret, then had to murder her sister and take her place to allay suspicion. That they looked near identical and "Vandene" started wearing Adeleas' clothes made it seem even more certain to me, if brazen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Laras and Lini are both clearly hot emeritus

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Natural 20 posted:

Okay one more cut.

Laras, who was definitely hot in the past, but is not hot now.

Laras and Lini are both clearly hot emeritus

Also, being fat is clearly a good thing for people in the hospitality industry

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Random and perhaps unwelcome thought but now that in 2021 we're trying to excise phrases like "black magic" and "blacklist" and "master/slave" from casual language, I wonder whether Black Ajah will be rethought

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you should probably assume everyone in the series is hot unless the books go to great lengths to tell you how dogshit ugly they are, such as olver or literally anyone birgitte is attracted to

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

Random and perhaps unwelcome thought but now that in 2021 we're trying to excise phrases like "black magic" and "blacklist" and "master/slave" from casual language, I wonder whether Black Ajah will be rethought

quote:

“You can’t call them black magicians,” I said.
“You realize that we’re using black in its metaphorical sense here,” said Nightingale.
“It doesn’t matter,” I said. “Words change what they mean, don’t they? Some people would call me a black magician.”
“You’re not a magician,” he said. “You’re barely even an apprentice.”
“You’re changing the subject,” I said.
“What should we call them?” he asked patiently.
“Ethically challenged magical practitioners,” I said.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Ethically Compromised Ajah is too broad considering we have the Reds

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

my guess is they have one of the many black actors on the show make a joke about it when it first comes up and then just roll with it

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The tainted Ajah.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

look, white and all the good colors were already taken, we didn't have a lot of great options

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Invalid Validation posted:

The tainted Ajah.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Make it the white ajah and shuffle all the ajah colors. Let the lord of chaos rule.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Read that as "Ethnically Challenged" and was like drat oof

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

DarkHorse posted:

Wheel Takes' Ali clocked it immediately, like without hesitation or reservations.

was thinking this the whole time I caught up these last few pages, I think there was like a bit lip line? or something? alarms went off in her head, pretty funny

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That, uh, is kind of a major though

They pay folks a lot of money to use their faces to say stuff, makes sense they wouldn't want to cover it up.

Also face coverings drive the audio crew insane.

Still, I'm hoping she got the veil ripped off by her opponent immediately before that still and that it's still a thing because yeah that's kinda major. It's such a weird cultural tic with such a great explanation.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Hexel posted:

Far Dareis Mai killing with their face uncovered show is ruined

https://twitter.com/ace_bande/status/1456729502923431940

That actually bums me out a bit.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

RandolphCarter posted:

That actually bums me out a bit.

I get that, but...you know, visual medium. Gonna be a bitch telling Aiel characters apart in a fight if the audience can't see their faces.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Probably Shaiel just carrying an infant instead of actively pregnant. Shaiel wouldn't necessarily be veiled.

Anyway we'll see. One thing that's becoming clear is that the show writers are *very* conscious of *every* change.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Yeah the veil stuff is pretty deeply developed in the books and it comes up over and over. Changing thom's harp is whatever, but the aiel should have their desert appropriate clothing and their signature veils. You can tell people apart and tell compelling visual stories without showing people's nose.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
The evil Ajah will be Plaid as the natural corruption of the stripes of the Amyrlin/Accepted.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hulk was also shown charging Thanos with the others in the Infinity War trailer

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Anias posted:

Yeah the veil stuff is pretty deeply developed in the books and it comes up over and over. Changing thom's harp is whatever, but the aiel should have their desert appropriate clothing and their signature veils. You can tell people apart and tell compelling visual stories without showing people's nose.

Yeah, it's not like we didn't spend almost the last 2 straight years with our faces veiled. Oh man, Aiel would be really dangerous in a pandemic.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Anias posted:

Make it the white ajah and shuffle all the ajah colors. Let the lord of chaos rule.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
People shouldn't overreact just because "black" is used in a light vs. darkness theme. What about the Dark One, is it un-PC, too? And there's the evil organization that burns women at the stake called Whitecloaks. I think black ajah is okay.

Besides, we've already seen the seven traditional ajahs in that scene in the Hall of the Tower, so changing the white ajah to something else won't be happening.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

jng2058 posted:

I get that, but...you know, visual medium. Gonna be a bitch telling Aiel characters apart in a fight if the audience can't see their faces.

I've also seen somebody crying on twitter about aes sedai in hijab so theres that :v:

I guess the easiest way to not be "problematic" is to be loose with the veils

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

y'all acting like it's a change they would randomly do for no reason despite there being literally multiple points where they've talked about there being actual heated arguments on how best to tackle things from the books

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They literally only have to veil for a fight so it's not like it would interrupt the actors talking. So if they actually did remove the 'black veiled aiel' thing I would dislike it yeah. But im sure it'll be fine

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Rafe has said before theres a lot of things that are fine in print but look like poo poo on the screen.

Like a 2 paragraph explanation of a warder bond when you could just have Lan beat his chest and let out a cry. I'm assuming the Aiel veil is similiar. Personally IDGAF :toot:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hexel posted:

Rafe has said before theres a lot of things that are fine in print but look like poo poo on the screen.

Like a 2 paragraph explanation of a warder bond when you could just have Lan beat his chest and let out a cry. I'm assuming the Aiel veil is similiar. Personally IDGAF :toot:

The warder bond is one thing, but Aiel covering their faces to kill is a big part of who and what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Aiel work fine without the veil, it's a cool bit of flavour but that's all