Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Phenotype posted:

The Vetinari bits, I think, would have been fine if they were never repeated. I don't mind a one-off where it turns out Vetinari knows sleight of hand and can juggle, because he's an Assassin and literally Machiavelli, so it's not out of the realm of imagination that he can deal with a brief Klatchian spy mission, or investigate the island and figure out it's gonna sink again. But it's definitely the spot that you point to when people talk about Vetinari getting Flanderized or whatever so that he can magically do anything. I dunno how you can hate Gulli Gulli and Beti when you read it for the first time through, though.

Up until then it's easy to understand how Vetinari stayed in power having managed to become Patrician, but it's not particularly clear how a man whose personal brand is being equally unpopular with everyone could have convinced the movers and shakers to let him take the job in the first place. Seeing him have to live off his wits and personally get the donkey down from the minaret gives us some idea of how he might have done that, and the only other time we see him actually have to do the legwork himself is in Night Watch, when we see him as a young man.

Xander77 posted:

idgi. "Mrs Palm" is a masturbation reference, right? So how does the joke work regarding prostituion?

Ah. Like Hill Street Blues, which was apparently some TV show? Which is a pun about the music genre and cops, who are dressed in blue? Just like how the Watch... is dressed in Octarine? Deals with magic? Has any sort of connection to the color at all?

I'll take "overanalysing a simple substitution" for AM$500 please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

I'll take "overanalysing a simple substitution" for AM$500 please

I mean, the post was a pretty perfect setup of "hey, what does this joke mean?" followed by a clear explanation that they just do not, in fact, understand jokes in general.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

What was that book where Vimes travels back in time to replace his mentor. Him and young Vetinari fought a bunch of bad guys at the end.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Have I mentioned how much I love this thread? This is all great really.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That was Night Watch and when you describe the premise like that it makes me astounded that the book is as good as it is.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

SirSamVimes posted:

That was Night Watch and when you describe the premise like that it makes me astounded that the book is as good as it is.

Oh it was? I thought that was a much earlier book.

I can't can't always connect books to names.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Devorum posted:

I mean, the post was a pretty perfect setup of "hey, what does this joke mean?" followed by a clear explanation that they just do not, in fact, understand jokes in general.
The original title had several meanings, the substitute title has... none. So the joke is just a Friedberg and Seltzer style "hey, we're referencing another thing, even though the reference doesn't make sense and loses whatever meaning the original had"?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 6, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

It's short for telling a man who wants sex when the woman doesn't to "go see Mrs Palm and her five daughters". And there is a point where someone refers to Rosie Palm as "having all those daughters to feed". So it's a reverse reference - instead of being a euphemism for getting sexual relief, it's literal. (Not that the girls are Rose's daughters of course, but people assume it.)

Speaking of, I really liked the joke that according to a survey done by the Guild of Merchants, the Seamstress Guild consisted of 987 women...and two needles.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Alhazred posted:

Speaking of, I really liked the joke that according to a survey done by the Guild of Merchants, the Seamstress Guild consisted of 987 women...and two needles.

Didn't it also have a woman who did actual seamstress work and was so good at it that she attracted a ton of customers?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Feliday Melody posted:

Didn't it also have a woman who did actual seamstress work and was so good at it that she attracted a ton of customers?

Yeah, it must be really frustrating to try and get your socks fixed in Ankh -Morpork.
"Hello, I would like to have my sock repaired...No, I said sock. Sock."

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Feliday Melody posted:

Sandra Battye in Night Watch, she prefers to be called a "needlewoman"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Feliday Melody posted:

Yes, but she gets the work because sometimes someone who doesn't know "seamstresses" is a polite fiction comes to get their sewing done.

There's a good joke about why they're called the Seamstresses. It's because whenever someone asks why, the answer begins "Ahem".

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Isn’t it a recurring joke that the guild does eventually start to employ needlewomen, because there are are slot of bachelors and widowers in Ahnk-Morpork?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Talking about Night Watch just made me remember the running joke about all the traps that Vimes sets for the constant trickle of assassins and lol.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I love the bit where vimes finds out the guild of assassin's is no longer accepting jobs for him and he's miffed.
Its also a really neat pay off, from drunkard captain to possibly the second most important figure in the city.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

I love the bit where vimes finds out the guild of assassin's is no longer accepting jobs for him and he's miffed.

I like how the assassins still sends students after him to teach them as a training exercise.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Alhazred posted:

I like how the assassins still sends students after him to teach them as a training exercise.

Only the ones good enough to survive though. I'dve felt bad if that girl had died.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

IIRC, that one was specifically sent there as a lesson in humility.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

El Fideo posted:

IIRC, that one was specifically sent there as a lesson in humility.

Yeah, I just worry that it could have gone worse.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Feliday Melody posted:

Yep, Sandra Battye! She was quite busy too, because there were a lot of new immigrants from out in the country who just actually wanted holes in their socks patched, and weren't quite savvy enough to get that the Seamstresses were more in the unclothing business.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Say, which Discworld book is this talking about?

"There is a moment in one of Terry Pratchett's brilliant Discworld novels where the protagonist's "organiser", a magical device reminding the owner of his daily appointments, breaks, so it starts reciting the schedule from an alternate universe where the characters made the wrong choices with awful results."

Randomly, it's from an imdb review of that The Watch TV show, to say we're in the dark universe via the show not being good etc. That sounds like a cool book idea, and my googling has failed.

I do intend to read many Discworld books anyway, starting with Guards! Guards! And I may go back for some earlier ones later. I had read part of the first book, and watched that Color of Magic mini-series which I liked. Also liked the adventure game back in the day.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That's Jingo.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That's in Jingo. It's a fairly minor plot detail, more for flavour than anything else.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nice, thanks! It does sound fun how there seem to be so many imaginative fun asides in these.

On general reading advice, any downside to reading the first few City Watch books first, then seeing what else I dig, more or less chronological? Not to get ahead of myself and commit to all 40 or so, when I tend to read like three books a year. Even if I'd like to raise that. I'm guessing you pretty much can't go wrong, you just might miss some things like characters having been introduced already etc?

Also, I had heard from my fam who are fans that the books hit their stride a little later, with Guards Guards especially. Though also having love for Mort and Wyrd Sisters etc. I've also heard that Sourcery and Eric might not be stronger ones, though I do like Rincewind, or at least the idea of Rincewind I've gotten so far. Either way, I should just crack open that copy of Guards! Guards! already. Hit me with any newbie Discworld tips and tricks though, if you will.

Also, how is Moving Pictures? And on Rincewind, if I picked up say Interesting Times as my first one for him, other than that TV mini-series, would that make sense and read well for example? If one was to read just a few Rincewind books, which ones would you go for? And any other must read top of the pile ones?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 8, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Not to get ahead of myself and commit to all 40 or so, when I tend to read like three books a year.

Don't worry, people who get into Discworld and "only read three books a year" are usually heard rationalising with "well, the Watch novels are really just one big book if you think about it".

I don't see too much wrong with your path. The Witches books and Death books are far better than the Rincewind books, though. And Moving Pictures is a good read that introduces Mustrum Ridcully, who is an important character throughout.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Heavy Metal posted:

Nice, thanks! It does sound fun how there seem to be so many imaginative fun asides in these.

On general reading advice, any downside to reading the first few City Watch books first, then seeing what else I dig, more or less chronological? Not to get ahead of myself and commit to all 40 or so, when I tend to read like three books a year. Even if I'd like to raise that. I'm guessing you pretty much can't go wrong, you just might miss some things like characters having been introduced already etc?

Also, I had heard from my fam who are fans that the books hit their stride a little later, with Guards Guards especially. Though also having love for Mort and Wyrd Sisters etc. I've also heard that Sourcery and Eric might not be stronger ones, though I do like Rincewind, or at least the idea of Rincewind I've gotten so far. Either way, I should just crack open that copy of Guards! Guards! already. Hit me with any newbie Discworld tip and tricks though, if you will.

Also, how is Moving Pictures? And on Rincewind, if I picked up say Interesting Times as my first one for him, other than that TV mini-series, would that make sense and read well for example? If one was to read just a few Rincewind books, which ones would you go for? And any other must read top of the pile ones?

fantasy parody was a popular genre in the 80s, and the first few discworld books weren't very special. mort was the first really discwordly book. reading the various series, eg. the city watch, in chronological order is fine. you might miss the significance of some side characters that were introduced in other series, but it's not really that important in the city watch series.

rincewind is basically a boring character that's dropped in interesting situations. i wouldn't recommend interesting times as a first rincewind book, because you'll get more out of the book if you've read earlier ones. if you're interested in rincewind, then i recommend that you start with the first discworld novel.

moving pictures is almost a standalone novel. you'd get slightly more out of it if you know who the patrician is or how the wizard university works.

if you were to just read one discworld novel to find out what the all thing is about, i'd recommend mort.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

YggiDee posted:

That's in Jingo. It's a fairly minor plot detail, more for flavour than anything else.

A fairly minor plot point with a fairly depressing payoff (that thankfully isn't the reality we are in).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks folks!

Since you were saying the first few weren't as special, how do you feel about Sourcery? I was mainly looking to try a Rincewind that isn't the first two, for my own kooky reasons. Plus I already tried the first one, and watched that mini-series.

I've tried a bit of an audiobook version of Mort, though going the paper route for most of them. I think the standard kid apprentice beginning made it feel a bit boring to me, but it sounds like it goes places. I'll give that book a proper try sometime.

And I dig Chandler, so I gotta meet this hard boiled Vimes guy.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 8, 2021

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks folks!

Since you were saying the first few weren't as special, how do you feel about Sourcery? I was mainly looking to try a Rincewind that isn't the first two, for my own kooky reasons. Plus I already tried the first one, and watched that mini-series.

I've tried a bit of an audiobook version of Mort, though going the paper route for most of them. I think the standard kid apprentice beginning made it feel a bit boring to me, but it sounds like it goes places. I'll give that book a proper try sometime.

And I dig Chandler, so I gotta meet this hard boiled Vimes guy.

Personally, Sourcery felt to me like the last of the ‘old-style fantasy parody’ type Discworld books- the world settled down into its more familiar form afterwards, with Wyrd Sisters, Guards Guards and Moving Pictures setting up Lancre, the Watch and Ankh-Morpork/UU plot lines and characters following shortly after.

It’s very apocalyptic and I rather enjoyed it, but it’s definitely the transitional point between the old and current Discworld.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Good to know, thanks.

One more question, anywhere you can read the short story The Troll Bridge?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Good to know, thanks.

One more question, anywhere you can read the short story The Troll Bridge?

https://www.bookscool.com/classic/Troll-Bridge-693490/1

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, much appreciated!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

e X posted:

Isn’t it a recurring joke that the guild does eventually start to employ needlewomen, because there are are slot of bachelors and widowers in Ahnk-Morpork?

It's literally a thing in Night Watch. Palm's flatmate who's name I forget is an *actual* seamstress and seems to get more customers than Palm does.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I always thought Dis-organiser was a very dull pun until I found out that the traditional name for the city of demons is... Dis.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So I've been "reading" the series in order by listening to the audiobooks. Up to 'The Fifth Elephant', they were mostly read by Nigel Planer, except for a few of the Witches books. Beginning with 'Fifth Elephant', though, they seem to have switched to Stephen Briggs. Briggs is fine in absolute terms as a narrator, but I really prefer Nigel Planer's characterization of certain characters -- especially Death, Vimes, Carrot, and Detritus (and the other trolls in general). Does anyone else have a strong preference for one reader over the other?

Imagined fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 8, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Imagined posted:

So I've been "reading" the series in order by listening to the audiobooks. Up to 'The Fifth Elephant', they were mostly read by Nigel Planer, except for a few of the Witches books. Beginning with 'Fifth Elephant', though, they seem to have switched to Stephen Briggs. Briggs is fine in absolute terms as a narrator, but I really prefer Nigel Planer's characterization of certain characters -- especially Death, Vimes, Carrot, and Detritus (and the other trolls in general). Does anyone else have a strong preference for one reader over the other?

Briggs is way better than Planer.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I did not enjoy Planer. Very poor comic timing, and really bad voices.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

ChubbyChecker posted:

moving pictures is almost a standalone novel. you'd get slightly more out of it if you know who the patrician is or how the wizard university works.

I'm up to Lords and Ladies right now and Moving Pictures was the most difficult to finish so far. Just was not very good.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

El Fideo posted:

I did not enjoy Planer. Very poor comic timing, and really bad voices.

His Angua was so awful I couldn't finish Men At Arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Moving Pictures was just way too close to the level of puns and fantasy analogs of modern culture and technology of something like a Piers Anthony novel than I ever want from Discworld.