Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Lightning Returns question: I've done the main quests in the four areas, all ticked in my Quest log. So I'm running around doing sidequests and those are getting knocked out too. But there don't seem to be new main quests appearing. Is it just going to be this until the final day? I just got to Day 6 and am wondering if I should start fast forwarding through days with the inn or something since the majority of my side quests are complete too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I gotta see if I still have this sheet of paper I had as a kid that had all the elements I wanted on my main characters in Chrono Cross. It was such a pain in the rear end when they would wipe them off your characters and you had to remember what you had on them.

I do love that game though, the OST was :discourse:.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah it's not impossible to read it and understand what it's trying to say, and honestly the laser doesn't even deal that much damage, like my first time playing I got hit by it and went "Oh, whoops, guess it was trying to say not to attack it, oh well." Maybe I'd feel different if I'd gotten a game over from it or something, though.

I think the real issue for me is (as it also is with 4-6), if you queue up an attack during, or immediately before the transition, you've committed to swinging before the game tells you not to.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Artelier posted:

Lightning Returns question: I've done the main quests in the four areas, all ticked in my Quest log. So I'm running around doing sidequests and those are getting knocked out too. But there don't seem to be new main quests appearing. Is it just going to be this until the final day? I just got to Day 6 and am wondering if I should start fast forwarding through days with the inn or something since the majority of my side quests are complete too.
I'd need a guide to really say yes or no but I think the only thing that pops up are some end of days side quests when you get into the last chunk of days. I think there's a day change cinematic right around the point you're at that unlocks that phase if I'm not completely remembering it wrong.

Most people tend to finish early and pass at least a few days. If you're not extincting monsters you're basically ready to push into the end day. If you are extincting monsters you're probably gonna skip a day or so anyway unless you lost at a boss and didn't reload.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Nice, thanks! Going to finish up the few quests I can figure out, and then fast forward through the days then.

EDIT: I unlocked The Extra Day and you're telling me I didn't actually need to hunt like 100 Niblets and skeletons????? FUUUUU

Artelier fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 9, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So will the new version of FFV have the GBA localization?

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So will the new version of FFV have the GBA localization?

It looks like a retranslation again - the line from Greg ("I made an error in judgment!") in the Steam Screenshots doesn't match GBA or PS1.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Complete_Cynic posted:

It looks like a retranslation again - the line from Greg ("I made an error in judgment!") in the Steam Screenshots doesn't match GBA or PS1.

Boo

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
An error in gregment has been made.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
All the talk in the previous thread about the SFF mod has me replaying FFXII and oh man the analysis paralysis with the rebalanced jobs. Even with knowing I can respec for free at will I'm like making lists and job combos trying to figure out who should be what.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

All the talk in the previous thread about the SFF mod has me replaying FFXII and oh man the analysis paralysis with the rebalanced jobs. Even with knowing I can respec for free at will I'm like making lists and job combos trying to figure out who should be what.

I'm about halfway through the main story now and I still have analysis paralysis :v:

The changes to what abilities the jobs have (and the rebalanced weapons and armor) basically threw a good amount of what I knew about character building in FFXII out the window. Knights don't care about getting White Robes anymore, for example, because White Robes no longer boost holy damage. Black magick is mostly single-target now, with the exception of Blizzard spells and high-end spells like Scathe, so Black Mages are no longer the "basically just delete every mob pack you see" nukes they are in TZA.

One thing I'd recommend is having a couple characters built to be tanks. I have Basch as a Knight/Bushi and Penelo as a Foebreaker/Monk acting as my tanks, with Decoy cast on them even during random exploration. It helps a lot with the higher enemy damage going around.

Also Machinist/Time Mage works pretty great as a combo. Machinist doesn't get Hastega with the rebalanced jobs so there's no "wasted" Hastega caster here. Instead he's just a really strong general support guy with reliable ranged damage.

The main thing I'm considering changing around is whether I want one more melee DPS character instead of two magical DPS characters. Right now I have Fran as an Archer/Red Mage and Ashe as a Black Mage/Uhlan, and I'm considering changing that to a Black Mage/Red Mage Fran and a Bushi/Uhlan Ashe (with Archer going to Basch to replace Bushi).'

What's kinda fun is that my advice in base TZA would be "don't overthink it, each job was designed to stand alone anyway, any two jobs is better than any one job" but in SFF, the jobs were actually rebalanced to not be quite complete on their own and have room to be improved or filled out by a secondary job. And the combat is challenging enough that it actually rewards some thinking about party roles and light optimization.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 9, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I'm gonna try to play and finally beat FFV starting tomorrow! I'm gonna do a Four Job Fiesta too to make it spicier.

I got

Monk
Mystic Knight
Bard
Dragoon

Got any tips for me?

Thanks!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I used this for off season random assignment.

https://ffv.thinknathan.ca/

Though I think I may legit try to the FJF in June 2022.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I would always just put a number corresponding with a job then do a RNG calculation in excel 4 times

1=freelancer
2=black mage

and so on

And then exclude the jobs you don’t like

Then RNG among the remaining numbers! Reroll if it breaks a rule like “no two berserkers”

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Respeccing in XII is welcome but a complete pain in the arse.

One mod that would be good for FF6 is one that strips all Espers of their level-up bonuses, and put them somewhere else.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zurtilik posted:

Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I'm gonna try to play and finally beat FFV starting tomorrow! I'm gonna do a Four Job Fiesta too to make it spicier.

I got

Monk
Mystic Knight
Bard
Dragoon

Got any tips for me?

Thanks!

Monk will punch through early game easily. When it falls off, bard gets rolling.

Assuming it's unchanged mechanics, spell blade status effects always hit if the attack hits. It's way powerful with things like break blade or silence blading rug wizard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Respeccing in XII is welcome but a complete pain in the arse.

Really wish they'd implemented some way to buy multiple licenses at a time :negative:

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I never got to far with FFV, mostly due to FOMO with the job system. Any good guides or suggestions for job leveling? Like what character should go job A until whatever point and then go to job B.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I'm leaning into Penelo's magic stats and am making her the Black Mage / Uhlan. The only combo I totally get as fine is the Machinist / Time Mage combo. Basch I thought I'd go Knight/Bushi with Ashe as the Monk/Foebreaker. Though I thought Knight/Bushi makes you overlap the two strongest weapons though? Or does that not really matter in the long run?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I never got to far with FFV, mostly due to FOMO with the job system. Any good guides or suggestions for job leveling? Like what character should go job A until whatever point and then go to job B.

A healer, a magic-caster, and two different fighters will see you through. Switch around with jobs because the upper levels are expensive and not really worth it outside of completionism.

The stat difference between the four heroes is negible.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ff5 isn't really that type of game. Your minute to minute job choices depend on what jobs trivialize the random and boss encounters from their innate abilities and they level up a bit beside. You don't really get to (nearly completely optional) big brain character building until some end game farm spots open up.

If your FOMO is strong even knowing that then you're a good candidate for an option I am reluctant to recommend as often as the rest of the thread which is a first game fiesta. Can't miss out if your conduct bans it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm leaning into Penelo's magic stats and am making her the Black Mage / Uhlan. The only combo I totally get as fine is the Machinist / Time Mage combo. Basch I thought I'd go Knight/Bushi with Ashe as the Monk/Foebreaker. Though I thought Knight/Bushi makes you overlap the two strongest weapons though? Or does that not really matter in the long run?

So that's sort of why I'm considering separating Knight and Bushi. It's a combo I love in TZA, but in SFF, I wonder if I might want a separate katana-user and greatsword-user.

One note is that greatswords are no longer one of the strongest DPS weapons in SFF, though. Greatswords can't combo in SFF, but they all have auto-buffs on them and some more evade. They're meant to be defensive weapons for the Knight rather than the ultimate shitwrecker DPS weapons. So in SFF, Knight/Bushi doesn't necessarily bring two of your best DPS weapon options together--it does, however, put one of the best DPS weapons on a character you might end up using more often as a tank.

Black Mage/Red Mage, meanwhile, is even better in SFF than in TZA, mostly because Warmage (the augment that refunds some MP based on magick damage dealt) is only available to Red Mage until very late in the game, when Black Mage can get it from an esper. Combining Black Mage and Red Mage means you get all the raw power of Black Mage with all the MP-efficiency of Red Mage, some white magick, even some good time magick, and a good backup melee option to boot.

Also worth noting is that you don't have to use all 12 jobs. You could have two Bushis or even two Black/Red Mages or anything like that and probably end up with a much stronger team than I have (I decided I wanted to use all 12 jobs just for the sake of it).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 9, 2021

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
It might have been a fever dream but didn't they release an updated version of FFXII recently? Got this urge to play it again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

It might have been a fever dream but didn't they release an updated version of FFXII recently? Got this urge to play it again.

Yeah, the Zodiac Age remaster, which is on PC, PS4, Xbox, and Switch.

What we're talking about here is a mod for the PC version of Zodiac Age called Struggle for Freedom which rebalances the whole game to be more challenging but also more strategic, and also fixes some of the previously-useless weapon types like axes/hammers.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Completely broken job/combos, will murder all:
Ranger gets rapid fire that goes onto a mystic knight for rapid spell blading.
Chemist !mix.
Putting bard here since stop song, speed song, and level song are all amazing.
Blue mage if you put in the work to get the good stuff.
Time mage's slow and haste make you run circles around enemies.

Good combos/jobs that can carry:
Element rods give +50% damage to that element so -aga spells are great damage on black mage (or air knife for wind).
Oh air knife works with a certain summon you get later making it better than any other on damage/mp.
Samurai can just throw money at their problems and even better if you have a way to lower defense through !mix.
Zerky's ultimate axe scales off of magic and you give a mastered summon magic to zerky to boost magic.

Other stuff:
Lots of things have good steals to thief up.
Red mage is fine early, falls off hard once -ara spells become bad, but has dualcast at the end of a ridiculous ap grind.

These are just fun stuff I can remember off the top of my head. No way a complete list of crazy job combos you can use to absolutely go bonkers. I mentioned it with zerky but a lot of abilities you slap onto another character give stats based on that job. So giving a caster ability will give magic (summoner gives the most). Jobs don't really replace others like in FF3 so just play what's fun.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 9, 2021

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Harrow posted:

Yeah, the Zodiac Age remaster, which is on PC, PS4, Xbox, and Switch.

What we're talking about here is a mod for the PC version of Zodiac Age called Struggle for Freedom which rebalances the whole game to be more challenging but also more strategic, and also fixes some of the previously-useless weapon types like axes/hammers.

Awesome, might need to pick that up later on the Switch.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Harrow posted:

So that's sort of why I'm considering separating Knight and Bushi. It's a combo I love in TZA, but in SFF, I wonder if I might want a separate katana-user and greatsword-user.

One note is that greatswords are no longer one of the strongest DPS weapons in SFF, though. Greatswords can't combo in SFF, but they all have auto-buffs on them and some more evade. They're meant to be defensive weapons for the Knight rather than the ultimate shitwrecker DPS weapons. So in SFF, Knight/Bushi doesn't necessarily bring two of your best DPS weapon options together--it does, however, put one of the best DPS weapons on a character you might end up using more often as a tank.

Black Mage/Red Mage, meanwhile, is even better in SFF than in TZA, mostly because Warmage (the augment that refunds some MP based on magick damage dealt) is only available to Red Mage until very late in the game, when Black Mage can get it from an esper. Combining Black Mage and Red Mage means you get all the raw power of Black Mage with all the MP-efficiency of Red Mage, some white magick, even some good time magick, and a good backup melee option to boot.

Also worth noting is that you don't have to use all 12 jobs. You could have two Bushis or even two Black/Red Mages or anything like that and probably end up with a much stronger team than I have (I decided I wanted to use all 12 jobs just for the sake of it).

Now I'm not sure if I want to go all in on Penelo and make her BLM/RDM and figure out what to do with Fran as an Archer/? and how to split up Knight and Bushi. What about Knight/Monk and Bushi/Foebreaker? (or Knight/Foebreaker Bushi/Monk)

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Zurtilik posted:

I got

Monk
Mystic Knight
Bard
Dragoon

Got any tips for me?

Thanks!

I could be misremembering but I think you have some nice synergy between monk (whose damage scales purely off of level) and Bard (who has a song that raises character levels gradually for the duration of a fight) which should let your unarmed brawlers hit like a truck on certain boss fights

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Now I'm not sure if I want to go all in on Penelo and make her BLM/RDM and figure out what to do with Fran as an Archer/? and how to split up Knight and Bushi. What about Knight/Monk and Bushi/Foebreaker? (or Knight/Foebreaker Bushi/Monk)

Knight/Monk would work pretty well in SFF. It's another of those combos I wouldn't do in TZA, but in SFF, Knight and Monk compete a lot for espers to get their white magick--if you put them on the same character, there's no more competition! Knight/Monk is probably the closest you can get to like a true Paladin build. Bushi/Foebreaker would work, too, because you get the heavy armor from Foebreaker to boost katana damage, and you can also go axe and shield to go tank mode if you want.

For Archer, I'd pick something with heavy armor, assuming you want to go all-in on bow damage. If you don't want to double up on jobs, that'd be Uhlan, which would probably work fairly well. Uhlan also gets some black and arcane magick in SFF (the mod tries to make it into something of a pseudo-Dark Knight job).

But yeah I'm unsure on how many attack mages I want, too. On the one hand, Archer/Red Mage has more ways to boost elements in SFF than it does in TZA because there are a couple of light armor pieces that boost water and thunder damage (as well as the Burning Bow to boost fire damage), and magick DPS is actually pretty good, especially if the enemy is weak to fire and you can hit them with Oil. On the other hand, at endgame, I'm pretty sure melee DPS will still pull ahead once combo rates start to skyrocket with the Genji Glove.

I will say that the job setup I've posted earlier in this thread has been working really well for me so far, though, so I'm probably just overthinking it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Re: FF12/SFF, remember that samurai swords scale a bit based off magic so they’re good for mages so you don’t burn through all your MP

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

One mod that would be good for FF6 is one that strips all Espers of their level-up bonuses, and put them somewhere else.

The mod you’re looking for could be Brave New World. It separates out the level-up bonuses from normal levels and instead gives the player a separate track of Esper Levels that have to be manually invested into different Espers to get the bonus.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

Re: FF12/SFF, remember that samurai swords scale a bit based off magic so they’re good for mages so you don’t burn through all your MP

Yeah, if you were going to have a melee weapon for a mage, katanas and maces are a good call. Though it's worth noting that katanas scale with Strength noticeably more than Magick so if you're wanting to use a katana as a main weapon, you're better off with heavy armor than mystic.

Another option for conserving MP is the Shades of Black technick, which SFF gives to both Black and Red Mages. It casts a random black magick spell for no MP cost with an equal chance to be any spell. Around the time you first get it, and for a while afterwards, it's incredibly good. It's a lot of fun to watch your mage just randomly bust out a Scathe or Flare and wipe an enemy pack off the map. That's how I've been conserving MP for my Red and Black Mages until I got a Sage's Ring, which has been glued to Ashe's finger since I picked it up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shades of Black is a really cool and fun addition, hell yeah.

Machinist, red mage, and Bushi are all excellent subjobs for casters. Guns don’t scale at all and allow you to use items (and lure/decoy), red mage is a good sub job for obvious reasons— it’s nice to be able to cast cura as a black mage, and Bushi lets you basically just become a viable physical DPS with a shitload of HP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shades of Black was in the original game, it just kinda sucked until IZJS/Zodiac Age. In the original PS2 version, Shades of Black had weighted probabilities and would much more likely cast a low-level spell. There was never any reason to use it at all. In IZJS (and therefore Zodiac Age), Shades of Black was changed to have an equal chance to cast any black magick spell, and suddenly became extremely good for the mid-game.

In Zodiac Age, Shades of Black is available to Foebreaker, Monk, Bushi, Shikari, Archer, and Uhlan--basically everyone except Knight and mages. As a result that meant that it was only really good on a Bushi, because Bushis could wear the mystic armor required to make Shades of Black do actual damage. But it was really good on Bushi.

SFF's change is that Shades of Black is now something mages get instead of melee characters, which is a buff both to mages (free spells in the mid-game, when your MP is hardest to manage) and indirectly to Shades of Black. It's pretty great.

SFF did add Shades of White, which casts a random white magick buff spell. It's interesting but I haven't found nearly as many uses for it as Shades of Black.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Zurtilik posted:

I got

Monk
Mystic Knight
Bard
Dragoon

Got any tips for me?

Thanks!

Also maybe follow a guide to make sure you get all Bard songs as soon as they're available. There are some that trivialize fights or even entire dungeons (the undead damage song makes the world 3 pyramid in particular so much easier to deal with). Between spellblade and songs you can probably reasonably shutdown almost any fight with status effects. Dragoon is kind of the odd man out in this team, but dragoon usually doesn't synergize super well with other classes to begin with. Giving them a chicken knife and spellblade might not be a bad call for some situations

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Wrapping up FF4 now in preparation for FF5 (I got real excited last week and bought 4, wasn't planning on playing it again after beating 1+3pr) and I am shocked at how much I dig this game. It is definitely hokey and melodramatic in some places and the sheer number of fakeout deaths is just... weird but I have had a great time. I'll also be finishing in a cool 15~ hours which reminds me how much I can enjoy a game that has snappy pacing to it. I am also shocked at how much I just plain FORGOT about the game, having not played it since the DS version came out 10+ years ago a giant robot emerges from a tower and fights tanks and airships?! What?!!

Anyway bring on FF5! My decision now is to play it legit for the first time... probably more than a decade, or to do one of the Fiesta runs. I never finished my run from this summer :-X

edit:

zedprime posted:

I just got to the part in 4 where you return to the underworld and laughed at the part where they very nearly copy the script from FF2 Cids death but FF4 Cid just falls asleep.

They got a good chuckle out of me with that one

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 9, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think it was common back in the day to play an FF over a longer period of time so any plot beats that seem repetitive might not seem so if completed over a longer period of time.

I remember seeing “65+” on a lot of game reviews in things like Gamepro as an answer to “how many hours of gameplay”. I don’t know who is playing a single play through of FF5 for more than 20 hours, but that’s a bit absurd.

I think everyone got REALLY good at video games. Like the ease by which a ton of people did classic WoW and were “done” after like 2 weeks, while people would play WoW all day during vanilla and not hit 60 for months

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Would love it if JRPGs were like 6-12 hours start to finish on the main scenario, randomizers and fiestas have legitimately ruined playing any of the original versions of the games for me

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I just got to the part in 4 where you return to the underworld and laughed at the part where they very nearly copy the script from FF2 Cids death but FF4 Cid just falls asleep.

E. The correct length for games like JRPGs where you pretty statically run over a map is 20-30 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Complete_Cynic posted:

I hope we get to fight classic enemies like Karl Boss and Y Burns.