Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

This is the right answer only because he’ll find the piece immediately after the brick link order ships

I wouldn’t even be mad, honestly. A spare is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bad Munki posted:

On that note, are there any guides to effective sorting systems for loose collections like this?
Since everything in that pile belongs to a set the solution is to build all of those sets at the same time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Also, I think it is Brickowl that allows you to input all your parts and it will spit out what sets you can build. But since you know what you are building, doing it by color is going to be easiest. It also makes it easy to see what is missing. You don't have to worry about having put the part in the wrong piece size group. If the black 1x6 tile isn't in the pile then you don't have it.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I sort my pieces mostly based on "type" (wedges, tiles, slopes, inverted slopes, arches, windows, hinges, that kind of thing) and if I have a lot of a particular type like bricks or plates I will sort those into common sizes (1x2, 1x4, 2x4 etc.). Pieces that are clear, printed, stickered, or chromed go in their own groups that are handled with greater care. The key is to save space by grouping pieces together that you can either immediately find what you need because you have lots of them, or because they stand out against the other pieces. I put 1x1 bricks, cylinders, cones, and headlight bricks together because they are dissimilar enough that I can quickly see what I don't need when looking for a particular colour- a good reason not to sort by colour, imo. Rigid clear plastic containers for sorting through groups and clear ziploc bags to store them. Makes rebuilding old sets a breeze. It looks like there's a Caribbean Clipper in that pile?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, I think it is Brickowl that allows you to input all your parts and it will spit out what sets you can build. But since you know what you are building, doing it by color is going to be easiest. It also makes it easy to see what is missing. You don't have to worry about having put the part in the wrong piece size group. If the black 1x6 tile isn't in the pile then you don't have it.

Rebrickable also does this by sets which is way easier to input. Also tells you what mocs you have the parts for.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I started another sort with one of my 27 gallon Costco tubs full of mixed. The first half of the sort went fast since it was mostly the large pieces. Then I got into parts that are mostly 2x4 and smaller, and it's taking forever. And this is just the rough sort--plates, bricks, and everything else. A few handfuls can take like 10 minutes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lizard Combatant posted:

Rebrickable also does this by sets which is way easier to input. Also tells you what mocs you have the parts for.

Ah yeah, that's the one.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Isn't the UCS AT-AT supposed to be officially announced today? Thought I read that somewhere but haven't seen anything

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh, so is this the treasure of One Piece?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Andoman posted:

Isn't the UCS AT-AT supposed to be officially announced today? Thought I read that somewhere but haven't seen anything

Details on Brickset.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Butterfly Valley posted:

So? That means it'll come back into stock at some point, out of stock doesn't mean discontinued.

I really hope you're right, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Thanks - don’t know how I missed that. Well that’s the Xmas holiday project sorted then.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Futanari Damacy posted:

It looks like there's a Caribbean Clipper in that pile?

Yep, and a few other sets from that theme/era as well, those came with my wife. I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but at some point many years after we were married, we decided things were serious enough to intermingle our collections. It's a pretty big step in any relationship.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

An amazing set for display or action, the set can also fit an army of Snowtrooper minifigures inside – 40 in total.

I have to see this...

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Bad Munki posted:

Yep, and a few other sets from that theme/era as well, those came with my wife. I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but at some point many years after we were married, we decided things were serious enough to intermingle our collections. It's a pretty big step in any relationship.

Ha! Awesome. That's definitely how you know it's "the one."

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

obi_ant posted:

An amazing set for display or action, the set can also fit an army of Snowtrooper minifigures inside – 40 in total.

I have to see this...

There's 40 seats in the cutaway picture. :wow:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The price though! That’s, uh, a lot. :stare:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

CommanderApaul posted:

Are there? I can see maybe 26. Maybe there's just room for 40 guys.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

CommanderApaul posted:

And that's just seats, looks like you could easily stuff a bunch more standing in there.

Going by the height of the set (62cm), the height of a minifig (4cm), and then the stated height of an AT-AT (22.5m) and the average height of a human male (1.7m), this thing is actually bigger than minifig scale.

Futanari Damacy posted:

Are there? I can see maybe 26. Maybe there's just room for 40 guys.

Yes. The central row is doubled, facing back to back.

Edit: lol at you literally just counting visible seats and not inferring that the snowtroopers are also sitting on seats and there's seats behind them, in mirror image of what we can see

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 9, 2021

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
There are 38 sand blue chair pieces inside the body, plus two pilot seats in the head.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah based on the leaked pics that's what made me want it really, being able to fit a squad and all their gear in there. I hope there'll at least be a snowtrooper battle pack to help folks out.

I'm still not buying it because display space, but it's the most I've wanted one of the ginormous models.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The AT-AT is incredible. I was planning on buying it in a year or two but it's going to be hard to wait that long lol. Might have to sell some sets on ebay to offset the ridiculous price tag, because I think I want it soon. The interior really pushes it over the edge.

Only gripe is that the legs look too thick, but I get why they probably had to do that.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Carbohydrates posted:

There are 38 sand blue chair pieces inside the body, plus two pilot seats in the head.

No there's 40 seats why is this hard lol

4 banks of 8 on the top floor, and 2 banks of 4 on the bottom floor

On the bottom floor 2 on the opposite are mostly hidden by the 'entrance' to the head but you can still see the corner of one of the chairs meaning it's just the mirror image of what we can see

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Quick someone sell me 36 Snowtroopers before everyone else not in this thread has the idea to load the fucker up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If they dont release a battle pack it'll definitely jack the price of snowtroopers up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dogen posted:

I hope there'll at least be a snowtrooper battle pack to help folks out.

Do you want shop.lego.com to crash? Because that's how you make it crash.

That poo poo would be sold out for eternity.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
drat, now I have to go count up my snow troopers and see how many more I need.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

And that's just seats, looks like you could easily stuff a bunch more standing in there.

Going by the height of the set (62cm), the height of a minifig (4cm), and then the stated height of an AT-AT (22.5m) and the average height of a human male (1.7m), this thing is actually bigger than minifig scale.

Yes. The central row is doubled, facing back to back.

Edit: lol at you literally just counting visible seats and not inferring that the snowtroopers are also sitting on seats and there's seats behind them, in mirror image of what we can see

I said I can see 26. Not sure what's risible about that statement.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

This is one of the grumpiest threads on the forum, it happens.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xzzy posted:

This is one of the grumpiest threads on the forum, it happens.

This is bar none one of the least grumpy threads I've seen on the entire SA forums lol.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

veni veni veni posted:

If they dont release a battle pack it'll definitely jack the price of snowtroopers up.

Thankfully a Hoth battlepack for next year already leaked.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

LEGO designing their $800 set to get people to buy some $20 sets is very funny to me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's probably a safe bet that the type of person who would buy an $800 set would also spend $200 on battle packs, but personally I'd have no desire to since it's not like you'd display it with the interior open. I don't even keep minifigures in vehicles unless they are visible from the outside.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

I mean you didn't just say you could see 26, you also doubted the other person and the info in the official press release. It was a small moment of dumbness which I pointed out. Laugh along with it.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

tomapot posted:

drat, now I have to go count up my snow troopers and see how many more I need.

Only 30

veni veni veni posted:

It's probably a safe bet that the type of person who would buy an $800 set would also spend $200 on battle packs, but personally I'd have no desire to since it's not like you'd display it with the interior open. I don't even keep minifigures in vehicles unless they are visible from the outside.

Yup, even if I wanted to stuff all 30 inside the new AT-AT there’s none left for the battlefield. (I may have a Hoth problem, I was shocked how many Hoth rebel soldiers I had and a bag full of snow speeder pilots.)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yep. Got a couple of those on the pneumatic excavator 8851. I can check if I have an extra.

As far as sorting, I've got these hobby boxes from Home Depot that are great for small bits like these.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ha, funny you should post that. I’ve had these containers for years and was just coming in to say:

IT BEGINS…

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Was there ever a GWP that had a minifigure in a rocket ship? Kind of like those carnival rides, or was that in my head?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

I mean you didn't just say you could see 26, you also doubted the other person and the info in the official press release. It was a small moment of dumbness which I pointed out. Laugh along with it.

I didn't doubt anything, actually. It's quite a reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Ha, funny you should post that. I’ve had these containers for years and was just coming in to say:

IT BEGINS…
:getin:

Turns out the set has 4 and I was smart enough to put them all on the threaded axle for safe keeping last time I took it apart.