Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Depending on how light you want to go, you might also try hand-filing or hand-sanding. Or try regular sandpaper in a RO sander. If power tools give you too much, don't use power tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I've mentioned Direct tools outlet a few times since I've gotten a few Ryobi batteries and tools from them. They're having a 25% off sale on ryobi with some items coming with a free electrostatic sprayer (seems to be for spraying liquids for disinfection and cleaning). Shipping is $9.99:

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/Products/c/1?q=:relevance:brand:RYOBIONE%252B&text=

Whelp, my bank account is $200 lighter and I have 4 electrostatic sprayers coming that I have no idea what to do with because they appear to be free with everything and you cannot remove them from your cart. Guess my rugs will be getting power febreezed from now on.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
In a shop you'd use something like this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

HolHorsejob posted:

Speaking of angle grinders, are there any wheels/discs that are especially good for working on contoured surfaces without immediately flattening them? I was trying to smooth out a cast iron surface (horn of small anvil) but I found that the flap disc just immediately put flat spots into it, and a braided wire wheel wasn't quite aggressive enough.

I use these aluminum oxide discs like these all the time, they are a little bit flexible with the right smaller than the disc backer and between that and a soft touch you can do very light work including curves (much harder on concave curves). Obviously watch your grits, 36 eats stuff, 100 or 120 is probably where you're at if you don't want much material removal. If you don't want anything flat move the grinder around :D
https://www.amazon.com/Elitexion-Aluminum-Oxide-Resin-Diameter/dp/B07GGRNKL4

These are much more friendly than flap discs fyi

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 6, 2021

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Uncle Enzo posted:

You could try a less aggressive (higher numbered) grit flap disk. You usually see them at like 36 or 40 grit, try an 80 grit or higher.

You could also get Scotch Brite wheels or "rust removal" pads that look like a rough rock-hard sponge. Or get a backer pad and resin sandpaper disks and higher grit paper. All this stuff is usually in-stock at your local blue/orange store. There's a lot more grinder wheels than the go-to "grinding disk, cutting disk, flap disk, wire wheel". Legit ones from real manufacturers, not goofy Amazon poo poo.

Also technique- you can have a really light touch with an angle grinder if you try.

After some thought, I think I'm just looking for 2 competing requirements (aggressive enough to knock down the raw cast surface to the bare metal, gentle enough to not rip into curves.)

I tried giving it a light touch, but I was finding that the 80 grit wheel just bit right in everywhere I landed it, and I either ended up with big flats where it grabbed broadside, or gently carving thin flat trails at the tip. It doesn't help that the workbench is too high to have good ergonomics.

I don't know if this is the scotch-brite wheel per se, but I have used the stiff, coarse nylon mesh wheels to pull off laser cutter slag and found they were a good combo of aggro and accomodating. Maybe I'll mess around with that.

e:

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I use these aluminum oxide discs like these all the time, they are a little bit flexible with the right backer and between that and a soft touch you can do very light work including curves (much harder on concave curves). Obviously watch your grits, 36 eats stuff, 100 or 120 is probably where you're at if you don't want much material removal. If you don't want anything flat move the grinder around :D
https://www.amazon.com/Elitexion-Aluminum-Oxide-Resin-Diameter/dp/B07GGRNKL4

I'll give the flexible backing discs a shot, that sounds exactly like what I want. I ended up working it a bit by hand, but it was getting late so I just decided to oil it and call it a night before I got it to where I wanted.

MrOnBicycle posted:

I probably know the answer to this already, but are there any good cheap mini CNC tables that can handle making aluminum / steel parts that would fit bicycles / cars? Like making brackets or adapters etc. There are some sub $200 ones on places like Banggood etc, but yeah.

I mean the Creality 3D printer I got from there was very good, and I have no complaints... but this is a whole other level.

Not great news on this one. Cheap CNC "mills" are invariably just small routers (light frame, fast/low-torque spindle, low chipload). All of these characteristics make them non-ideal for cutting metals. Aluminum and brass are doable if you really know your machine and tools, but it's a real struggle. On top of that, these machines are cheap because there's no customer support or QC on the parts or assembled product. Machine tools have demanding tolerances if you want reliability, precise parts, and good tool life, and cheap amazon/ebay/aliexpress machines are a total crapshoot in this department.

I'd recommend them if you like projects with steep learning curves and lots of fixing/tweaking/tuning before you start, and if you can get lots of use out of them cutting plastic & wood, but if you're looking to launch right into cutting precise metal parts, they're going to be a very frustrating experience.

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 6, 2021

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Rexxed posted:

I've mentioned Direct tools outlet a few times since I've gotten a few Ryobi batteries and tools from them. They're having a 25% off sale on ryobi with some items coming with a free electrostatic sprayer (seems to be for spraying liquids for disinfection and cleaning). Shipping is $9.99:

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/Products/c/1?q=:relevance:brand:RYOBIONE%252B&text=

One important thing to keep in mind with DTO sales is that everything is always discounted, so this is 25% off of "MSRP" which may or may not be a good deal relative to usual pricing.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Direct Tools *does* however usually do really good black Friday sales (or at least used to, I haven't really needed to buy a power tool in a few years).

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
At the end of the summer, my Ryobi string trimmer got a little hosed. The string is all up inside the head and jammed. I can’t seem to get inside it. The bumper is just seized as hell. (I know its left-threaded).

Part of the problem is I cant get a good grip anywhere on the drat thing to keep it steady as I rotate. It looks like theres a spot between the rotatey bit and the neck I could grab if i got a skinny enough wrench.

Honestly considering just buying a replacement head. Any other thoughts?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just picked up a Ryobi brushless oscillating multi tool today. Holy poo poo. It's seriously impressive how accurate and fast it cuts. I can already imagine this being a massively useful tool when we remodel.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

HolHorsejob posted:

Not great news on this one. Cheap CNC "mills" are invariably just small routers (light frame, fast/low-torque spindle, low chipload). All of these characteristics make them non-ideal for cutting metals. Aluminum and brass are doable if you really know your machine and tools, but it's a real struggle. On top of that, these machines are cheap because there's no customer support or QC on the parts or assembled product. Machine tools have demanding tolerances if you want reliability, precise parts, and good tool life, and cheap amazon/ebay/aliexpress machines are a total crapshoot in this department.

I'd recommend them if you like projects with steep learning curves and lots of fixing/tweaking/tuning before you start, and if you can get lots of use out of them cutting plastic & wood, but if you're looking to launch right into cutting precise metal parts, they're going to be a very frustrating experience.

I'm not surprised. A shame because a small CNC would be really nice to have for smaller projects. Not worth the hassle though if they are poo poo.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Verman posted:

Just picked up a Ryobi brushless oscillating multi tool today. Holy poo poo. It's seriously impressive how accurate and fast it cuts. I can already imagine this being a massively useful tool when we remodel.

I'll say this, when I was working doing drywall repair those stupid oscillating tools were the best thing ever. So fast and accurate for cutting outlet holes and such.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have a few projects coming up and it will be super helpful to have a mitre saw. I think I'll be fine with a corded one.

Going up from 8in to 10in adds 50% to the cost. Is an 8in saw going to be really limiting? I don't intend to make anything that will use really big bits of wood.

Is Metabo a good choice of brand? Seems well regarded and the cost is ok.

https://www.galaxus.ch/de/s4/product/metabo-kgs-216-m-kappsaege-gehrungssaege-8499320

https://www.galaxus.ch/de/s4/product/metabo-kgs-254-m-kapp-zugsaege-eu-kappsaege-gehrungssaege-8499727

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Blade availability will be much better for a 10" saw, which is common.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

A 10" miter saw can just barely cut a 4x4, and so an 8" won't be able to. It probably can't cut a 2x6 either, which my 10" can also barely handle. Depending on what you need it for, that's either totally fine or totally unacceptable.

For reference, I have the Ryobi 10" saw, it was $90 8 or so years ago, and it's fine for what I need it for. It'd be better with a decent blade and if I ever bothered aligning it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

I'll say this, when I was working doing drywall repair those stupid oscillating tools were the best thing ever. So fast and accurate for cutting outlet holes and such.
They are not remotely a general purpose tool, but God drat are they good at what they're good at. They are perfect for things like outlet holes in drywall, cutting off nails behind trim, making relief cuts in door frames for flooring, scraping adhesive off things, etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stealie72 posted:

They are not remotely a general purpose tool, but God drat are they good at what they're good at. They are perfect for things like outlet holes in drywall, cutting off nails behind trim, making relief cuts in door frames for flooring, scraping adhesive off things, etc.

100% and when you have one and the right blades they can be used for all kinds of other things. I've used mine to cut off stuck bolts, I've removed bodywork attachments on cars with it......

They're not good at a lot of things, but they are a good specialty tool if you have a stock of different kinds of blades (that will last somewhere between 30 and 120 seconds each, but it doesn't matter when it gets the job done)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Does anyone know if those RZ masks which sponsored every DIY youtuber for a while any good? I have one of these 3M respirators, but it's such a pain to use while turning with a face shield and safety glasses. I'm hoping there's a lighter/smaller option for work that doesn't involve fumes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

stealie72 posted:

scraping adhesive off things, etc.

Welp, theres my excuse to buy one then.

Yesterday with my nephew's help, I used knives, razor blades and putty knives to try and scrape old silicone adhesive off brick and the frame around the top of the side door at my dad's house so that I could re-adhere a piece of trim that came off and it fuckin sucked.

All the silicone, or urethane or whatever the gently caress around all the windows in the house is starting to crack. My dad's idea was to just get a tube of silicone with a really thin tip and shove it in the cracks. I told him gently caress that poo poo, you cheapskate.

Whats the type of stuff that *usually* will come off in one piece if you're sort of lucky is it urethane or silicone?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trabant posted:

Does anyone know if those RZ masks which sponsored every DIY youtuber for a while any good? I have one of these 3M respirators, but it's such a pain to use while turning with a face shield and safety glasses. I'm hoping there's a lighter/smaller option for work that doesn't involve fumes.

N95s are widely available now for a buck or two a piece, if you want to go that route.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Get a GVS Elipse. Similar protection to 3M in a more compact package. I wear it under my welding hood without too much issues.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

knox_harrington posted:

I have a few projects coming up and it will be super helpful to have a mitre saw. I think I'll be fine with a corded one.

Going up from 8in to 10in adds 50% to the cost. Is an 8in saw going to be really limiting? I don't intend to make anything that will use really big bits of wood.

Is Metabo a good choice of brand? Seems well regarded and the cost is ok.

https://www.galaxus.ch/de/s4/product/metabo-kgs-216-m-kappsaege-gehrungssaege-8499320

https://www.galaxus.ch/de/s4/product/metabo-kgs-254-m-kapp-zugsaege-eu-kappsaege-gehrungssaege-8499727

8" are nice for cutting flooring and trim on-site, mostly because of portability. If it's gonna be a shop saw, 10" is good - more versatile, added weight/size is a non-factor, and easier,to find blades.

I worked with a guy who had a sliding 7 1/4" Hitachi that was awesome for the flooring we were doing but not suitable as a primary miter saw obviously

e: just saw these are sliding, so the main limitation will be depth of cut. 8" is probably fine

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Trabant posted:

The 3M N95s with the valve to make breathing easier are all you really need for wood dust and I find they fit with safety glasses much better than a respirator and don't fog safety glasses. The one's without the outflow valve very much fog my safety glasses.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm not surprised. A shame because a small CNC would be really nice to have for smaller projects. Not worth the hassle though if they are poo poo.

It seems like if you just need it on occasion, using a service like sendcutsend or emachineshop is a far more sane option than trying to set up your own CNC metal shop. The buy in cost is just too high if you need to work with metals strong and thick enough to work for automotive bracketry.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

IOwnCalculus posted:

It seems like if you just need it on occasion, using a service like sendcutsend or emachineshop is a far more sane option than trying to set up your own CNC metal shop. The buy in cost is just too high if you need to work with metals strong and thick enough to work for automotive bracketry.

Yeah I have to explore these options. Not in the US though, so probably going to be harder. Not that I'm in need right now anyway, but it's good to know where to find the service.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Platystemon posted:

N95s are widely available now for a buck or two a piece, if you want to go that route.

deimos posted:

Get a GVS Elipse. Similar protection to 3M in a more compact package. I wear it under my welding hood without too much issues.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The 3M N95s with the valve to make breathing easier are all you really need for wood dust and I find they fit with safety glasses much better than a respirator and don't fog safety glasses. The one's without the outflow valve very much fog my safety glasses.

Thank you all -- good suggestions!

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

deimos posted:

I've been interested in these masks (GVS doesn't make them, there are a bunch of rebrands, but I'd be down to try it), but I can't seem to find OV/AG cartridges that work with that particular model - just their more normal-shaped model, the GVS467 and a few other model numbers.

Probably good for woodturning as OP wants, but worth keeping in mind.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Does anyone make a ratcheting dog bone wrench anymore? I have a Craftsman one I bought many years ago and it’s nice to not have to break out a socket set for a lot of smaller things. I was thinking of giving my brother one for Christmas but it looks like they’re not a common tool anymore.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Casimir Radon posted:

Does anyone make a ratcheting dog bone wrench anymore? I have a Craftsman one I bought many years ago and it’s nice to not have to break out a socket set for a lot of smaller things. I was thinking of giving my brother one for Christmas but it looks like they’re not a common tool anymore.

Husky makes some ratcheting open end and closed end wrenches.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Is there a goon consensus recommended pressure washer? Looking to have something that lasts.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Changed my mind about masks/respirators -- I found the next one:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Trabant posted:

:sickos:

I need this to intimidate my rivals.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

Is there a goon consensus recommended pressure washer? Looking to have something that lasts.

I was looking at getting a pressure washer a few years ago and watched videos and read reviews and whatnot. What I took away from it that it was a war of PSI marketing, so all of the manufacturers were pushing their motors and pumps too hard to get the good numbers, but all of the consumer grade ones had short lifespans. There was a guy that was selling kits of some sort (this was years ago and my memory is not great) that would beef up the weaknesses and increase the durability quite a bit. Sorry I'm so vague on all of this.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Trabant posted:

I've seriously considered this for beard reasons, do you like it?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Trabant posted:

This would actually be pretty nice for crawl space work where I'm crawling around on my stomach

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Looks pretty dope. The "breathing apparatus" I mean but I can see a lot of places probably not allowing its use for the following reasons:
The nose piece may not seal as well as if you just straight up had a fit tested mask*** over your face, and talking would be difficult without taking it right off, and might sound funny with plugged nose and whatnot.
I've never used a full face mask, but have used half masks on numerous occasions, and although your voice is muffled, as are the peoples around you due to their masks, you can still usually figure out what they're trying to say.

***Thats properly adjusted, you are clean shaven, and the mask itself is in good condition etc etc etc etc.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trabant posted:

instead of a nose clip it needs (modified) pince-nes spectacles.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommonShore posted:

instead of a nose clip it needs (modified) pince-nes spectaclessafety glasses.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
For blasting wood all over the place like planing and grinding and poo poo I find that this mask https://www.webstaurantstore.com/3m...jhoCVJMQAvD_BwE and some fancy pantsy googles (read: highschool lab class cast offs) is pretty awesome. Extra points for hoodie hood up, through your coveralls, over a baseball cap and big-rear end ear protection over all of that and you barely have to shower at all after you're done. Also, you look like some kind of deranged escaped convict.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I think the last part is a feature as it keeps people from bothering you while you're trying to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Michael Cthulhu uses a respirator like that one. I'm not sure how strong of a recommendation that is, though, because he also occasionally does some pretty dubious stuff while working on his swords.