Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

:w00t:

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

So does this mean it will be a Jackanape or a Harpy?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

pretty soft girl posted:

Would love it if JRPGs were like 6-12 hours start to finish on the main scenario, randomizers and fiestas have legitimately ruined playing any of the original versions of the games for me

Voice of Cards took me a little over 14 hours for the first playthrough, but I was taking it pretty slow. It was really nice having even one modern RPG that's brisk and doesn't take a month to finish a casual run of.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Part of feels a bit still being this hyped about a game you can easily find some :filez: for. But I also hope if these remasters do well Square will MAYBE put some more effort in future retro rereleases and not uhhh... Whatever the gently caress they were doing there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zurtilik posted:

Part of feels a bit still being this hyped about a game you can easily find some :filez: for. But I also hope if these remasters do well Square will MAYBE put some more effort in future retro rereleases and not uhhh... Whatever the gently caress they were doing there.

Square Enix announces FF7:PR will be sold as NFTs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope we get to fight classic enemies like Karl Boss and Y Burns.

I plan to try to mod in the PS1 names in hopefully tomorrow after release. We'll see how it goes!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

jokes posted:

I remember seeing “65+” on a lot of game reviews in things like Gamepro as an answer to “how many hours of gameplay”. I don’t know who is playing a single play through of FF5 for more than 20 hours, but that’s a bit absurd.

I mean, people who do FJFs in particular know FF5 like the back of their hand, and what you can skip and what you shouldn't, and ways to shut down the bosses, etc. FF5 has a lot of stuff to do and find, and if you didn't have it memorized and knew how to cheese everything, and wanted to complete it all, I can easily see that being 40+ hours.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah FF5 can be pretty long if you're actually trying to do everything. Fiesta runs usually skip like a third of the game's content and if you know what you're doing you can break the game over your knee, but for a first time blind playthrough aiming to complete all content that sounds about right.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have a lot of gil I should use zeninaga on the final boss

Oh the game is over, that was easy

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In the time of guides, friends, and YouTubes of games I tend to forget that you should be wandering around for hours because you don't know where the script trigger is hiding to advance the plot.

That's another point that grinding has been more often a fill in for the wander experience. The new experience curves in the PRs seem to assume you're following a guide though so that's nice.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

zedprime posted:

In the time of guides, friends, and YouTubes of games I tend to forget that you should be wandering around for hours because you don't know where the script trigger is hiding to advance the plot.

Plenty of people don't know you have to go immediately back to the library after getting the black chocobo, so there would definitely be a lot of wandering around if you don't know that. Same with going back to the ruined town after getting the airship, though at the very least it's fairly easy to hit that one by accident while you're flying around.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I haven't played a non-fiesta run of FF5 in over a decade, and I don't think I even know how.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Fister Roboto posted:

I haven't played a non-fiesta run of FF5 in over a decade, and I don't think I even know how.

Same, which is the entire reason I'm doing a non-fiesta run for my first PR run.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

n4 posted:

I replayed Chrono Trigger fairly recently and it holds up amazingly well. The story and characters have a lot of charm and the pacing is perfect. I'm close to finishing FF6 right now too and it also has perfect pacing.

I dunno why it's so hard for JRPGs to be paced well. I've been replaying a lot of JRPGs lately It seems like PS1 and PS2 era JRPGs deliberately tried to be slower. Somehow when I was a teenager I loved games like Xenosaga with their 40 minute cutscenes, but now it's so hard to stick with those games.

Limited rom space means you are butting up against physical limits on day one of planning, so if 3/4ths of FF4’s story winds up on the cutting room floor, that’s how it’s gotta be. All this leads to a tight 15-25 hour experience.

A few years later you have comparatively unlimited storage, an ambitious team and suddenly it’s funding that’s the true bottleneck - it’s the Xenogears disc 2 situation

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Video games are such an expensive and globalized industry now that it's impossible to exert complete creative control over any modern product. Even if your project leads share a unified artistic vision and development timeline, both huge ifs given Square-Enix's track record, your asset team is going to be outsourced to Malaysia, your UI is being developed in Singapore, and somehow it all has to come together into a cohesive final product that also has enough mainstream appeal to make back its investment. And with that popularity comes consumer expectations of content and length. Even if FF7R was the best JRPG ever made at 15 hours long then players would revolt, even the same exact kind of player who complains about video games being padded out over 100 hours. This is hardly a problem unique to AAA productions though, indies and mid-budget games have many of the same problems with editing. Less is more, but ironically, more is easier.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It helps if you can reuse assets and systems like the Yakuza series.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Yakuza does okay if it sells 1 million copies in a year, every Final Fantasy game is shooting for 10x that number at minimum.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Throwing more thoughts out:
So they always have to shoot for the 15-25 shonen anime demographic, fattest part of the curve. Barret is the “Old man” of FF 7.

We don’t expect a more mature Yatsumi Matsuno Ogre Battle style story in a main line FF. (Note: I haven’t played 14.)

Apparently this is a spiritual sequel to FF Tactics, but it’s in development hell.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsung_Story

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's gone through at least three different devs and Matsuno, who was barely involved in the first place, has washed his hands of the project. The first chapter was released to backers on Steam but that's all that's been done since uh 2014?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FF16 is also going for an FF14/Ivalice vibe so Creative Business Unit 3 is carrying that Matsuno torch onwards

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Someone should it’s a terrible waste if we never see another Ivalice

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Coffee Jones posted:

Barret is the “Old man” of FF 7.

My favorite character age fact in all of Final Fantasy is that Auron, the guy who everyone treats as absolutely ancient and who looks like he's in his 50s, is 35.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

FF17 should be in an Octopath style and should revolve around 60 year olds yearning for the glory days of old adventure.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Give me a Final Fantasy version of Yakuza: Like a Dragon, where most of the party is made up of middle-aged fuckups forming a new family for themselves and finding new meaning in life. (Yakuza LaD is really good.)

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Or maybe FF17, but its 60 year olds playing a Table Top game and when you go back to the meta of them hanging out it is cutting edge PS5 graphics and then when they roleplay it looks like a nice PS1 2D title.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zurtilik posted:

Or maybe FF17, but its 60 year olds playing a Table Top game and when you go back to the meta of them hanging out it is cutting edge PS5 graphics and then when they roleplay it looks like a nice PS1 2D title.

This would be amazing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That sounds like a fantastic premise for a game, I'd play the hell out of that.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Harrow posted:

My favorite character age fact in all of Final Fantasy is that Auron, the guy who everyone treats as absolutely ancient and who looks like he's in his 50s, is 35.

In fairness to Auron - he's... had it rough those 35 years

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Harrow posted:

It's great in Opera Omnia when Galuf is all "I'm almost twice your age, stop acting like an old geezer"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DourCricket posted:

In fairness to Auron - he's... had it rough those 35 years

I do appreciate the added lore weirdness there. Apparently you continue to age when you're Unsent? What would have happened if Maester Mika had continued to remain Unsent? How long until he was just a walking skeleton?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Harrow posted:

I do appreciate the added lore weirdness there. Apparently you continue to age when you're Unsent? What would have happened if Maester Mika had continued to remain Unsent? How long until he was just a walking skeleton?

Clearly the pyreflies make them appear older to keep up the ruse

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think the idea is you look as old as you feel considering the pyreflies are bound by sheer force of will of the ghost. The fiends aren't exactly presenting as 150 year old wolves

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Harrow posted:

Well since usually what happens is Unsent eventually turn into a flan or a murderous dog or a giant bee or whatever, I'd say Maester Mika is aging rather gracefully all things considered

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Job System from 5.
Esper + Relic system from 6.
Materia from 7.
Junction from 8.
Ability System from 9.
Sphere Grid from 10.

Which to love and which to shove?

7 was far grindy while 8 had you looking at grey boxes for hours.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I feel like some combo of 5 and 12 is the way to go.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The job system is the best of them all I think. The rest all have at least one major flaw that makes them feel less good to use than they have the potential to. I still love all of the listed games and like parts, even big parts, of their ability-learning systems, but if you asked me which of those I'd want to come back in another mainline FF game, it'd be job system easily.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If I were to do a second stab at 5's job-system there would be no Freelancer class, and you'd equip a main job and sub-job to get both abilities. You'd be incentivised to switch jobs as you would cross-class bonuses for leveling them up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's finally time to evolve the sphere grid into the sphere sphere. We have the technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I can't believe you're going to get me to admit, on this most holy of days, that the 5 job system is way too fiddly to understand what your impacts are going to be running one job or another with XYZ slotted in. I had a strange appreciation for 1 and 3 PR being a bit simpler. 3 PR ends up being really good since you're can easily switch jobs and it's pretty apparent when and why you want certain jobs.

Lightning Returns had a really good garment/job system with clear archetypal goals to have a phys, mag, defense set up as a baseline and then encouraging you to think about hybrids or further hyperfocus on one aspect as bosses had different strengths and weaknesses.

exquisite tea posted:

It's finally time to evolve the sphere grid into the sphere sphere. We have the technology.
Seems like everyone has been content to put sphere grids into sphere grids to get their hyper sphere grids instead of going 3d with the grid.