Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

lol i should've double-checked instead of taking them at their word, considering they also claimed nobody in the strip said they didn't like sealions which happens in the first panel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
it's like someone tried to make a goofus and gallant strip but they accidentally switched the dialogue between characters like that one time the Denis the Menace had The Far Side's caption

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
First panel, on the left edge.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Arquinsiel posted:

First panel, on the left edge.
Is that even legible?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The United States posted:

Is that even legible?

yes it is, fairly clearly too

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
here's a better question: who gives a poo poo whether the copyright date is illegibly scrawled on it, when clearly what people mean when they say "when it was made" is the historical context of it as a direct response to gamergate? again, does everyone itt see a copyright date of 2014 and instantly go "oh, during the war..."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, it is to me even on the twitter screenshot. I'm pretty sure it's deliberately kind of hidden with a scribbly font to avoid distracting from the actual comic though.

Bonaventure posted:

here's a better question: who gives a poo poo whether the copyright date is illegibly scrawled on it, when clearly what people mean when they say "when it was made" is the historical context of it as a direct response to gamergate? again, does everyone itt see a copyright date of 2014 and instantly go "oh, during the war..."
What other big internet thing happened in 2014?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"I can do without" is not necessarily the same statement as "I don't like". I can do without candy, that doesn't mean I don't like it. But I will concede that I was intending to be a pedant in pointing that out.

However; if you simply train your eyes on that crucial first panel you might notice the artist's signature and copyright at the bottom left of it. It's not exactly the da Vinci code.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Arquinsiel posted:

What other big internet thing happened in 2014?

probably many things, i don't spend my entire life on the internet; i was aware of gamergate happening but beyond that i couldn't tell you the particulars of any of it besides nerds got mad that women exist in their hobby.

if you'd asked me when it happened before this conversation, i would've said 2015 because i vaguely knew it was before Trump, since some people laughably blame it for Trump's rise

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bonaventure posted:

if it were so clear that people mean "the historical context" when they say "when it was made" why did the poster to whom i was initially responding say, and i quote, "when it was made or in what context it was made" [emphasis mine] if they weren't two separate questions, one of which the image directly answers.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
jesus christ put a bullet in my brain

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You could just say that as a member of the depicted minority you feel attacked by the comic and we'd be forced to feel bad and be nice to you.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i wish every person involved in this conversation a very miserable day

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Augus posted:

i wish every person involved in this conversation a very miserable day
i'm working on it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

my centrist take: the youtube man should be jailed for engagement-baiting crimes

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Personally I just wouldn't have had the comic start off with a character being racist

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

New hazel on an entry in the finest video game franchise in the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCO16aX_J_w

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Bonaventure posted:

nerds got mad that women exist in their hobby.

boy that's sure a watered down summary of what happened lol

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mix. posted:

boy that's sure a watered down summary of what happened lol

A bit we're leaving out the death and rape threats and an industry that refuses to aid their employees. Or people trying to both sides the issue when at the end it was basically sexism.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 11, 2021

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
yes, i am trying to defend gamergate via euphemism

anyway, Lowtax is dead.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
^^^ lmfao why is this getting under your skin so badly wtf

this is a paragraph explaining the concept of satire

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Bonaventure posted:

yes, i am trying to defend gamergate via euphemism

anyway, Lowtax is dead.

Is this the cringe SA shitposting?

Annointed fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 11, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Annointed posted:

Is this the cringe SA shitposting?

apparently not

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984488

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The posts somehow seem less funny than 4chan thread or twitter main character replies. Yay Racial slurs.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 11, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sweet gently caress this thread gets utterly miserable when it scrutinizes a single loving joke about sea-lions. A thread full of posters kissing James Corden's rear end would be more tolerable.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Sweet gently caress this thread gets utterly miserable when it scrutinizes a single loving joke about sea-lions. A thread full of posters kissing James Corden's rear end would be more tolerable.

I had skipped because it wasn't a very enjoyable read.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The Chad Jihad posted:

Siding with the sealion is suspect, at the very least a yellow flag on being a Bore

Pretty much

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

fun hater posted:

i asked someone on twitter how they would have fixed the metaphor and received literally the worst attempt to punch up a joke i've ever seen in my life. my theory is its completely fine and this is entirely a problem of audience perceptions being warped by one idiot with a youtube channel who can't read and the army of sycophants that follow them who refuse to process information on their own

Here's my take:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Bonaventure posted:

why does your brain automatically go to the most extreme case (naziism) when looking at that pbf comic

Because of the amount of nazis in public spaces nowadays

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Bonaventure posted:

why does your brain automatically go to the most extreme case (naziism) when looking at that pbf comic

A lot of online conflicts are with online nazis, unfortunately.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So has anyone ever actually seen Quinton Reviews and the Zodiac Killer in the same room?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nuns with Guns posted:

So has anyone ever actually seen Quinton Reviews and the Zodiac Killer in the same room?

yes because the zodiac killer is garfield

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

but nathan mazri is garfield and he's entirely sane

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dias posted:

yes because the zodiac killer is garfield

And he's forcing Quinton to make 10-hour videos about Nickelodeon sitcoms at gunpoint! :ohdear:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

JordanKai posted:

And he's forcing Quinton to make 10-hour videos about Nickelodeon sitcoms at gunpoint! :ohdear:

not forcing garfield has already consumed his mind and falling into an icarly vortex is just a symptom

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1458641131345002496

I didn't know Shaun was a goon. I shouldn't be surprised, I expect, but I am.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1458641131345002496

I didn't know Shaun was a goon. I shouldn't be surprised, I expect, but I am.

He mostly lurks but has posted in previous iterations of this thread (and similar youtube threads)

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
turns out it shaun

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Alaois posted:

yes it is, fairly clearly too

Ghostlight posted:

However; if you simply train your eyes on that crucial first panel you might notice the artist's signature and copyright at the bottom left of it. It's not exactly the da Vinci code.

:confused:

fun hater posted:

^^^ lmfao why is this getting under your skin so badly wtf

this is a paragraph explaining the concept of satire
"The contrary point is a fair one" is the point

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is it a joke? Is it funny?

The original poster and I are in agreement, other people are disagreeing, we are having a conversation.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The United States posted:

:confused:

"The contrary point is a fair one" is the point

Is it a joke? Is it funny?

The original poster and I are in agreement, other people are disagreeing, we are having a conversation.

wait a minute, you're Cardboard Box A

you posted in the gamergate hellthread back in the day

lmao

no wonder you won't let this go, you're going through a war flashback