Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

pradmer posted:

Aurora Rising (Aurora Cycle #1) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FS1K4WL/
YA
I clicked on this and two of the character portraits were April O'Neil from the 87 TMNT cartoon and Rogue from X-Men, not sure if that make me more or less interested. Probably more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone have any comedic fantasy or sci fi to recommend? I've read all of discworld, and space team, just looking for some good fun reads. Was working my way though the magic of magic series but it got kinda weird in the last book and the opening of the new book was just kinda ugh, so I'm looking for something new.

Really loved space team, l.g. estrella has some great stuff. If you've got some recs, feel free to pass em along.

I've enjoyed the Hard Luck Hank series, believe the author is a goon. Nine books and two short story collections which I haven't read yet. Reminds me of a mix of Pratchett and Harrison Stainless Steel Rat. Each book has a different enough take on the universe to keep the series fresh for me.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'll xpost this here as well

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I posted about enjoying Blake Crouch's RECURSION awhile back, it has a big written-for-Hollywood energy but is still a lot of fun; a quid the next 24h

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Recursion-Bestselling-Author-Exciting-Thriller-ebook/dp/B07LCSPGTN/

may / may not be on offer in other countries

It starts off a little slow but gradually picks up pace until the back third is blowing your hat off.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pradmer posted:

The Kingdom of Copper (Daevabad #2) by SA Chakraborty - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076P8TD5Y/

Amazon description posted:

"the best adult fantasy I’ve read since The Name of the Wind" (#1 New York Times bestselling author Sabaa Tahir)

Is that suppose to be praise or a warning? :thunk:

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is that suppose to be praise or a warning? :thunk:

Hard for me to imagine a series less like the name of the wind than the city of brass trilogy, and that is intended as praise.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Boody posted:

I've enjoyed the Hard Luck Hank series, believe the author is a goon. Nine books and two short story collections which I haven't read yet. Reminds me of a mix of Pratchett and Harrison Stainless Steel Rat. Each book has a different enough take on the universe to keep the series fresh for me.

EAT SUCK, SUCKFACE!

Yea I've read all those and they are all pretty awesome. Even those that aren't great are weird enough to be fun. Didn't like how the last one ended though.

coathat
May 21, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for some fantasy that's heavily inspired by Norse mythology, or just stuff that has a similar feel. I've read The Broken Sword (which was great, and definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for) and I know LotR draws heavily from a lot of mythology and folklore of the area, but anything else? I'm sure there's obvious stuff I'm forgetting that I've read, but I'm curious if there's anything out there I've overlooked entirely. I know there's a fair amount of viking- and Norse-flavored fantasy that is quietly (or not so quietly) white supremacist, so it's hard to know what's actually good and what's just getting pushed because somebody has an agenda.

Elizabeth Boyer wrote very Norse myth fantasy. Goes much deeper than just the normal Viking inspired stuff.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for some fantasy that's heavily inspired by Norse mythology, or just stuff that has a similar feel. I've read The Broken Sword (which was great, and definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for) and I know LotR draws heavily from a lot of mythology and folklore of the area, but anything else? I'm sure there's obvious stuff I'm forgetting that I've read, but I'm curious if there's anything out there I've overlooked entirely. I know there's a fair amount of viking- and Norse-flavored fantasy that is quietly (or not so quietly) white supremacist, so it's hard to know what's actually good and what's just getting pushed because somebody has an agenda.

Juliet Marillier's Saga of the Light Isles has this flavor, though it's really just part of the set dressing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm reading The Scavenger Trilogy by KJ Parker right now, and while it's not heavily Norse mythology it's much closer to what I envision Norse life was really like. though that starts in the second book after they get out of fantasy England Very low magic, the only magical thing in the first book is a god who's fairly close to the older interpretations of Odin. There's a little more in the second where I'm at now but not much.

Quality wise they're alright, definitely some of her early works where she's starting to find her voice. First book is very much Candide while the second is starting to give a Slaughterhouse Five vibe.

Plus the full trilogy is $7 right now on Kindle.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm reading The Scavenger Trilogy by KJ Parker right now, and while it's not heavily Norse mythology it's much closer to what I envision Norse life was really like. though that starts in the second book after they get out of fantasy England Very low magic, the only magical thing in the first book is a god who's fairly close to the older interpretations of Odin. There's a little more in the second where I'm at now but not much.

Quality wise they're alright, definitely some of her early works where she's starting to find her voice. First book is very much Candide while the second is starting to give a Slaughterhouse Five vibe.

Reminds me of how most people used to think "KJ Parker" was a woman, until we learned it was a pseudonym for Tom Holt. This still makes me laugh.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

MockingQuantum posted:

If you don’t care about there being real magic or gods, The Last Kingdom series by Cornwall is really great, it takes place in 9th Century England and the main guy is a Saxon raised as a Dane/Viking. The characters all believe in magic, foretelling, curses, etc. but no one is casting fireballs or anything like that. Highly highly recommend.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You've probably read Njal's saga, right? I think the mythological dimension is basically restricted to dreams and prophecies but it's a really fun read.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

coathat posted:

Elizabeth Boyer wrote very Norse myth fantasy. Goes much deeper than just the normal Viking inspired stuff.

Came here to recommend the Boyer books -- particular the Wizard's War series (first book is "The Troll's Grindstone"). These are really good, and still stand up -- I dug out my beat paperbacks recently and it was still a fun read. Unfortunately they don't appear to be available as ebooks or have been republished recently, so you'll probably have to track down the old Del Rey mass market paperbacks.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Book 2 of Scavengers does have that vibe. I think it would be pretty okay as a standalone and I think it's better than both of the other two books in the trilogy. Also LMAO, very excited that someone else is reading it right now can't wait till you get to the good part

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not fantasy, but if Norse stuff trips your trigger then you have no excuse to not read The Long Ships.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

You've probably read Njal's saga, right? I think the mythological dimension is basically restricted to dreams and prophecies but it's a really fun read.

Well there is that bit at the beginning where the whole chain of events is started by a lawsuit over a divorce settlement where the reason for the divorce was that the groom's penis was too large for his bride. Which again was allegedly because he'd previously had an affair with the dowager queen of Norway, who'd placed a curse on him when he left so that he would not be happy in his marriage.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Ben Nevis posted:

I've read all of them except Midnight Bargain, and I'd definitely put Only Good Indians and Piranesi above Trouble the Saints. I'd need to double check my reviews, but I'm betting I put Mexican Gothic over it too. To be clear, it's good, they all are, just it's probably the bottom of the 4 of those I read.

I got halfway through Trouble the Saints and quit. Stock noir characters and an inordinate amount of the main character brooding over how compromised and damaged she is. In an odd way it reads like Book 2 of an urban fantasy series.

Midnight Bargain is a rote Regency romance with by-number story beats. Its fine. Nothing about it is special in any way. I would recommend Shades of Milk and Honey which is the exact same book except better executed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Groke posted:

Well there is that bit at the beginning where the whole chain of events is started by a lawsuit over a divorce settlement where the reason for the divorce was that the groom's penis was too large for his bride. Which again was allegedly because he'd previously had an affair with the dowager queen of Norway, who'd placed a curse on him when he left so that he would not be happy in his marriage.
Wow, I forgot about the curse. Njal's saga all the way then.
The Long Ships is also a good rec for a very Vikingy book.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for all the recommendations, friends. I admit I haven't read Njal's Saga or The Long Ships (or any of the Eddas, etc) so they're the obvious starting points.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Long Ships is absolutely excellent. Not precisely fantasy, more of "historical fiction" with an attempt to write in the style of a saga, but it's very enjoyable.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

If you liked The Broken Sword, you might also like Anderson's adaptation of Hrolf Kraki's Saga.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Make sure to find a modern translation, since older ones might just leave out the whole penis story.

quote:

Absolutely, it's a classic.

coathat
May 21, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

Came here to recommend the Boyer books -- particular the Wizard's War series (first book is "The Troll's Grindstone"). These are really good, and still stand up -- I dug out my beat paperbacks recently and it was still a fun read. Unfortunately they don't appear to be available as ebooks or have been republished recently, so you'll probably have to track down the old Del Rey mass market paperbacks.

Some of her books are on Open Library but not all of them sadly.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Groke posted:

Reminds me of how most people used to think "KJ Parker" was a woman, until we learned it was a pseudonym for Tom Holt. This still makes me laugh.

Oh, it was probably here that I saw she/her used, so I've just kept with it. Didn't know the real writer was identified.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Abercrombie’s Shattered Sea books are very Norse inspired fantasy.

I’m also a big fan of the manga Vinland Saga. They made a show out of it that’s pretty good too.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Obscure enough that it's not on Kindle (but the paperbacks are cheap) I always enjoyed Dennis Schmidt's Twilight of the Gods trilogy.

Which is a norse myth inspired Heroic Fantasy, with bonus other mythologies poking in around the edges.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
:siren: WOOOP :siren: WOOP :siren:

:siren:GOOD BUNDLE ALERT:siren:

The Many Worlds of Weird Fiction Bundle
https://storybundle.com/weird

11 Books total

Beat the average to get:

Member by Michael Cisco

Black Light by Elizabeth Hand

The Einstein Intersection by Samuel R. Delany

Thirteen Days by Sunset Beach by Ramsey Campbell

All of which are by great authors

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
The Long Ships rules

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Ccs posted:

Abercrombie’s Shattered Sea books are very Norse inspired fantasy.

Yes, and in fact the whole thing is clearly set in a far-future post-apocalyptic Scandinavia/Baltics region where it's Vikings time again.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

The Long Ships rules

Nth-ing The Long Ships. Come to think of it there is a sparseness to the prose, in Chabon’s translation, that’s similar to Vance.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RRXXMA/

Best Served Cold (First Law) by Joe Abercrombie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GUK7JQ/

The Curse of Chalion (World of the Five Gods #1) by Lois McMaster Bujold - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC11AQ/

Foundryside (Founders Trilogy #1) by Robert Jackson Bennett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077RG422Z/

The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08191MPPS/

Tyrant's Throne (Greatcoats #4) by Sebastien de Castell - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TS264GD/

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I finally read Piranesi and wow that was unbelievable. So good and such beautiful writing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Best part of Long Ships is Orm having a decades long pissing match with his mate about who can come up with the best poetry off the cuff.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

last chance to sign up for the Secret Santa! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982810

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Best part of Long Ships is Orm having a decades long pissing match with his mate about who can come up with the best poetry off the cuff.

That was a historically accurate thing. Norse dudes really respected a guy who could do that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Groke posted:

That was a historically accurate thing. Norse dudes really respected a guy who could do that.

There's a story about a poet named Egil Skallagrímsson who were declared an outlaw after killing the king's son. After living on the run for a while he approached the king's court simply to see what would happen. It was assumed that he would be sentenced to death but Egil composed such a good poem in praise of the king that it would dishonorable for him to sentence Egil to death.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

if you like things that are very old and dated, Del Rey's Day of the Giants

which iirc was the first Del Rey I ever read

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Has anyone read the new Anthony Ryan?

It's not bad, it's first person story about a young thief recounting his adventures from old age.

Low fantasy, no magic (yet) and pretty readable but I'm only 1/4 of the way through.

** The pariah ** also now some magic has sort of appeared. It's probably the thing of his I've enjoyed the most, after some very up and down stuff.

branedotorg fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 13, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

On Arrakis the conditions are so harsh that the fremen have to recycle their own body fluids. But they still have water enough to brew coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Alhazred posted:

On Arrakis the conditions are so harsh that the fremen have to recycle their own body fluids. But they still have water enough to brew coffee.

As long as you catch the steam you wouldn't have to waste any water, it'd just be some extra effort to squeeze it out of the coffee grounds.