Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I've got DeWalt stuff because of a Black Friday sale but I also just picked up a 12V drill, impact, and oscillating tool from Skil for $149 to give to my little brother now that he's graduated college and they seem thoroughly okay for homeowners. I might get that set myself to keep in the house. Putting an oscillating tool in that set is kind of brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

tracecomplete posted:

I've been interested in these masks (GVS doesn't make them, there are a bunch of rebrands, but I'd be down to try it), but I can't seem to find OV/AG cartridges that work with that particular model - just their more normal-shaped model, the GVS467 and a few other model numbers.

Probably good for woodturning as OP wants, but worth keeping in mind.

I thought GVS made it, they just took a while to get them to the US market. But you're right, it's strictly a P100 mask.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

because they're made in the same factory as Ridgid vacuums, which he also uses. No idea if that's true, but I was a bit surprised to see them roll in with the green. Maybe they just don't need much from their power tools, the way a lot of other trades do.

Ridgid vacs are not made by TTI. So that bit is horseshit. TTI does make Ridgid battery tools, Hart, Ryobi, Milwaukee among others.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Time to break out this classic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Makita is poo poo it's not even on the list

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Fein not on the list, also garbage.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Time to break out this classic.

A little misleading because, like I said, Emerson makes Ridgid shop vacs still.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Rufio posted:

Fein not on the list, also garbage.

Kinda are for dust extractors. They created the tool class and are behind almost every brand on practical tests.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

deimos posted:

Kinda are for dust extractors. They created the tool class and are behind almost every brand on practical tests.

I got the Turbo 1 and I'm very happy with it. I wasn't super happy about having to pay an extra $99 for the accessory kit though.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

deimos posted:

Ridgid vacs are not made by TTI. So that bit is horseshit. TTI does make Ridgid battery tools, Hart, Ryobi, Milwaukee among others.

Yep. Ridgid non-battery tools seem to be kind of a grab bag--Delta sells the same saw as the new Ridgid table saw, but just at Lowe's instead.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

tracecomplete posted:

Yep. Ridgid non-battery tools seem to be kind of a grab bag--Delta sells the same saw as the new Ridgid table saw, but just at Lowe's instead.

There's a Ridgid rebrand of the delta folding miter saw and I think several other corded tools, too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've been considering getting an oscillating multi tool. Main purpose is to dig out the caulking around the windows at my dad's house and redo it. Its 20 + years old and starting to get cracks and whatnot.

Is there a specific type of blade to use for something like this? The bottom is some sort of concrete block, not like cinder blocks, but the type you typically find under windows (duh), the sides are brick and the top is...... I forget. Probably metal to hold up the bricks around the top, but then possibly vinyl or maybe some aluminum trim type stuff.

Not sure about the frames of the windows themselves, I *think* they're aluminum, but maybe Vinyl as well.

No experience with these things, so I have no idea what types of blades are available for them or what I should be looking for..

Is there something available like there is for a sawzall, where the blade fits the shank and then its shaped kinda like a wide putty knife?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not the right tool for that. You want something called a calk removal tool.

A multi tool will not work great with call as it'll gum up the blade in no time.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Hi tool thread, a coworker in my break room just said Makita is bad quality like Ryobi. I'm not going crazy, they're top tier, right?

The tools used are irrelevant, the work that gets done is what matters.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
But if you use the wrong color, did you even get real work done?

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

withak posted:

But if you use the wrong color, did you even get real work done?

way ahead of you :whatup:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Makita-TD171-Impact-Driver-housing-13-kinds-of-color-Choose-your-color-/264360577433
$130 per housing is loving steep though

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

lil poopendorfer posted:

Look if I didn't have these glowing beacons called Ryobi, I wouldn't get anything done because I'd always be going off to get new tools because I couldn't find the tool I was looking for!

That's why I can't ever find a hammer or a drill bit. They're not neon green!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

lil poopendorfer posted:

excuse me the diy thread is that way, this is the buying tools thread

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So I passed on the Shopsmith but today I'm taking a look at an late 80's(ish) Delta 10' drill press. If I end up getting it I'll take some sexy shop pics for you guys when I get home. Driving a 3 hour round trip for this price.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sash! posted:

Look if I didn't have these glowing beacons called Ryobi, I wouldn't get anything done because I'd always be going off to get new tools because I couldn't find the tool I was looking for!

That's why I can't ever find a hammer or a drill bit. They're not neon green!

All of that poo poo gets a shot of bright yellow paint. Pry pars crow bars hammers etc all get a nice shot of bright spray paint when they get home.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

tater_salad posted:

All of that poo poo gets a shot of bright yellow paint. Pry pars crow bars hammers etc all get a nice shot of bright spray paint when they get home.

...i'll be in the garage.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Literally A Person posted:

So I passed on the Shopsmith but today I'm taking a look at an late 80's(ish) Delta 10' drill press. If I end up getting it I'll take some sexy shop pics for you guys when I get home. Driving a 3 hour round trip for this price.

See if the guy will let you rent the shopsmith for a month/option to buy just so you'll know what you're not missing. He won't.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

See if the guy will let you rent the shopsmith for a month/option to buy just so you'll know what you're not missing. He won't.

I'm getting that for sure from reading some more into these contraptions. That's what ended up making me pass. I mean I really wanted the lathe but I can wait until something better shows up.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

A ten foot drill press :stare:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm getting that for sure from reading some more into these contraptions. That's what ended up making me pass. I mean I really wanted the lathe but I can wait until something better shows up.
If you just want to use it as a lathe, they aren't terrible lathes. But you can probably get an old and better cast iron Delta/Craftsman/Anything for cheaper and less space than a shopsmith.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

you could poz quite a hole with that puppy

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You should see the size of the drill bits!!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

I've been considering getting an oscillating multi tool. Main purpose is to dig out the caulking around the windows at my dad's house and redo it. Its 20 + years old and starting to get cracks and whatnot.

Is there a specific type of blade to use for something like this? The bottom is some sort of concrete block, not like cinder blocks, but the type you typically find under windows (duh), the sides are brick and the top is...... I forget. Probably metal to hold up the bricks around the top, but then possibly vinyl or maybe some aluminum trim type stuff.

Not sure about the frames of the windows themselves, I *think* they're aluminum, but maybe Vinyl as well.

No experience with these things, so I have no idea what types of blades are available for them or what I should be looking for..

Is there something available like there is for a sawzall, where the blade fits the shank and then its shaped kinda like a wide putty knife?

There are things like this: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWA4235-Caulk-Removing-Oscillating/dp/B01GLGFZQK

I've never tried one, but that does seem about right, and I know I've seen other blades (for OMTs) advertise that they can be used for caulking removal.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

tater_salad posted:

....huh.

Guess I found a use for all of that leftover ultra bright yellow spray paint I have.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Next level, go through your rattle cans, assign each a common socket size, and spray away so you can grab sockets with confidence knowing all your 10mms are red, your 13mms are yellow, and your 3/8th are pink.

#oldmantips

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
It's rusty but it's mine:

Sounds like a drat helicopter taking off when it spins up but with some spit and polish this is going to make a really fine addition to my shop. GOT DAMNED $75!!!!

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 15, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh hell yes. Excellent buy.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Motronic posted:

Oh hell yes. Excellent buy.

:sweatdrop:

I got really REALLY lucky. The lady who sold me the thing has a whole warehouse of cool old tools and told me to keep her number. Said before I go cruising craigslist and such I should call her first. If she can show more more stuff like this I may just have to give her some business. I am seriously pumped.

:peanut:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sounds like a drat helicopter taking off when it spins up but with some spit and polish this is going to make a really fine addition to my shop. GOT DAMNED $75!!!!
:nice:

Might be a loose/old belt or some bearings going out if it is making a lot of noise. Putting some spongy stuff (I like foam drawer liner) between the motor and the mount worked wonder quieting down my rattley drill press.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:nice:

Might be a loose/old belt or some bearings going out if it is making a lot of noise. Putting some spongy stuff (I like foam drawer liner) between the motor and the mount worked wonder quieting down my rattley drill press.

Great idea!

I'm really excited to do a partial tear down and see what's happening in there. The plus side is that it doesn't sound :airquote:unhealthy:airquote: just kind of...too beefy for a 1/4hp???

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

That's what I've had for some years and it's served me well. Except the loving chuck key wants to disappear. Mine is quiet fwiw. Could be your belt.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
A little update:

Okay so the spindle was not moving up and down freely so I pulled out the spring and lever mechanism to clean it all up and make sure there was no mechanical reason it wasn't returning when pulled down. Welp, I found out why my machine is running loud as gently caress. There was a literal rat's nest inside the housing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSFlosR_eWo
(dear god turn down your speakers before watching this)

I love restoring tools.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's what I've had for some years and it's served me well. Except the loving chuck key wants to disappear. Mine is quiet fwiw. Could be your belt.

I stuck a neodymium magnet on the case, and stick the key to that when I'm not using it. Plenty secure and easy to access when I need it, hasn't failed me yet.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
A strong self-retracting badge holder like https://smile.amazon.com/Key-Bak-Sidekick-Professional-Retracting-Retractable/dp/B01KOVMFYI/ attached above the quill and then around the chuck key is indispensable in a shared environment, and very convenient even in a solo shop if you have a tendency to misplace things like I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Looking at finally getting a bench grinder and saw this pop up on CL. Haven't heard of the brand before, this a decent option?

https://waco.craigslist.org/tls/d/dearing-clarke-bench-grinder-40/7407946992.html