Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

It's a VF-25F/S Super Messiah in 1/72. Lots of complicated swoops in the design, would be a real pain to mask. This is from a different kit, but it's similar to what I'm looking at for my next steps:

I'm going to try a couple of things to get through this. Soaking a decal in Micro Sol might address any issues of it drying out. I also have an MFD printer, and some laser printer decals, so I can try copying the decals and hoping the new prints (with a clear coat and without) hold together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Crossposting between the Scale Modeling and 3D printing thread because this is a little of both. This is the Rocketeer's Rocket pack.

Still using the Local Library to do printing (If I had money I think I would get a resin printer.) The print is less than perfect but it looks fine in person.

Printed pieces. The lettering was to identify stuff that needed more printing

Finished and painted. It's about 5" tall and the flanges are kept in place by pins.

(click for bigger)

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Think I'm finally done here. This has taken way more time than I want to admit, and I'm desperate to get something new on the bench.

I honestly feel exhausted with it, but the kit itself is not bad at all. Plamax are about to follow up with a series of Valkyrie noses in 1/20 scale, with the VF-25F and VF-31C coming up in the next few months - I've thrown in my pre-order for these as they seem a much more sensible idea than this beast.

Now I just need to find somewhere to put it...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Spectral Elvis posted:

Think I'm finally done here. This has taken way more time than I want to admit, and I'm desperate to get something new on the bench.

I honestly feel exhausted with it, but the kit itself is not bad at all. Plamax are about to follow up with a series of Valkyrie noses in 1/20 scale, with the VF-25F and VF-31C coming up in the next few months - I've thrown in my pre-order for these as they seem a much more sensible idea than this beast.

Bravo ! Congratulations on finishing an absolute unit of a kit.

My VF-25F Super Messiah is starting to come together and I can see the end of the project approaching, I can only hope it looks half as good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spectral Elvis posted:

Looks awesome. I saw one of those a few years ago and while I'll never do it I'm glad it exists and I love that other builders take up the challenge.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I did some modeling stuff... sort of... maybe? In any case I've not contributed to this thread in ages, so have some parts recreation.

It started with this:

nitsuga posted:

I lost one of the wheel insert bits for one of my 1/24 Tamiya kits. I know I can email Tamiya about it, but anyone got any clever replacement part ideas outside of that? I stole one out of another kit I've got, but I'm still under the delusion that I'll build all my kits one day. Pic below for what I'm missing...

I got a PM with the dimensions:

Diameter - 5/32"
Height - 7/32"
Hole Size - 5/64"

I confirmed that the hole runs all the way through and isn't a blind hole making a cap, found that I had some brass rod that was already exactly 5/32", so figured easy peasy... then discovered that I couldn't find a 5/64" drill bit. I did however have a 5/64" end-cut mill bit, so whatever, I'd fake it.

Step one was converting the lathe back to a lathe, as I had it reconfigured as a mill, which was easy enough. Used a center bit to make a small pilot divot for the bill bit since it's not self-centering, drilled the hole and cut off the piece. First two were wrong in various ways, but got the speeds and everything figured out for number three, so then it was just a matter of repeating it 5 more times.

Then, because I never leave well enough alone, and the original parts are black, I decided to involve chemicals. First acetone bath to get all the oils off the brass, then distilled water, then dry well, then the wonderful chemical from Jax Industries, rinse off, and dry.

And there we go. Six little parts for some model kit that I don't even own! Hopefully they work for nitsuga and hopefully one of these days I'll do some more wood stuff other than jointing large pieces of wood to make them flat.

Edit: Looking at the picture of the original parts, I'm not convinced the height measurement is right, as those bits look like they are about equal height/width, but eh.. I made them per the measurements since I don't have an original.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Locator posted:

So I did some modeling stuff... sort of... maybe? In any case I've not contributed to this thread in ages, so have some parts recreation.

It started with this:

I got a PM with the dimensions:

Diameter - 5/32"
Height - 7/32"
Hole Size - 5/64"

I confirmed that the hole runs all the way through and isn't a blind hole making a cap, found that I had some brass rod that was already exactly 5/32", so figured easy peasy... then discovered that I couldn't find a 5/64" drill bit. I did however have a 5/64" end-cut mill bit, so whatever, I'd fake it.

Step one was converting the lathe back to a lathe, as I had it reconfigured as a mill, which was easy enough. Used a center bit to make a small pilot divot for the bill bit since it's not self-centering, drilled the hole and cut off the piece. First two were wrong in various ways, but got the speeds and everything figured out for number three, so then it was just a matter of repeating it 5 more times.

Then, because I never leave well enough alone, and the original parts are black, I decided to involve chemicals. First acetone bath to get all the oils off the brass, then distilled water, then dry well, then the wonderful chemical from Jax Industries, rinse off, and dry.

And there we go. Six little parts for some model kit that I don't even own! Hopefully they work for nitsuga and hopefully one of these days I'll do some more wood stuff other than jointing large pieces of wood to make them flat.

Edit: Looking at the picture of the original parts, I'm not convinced the height measurement is right, as those bits look like they are about equal height/width, but eh.. I made them per the measurements since I don't have an original.

I really appreciate this. They look amazing, and they will go on to do good things in this world.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000
Any advice for weathering brass spent tank shells? I guess just careful airbrushing a brown-black around the cartridge neck, and then hitting it all with satin?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Update on the 3D print job, it’s a Star Citizen ship apparently:

Dude wasn’t familiar with pre shading so he went a bit heavy in spot but I like it. Looks alive, you know?

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
it's the first real thing to come out of Star Citizen.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

SoylentCola posted:

it's the first real thing to come out of Star Citizen.

:vince:

I felt like a bit like Hal from Malcolm in the Middle the other day. I hadn't cleaned inside my PC in a while, so I got everything shut down and opened up aaaand my can of compressed air is not doing the job. But I have an airbrush with a good compressor nearby, I can use that. Then I notice the needle is stuck in the forward position.

I spent 30 minutes stripping and cleaning to get it to break free without breaking the needle. Stynylshit had traveled back along the needle shaft toward the trigger assembly and basically cemented it into place. I've never seen another paint or primer either of these things so I now have Vallejo replacements. I'm tempted to dispose of the Stynylrez in the toilet where it belongs but that would probably shut down the plumbing of the entire continental US.

And now I have no excuses to not get back to work on the just-so-slightly-intimidating Ryefield Abrams.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vorenus posted:

:vince:

I felt like a bit like Hal from Malcolm in the Middle the other day. I hadn't cleaned inside my PC in a while, so I got everything shut down and opened up aaaand my can of compressed air is not doing the job. But I have an airbrush with a good compressor nearby, I can use that. Then I notice the needle is stuck in the forward position.

I spent 30 minutes stripping and cleaning to get it to break free without breaking the needle. Stynylshit had traveled back along the needle shaft toward the trigger assembly and basically cemented it into place. I've never seen another paint or primer either of these things so I now have Vallejo replacements. I'm tempted to dispose of the Stynylrez in the toilet where it belongs but that would probably shut down the plumbing of the entire continental US.

And now I have no excuses to not get back to work on the just-so-slightly-intimidating Ryefield Abrams.

It's not the paint. This means the Teflon seals inside the airbrush are starting to go. Once it starts happening, it'll usually keep happening until they're replaced.

The only time this will happen when the seals are still good is if you operated the airbrush well above its max PSI.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
That's an interesting alternative to look at. I pulled the needle packing seal out (it's an Eclipse HP-CS) and it looked like it was fine so I thought that maybe it had been a bit loose. Now I can't get the needle back through it regardless of how high or low I set the tension, so it looks like I'm getting a new packing seal/screw.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Because people can't stop sucking, it sounds like the owner of Michtoy is a sex pest. So that's cool.

Creeper-related content, be forwarned:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kFTkITo9fss1VESh7u7uzqlGH6iDnSeXtBeTs-dt5Ew/edit?usp=drivesdk

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

grassy gnoll posted:

Because people can't stop sucking, it sounds like the owner of Michtoy is a sex pest. So that's cool.

Creeper-related content, be forwarned:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kFTkITo9fss1VESh7u7uzqlGH6iDnSeXtBeTs-dt5Ew/edit?usp=drivesdk

Didn't he also get sent to jail at one point for fraud? Something about billing Peter Jackson's credit card for tens of thousands of dollars in merchandise he didn't order?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yes!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I need four of these. I got the first one glued to the model. I dropped the second. After ten minutes crawling around with a flashlight and moving furniture I found that I have mice.

Model is a Bachem Ba 349 V from a company called Fly. It needs some TLC but it's a workable kit of a truly obscure aircraft that's genuinely My Tank Is Fight level bonkers. Would recommend to anyone who's fascinated by dumbshit Nazi superweapons. Kit is a mix of normal plastic, polyurethane, and photo etch, with clear plastic for the cockpit canopy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Could probably make a replacement from the metal sprues. they look to be the same width

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Could probably make a replacement from the metal sprues. they look to be the same width

That's my plan. Failing that I'll just use a chunk of plastic because they're going to be hidden behind the rocket engines anyway.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ahahaha the Natter, yes that's some prime Nazi hilarious rocket plane material.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I need four of these. I got the first one glued to the model. I dropped the second. After ten minutes crawling around with a flashlight and moving furniture I found that I have mice.

Model is a Bachem Ba 349 V from a company called Fly. It needs some TLC but it's a workable kit of a truly obscure aircraft that's genuinely My Tank Is Fight level bonkers. Would recommend to anyone who's fascinated by dumbshit Nazi superweapons. Kit is a mix of normal plastic, polyurethane, and photo etch, with clear plastic for the cockpit canopy.
Did you ask the mice if they'd seen it?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

Did you ask the mice if they'd seen it?

The mice could not be found. Only their poo. The poo did not answer.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The mice could not be found. Only their poo. The poo did not answer.
It's their god now. You shall not see it again.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Remember Honey I Shrunk The Kids when he's carefully pawing through the grass with those gigantic magnifying goggles? That's what I feel like every time the carpet gets a part.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Vorenus posted:

Remember Honey I Shrunk The Kids when he's carefully pawing through the grass with those gigantic magnifying goggles? That's what I feel like every time the carpet gets a part.

I once had a part blow off the deck and into the shrubbery below. I was lucky to find it in the end. Helped that it was teal coloured plastic but it was a side mirror so tiny

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The carpet monster is why my modeling room now has a light colored hardwood floor.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
So I've been playing a lot of Snowrunner recently (an arcade heavy truck driving game) and I'd like to find a model of something similar to some of the trucks. Googling the exact truck doesn't yield any results (and the number of diecast/hotwheels/snaptight stuff dilutes it) but I'm wondering if the military folks here will know of something similar in style. I exclusively build racecars so this is outside of my usual comfort zone.

Ideally, I'd love something like the Western Star 6900 TwinSteer https://spintires.fandom.com/wiki/Western_Star_6900_TwinSteer

or similar to a Tatra T813 https://spintires.fandom.com/wiki/Tatra_T813

Obviously there's a good amount of normal 18 wheeler cabs but I definitely want something more unique than that, and hopefully geared towards off-roading. I figure a military kit and then just not painting it camo could work well.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Some of the russian missile launchers look sort of similarish:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/zvezda-5028-iskander-m-ss-26-stone--1017377

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hobbyboss-85505-ss-23-spider-tactical-ballistic-missile--251790

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trumpeter-00202-df-21-ballistic-missile-launcher--103732

That kind of thing?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MRAPs have a strong mudrunner vibe, also, anything made by KamAz

IE https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION%5B%5D=All&q=kamaz

Or just go here, filter for Soviet subjects and start scrolling

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkGROUPS%5B%5D=%22Vehicles%22&fkCATNAME%5B%5D=%22Trucks%22&q=*&fkSECTION%5B%5D=Kits

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
A lot of the trucks in snowrunner have real life military equivelants which they've added things like flat trays too. The zikz that you pick up on one of the maps is a soviet ballistic missle truck. Limiting the truck search to just soviet vehicles gives a couple that are super similar to what you'd find in game.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Doesn't Tamiya have a line of those huge 1/10 RC trucks with all kinds of absurd details? They're mostly big rigs but I feel like I've seen a few transport-type / mudder trucks flow by my Twitter before.

Edit: awww yeah

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/110-trucks/rc-dynahead-6x6/

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/110-trucks/rc-mercedes-benz-unimog-425/cc01/

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 19, 2021

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Vaporware posted:

Doesn't Tamiya have a line of those huge 1/10 RC trucks with all kinds of absurd details? They're mostly big rigs but I feel like I've seen a few transport-type / mudder trucks flow by my Twitter before.

Edit: awww yeah

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/110-trucks/rc-dynahead-6x6/

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/110-trucks/rc-mercedes-benz-unimog-425/cc01/

The Tamiya RCs are rad but sadly they're mostly just polycarbonate shells with not much detail to speak of.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Darn! I was hoping they had something closer to their normal kits in terms of detail.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Great truck recs y'all thank you!!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I offered model tanks as incentives for this year's Extra Life donations and just finished the first batch. These are two Italeri IS-2s: a regular one and one simplified for wargaming (and also coincidentally robust enough to go in the post!).

The level of detail on the "full" tank was actually all right. I think only the driver's visor was quite soft, everything else was comparable to what you'd find on an old 1:35 model. What really annoyed me was the link and length tracks. 1:72 is way too small for something like that.

The "simple" IS-2 was disappointing. A lot of the details were worse for no discernable reason. There were some clever simplifications, but there's no good reason why details that are crisp on one model are nearly invisible on the same component of the other. The running gear of this IS-2 is also heavily simplified, and the tracks look very bad. They have no texture at all, I suppose I should be thankful they at least put in grooves between links. The running gear actually looks okay.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ensign Expendable posted:

What really annoyed me was the link and length tracks. 1:72 is way too small for something like that.
I have built a Panzer I in that scale with that type of track. It was what put me off the idea forever.

Corrigenda
Aug 17, 2015

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."
Nap Ghost

Ensign Expendable posted:

I offered model tanks as incentives for this year's Extra Life donations and just finished the first batch. These are two Italeri IS-2s: a regular one and one simplified for wargaming (and also coincidentally robust enough to go in the post!).

The level of detail on the "full" tank was actually all right. I think only the driver's visor was quite soft, everything else was comparable to what you'd find on an old 1:35 model. What really annoyed me was the link and length tracks. 1:72 is way too small for something like that.

The "simple" IS-2 was disappointing. A lot of the details were worse for no discernable reason. There were some clever simplifications, but there's no good reason why details that are crisp on one model are nearly invisible on the same component of the other. The running gear of this IS-2 is also heavily simplified, and the tracks look very bad. They have no texture at all, I suppose I should be thankful they at least put in grooves between links. The running gear actually looks okay.

These are beautiful EE! Also, enjoying your book on shermans in the red army.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I bought a 1:2500 enterprise d from AMT as a practice run for painting and decals before getting a bigger nicer kit. Holy poo poo, I knew they weren't well reviewed sets, but this is an absolute pig of a kit for something with only 9 parts. Injection channels as big as crayons. I didn't expect to use so much putty for a "snap together" model lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lizard Combatant posted:

I bought a 1:2500 enterprise d from AMT as a practice run for painting and decals before getting a bigger nicer kit. Holy poo poo, I knew they weren't well reviewed sets, but this is an absolute pig of a kit for something with only 9 parts. Injection channels as big as crayons. I didn't expect to use so much putty for a "snap together" model lol.

It's always been a bit funny/sad to me how lovely non Bandai glueless kits tend to be. Good move, companies, make the kits for beginners and kids as lovely as possible to make sure they're turned off the hobby.