Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

buffalo all day posted:

this is dumb as poo poo, like ppl aren’t going to be embarrassed by stuff we think now in 10 years, 30 if we’re lucky. poo poo changes.

I’m looking forward to seeing what progressive thinker today gets ripped apart 30 years from now for not being progressive enough and knowing exactly how our society was going to evolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Growing and realizing you have the capacity to be a better person today than you were yesterday is a noble goal that we should all aspire to, imho.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

latinotwink1997 posted:

I’m looking forward to seeing what progressive thinker today gets ripped apart 30 years from now for not being progressive enough and knowing exactly how our society was going to evolve.

Lol, you think that progressive thinking as we currently see it will exit in 30 years. By then climate change will have really changed the game on what people think is "important". If anything, I think this current trend of being hyper aware and very gatekeeper about language will make way to a huge rise in fascist/extreme conservative thought process, which frankly, a lot of zoomers on tick top are already doing by basically having puritanical value systems about sex but making it out like they are progressive, or thinking they are.

Anyway, very stoked for Next Friday. I have a friend that's only read the first 4 books who will come over and watch it at some point with me, and they're stoked.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If it's going to just be another cycle of the story then they should at the very least change the character names.

It's got to be Tand, Chris, Perry, Gwen, and Knife, for christ's sake.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

read somewhere that it will drop at 7p on Thursday because Amazon always premiers at midnight GMT?

expecting sick reviews here from our wot goons who are going to the premiers. or HA will be probin u behind 7 seals for 3000 years, he told me already.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jaxyon posted:

Something beyond Loki bisexuality being talked about a decade after his intro?

I didn't see Eternals yet so probably there?

Yeah, Phaistos has a husband and they've got a kid together. They even smooch on screen

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It'd be p good if they updated the outdated aspects to reflect the times. Go full hog wild, I say.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Deal with sex and gender being less strictly binary and also type of OP you touch being absolutely linked to that binary.

There's a bunch of ways they could go with it. My suspicion so far is they do nothing about it.

There's also the problem of the only character you could remotely call "transgender" being a literal man hiding in a woman's body so he can get a place he's not supposed to be, which is a really bad in context of trans bathroom panic.

The cultures being depicted still have a pretty strict gender binary, though nothing like the grimy misogyny one expects from lazy fantasy depictions of medieval-equivalent societies.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

been listening to the soundtrack on spotify, it's pretty good

i think i like mordero'sheen the most, it is properly spooky

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

he did write a groundbreaking in the moment piece of commentary that spoke to tons of people

Yeah, which is why I’m saying that’s how I imagine it would go if he were writing today.

As it is we’re awkwardly stuck between two eras with no great way to satisfy both.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Jimbot posted:

It'd be p good if they updated the outdated aspects to reflect the times. Go full hog wild, I say.

Legion Dance Battles Please.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Barreft posted:

Said it way better than me, thanks
you are the exact person i was trying to counterpoint so i guess my post was bad

Sorry y'all, i posted bad

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

SerSpook posted:

been listening to the soundtrack on spotify, it's pretty good

i think i like mordero'sheen the most, it is properly spooky

Dont forget to check out the animated shorts we'll get getting on launch day too

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1459223681687699458

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Huh.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/300450585/the-wheel-of-time-kiwi-actress-zoe-robins-is-about-to-hit-the-big-time
TIL Nynaeve is being played by a kiwi.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OK seriously what is with this influx of kiwi actors/actresses lately? They're showing up in every prestige show.

* not a complaint

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

We're the best

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I hope she does standard kiwi accent, doubly so if she has a Maori or island accent

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/James_alThor/status/1459623562466189330?s=20

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/thedustywheel/status/1459720868431634434?s=20

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's a real name?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The books are old, I’m sure there’s someone out their named Lews Theron.

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

I have a buddy that named his kid Elyas after reading Eye of the World, thinking he would be a more major character.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I mean, it is a real variant of Elijah. Apparently. I just learned.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Invalid Validation posted:

The books are old, I’m sure there’s someone out their named Lews Theron.

Hell, there's been time for some Lews Juniors.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hell, there's been time for some Lews Juniors.

God. I just.

You know what I really want out of The Wheel on Prime BluRay release?

I want an actual not-recorded-off-cable-TV copy of Winter Dragon. Toss it in! Bonus for the fans!

Please, Amazon. You picked up the rights to it, so no one else could ever do anything with it, right?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cryte Lynn posted:

I have a buddy that named his kid Elyas after reading Eye of the World, thinking he would be a more major character.

I know an Elias through these very forums. The Y-spelling is uniquely WOT, though.

And hey, it's going to blow your mind when you learn that not only is Nynaeve derived from the Irish name "Niamh", "nigh" means "to clean" and "niamh" means "bright" or "radiant". It's not real Irish grammar of course, but her name crudely translates to "clean it till it shines". In other words, we're told from the off that she's going to cleanse the Taint.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

The books are old, I’m sure there’s someone out their named Lews Therin.

One of the content creators amazon is flying out to London for the premiere had a flight attendant named Liandrin :v:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Hexel posted:

One of the content creators amazon is flying out to London for the premiere had a flight attendant named Liandrin :v:

Yeah, I heard about that:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Vavrek posted:

Apparently, one of the inspirations for the series was a fantasy novel RJ read back in the 70s. It had a plotline about a woman who wasn't allowed to do magic, because that was Man Stuff, and was representing the gender politics of 1970s USA in fantasy. Which, y'know, fine and good. But it got him thinking: what if a man doing magic was what freaked people out?

I mean, there was also a lot of stuff about some interdimensional alien warlord held out of this reality by the seven eyes of the world.

Early-draft WoT is wild.

The seals being the Eye(s) of the World is pretty dope tbh

LionArcher posted:

I see we are on this bit of the boring repeat conversation. Clearly the series will update that stuff.

Soundtrack is like Enya did LSD. That's a good thing.

It was not the beginning of the gender essentialism conversation. There are no beginnings or endings to the Wheel of Thoughtcrime. But it was a beginning.

Nihilarian posted:

Walking on eggshells desperately trying not alter the vision of the vision of the original author is the quickest way to make an absolute dogshit adaptation. Things that work for some media absolutely do not work for other media, and when you alter those things to fit the media its being adapted to, you will inevitably inject parts of yourself into the script. This is not a bad thing to be avoided, this is how you make something good.

Also the universe is explicitly cyclical (it's called the loving Wheel of Time). It genuinely makes more sense to treat this as another cycle than to get all worked up about inevitable changes that will be made to it.

Watchmen being a great example of a lovingly transcribed version that constantly struggled against the change in medium

Also, I just had a thought: the Heroes of the Horn might be a good way to showcase souls being non-gendered. When they're summoned they're shown as all their incarnations throughout the turning of the wheel, so why not have them androgynous or fuzzing between male/female along with whatever garb they're wearing? Maybe it's only the One Power that's binary, so if your soul is spun out and marked to be a channeler, what you channel is picked first which then determines your biological sex in this particular incarnation.

I mean, it's still not great and fails with intersex, but it allows more room for non-binary people even if the One Power itself is completely binary. It's not your soul or any intrinsic property of yourself that determines what you channel in this life, it's just a coin flip between saidin and saidar and then that flip determines biological sex in this life. Your identity as a person can still be whatever, your sex at birth is just a random trait that happens to be tied to what you can channel.

You will still preserve the "oh poo poo the Dragon is a saidin-channeler we're hosed" and open the possibility that in far ancient turnings the Hundred Companions were saidar-wielders that broke the world when it got taintedcorrupted. Transman third age Aes Sedai can be shown struggling against the issues of being a male channeler in an age where they're feared and balancing being themselves and fitting into the power structure that would benefit them.

I'm not well versed in trans issues so I might be way off base, in which case I apologize.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 14, 2021

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

This soundtrack is a lot better than it has any right to be, honestly.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I remembered in one of his Q and As he said not all souls were one to one in rebirth. It might have even been the one I went to.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

It was not the beginning of the gender essentialism conversation. There are no beginnings or endings to the Wheel of Thoughtcrime. But it was a beginning.

I just want you to know this is fantastic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm sorry about this,

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/dedicatedgrady/status/1459950298802315265?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:laugh:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

WoT boxes!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I wonder how much of the dream sequences they'll include. There's a decent chunk of the first book dedicated to them and some of them are quite fun ('"We've been waiting for you" hissed the Mydraal'...) They also contain bucketloads of foreshadowing of course, but then again about half of WoT's 'thing' is extremely lengthy prophecies and watching how they come about/are made to come about. Definitely going to be interesting to see how they approach this structural element.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
All this debate about trans issues is really weird to me cause I'm a trans person and I really don't need them gently caress around with the concept just for me. RJ created the series at a time when people like me were barely in the public consciousness and like that's ok. It's a limitation of the source material cause of the time it was made and that's fine. I'd like them to tweak Aran'gar a bit to make her fit the current climate and Min being an enby would be super cool but they don't need to do more if it causes problems with the story.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

literally most of what i care about is them doing something with the aran'gar poo poo, and that alone definitely shouldn't inspire a bunch of mopey handwringing from people sweating about The Vision being changed since it was always kind of something people halfway forgot the details about anyways

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The only thing I even care remotely about plotwise with Aran'gar is the fully sick moment in Winter's Heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Honestly, I'm kinda enjoying watching the right wing outrage mob wet themselves over what's turning out to be a near-punctilious adaptation.