Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
In the movie they all take turns spitting in the pot. That, as gross as it is, explains a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Alhazred posted:

On Arrakis the conditions are so harsh that the fremen have to recycle their own body fluids. But they still have water enough to brew coffee.

Well you loving HAVE to have coffee or life would be completely unbearable.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

On Arrakis the conditions are so harsh that the fremen have to recycle their own body fluids. But they still have water enough to brew coffee.

In the sealed environment of the sietch which is tight enough they relax water discipline

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
A Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire #1) by George RR Martin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QCS8TW/

Fire from Heaven (Alexander the Great #1) by Mary Renault - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6Z4/

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

branedotorg posted:

Has anyone read the new Anthony Ryan?

It's not bad, it's first person story about a young thief recounting his adventures from old age.

Low fantasy, no magic (yet) and pretty readable but I'm only 1/4 of the way through.

** The pariah ** also now some magic has sort of appeared. It's probably the thing of his I've enjoyed the most, after some very up and down stuff.

Is the thief named Kvothe?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Cardiac posted:

Is the thief named Kvothe?

It's more black tongue thief than name of the wind so far, with a little bit of KJ Parker's scavenger. The protagonist certainly isn't preternaturally talented at music, magic and sex like kvothe

It's not ground breaking but it's enjoyable and I'll preorder the second.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

buffalo all day posted:

I finally read Piranesi and wow that was unbelievable. So good and such beautiful writing.

It’s amazing; easily my favorite fantasy novel to come out that year (this year? Whenever year).

Also, It is a (very pleasant!) surprise to see that other people have not only read The Long Ships, but liked it! I had always assumed it would become totally forgotten.

I picked up Library of the Unwritten and The Midnight Library and pretty quickly put them both down. They aren’t bad per-se, just aggressively average and forgettable. I came into them having just finished Sally Rooney’s new book, and the contrast between imo the best prose stylist of her generation, and average fantasy stuff was just too much to handle. Up next I have one of these:

Red Pill - Hari Kunzru
Jonathan Lethem’s new book, can’t remember the name
Empress of Forever - Max Gladstone
The Empress of Salt and Fortune - Nghi Vo
Parable of the Sower - Octavia Butler
A re-read of Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe
A re-read of Too Like the Lightning (since I never read the series’ last book) - Ada Palmer

Gato The Elder fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 14, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

In the movie they all take turns spitting in the pot. That, as gross as it is, explains a bit.

The fremen spits to show how much they like you...and also when they make coffee.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Alhazred posted:

The fremen spits to show how much they like you...and also when they make coffee.

They like coffee too

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"The fremen only expels bodily fluids in a sign of utmost respect....and also around midday during their coffee break."

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

branedotorg posted:

It's more black tongue thief than name of the wind so far, with a little bit of KJ Parker's scavenger. The protagonist certainly isn't preternaturally talented at music, magic and sex like kvothe

It's not ground breaking but it's enjoyable and I'll preorder the second.

Sounds interesting. Black tongue was fun, but previous work by Ryan was so so for me.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ryan's high point was blood song and after that it was all meh
the new one, pariah, is good

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The original version of The Lamia and Lord Cromis is so much better than the version inside the M John Harrison Viriconium omnibus collection. For one thing, in the original version of the story the main character is not a pedophile. For another thing, the original version of The Lamia and Lord Cromis is written more vividly, with details and elaborations the newer version omits.

Here's where the main character & friends enters an ancient toxic waste dump in search of the titular Lamia.

Original version of The Lamia and Lord Cromis, first published in NEW WORLDS QUARTERLY and then republished in M John Harrison's The Machine in Shaft Ten and other stories collection.

quote:

Deep in the Mash, the path wound tortuously between umber-iron bogs, albescent quicksands of aluminum and magnesium oxides, and sumps of cuprous blue or permanganate mauve fed by slow geld streams, and fringed by silver reeds. The trees were smooth-barked, yellow-ochre and burnt-orange; through their tightly woven foliage filtered a gloomy light. At their roots grew tall black grasses and great clumps of multifaceted transparent crystal, like alien fungi.
 Charcoal-grey frogs with viridescent eyes croaked as they floundered between the pools. Beneath the greasy surface of the water unidentifiable reptiles moved slowly and sinuously. Dragonflies whose webby wings spanned a foot or more hummed and hovered between the sedges: their long wicked bodies glittered green and ultramarine; they took their prey on the wing, pouncing with an audible snap of jaws on whining ephemera and fluttering moths of april blue and chevrolet cerise.
Over everything hung the oppressive stench of rotting metal.

The rewritten version of The Lamia and Lord Cromis in the 2005 Viriconium omnibus collection.

quote:

By mid-morning they had crossed the last of them and entered the marsh.
It began as a few thickets of low trees, strangely shaped but still recognisable as thorn or bullace, through which meandered a river flanked by dense reedbeds a bright unnatural ochre colour. The thickets closed up; the river was soon lost, going to feed iron bogs, then quicksands of suspended magnesium or aluminium alloys, and finally sumps of thick whitish slurry marbled with streaks of mauve or oily cadmium yellow. What paths there were wound between steep-sided pits, along crumbling ridges and promontories of soft discoloured earth. The trees of the interior were of quite unknown kinds, black and burnt-orange, with smooth-barked tapering stems; their tightly woven foliage, rarely more than fifteen feet above the surface of the bog, tinted the light a frail organic pink, which seemed sometimes to be veined like the lobe of a very delicate ear. Moving furtively, as if they had been crippled, or as if they had only just learned how to breath air, frogs and small lizards floundered from sump to sump; they swam with equal difficulty, hurt perhaps by the water, and after some apparently aimless, undirected activity, always struggled to leave it at the same place they had entered. There were insects in the trees, with papery, inutile wings a foot long; they seemed to have too many legs.

On a sort of SF&F related note, started reading the Cypherpunks mailing list because something in another book reminded me about it.

The Cypherpunks mailing list ran from 1992 to 1998, and a lot of privacy/crypto/uber-libertarians that later became big names posted there at some point during it's existence. For example, people from various 1980's-1990's super-hacker groups like cDc and LoD and the CCC posted there. Hackers turned US government employees at the NSA posted there. Julian Assange posted there a few times from Australia and allegedly got the idea for wikileaks from the Cypherpunks mailing list. A future domestic terrorist called Jim Bell posted there, whose manifesto "Assassination Politics". Bruce Sterling posted to the Cypherpunks mailing list alot, Neal Stephenson most definitely got all of his clever ideas from there.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I read Revelation Space years ago and had mixed feelings about it, went on to read a bunch of Reynolds' other books and really liked them (Pushing Ice, House of Suns, most of his short fiction) and then figured I might as well go back and finish the Revelation Space trilogy. So I just finished Chasm City which it turns out isn't part of that trilogy but takes place in the same universe, and although it has all the same flaws as Revelation Space (expository dialogue, bloated writing, all the characters feeling and talking like autistics or psychopaths) I was more forgiving of them. Really enjoyed it. In fact I've read a string of clunkers across the past few months and this was the first book in a while where reading it felt enjoyable rather than a chore.

I saw somebody describing Dune as "mostly vibes" the other day (as a compliment) and I think that applies to Reynolds as well, particularly the Revelation Space series. He's really, really good at imparting this atmosphere of a big frightening universe with Gothic horror vibes; a place where every human or alien you encounter is probably going to be hostile and nothing good is ever going to happen to you. Which goes hand in hand with my favourite crossover genre of sci-fi plus creepy mystery, exemplified in Chasm City by the "ghost" ship trailing the interstellar convoy which the main character eventually realises isn't a myth after all.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Groke posted:

Well you loving HAVE to have coffee or life would be completely unbearable.

Engraved on silver coffee service DON'T JIHAD ME BEFORE I'VE HAD MY COFFEE

Also on Dune (and Vance a few pages back), I'm just finishing a reread after watching the movie and the last Appendix has:

That name immediately jumped out as an anagram, and the book title itself even has a Vance vibe to it :prepop:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

freebooter posted:

I read Revelation Space years ago and had mixed feelings about it, went on to read a bunch of Reynolds' other books and really liked them (Pushing Ice, House of Suns, most of his short fiction) and then figured I might as well go back and finish the Revelation Space trilogy. So I just finished Chasm City which it turns out isn't part of that trilogy but takes place in the same universe, and although it has all the same flaws as Revelation Space (expository dialogue, bloated writing, all the characters feeling and talking like autistics or psychopaths) I was more forgiving of them. Really enjoyed it. In fact I've read a string of clunkers across the past few months and this was the first book in a while where reading it felt enjoyable rather than a chore.

I saw somebody describing Dune as "mostly vibes" the other day (as a compliment) and I think that applies to Reynolds as well, particularly the Revelation Space series. He's really, really good at imparting this atmosphere of a big frightening universe with Gothic horror vibes; a place where every human or alien you encounter is probably going to be hostile and nothing good is ever going to happen to you. Which goes hand in hand with my favourite crossover genre of sci-fi plus creepy mystery, exemplified in Chasm City by the "ghost" ship trailing the interstellar convoy which the main character eventually realises isn't a myth after all.

Yeah. The trilogy sucks, but I enjoyed the vibes.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

freebooter posted:

(expository dialogue, bloated writing, all the characters feeling and talking like autistics or psychopaths)

:chloe:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I didn't mean that these are the same thing, I meant all his characters are either one or the other. I'm sure Mr Reynolds is a very nice man but in his early writing career he didn't seem to understand how people actually talk to each other. Every character is either Machiavelli or Basil Exposition.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

freebooter posted:

I didn't mean that these are the same thing, I meant all his characters are either one or the other. I'm sure Mr Reynolds is a very nice man but in his early writing career he didn't seem to understand how people actually talk to each other. Every character is either Machiavelli or Basil Exposition.

Yeah, particularly earlier on reading Reynolds was all about the spectacle and the worldbuilding, not for the people. He does get better at it, at least to the point where his characters don't actively detract from the enjoyment as he goes along and there's few people who can match him for Big Weird Space poo poo.

I would also like to mention that his universe for the Revenger books would be one of the best and easiest to convert RPG settings on record. It's like he lost a bet and had to write a series based on a bunch of terms pulled from a hat - "victorian" "intersolar" "dungeon delving" - and he pulled it off in a way that left me really hungry for more.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i always name my flagship revenger in starsector etc. pretty good name

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

freebooter posted:

all the characters feeling and talking like autistics

let's not do this thanks

freebooter posted:

I didn't mean that these are the same thing,

Right sure but it's still stereotyping and bad to go "[category of people] are like this"

Better to focus on the character trait that bothers you specifically

freebooter posted:

he didn't seem to understand how people actually talk to each other. Every character is either Machiavelli or Basil Exposition.

Right, like that just post like that

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 15, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
There's a very minor detail in the Hannu Rajaniemi novels about Mielikki activating 'combat autism', a kind of altered cognitive state for fighting. I always wondered what autistic people might think of this. I'm not fishing for condemnation or validation, I would just be interested to hear.

I try to stay in my lane and write characters with combat depression :sun:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Personally my experience of autism is that I would be loving garbage at combat, lmao. Being constantly inundated with a tide of sensations and stimuli, and having to actively exert cognitive resources to tune them out, seems counterproductive for getting in fights! Plus the emotional gut punch of actually hurting someone? No thank you!

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

General Battuta posted:

There's a very minor detail in the Hannu Rajaniemi novels about Mielikki activating 'combat autism', a kind of altered cognitive state for fighting. I always wondered what autistic people might think of this. I'm not fishing for condemnation or validation, I would just be interested to hear.

Kind of like Focus in A Deepness in the Sky. Vinge never used the "A" word, but it's pretty clearly on his mind. I have autism and I rather liked how he ended the plotline with one of the Focused characters.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
We had to read The Long Ships for school (Swedish class) and I think I was the only one to actually finish the entire book. It makes me so glad to hear other people like it. :unsmith:

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1) by Ann Leckie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BAXFDLM/

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DN8BQMD/

The Doors of Eden by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087C3G2T3/

Consider Phlebas (Culture #1) by Iain M Banks - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013TX6FI/

Revelation Space (Inhibitor #1) by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819W19WD/

Leviathan Wakes (Expanse #1) by James SA Corey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y171G/

Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NERQRPI/

The Lighthouse Duet by Carol Berg - $4.99 each
Flesh and Spirit (#1) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XEC3US/
Breath and Bone (#2) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZJUOV6/

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBJCJE/

Notes from the Burning Age by Claire North - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MZV3TMJ/

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

General Battuta posted:

I feel like there is a subset of people who assume that autism also confers savant status in something. Combat savantism would have gotten the point across better in my opinion.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

What about Ghost in the Shell calling the cyberbrain airplane mode "autistic mode"?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Basil Exposition is an underrated character, as seen in my 10-part post in the CBR Rumbles forum,

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

What about Ghost in the Shell calling the cyberbrain airplane mode "autistic mode"?

Almost posted this!!!

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Combat autism is just asking for a combat autistic meltdown, I think. Combat ADHD hyperfocus might do what I think he was talking about, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Generally speaking it's probably a bad idea to use specific modern present day diagnostic terms for fictional future medical conditions.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

General Battuta posted:

Quorum posted:

Personally my experience of autism is that I would be loving garbage at combat, lmao. Being constantly inundated with a tide of sensations and stimuli, and having to actively exert cognitive resources to tune them out, seems counterproductive for getting in fights! Plus the emotional gut punch of actually hurting someone? No thank you!

Based on what I can recall of the one time I've been in a serious fight, I don't think my neurodivergence was a significant handicap (at least not relative to my lack of physical technique), and I can easily imagine an autistic person having a combat hyperfixation they can tap into – but of course, each autistic person is different, so it also wouldn't surprise me that others would find it overwhelming.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sinatrapod posted:

Yeah, particularly earlier on reading Reynolds was all about the spectacle and the worldbuilding, not for the people. He does get better at it, at least to the point where his characters don't actively detract from the enjoyment as he goes along and there's few people who can match him for Big Weird Space poo poo.

I remember reading House of Suns and feeling glad that he'd realised not every character needs to be a completely amoral rear end in a top hat; not every verbal exchange needs to be dripping with hostile contempt. Aside from being unrealistic it just gets boring!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

i have a friend with autism who laughed everytime a character said it and now calls her phone's airplane mode "autistic mode" as a result

so :shrug:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

freebooter posted:

I remember reading House of Suns and feeling glad that he'd realised not every character needs to be a completely amoral rear end in a top hat; not every verbal exchange needs to be dripping with hostile contempt. Aside from being unrealistic it just gets boring!

Also you need more than one character arc.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Seeing as it is cyberpunk I guess it is likely just an aesthetic name for turning off networking features, but I like to think it implies both limits on communication, as well as a preoccupation with the internal; a different way for a cyberbrain to function whereas usually it is dependant on external communication and resources.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Also it could just be a weird translation choice.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

secular woods sex posted:

I feel like there is a subset of people who assume that autism also confers savant status in something. Combat savantism would have gotten the point across better in my opinion.
https://twitter.com/haleymossart/status/1218980007600689154?s=20
https://twitter.com/BudrykZack/status/1222670961411084288?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I’ve not actually finished dune yet but I’m pretty sure these mentats are people trained to be autistic.