Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

disease spreading, defiant imbeciles is a mild way to classify these neanderthals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

zone posted:

disease spreading, defiant imbeciles is a mild way to classify these neanderthals.

I like how they couldn't an entire sentence without referring to themselves as rebellious and brave.

"You may see me as a flawed, strikingly handsome, virile, swolt-dicked moron, but I'm actually very very smart"

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

her eyes seem kinda close together

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Polyphonic Poop posted:

Ice Phisherman's geopolitical posts are my fave.

This is a mistake.

Never read anything I post.

You'll learn nothing.

Flee.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 16, 2021

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

the included video is awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yL6D7TtN9w
:2bong:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1460509470937726980

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yeah, I had stench smell for a long time too. I'd assumed it was left over from the disgusting covid ear infection that was full of rancid pus.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Zantie posted:

Washington state's weekly update.

Cases:

Cases are dated as first specimen date of either PCR or antigen test, regardless of how many positive tests were taken or test type. No idea if they'll ever keep track of re-infections.

Week of Nov 7th: +10,251
Week of Oct 31st: +1,493 (previous report: +10,584)
Week of Oct 24th: +222 (previous reports: +1,822, +11,609)
Week of Oct 17th: +86 (previous reports: +269, +1,797, +13,200)
Week of Oct 10th: +23 (previous reports: +93, +117, +1,213, +13,508)
Week of Oct 3rd: +12 (previous reports: -37, +16, +116, +2,493, +12,992)

Hospitalizations:

Hospitalizations of Washington state residents dated by week of first admission due to confirmed or suspected COVID-19. This is independent of any test positive date.

Week of Nov 7th: +570
Week of Oct 31st: +33 (previous report: +614)
Week of Oct 24th: +4 (previous reports: +43, +695)
Week of Oct 17th: -2 (previous reports: +10, +59, +741)
Week of Oct 10th: +0 (previous reports: -7, +8, +40, +726)
Week of Oct 3rd: +2 (previous reports: +1, -2, +11, +95, +719)
Unknown Hosp. Date: +10 (total unknown: 873)

Deaths:

Deaths due to confirmed/suspected COVID-19 are dated as week of first positive specimen date, regardless of now many positive tests were taken or test type.

Week of Nov 7th: +2
Week of Oct 31st: +15 (previous report: +3)
Week of Oct 24th: +55 (previous reports: +26, +7)
Week of Oct 17th: +40 (previous reports: +34, +32, +6)
Week of Oct 10th: +15 (previous reports: +32, +36, +20, +7)
Week of Oct 3rd: +5 (previous reports: +21, +37, +41, +24, +4)
Week of Sept 26th: +15 (previous reports: +11, +25, +38, +52, +36, +5)
big time lols at where it's leveling out before the holiday/winter surge

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

durrneez posted:

what about jacking off and then violently sobbing?

why wait? try whack-and-weep today!

Akaiku
May 17, 2013

I mean the anti pants and underwear heroes failed and now we can't just run around outside bottomless, such freedom lost!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Fuckin a, 20 years old.

Edit: you know what feels good? Eating. I also like the statistic that it's mostly younger women because guess who the medical establishment hates oh wait that's everyone

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 16, 2021

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gunshow Poophole posted:

process for young young kids is still a ways off, Q2 22 EUA in my opinion

provided we have a functioning state and global economy still

I thought Pfizer said 2nd half of 2022.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOw4nuJ01Y4

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

‘and countless hand washings’

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Polyphonic Poop posted:

I usually read this thread in the morning over breakfast and share the highlights (lowlights?) with my wife between bites of cereal. She hates me for it because I always ruin her day right from the start. To cope, she's turned to venting poetically, which she's been doing for months behind my back apparently, and I've begged her to let me share a few of them with the class.

hey these are pretty good and fun, post more of them.

get your wife an account, goon pairs have never spiraled downward

idiots usually see themselves as brave and incredibly justified heroes, we're really good at lying to ourselves and building up fantasies to reinforce the delusions we already want to believe.

- lessons from the midwest, both before and after open biden

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Lol.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

yeah that's why i don't want to get a virus lady

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Going to forever be known as the weird kid who's therapy needing parents hid them in the basement when they saw a trampoline party. Forever scarred mentally! Many such cases! This is what libs wanted vote!

you'll be alright. just takes time

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not American, but we do have some turkeys available in our local supermarket's imported section. I've roasted whole chickens in an oven before - I'd brine them overnight in a mixture of salt and soy sauce and dump some salt and pepper inside the chicken before putting them in the oven and that seemed to turn out well enough.

I'd like to try cooking a turkey, just to see what it's like and maybe to fancy up our dinner one of these days even if we don't really celebrate Thanksgiving. What's an easy recipe to work with?

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Thoguh posted:

‘and countless hand washings’

I feel like I’ve posted about this before, but the first covid sicko I ever encountered was a semi-coworker with a sick grandma to take care of, and she showed up one day wearing a face shield and did insane hand washing between tables. We know what’s wrong with that now, but she was the Day 1 equivalent of respirator crew and I respect her greatly.

I think a lot of people, or at least a lot of Americans, seem to have a limit on the number of things they’re willing to learn about a new thing before they say “oh gently caress this” and just watch their VHS collection instead of learning how the new DVD player works, and I think it’s gotten hundreds of thousands of Americans killed in the last couple years. So many loving people are still washing their hands and trying to mitigate droplets, and those are the ones smart enough to acknowledge that covid exists and should be avoided. They do it wrong, though, because they were barely paying attention before the vaccines and stopped paying attention entirely after, in part because their government told them it was okay to stop paying attention.

Obviously it’s good to wash your hands, but you can’t purell your way out of an airborne disease.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/WLWTColin/status/1460566715356614665?s=20

quote:

CINCINNATI —
Taking a step back on the talk of a COVID-19 vaccine requirement for Cincinnati Public Schools students.

The Board of Education has been debating a policy for weeks, but parental input brings it to a screeching halt.

The district already requires vaccination for staff but would have been the first in Ohio to do so for students.

Parents responded with a resounding no.

"It was pretty clear from those results that this is not something even close to a majority of parents are supporting and I'm trying to make meaning of that myself," said board member Ben Lindy.

A survey went to more than 22,000 families.

Of the 6,000 who responded, 66% did not support a mandatory student vaccination.

CPS board members who were on the fence said this changes things.

"It's very clear that our families spoke loudly in their opposition for a mandated vaccine. But I think there are a lot of parents perhaps like me, like Mr. Lindy. My daughter turns 5 on Wednesday and we have appointments for the other two. We want that," said board member Ryan Messer.

Edward Allie has two sons in the district.

Though their family is vaccinated, he believes it's a personal choice.

"I believe vaccines are a powerful and effective tool in addressing this pandemic. But I don't believe it's the place of this school district or the school board to mandate the vaccine. This decision should be the parents' or the legal guardians' of those minors," he said.

Board member Eve Bolton agreed.

"I just don't believe this is our role. This is to me, as a person that does not have children and I'm the only one here that doesn't... I hold that parents' role is sacrosanct," she said.

The door isn't entirely shut on this possible requirement.

The policy and equity committee does plan to continue talking about it and whether a future policy may include a testing or masking choice for students who opt out of vaccination

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not American, but we do have some turkeys available in our local supermarket's imported section. I've roasted whole chickens in an oven before - I'd brine them overnight in a mixture of salt and soy sauce and dump some salt and pepper inside the chicken before putting them in the oven and that seemed to turn out well enough.

I'd like to try cooking a turkey, just to see what it's like and maybe to fancy up our dinner one of these days even if we don't really celebrate Thanksgiving. What's an easy recipe to work with?

I recommend spatchcocking it. Turkeys are difficult to cook evenly in the oven which is why there's such a stereotype of them being dry and inedible

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSetiE6CPEo

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Vaccination is not a personal choice if it isn’t sterilizing.

‘Natural immunity’ isn’t good enough even if it’s comparable to what you get from vaccines because what you get from the vaccines isn’t sterilizing. If the vaccines still add a few percentage points of protection then they still are completely worth it and anyone arguing otherwise is a disengenous idiot that either doesn’t understand the topic or is actively being a wrecker.

These are very controversial statements outside of CSPAM.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Thoguh posted:

Vaccination is not a personal choice if it isn’t sterilizing.

‘Natural immunity’ isn’t good enough even if it’s comparable to what you get from vaccines because what you get from the vaccines isn’t sterilizing. If the vaccines still add a few percentage points of protection then they still are completely worth it and anyone arguing otherwise is a disengenous idiot that either doesn’t understand the topic or is actively being a wrecker.

These are very controversial statements outside of CSPAM.

And recently the data also came out where some infected people don't develop any immunity at all. So that's doubly horrendous.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Polyphonic Poop posted:

Hi C-SPAM COVID-19 thread, long time lurker, first time poster. You are the only source of truth for this pandemic. Been watching over the past few months as everything got lovely again -- you folks were the only ones who said it would happen, and you were right. All hail doomthread.

I usually read this thread in the morning over breakfast and share the highlights (lowlights?) with my wife between bites of cereal. She hates me for it because I always ruin her day right from the start. To cope, she's turned to venting poetically, which she's been doing for months behind my back apparently, and I've begged her to let me share a few of them with the class.

Ice Phisherman's geopolitical posts are my fave. We're all hosed on every level. Huzzah!

Huzzah indeed

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Polyphonic Poop posted:

Hi C-SPAM COVID-19 thread, long time lurker, first time poster. You are the only source of truth for this pandemic. Been watching over the past few months as everything got lovely again -- you folks were the only ones who said it would happen, and you were right. All hail doomthread.

Ice Phisherman's geopolitical posts are my fave. We're all hosed on every level. Huzzah!

Good coping mechanism. Let us know when you should be added to the spreadsheet.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Deep fry the turkey.

Real Mean Queen posted:

I think a lot of people, or at least a lot of Americans, seem to have a limit on the number of things they’re willing to learn about a new thing before they say “oh gently caress this” and just watch their VHS collection instead of learning how the new DVD player works, and I think it’s gotten hundreds of thousands of Americans killed in the last couple years.

I'd definitely agree with this and see it in action in almost all of my family members who are older than me. My grandmothers and most of my aunts and uncles get mad at phone and tablet apps and simply don't use those devices, even the ones with perfectly fine eyesight. They repeat the same colloquialisms and thought ending phrases as if they're wise when all they're really doing is defaulting to not thinking about anything. Half of them barely have their own opinions, instead they're just regurgitating whatever their favorite lovely talking head told them on tv. Most of them barely have hobbies. I can't tell if it's because they're dull and dumb or if it's more because theyve become comfy in their routines and are afraid to deviate from them. Probably both, and that behavior is reinforced by everyone and everything around them.

It's a sluggish stubborness and our hellworld normalizing masses of people dying means they don't care about doing anything differently at all during a pandemic. Fox and monica ghandi tell them that everything is fine and normal and thats what they want to hear so thats what they believe and nothing changes.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

FunkyFjord posted:

Deep fry the turkey.

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1460357227148152840?s=20

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
My 88 year old grandmother is either dead or will be soon. I'm torn as to what to do about the funeral, as I believe it will take place in my dump of a hometown in the Missouri Ozarks, aka Delta wave ground zero. Going from East Tennessee to there is like an 8 hour drive, so I'm considering flying to St. Louis and renting a car.

Any goons who've flown recently, how much hell have you caught from wearing a respirator in an airport?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I think everyone who's talked about flying recently has mentioned having to take off their good mask and bing forced to use a flimsy one, might still be able to get away with various different n95s though.

tbh just visit the grave latter or drive.

You can even dump the oil out on your rug immediately afterward, extremely few people die from this.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 16, 2021

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mycomancy posted:

My 88 year old grandmother is either dead or will be soon. I'm torn as to what to do about the funeral, as I believe it will take place in my dump of a hometown in the Missouri Ozarks, aka Delta wave ground zero. Going from East Tennessee to there is like an 8 hour drive, so I'm considering flying to St. Louis and renting a car.

Any goons who've flown recently, how much hell have you caught from wearing a respirator in an airport?

Eh, if you can make the drive in a single day I would do that instead. Flying this close to Thanksgiving is going to be a nightmare. The airlines are about to be completely crushed and what little staff they have aren't ready.

Also, consider not going. Funerals aren't for the dead, they're for the folks left behind. If you won't get anything but grief and stress out of going then don't. I understand your family situation has probably already made that call for you though.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
As long as you keep your N95 (or better) on, shouldn't pose all that much of a risk? Or is that no longer current information.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Asproigerosis posted:

The shiny xrays must work entirely different from clinical imaging because it's actually detrimental to have highly energetic photons (just from the imaging standpoint, not even accounting for the absorbed radiation dose). It's all limited by the detectors efficiency and computer processing power. I wish my brain wasn't Swiss cheese from being old and could learn about this exciting field of organ bejeweling.

think number of photons not energy. energy is color.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fame Douglas posted:

As long as you keep your N95 (or better) on, shouldn't pose all that much of a risk? Or is that no longer current information.

You're the biggest Biden Stan here, of all people you should know that COVID is over and the air is so much sweeter without a mask ffs

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Air smells kinda sus without a mask.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mycomancy posted:

It'll take you more than 8 hours to get to the airport, fly to St. Louis, rent a car, and drive to the Ozarks. Just drive. And this time of year you can probably get a nice AirBnB in that area for cheap that even avoids having to stay in a hotel. With that distance you have the ability to keep a whole lot of control over your exposure.

You could also consider skipping the funeral home but going to the internment. So you can still pay your respects and see the family but not spend an hour in a crowded and maskless room.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Thoguh posted:

You could also consider skipping the funeral home but going to the internment.

Interment*

Unless the lady is being held in extrajudicial detention, in which case maybe it's both

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

mycomancy posted:

8 hour drive probably isn't wildly longer than the whole ordeal of getting to the airport with plenty of time and flying to StL then driving from there (which I'm guessing would still be another 1.5 hours or so?). I'd definitely drive myself, but I would have said that even before COVID because I loving hate flying. Except for the part where you actually fly anyway.

Edit: God drat it must be cool to live in a country that has trains :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

gradenko_2000 posted:

don’t, it tastes like poo poo