Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Thanks, I actually just watched a teardown video and... yeah. On to Newegg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Serious question: Can't you just drill holes in the front? I know people were DIY dremeling and laser cutting their NZXT cases before the office mesh panel release

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Serious question: why would you want to, when you could buy a prebuilt that doesn't come in a poo poo case filled with awful proprietary components

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Serious question: why would you want to, when you could buy a prebuilt that doesn't come in a poo poo case filled with awful proprietary components

Price, I get promotional emails about Alienware systems going on sale all the time.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

change my name posted:

Serious question: Can't you just drill holes in the front? I know people were DIY dremeling and laser cutting their NZXT cases before the office mesh panel release

sometimes? not through tempered glass ever or anything structural, not in a way that doesn't catastrophically void your warranty and unless you know what you're doing probably not in an excessively aesthetically pleasing fashion.

me i like custom work, i like a project and i love to tinker, so i buy cheap components and gently caress them up to perform as i like. i don't think it's as good an idea with a prebuild though.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
and you want a warranty with Dell's QA and component sourcing. they cheap out on literally everything, only the stuff that is likely to fail in warranty like the PSU isn't total poo poo.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
The new Dell cases that came out for the 12th gen Intels look a lot better but they are using a 120 AIO cooler. That ain't going to cool poo poo.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Hey I one time won an Alienware reskin of a logitech keyboard worth $100 from a sweepstakes and then had to get spammed by their mailing service for seven years

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
500W 80Plus is probably a bad idea?

Woot has them for $15.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/thermaltake-smart-80-plus-psu-500w?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_5_3

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lol.

80 plus. No metal tier. Just 80 plus.

Please don’t buy this anyone.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Lol.

80 plus. No metal tier. Just 80 plus.

Please don’t buy this anyone.

Is it a question of long term reliability, on top of power efficiency (which is what I think that rating certifies)?

e:judging by some of the reviews, uh, very much yes.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 16, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Is it a question of long term reliability, on top of power efficiency (which is what I think that rating certifies)?

e:judging by some of the reviews, uh, very much yes.

It’s an efficiency rating. Which technically in terms of quality isn’t an actual marker.

However, it’s so prevalent, that if a company doesn’t even bother going through the certification process, there is genuinely 0% chance the product isn’t dogshit.

The reason getting gold rated+ power supplies is recommended is that manufacturers that spend the effort to get it at least that efficient will also put effort into other areas. Not always, but usually.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-11700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($319.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.94 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B560M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($112.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($152.99 @ Adorama)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $740.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-16 18:21 EST-0500

Hello friends, I'm looking to upgrade my girlfriend's computer. She mainly uses it to edit photos with Photoshop and Lightroom. I'm going to reuse the case, monitor, keyboard, etc. My only slight concern is the GPU; I currently have my old GTX 970 in there, and I'm really not interested in paying markup for something newer. I think it'll be fine since she doesn't work in 3D.

I also realize that I have a OC CPU but a non-OC motherboard and that's fine unless there's a similar OC motherboard for the same price. I also considered doubling the RAM but Google says 32gb is fine for the 30-60 megabyte files she usually works with.

The budget can go up to $1000 if needed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

LLSix posted:

Hi goons, hoping I can get some help building a home work PC for my wife that's also used to play some fairly gentle video games (Co-op stuff like Overcooked mostly. The most specs demanding game is Earth Defense Force 5 or Satisfactory). The last time I built a PC was before the pandemic, and virtually all the parts I used just a few years ago are listed as unavailable on PC Part Picker now. The main reason for the update is that over the years the PC has gotten slower and slower to do anything, to the point where now it feels like it takes a minute to open anything. Office documents, Steam, chrome, whatever, all take painfully long to start.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? work from home (Chemical Engineering, so a fair amount of mathcad and matlab math, but not much need for robust graphics or more demanding simulations. She has a work desktop that she remotes into now).
What's your budget? ~$1200
The current build is very quiet, and I'm very happy to pay extra to keep the noise of the new build down too.
monitor resolution / refresh rate? Keeping both current monitors, here's the newer one 1080p 60HZ

The last time I updated her computer was back in 2015. I suspect the only thing worth salvaging and reusing is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING Video Card, and if video card prices weren't completely insane I'd be expecting to update that too. Old PCPartPickerList in case there's anything else worth salvaging.

Storage looks reasonably priced, so I opted for a 2 TB drive.

I'm thinking maybe something like this. Any suggestions? Especially for a case, I've no idea how to pick out good cases, and past goon recommendations have all worked out well.

I'm concerned about the Newegg warning about the motherboard: "Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions." Are there any motherboards that work out of the box? Should I switch to the new intel CPU?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($294.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($197.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($153.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case: ???
Total: $935.96

PCPartPicker throws that warning for every motherboard that supports the current generation of Ryzen chips. You can pretty safely ignore it. The new Intel chips are apparently the bees knees, but that might mean there's some good deals coming on AMD stuff, though I don't follow the market close enough to know.

Casewise I bought a Corsair 4000D Airflow and quite like it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Steve needs to refresh his price listings. In the latest Gamer's Nexus case review, he calls the 4000D Airflow an $80 case (when comparing it to a $70 knockoff).

Admiral Joeslop posted:

CPU: Intel Core i7-11700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($319.99 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.94 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock B560M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($112.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($152.99 @ Adorama)
    Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $740.90

Hello friends, I'm looking to upgrade my girlfriend's computer. She mainly uses it to edit photos with Photoshop and Lightroom. I'm going to reuse the case, monitor, keyboard, etc. My only slight concern is the GPU; I currently have my old GTX 970 in there, and I'm really not interested in paying markup for something newer. I think it'll be fine since she doesn't work in 3D.

I also realize that I have a OC CPU but a non-OC motherboard and that's fine unless there's a similar OC motherboard for the same price. I also considered doubling the RAM but Google says 32gb is fine for the 30-60 megabyte files she usually works with.

The budget can go up to $1000 if needed.

That doesn't seem to be a great CPU to be buying right now, but I'm not confident enough about CPUs to be comfortable giving buying advice.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Rinkles posted:

Steve needs to refresh his price listings. In the latest Gamer's Nexus case review, he calls the 4000D Airflow an $80 case (when comparing it to a $70 knockoff).

That doesn't seem to be a great CPU to be buying right now, but I'm not confident enough about CPUs to be comfortable giving buying advice.

in theory they could be selling them at deep promo, some intel 11th gen chips have already turned up here and there. if it's marked the hell down to be proportionate to performance or better it's worth it. dunno what the rrp is here though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If I remember right everything in the 11 series of Intel CPUs was kinda rear end and the high end ones were getting outdone in benchmarks by their 10 series equivalent. I'd consider spending a bit more to get a 12700 when they're available unless you get a great deal on the 11700 or you can't get a fitting motherboard under budget.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I just bought a 11600K myself, but only because I got it for $200.

Part of me still thinks I should get a 12600K, but combined with prices of the new motherboards, that'd be quite a bit more money in total.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

njsykora posted:

If I remember right everything in the 11 series of Intel CPUs was kinda rear end and the high end ones were getting outdone in benchmarks by their 10 series equivalent. I'd consider spending a bit more to get a 12700 when they're available unless you get a great deal on the 11700 or you can't get a fitting motherboard under budget.

It’s this.

If your board is hardcore boosting then you can get better performance out of the 11 series, but that’s up to your boards BIOS settings.

11700k @ $319 is absolutely not worth it. 12600k is a much better option.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking at prebuilts and wanted to check if this is good:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08XWC5NDZ?tag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=grd-gb-8007231086315354000-21&th=1

it's got an RTX 3060 and i5 10400f for £999

there are some variations on that. 3060ti, 3070.

i don't know much about building PCs and I don't want to spend months putting one together, but I do want a good gaming PC that will last for a good few years. Are there any obvious red flags with this that I'm not seeing?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I have one of those alienware cases with a 3080 in it and its fine actually.

Yhag
Dec 23, 2006

I'm dying you idiot!
Hello Goons, I'm looking to build a new PC. My current PC is 9 years old with a GeForce GTX 660 Ti and an i5 3570K so I reckon it's about time.

What country are you in? The Netherlands
What are you using the system for? Work from home (through Ubuntu Remote Desktop), streaming video and some light gaming if I ever have time for it.
What's your budget? ~€750 without a GPU. Going by PCPartPrices I think that's about ~$850.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Two 1080p 144Hz monitors.

I'm aiming for a quiet build because it will be in my bedroom. I will be re-using my 660 Ti in the vain hope that someday there will be an affordable replacement. I picked the motherboard because of the bluetooth and the font end connectors to match the case.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B560 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($83.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($137.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus TUF GAMING VG249Q 23.8" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor
Monitor: Asus TUF GAMING VG249Q 23.8" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor
Total: $785.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-17 05:05 EST-0500

In my country the i5 11400F is €20 cheaper so I will be going for that one.

PCPartPicker gives me this warning: Note:The MSI MAG B560 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the EVGA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.
I figure that this is no problem for me.

Any advice on this build? How much of a difference would an i5 12600 make (this would be about €200 more with a different MB)?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yhag posted:

Any advice on this build? How much of a difference would an i5 12600 make (this would be about €200 more with a different MB)?

With what you're doing? Honestly not much. I don't think it'd be a worthwhile investment given your use case. Maybe if cheaper motherboards and the 12400 were here I'd recommend those, but they're still a couple months out.

This build seems fairly well thought out so I have no major issues with it, but the one suggestion I'll make is to maybe go with a bit more capacity than you need right now on your PSU. A 650W or even 750W PSU would open up your options for a GPU upgrade down the road. Especially since next year's cards may be even more power hungry than the current ones.

And don't worry about the warning. It won't matter for the components you've selected.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Hey guys.

I have a ryzen 5 3600 and I am getting really hosed off with how loud the stock fan is. I have tried messing with the curves a bunch but I cant seem to crack it.

Anyone got advice for an alternative cooler I could get. Nothing fancy- and below 50 euros would be great.

Just want it to be quieter.

Edit: reddit seems to suggest artic freezer 34...

Science_enthusiast fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 17, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Science_enthusiast posted:

Hey guys.

I have a ryzen 5 3600 and I am getting really hosed off with how loud the stock fan is. I have tried messing with the curves a bunch but I cant seem to crack it.

Anyone got advice for an alternative cooler I could get. Nothing fancy- and below 50 euros would be great.

I have the esports version (which handles up to 200 watts and comes in white or black/whatever) on a 3600 and it's super quiet.

One thing that bugs me is that it doesn't cover the full IHS and leaves the edges exposed, but apparently that doesn't matter too much as the temps are still good.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rinkles posted:

The first time I saw the Aurora's front intake I assumed it used some cool custom airflow solution. But no, it's mostly a bunch of plastic around an outdated Dell box.

Haha, the internal case is the same as the Dell XPS with an i5-6400 I was working on last week. The power supply is right over the motherboard so you swivel it out of the way to do anything and there's drive cages on the bottom. It's not the worst Dell I've seen but it's pretty bad.

Yhag
Dec 23, 2006

I'm dying you idiot!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

With what you're doing? Honestly not much. I don't think it'd be a worthwhile investment given your use case. Maybe if cheaper motherboards and the 12400 were here I'd recommend those, but they're still a couple months out.

This build seems fairly well thought out so I have no major issues with it, but the one suggestion I'll make is to maybe go with a bit more capacity than you need right now on your PSU. A 650W or even 750W PSU would open up your options for a GPU upgrade down the road. Especially since next year's cards may be even more power hungry than the current ones.

And don't worry about the warning. It won't matter for the components you've selected.

Allright, thanks for the feedback! Anything wrong with this PSU: Fractal Design ION+ 660W Platinum? It looks like a relatively cheap 80+ Platinum PSU (€89, same price as the Corsair RM650 80+ Gold in the Netherlands). I'll wait and see if any of these parts get a Black Friday discount and then start ordering stuff.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

change my name posted:

I have the esports version (which handles up to 200 watts and comes in white or black/whatever) on a 3600 and it's super quiet.

One thing that bugs me is that it doesn't cover the full IHS and leaves the edges exposed, but apparently that doesn't matter too much as the temps are still good.

Cheers mate, ordered one

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Unormal posted:

I have one of those alienware cases with a 3080 in it and its fine actually.

You are objectively wrong.

That case is loving garbage. We had a goon here with one who was getting thermal throttled, and GN verified it was basically cooking the components.

Science_enthusiast posted:

Hey guys.

You didn’t mention where you are, so I don’t know if this meets price expectations but the Scythe Fuma 2 is a great option that’s very very quiet.

Arctic freezer 34 is fine, if very slightly underpowered for the 5600x.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yhag posted:

Allright, thanks for the feedback! Anything wrong with this PSU: Fractal Design ION+ 660W Platinum? It looks like a relatively cheap 80+ Platinum PSU (€89, same price as the Corsair RM650 80+ Gold in the Netherlands). I'll wait and see if any of these parts get a Black Friday discount and then start ordering stuff.

That's a good one, as far as I'm aware. It'll certainly be quiet, as most Platinum PSUs tend to be.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yay or nay on buying EVGA B stock power supplies? I'm not planning on getting one but they all have 3-year warranties and you can cop a 650-watt Gold+ for like $50 right now.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

change my name posted:

Yay or nay on buying EVGA B stock power supplies? I'm not planning on getting one but they all have 3-year warranties and you can cop a 650-watt Gold+ for like $50 right now.

I'd do it since there's a warranty.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I would not ever get a refurbished PSU, and 3 years isn't even that long of a warranty for one.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Particularly not for that little saving. Ten bucks more will get you similar rating for a seven year warranty

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

All of the EVGA B-Stock PSUs I looked at recently only came with 1-year warranties, vs. 7-year warranties for new stock. Did not seem worth the risk to me.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 17, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I would not ever get a refurbished PSU, and 3 years isn't even that long of a warranty for one.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You are objectively wrong.

That case is loving garbage. We had a goon here with one who was getting thermal throttled, and GN verified it was basically cooking the components.

Lmao, it's not amazing but give it good airflow and my temperatures are fine. I'm sorry your very mad at that, but I wanted to give the opinion of someone who actually owns one instead of random goon who read the three worst experiences of the case on the internet somewhere.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The PSU is the only thing in the case that can ruin other components if it fails, never skimp on it.

Late Edit: OK I'll concede water cooling too.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 17, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

roomtone posted:

I'm looking at prebuilts and wanted to check if this is good:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08XWC5NDZ?tag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=grd-gb-8007231086315354000-21&th=1

it's got an RTX 3060 and i5 10400f for £999

i don't know much about building PCs and I don't want to spend months putting one together, but I do want a good gaming PC that will last for a good few years. Are there any obvious red flags with this that I'm not seeing?

any input on if this is a good prebuilt to get? i'm hesitant because it's significantly cheaper than similar specs i see on cyberpower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i don't know the OEM so i'm slightly hesitant. case looks OK. you want two sticks of ram, the picture includes it but quite often don't do that. it does not list the PSU manufacturer which scares me.

the chip and gpu are pretty good for a grand though.