Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

...uh, so, that appears to be someone who cut out a rectangle in their drywall between two studs, and then set a fire inside the wall

Where were fireplaces that small popular ever, that isn't now occupied mainly by slavering fools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

LonsomeSon posted:

...uh, so, that appears to be someone who cut out a rectangle in their drywall between two studs, and then set a fire inside the wall

Where were fireplaces that small popular ever, that isn't now occupied mainly by slavering fools?

There might, might have been something behind that wall, at one time, that could have been there to hold a fire that someone drywalled over when the chimney (that may or may not have been there) was removed, but I don't believe it would be that small.

This is the smallest one I'm finding with a quick google and it's at least twice the size of the meth head's fire trap.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Blistex posted:

Just realized I made a big mistake. I was closing in the ceiling and ends of my porch when I realized I'd placed the trusses too close to the edge of the roof. In the blueprints (like a lot of things) those details were left up to the builders imagination. Ideally the trusses were supposed to be recessed 6" on the end so that you could finish it like normal roof with a bit of overhang and a vertical wall inside. In my haste I'd put them flush with the raked roof and ended up with this monstrosity.

A big bear floppy piece of flashing. With winter approaching I decided to just leave it and fill in the other side. As I was measuring the flashing I looked down at a chunk of left over siding and I had an idea.

I think it's a vast improvement even though it isn't recessed and I can retrofit the other side in about 30 minutes. . . Assuming my local hardware store still has pieces in that colour.

From mistakes into miracles.

That was some inspired work with the flashing, there. Makes it look like it was planned that way all along.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

the additional height means more kinetic energy if a log rolls out, so he suggested an angle iron.

I know these words but I have no idea what this could mean?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

8one6 posted:

There might, might have been something behind that wall, at one time, that could have been there to hold a fire that someone drywalled over when the chimney (that may or may not have been there) was removed, but I don't believe it would be that small.

This is the smallest one I'm finding with a quick google and it's at least twice the size of the meth head's fire trap.

I am thinking it's an external heater that is not built into the wall but extends into the room, for instance:

I suppose it's equally likely he just set a fire in an old ventilation duct though.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Maybe to stick a piece of angle iron in front of the opening, in case something rolls forward? I feel like a grate would work just as well.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

8one6 posted:

i think those are coal fireplaces -- they tend to be small and shallow, but i also still think that dude made a wall fire

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i said that a really dumb way. if a log falls out, it's about 6"/15cm off the floor, so it could roll a ways.

it'd be for when the grate is open.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Empty Sandwich posted:

i think those are coal fireplaces -- they tend to be small and shallow, but i also still think that dude made a wall fire

Shallow coal fireplaces are super common in homes in my area and they're annoying because they are useless for wood or gas logs. It's likely that the one in this guy's house was just blocked off when the house's heating was modernized.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Unfortunately someone posted that picture in IRC so I have zero information beyond the picture.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'm guessing it was masonry between the two homes and the guy just found a recessed/missing/broken area and lit a fire in it resulting in a smoke going up through the masonry wall yet not setting the whole place on fire miraculously

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Given his use of "bloody" and "fuming" (although I'd argue his neighbours were the fumees) I'd say he's in England, and there's no shortage of walled up fireplaces in older homes there.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah in Pittsburgh, where most of the houses are older than 1920, there is usually a walled-off fireplace in every single room.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I don't know if I am misinterpreting the scale, but that looked way to small for a useful fireplace. It looks like it would have to be restocked every 15 minutes to even begin to approach being a meaningful source of heat. Making it entirely impractical.

cycles
Aug 23, 2004
maybe an ash cleanout door?

https://imgur.com/a/5sM34EO

E: not sure how to embed this pic

cycles fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 17, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Blistex posted:

I don't know if I am misinterpreting the scale, but that looked way to small for a useful fireplace. It looks like it would have to be restocked every 15 minutes to even begin to approach being a meaningful source of heat. Making it entirely impractical.

You see coal fireplaces that small. Think of it less like a roaring fireplace that's going to heat your entire hunting lodge or cavernous sitting room and more like a space heater that you're using to make a 10 x 15 foot room not suck as much during the winter.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Here's a picture of a somewhat larger one, but still smaller than we think of fireplaces generally.

Google around for "Victorian coal fireplace" and you'll start to see them.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

It's also possible that it's a larger fireplace and the idiot who thinks you can cut a hole in the wall and light a fire in it decided that only cutting enough to open up access was good enough.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Nighthand posted:

It's also possible that it's a larger fireplace and the idiot who thinks you can cut a hole in the wall and light a fire in it decided that only cutting enough to open up access was good enough.

oh my loving god

this thread is a memetic scp

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Fffffffffffff.... How?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Wrong hole.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Take a flat bar, a hammer, and about fifteen minutes to fix.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The porch light of my house won't turn on unless a lamp is plugged in to a certain outlet and turned on. That outlet is controlled by a wall switch. Flip the switch, and the lamp turns off and the porch light turns on. This is the only way the porch light will turn on.

My dad came over and spent two hours trying to figure it out before he gave up and said I'd have to hire a real electrician.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The porch light of my house won't turn on unless a lamp is plugged in to a certain outlet and turned on. That outlet is controlled by a wall switch. Flip the switch, and the lamp turns off and the porch light turns on. This is the only way the porch light will turn on.

My dad came over and spent two hours trying to figure it out before he gave up and said I'd have to hire a real electrician.

This is just electrician mystery bait.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Assuming both lamps are currently LED - put incandescants in both and turn them on. Are they full brightness or pretty dim?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

sleepy gary posted:

Assuming both lamps are currently LED - put incandescants in both and turn them on. Are they full brightness or pretty dim?

The porch bulb is a dusk to dawn LED and the lamp bulb is a 3 way incandescent.

There is no way I'll be able to give y'all enough info to figure this out because some of the stuff my dad was telling me I didn't understand at all, but if I get an electrician I'll be sure to update.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

This is just electrician mystery bait.

Ugh I'm glad I read this before I got too far into noodling it. I cannot wait for the hosed up conclusion.

Edit, like it has to involve a three way switch or a weird device like a doorbell transformer. Right?

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 20, 2021

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Tomorrow I'll take some pictures and ask my dad for the diagram he drew of the inner working of the mystery switch.

I believe there is a three way switch involved somehow, yes.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tomorrow I'll take some pictures and ask my dad for the diagram he drew of the inner working of the mystery switch.

I believe there is a three way switch involved somehow, yes.

The three way switch is a mystery device that befuddles amateur electricians constantly. I think it's involved in 3/4 electrical mysteries.

The remainder of electrical mysteries involve a four way switch.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

what in tarnation

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm going insane trying to think of a wiring diagram that makes that happen

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

An amateur 3 way switch install that puts the light and outlet in series is my only theory. Some LED bulbs will work through a wide range of voltage, so the incandescant drops, say, 100 volts and looks normal-ish, while the LED bulb seems to work fine at 20 volts. I'm probably wrong but it's all I've got.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Did they wire it in serial rather than parallel?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The solution involves a both a three‐way switch and having the lamps in series.

“Hot” goes through the incandescent, into the switch common terminal, and from there connects to neutral, directly when the switch is in one position and through the porch light in the other position.

Or the hot and neutral could be the other way around. Same behavior.

The key to the series behavior is the large mismatch in the resistance of the bulbs. The low‐power bulb will operate at a large fraction of its rated power, and the high‐power bulb will operate at a tiny fraction.

The LED bulb I’m guessing is rated at something like fifteen watts. Treat it like a simple resistor. In one hundred and twenty volt lands, that implies a resistance of nine hundred and sixty ohms.

Let’s say that the incandescent is rated one hundred watts. That’s one gross* ohms.

Add the resistances, then use ohm’s law to find that there is one hundred and nine milliamps in the circuit. Use it again on each bulb to find that they are dissipating eleven and one point seven watts, respectively.

Eleven point three? That’s close enough to fifteen that you’ll hardly notice the dimming. It’s not like you have anything to compare it to anyway. It either lights or it doesn’t.

One point seven watts on a hundred‐watt bulb? Yeah, it’s not getting hot enough to emit measurable light in the visible range.

*I know I shouldn’t do this for uncountable quantities. Sorry.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/19/realestate/zillow-influencers.html

breezy article on the people who track down the hosed-up houses we mock itt

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
THE MYSTERY SWITCH

The offending lights.

The lamp must be plugged in to outlet C (behind couch) and turned on. If you flip switch A, the lamp turns off and the porch light turns on. Switch B will turn the porch light off, but has no effect on the lamp.

My dad's diagram (labels say outlet, wire nut, and porch light). He says "There is no three way switch, just two simple switches. One thing I didn't check is the possibility that the porch light switch might be one that is open when on instead of closed when on. Still don't know what the light bulb has to do with the function, though."

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So the lamp's actual switch is closing the entire circuit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sir, do you live in a Myst puzzle? Have you considered that solving another puzzle first and coming back to this one later may provide you with more information? While sequence breaking is allowed, it can lead to unexpected behavior or seemingly “unsolvable” puzzles.