Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I found Asylum 13 Ogre lanceros to be surprisingly good. Had one a while back when a liquor store who didn't carry much that was interesting had them. I've got one in robusto I need to smoke.

I’ve grown a little green since my last cigars. Couldn’t handle the robusto. A real stanky stick, not really for me these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
If you smoke a cigar and don't take a pic, did you even smoke a cigar?

No

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
Double no

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I don't have room for that many photos tho

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
There is room on the discord

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
My.pipe technique sucks but what's up with some tobaccos burning way cooler? I can't hardly smoke a couple I have because they burn my tongue but the one flake I have is like sucking down juice.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I generally find that it's really steam that's hurting me with my pipe, so drying out tobacco really helps. Aromatics are more challenging - frequently the casings or process can lock in moisture. Tongue bite being more frequent with aromatics is fairly well documented.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
iHavanas mystery box goes on sale today at 10am eastern for those of you who are interested.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

ColtMcAsskick posted:

My.pipe technique sucks but what's up with some tobaccos burning way cooler? I can't hardly smoke a couple I have because they burn my tongue but the one flake I have is like sucking down juice.

NewFatMike spoke the truth - tongue bite is mostly a factor of steam. Drying the tobacco a bit certainly helps - if a cigar should be at about 70% humidity, pipe tobacco should be at something closer to 45%. The cut of the tobacco is part of this equation. You mention the flake bites more. This is due to it holding in more moisture during the burning process than something like a ribbon cut. Rubbing your tobacco out finer before smoking will help to cool it down. Remember that the speed at which you smoke matters too - smoke fast, the smoke and steam are more intense and hotter. Smoke slow, things chill out.

Some tobaccos also have different burn characteristics. Virginias, for instance, have a reputation for burning "hot", while oriental tobaccos tend to be cooler. Perique has a higher nicotine content, and so it can come off as being hotter. Latakia will seem cooler due to the smokiness.

Also, pipes with longer stems can help cool the smoke a bit, and a "system" pipe from Petersen also helps by giving the moisture somewhere to go besides your mouth. Metal or clay pipes have a negative effect as well, as the stem heats up, keeping the smoke hotter. Conversely, corncobs are one of the easiest pipes to keep cool.

Keep smoking - you'll get rid of that tongue bite for the most part.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mr. Wiggles posted:

<snip informative post>
Mr. Wiggles is all correct. Tongue bite is the bane of all beginning pipe smokers, and much like “how to pack a perfect one-light bowl,” it just takes a bit of informed practice. Wiggles’ advice is spot on, and everything from how wet the tobacco is to the cut and even how well it’s packed can affect the smoke. I very rarely even think about it anymore because I haven’t tried much new stuff over quarantine and know how each of my tobaccos are to be treated because most of my core tobaccos I’ve smoked for a decade or longer. Hell, my son was amazed that 12 years ago I could pack and light a pipe while driving at night, with one hand on the wheel.

It’s just practice and familiarity with your tools.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Good working breaking the iHavanas website today my mystery box hunting friends, let’s do it all again tomorrow!

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks for the advice fellas. I've got a sample of Virginia baccy so I guess I'm starting out at the hotter end of town. the same place does Cavendish samplers so I'll order that to try out. Will try and be patient with the drying too - too used to cigars being ready to go immediately.

I'm getting there with the packing - started out packing them too tight and over compensated to too loose. Out of ~10 smokes Ive had one which was great, the rest so so. I don't mind relighting but it's the lack of smoke which is annoying.

Funnily enough it was the flake which has been my best attempt. I rubbed the hell out of it and left it for 10mins and it was beautiful.

I'm smoking a corncob so that helps. Trying to feel out the trade before I commit to anything more. Certainly more work than a cigar, but makes.more economical sense in Australia to be smoking a pipe

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Thanks for the advice fellas. I've got a sample of Virginia baccy so I guess I'm starting out at the hotter end of town. the same place does Cavendish samplers so I'll order that to try out. Will try and be patient with the drying too - too used to cigars being ready to go immediately.

I'm getting there with the packing - started out packing them too tight and over compensated to too loose. Out of ~10 smokes Ive had one which was great, the rest so so. I don't mind relighting but it's the lack of smoke which is annoying.

Funnily enough it was the flake which has been my best attempt. I rubbed the hell out of it and left it for 10mins and it was beautiful.

I'm smoking a corncob so that helps. Trying to feel out the trade
before I commit to anything more. Certainly more work than a cigar, but makes.more economical sense in Australia to be smoking a pipe

America, too. Pipe tobacco prices have gone up slightly, even over the last decade. You can still get a gas station lighter, pipe nail, 1oz. new tobacco, and a sub$5 corncob for less than a single good cigar. Before I stopped physically going to my smoke shop, if a new Tinderbox-original pipe tobacco came in this is what I would do. Even if I had 10 good briars in my tote, it was still better to chance new tobacco (esp. aromatics) in a cheap corncob to protect your good pipes from any sour notes or ghosting after effects.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

For all their baggage about being hillbilly pipes, corncobs smoke really well.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Virginias tend to burn hotter because of their high natural sugar content, or so I've been told. They're the best though, not much better than a good Virginia or Va/Per.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I walked around a bay and smoked a Mil Dias last night. It was tasty but as I was getting to the end of the cigar I got the worst taste I’ve ever gotten from a stick. I don’t know if it was something to do with the wind or what but I immediately pitched the cigar.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
What pipe cleaners are ya'll using? Is there some consensus on the *best* brand?

I used B.J. Long tapered cleaners for years but got tired of all the fluff that would come off in the shank and stem.

I've been using Blitz cleaners for the last several months, they seem better in general. They have a stiffer wire, so they don't bend as much while inserting into the pipe. They definitely leave less fuzz behind, but do tend to drop the little red hairs if they are at the end of the cleaner. The taper of the Blitz cleaners is also fairly inconsistent: some don't seem tapered at all, some are very thick and fluffy and some are skinny. The good news is I can usually pick out the cleaners in the pack that will work best with whatever pipe I happen to be using at the time.

For bristles I've been using Brigham brand since switching from B.J. Long cleaners. They seem fine.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
If you can find them, Vauen pipe cleaners. They’ve been in short supply as of late though.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
We had our first official herf tonight in the discord, if you want to come hang hit up Oph for an invite.

A bunch of us smoked Johnny O’s custom rolled baby solomons and bullshitted. The cigar was great and custom rolls seem like an interesting rabbit hole (money sink) that will be fun to explore.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I was on the road and missed the group herf and might never recover.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh no we'll simply have to have another 😔

That baby Salamon is insane. It's certainly among my top Cubans, and maybe among my top smokes in general. It tastes a lot like Upmann and Partagas at different stages and has a distinct but obviously Cuban flavor at others. Really excited to lean into the BHK 56 come Sunday.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Refurbished an estate Dr Grabow Viscount this weekend and taking it for its maiden voyage right now; I'm no good at pipes yet but this is already infinitely better than the trash pipe I was smokin before

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

This Johnny-O BHK 56 is dumb and I love it. A true himbo cigar for a true himbo.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Bhk stands for "Be Himbo, K?"

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein posted:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nexein posted:

:lol:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

This Johnny-O BHK 56 is dumb and I love it. A true himbo cigar for a true himbo.

I smoked mine today, it was great but I think liked the Johnny-O Baby Solomon we smoked on herf last Friday a tiny bit more. I think the 56 ring gauge is just a bit outside of my preferred size and it makes the whole process less enjoyable despite being a phenomenal cigar.

Remember to come hang in the discord to get in on the shenanigans! Message Ophidian :).

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
Hello thread!

I'm still around, but not smoking much lately. I quit smoking cigarettes about a year ago, so I cut way down on cigars so I wouldn't be as tempted. Did have a Partagas short not long ago that was a fantastic quick smoke.

Still playing the occasional FB3 game, won a 5er HdM Rio Seco for $12 all in.

As life and work calm down I'm hoping to make more time to herf, so hopefully I'll be posting more often. I just burned through the last ten pages of the thread this evening, the box pass looked great, congrats to NFM for turning 30 and landing a new gig, and good to see Oph is back to his old tricks!

I probably won't be super active, but O pm me the discord link if you don't mind!

Hayden fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 12, 2021

Doctor Medic
Apr 15, 2013

Going to space today!
Hello Cigoons!!

I'm new round these old round leaf tubes, but I'm havin' the time of my life learning how to set money on fire.

I'm really enjoying all the cigar toys as part of the experience. Ashtrays, lighters, cutters, and...of course, cigar stands.

After someone cracked a joke in the Discord about a very specific design, of course I had to actually do it...which means a bunch of us are now the proud owners of The G.O.A.T. Stand.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I am so incredibly stoked. I am following the tracking number with bated breath.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Doctor Medic posted:

a bunch of us are now the proud owners of The G.O.A.T. Stand.

:thumbsup::pwn::razz:

Doctor Medic
Apr 15, 2013

Going to space today!
I did this first run at cost for the Discordians (Come join the discord!) but there *may* be a second run sometime.............

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

The stand looks great! I'd love to get in on the discord, but I had to uninstall it. I was spending too much time there. :negative:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

The stand looks great! I'd love to get in on the discord, but I had to uninstall it. I was spending too much time there. :negative:

Just make a new account and only join our server, we don't talk that much so you won't be too distracted.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Speak for yourself. I don’t shut up :v:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sitting by the pool, finally smoking a Bijou, and drat. You guys were right.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Smoke with us on the discord

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sitting by the pool, finally smoking a Bijou, and drat. You guys were right.

Get some La Opulencias too. I think I might actually like em better :ssh:

Ophidian posted:

Smoke with us on the discord

Also this

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
We have had just awful weather the last couple of weeks and I haven't had a chance to sit outside. Fall was a poor time for me to try and join a smoking discord... At least I should break my dry streak, gonna be in Milwaukee(Waukesha) for a wedding and have plans to hit up a cigar bar at least one night, possibly several as the wifey is in the wedding and I'll be bored to tears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
Life's the same, I'm smoking in stereo...

https://c15107754.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/004-001-21301.mp4

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/denmark/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=459087