Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
can't tell what the motherboard is or if it has an nvme SSD slot, you want one of those. don't know how good a three year warranty is with this company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
the motherboard is H410M, there's a graphic at the bottom with more detailed specs. it doesn't list the psu manufacturer though, just says 600w, but the picture is of a rpg rampage 500w?

no idea about an nvme slot, first i've ever heard the term

is the psu something which would be easy/cheap to swap out later if it is a problem?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

roomtone posted:

the motherboard is H410M, there's a graphic at the bottom with more detailed specs. it doesn't list the psu manufacturer though, just says 600w.

no idea about an nvme slot, first i've ever heard the term

is the psu something which would be easy/cheap to swap out later if it is a problem?

yeah my knowledge of intel boards is terrible, sorry. i would expect (????) it to have an m.2 NVME SSD slot - m.2 is the form factor (the shape) and NVME is the much faster standard which connects directly to the CPU rather than going through the SATA interface. more modern, faster, etc. it's been around awhile so i would expect it, it would be a very good upgrade in future.

oh also the CPU cooler is just intel's stock terrible one so that would be another thing you could and probably should upgrade.

PSU would be the most difficult to swap out and also potentially the most expensive to replace in case of catastrophic failure since it can take out other components when it goes. you would be relying on the warranty for that.

buh here's cheaper with a better GPU but worse lots of other stuff for comparison.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/medion-erazer-engineer-p10-rtx-3060ti-core-i5-10th-gen-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-gaming-desktop-90619-3825059

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
I was finally selected in the Newegg shuffle… for an i9-12900K processor for $650.

I should probably not enter the shuffle with 40 seconds to spare so I can actually uncheck some of the items.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CoolCab posted:

yeah my knowledge of intel boards is terrible, sorry. i would expect (????) it to have an m.2 NVME SSD slot - m.2 is the form factor (the shape) and NVME is the much faster standard which connects directly to the CPU rather than going through the SATA interface. more modern, faster, etc. it's been around awhile so i would expect it, it would be a very good upgrade in future.

oh also the CPU cooler is just intel's stock terrible one so that would be another thing you could and probably should upgrade.

PSU would be the most difficult to swap out and also potentially the most expensive to replace in case of catastrophic failure since it can take out other components when it goes. you would be relying on the warranty for that.

buh here's cheaper with a better GPU but worse lots of other stuff for comparison.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/medion-erazer-engineer-p10-rtx-3060ti-core-i5-10th-gen-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-gaming-desktop-90619-3825059

thanks for this info. i've been looking around via the link you posted leading to other sites and it seems like this prebuild i was looking at isn't unique at all for £1000-ish, there are different deals on similar specs.

it seems like the drawback is just that these don't have high quality parts in certain areas like psu or the case/cooling.

i am waiting until black friday just in case there's any prebuild deals that pop up anyway, and i haven't decided yet if i want to move up to a more expensive bracket of prebuilds and maybe get a 3070 and i7 processor.

it seems like any prebuild will have drawbacks in the less flashy parts, based on what people are saying though. i might just have to live with that and possibly replace certain things later.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah keep an eye on hotukdeals that's where decent prebuilds go all the time. you can set up an alert for "computers" or "pc parts" and it will send you a notification.

the other thing you could do is a partial prebuild. buy something like i linked and then your own case and PSU and transplant them all over. it's not as hard as you'd think, but it is as hard as building from scratch so idk how comfortable you are with that.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

roomtone posted:

i am waiting until black friday just in case there's any prebuild deals that pop up anyway, and i haven't decided yet if i want to move up to a more expensive bracket of prebuilds and maybe get a 3070 and i7 processor.

oh i missed this. so, the 3060ti, 3070 and 3070ti are all the same card in different configurations with slightly more cores or whatever. the 3060 is not, the delta between it and the 3060ti is i think the sharpest this entire generation, the price gap secondhand sure is. a 3060 is a great card don't get me wrong i think it beats a 1080ti in a bunch of configurations due to more modern architecture. it will push high setting or high framerate 1080p all day very well and even has more (but slower) vram. but 1440p and up on modern titles it's going to struggle.

if you're looking to upgrade your gaming performance the cpu is way less important than the GPU. i was running a 3300x and a 3070 for well over a year and that's a four core eight thread chip, lol. gpus also typically age fastest although these days who the gently caress knows. a modern six core (3600 family, 11600k, 5600x or G or the new 12 series six core that is amazing performancewise) is enough for the overwhelming majority of titles, so prioritize gpu when you're shopping imo. if you're doing anything else with the machine, productivity or number crunching or media editing or whatever more CPU is more better. but for games right now you do not need to go super high.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
how does this seem, a prebuild i've customised:

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-lian-l...29,15523-178579

cpu: i5 11400f
gpu: gigabyte rtx 3060 ti
ram: corsair 32gb 3600mhz (2x16)
motherboard: msi b560m
cooling: arctic alpine 12
psu: evga 600w gold
storage: 1tb gigabyte nvme SSD
windows 11

£1359.96

there are other options for cooling and power supply on the page, if those ones aren't good. if i'm going to spend this much i don't mind another hundred or whatever to get quality parts.

also, is the i5 11400f good enough or is it going to hold things back? i plan to do gaming, streaming, 3d rendering, probably video editing and all kinds of stuff on this so i really want as much power as i can get and this is probably about as much as i'm willing to spend. i still need to get a couple of monitors on top of this, too.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 18, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i think i'm psychic? how did i answer your question a minute before you asked it, lol.

that cooler looks better than the stock cooler but if you were comfortable doing it a like sub 25 quid air cooler will provide performance uplift. don't buy windows that way oof you can get a key from SA mart for like 10 bucks. much cheaper, get a windows 10 key and upgrade it yourself to 11 to save 70 quid.

no no no that power supply is killer. totally fine for your components. the only reason you would pay for more is if you expect to upgrade the GPU in the lifetime of the device (future GPUs are trending upward in power) because as is that's totally good.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i probably will be comfortable switching out the cooler later on if it's really such an improvement. i can just follow a video and do it.

you're saying it looks decent, then? 11400f isn't too slow a processor? i don't know what you mean by SA mart, how do i get a windows key for a tenner? because that takes it down to 1269 if i get it with no OS.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

roomtone posted:

i probably will be comfortable switching out the cooler later on if it's really such an improvement. i can just follow a video and do it.

you're saying it looks decent, then? 11400f isn't too slow a processor? i don't know what you mean by SA mart, how do i get a windows key for a tenner? because that takes it down to 1269 if i get it with no OS.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368

And the 11400F is fine, but it may bottleneck you in some of your workloads. I think you can come out about even by upgrading to an 11600KF and going without a pre-installed OS, which would be a good trade.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also you can save £30 by switching the SSD to the SN550. I recommend doing so. It's a great value drive that will give you equal performance in most tasks to the slightly-faster-on-paper drive it defaults to there.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

roomtone posted:

Yeah follow the advice and bump up the CPU to the 11600 with the money saved from installing windows yourself, and definitely think about getting a decent air cooler (arctic freezer 34) and installing that yourself because the little arctic alpine 12 would struggle.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
okay, i'll swap in the 11600 and the SN550

for the cooler - there's an option on this build to get a lian li galahad cooler for £89 on top. i checked amazon and they're charging £120 for the same model. the reviews seem...decent? but i don't know. it's a water cooler, the one in the picture.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yeah that would also be more than sufficient cooling if you just want to pay them and be done with it. You could save 50 quid or so by doing it yourself with something like this.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 18, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

roomtone posted:

okay, i'll swap in the 11600 and the SN550

for the cooler - there's an option on this build to get a lian li galahad cooler for £89 on top. i checked amazon and they're charging £120 for the same model. the reviews seem...decent? but i don't know. it's a water cooler, the one in the picture.

You can get cheaper air coolers that should be good enough, such as the aforementioned arctic freezer 34, but the galahad will be quieter and you won't have to install it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
okay, thanks for all that advice, feels like i'm getting there. i just need to reconcile myself to spending this much money.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If anyone was waiting for it, the H510 Flow is now available on NZXT's website. For $110. Pretty steep, but it's what they sell the regular version for too.

https://nzxt.com/product/h510-flow

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The regular H510 is actually just $73 right now. I personally wouldn't get the flow version unless you like the NZXT aesthetic. From a build quality and features point of view, it's still based on the budget-tier H500/H510 tooling. It's a very basic case. From an airflow point of view, it's only average and there are a lot of other cases in this price tier or lower that are better such as the Phanteks P400A, Lian Li Lancool 215 or Lancool II Mesh (pricing fluctuates, but it's usually $120), Corsair 4000D, the Meshify 2 Compact or Meshify C, Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX...

The H510 Flow seems okay, and it won't be bad as long as you aren't putting extremely hot components in there or anything, but the value isn't as good as it is for some other cases out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVcCuvLMb48

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The regular H510 is actually just $73 right now. I personally wouldn't get the flow version unless you like the NZXT aesthetic. From a build quality and features point of view, it's still based on the budget-tier H500/H510 tooling. It's a very basic case. From an airflow point of view, it's only average and there are a lot of other cases in this price tier or lower that are better such as the Phanteks P400A, Lian Li Lancool 215 or Lancool II Mesh (pricing fluctuates, but it's usually $120), Corsair 4000D, the Meshify 2 Compact or Meshify C, Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX...

The H510 Flow seems okay, and it won't be bad as long as you aren't putting extremely hot components in there or anything, but the value isn't as good as it is for some other cases out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVcCuvLMb48

Regular H510 is $60 in the black/red configuration on amazon.

But yeah I don't think the Flow is worth $110. And personally, I think drilling those holes took a toll on its looks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The O11 Air Mini also finally came out recently for $110/$120 (buy from Lian Li for those prices). I'd put it above the H510 Flow just because it's about a hundred times more versatile, with the caveat that out-of-the-box GPU thermals are kinda bad (but CPU thermals are great). It's not clear what causes the sub-par gpu performance, but my guess is the positive pressure setup with air leaking out of the bottom while the GPU is trying to pull it in. It could potentially be rectified with a couple 140mm fans on the bottom, but that obviously adds to the cost.

edit: Actually, they're out of stock at those prices, drat. They weren't when I looked yesterday.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The O11 Air Mini also finally came out recently for $110/$120 (buy from Lian Li for those prices). I'd put it above the H510 Flow just because it's about a hundred times more versatile, with the caveat that out-of-the-box GPU thermals are kinda bad (but CPU thermals are great). It's not clear what causes the sub-par gpu performance, but my guess is the positive pressure setup with air leaking out of the bottom while the GPU is trying to pull it in. It could potentially be rectified with a couple 140mm fans on the bottom, but that obviously adds to the cost.

edit: Actually, they're out of stock at those prices, drat. They weren't when I looked yesterday.

Different class, though no? The 510 can take fullsized motherboards.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Different class, though no? The 510 can take fullsized motherboards.

So can the O11 Air Mini. It does full ATX and Micro ATX, with a rearrangeable IO panel. This model also supports full ATX power supplies now, unlike the previous O11 Mini.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Oh, guess I misread the description.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Is it worth it to get 4000mhz 2x8gb memory sticks over 3600mhz? Considering these (I'm in Iceland)

https://kisildalur.is/category/10/products/1782

Alternatively, should I stick with my 2017 bought 3000mhz 2x8gb sticks even though I'm upgrading everything else? Going for alder lake + ddr4 board.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
If anyone comes across a good 3080 prebuilt for gaming/streaming, I'm still looking. Just can't find a decent price point.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

err posted:

Just can't find a decent price point.

Well, yeah. Duh. That's pretty much why we're all in this hole together

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

err posted:

If anyone comes across a good 3080 prebuilt for gaming/streaming, I'm still looking. Just can't find a decent price point.

What is a decent price point for you?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

What is a decent price point for you?

2,000 to 2,400

You posted a 3080 bundle from Newegg a few pages ago but the parts were out of stock before I got to it.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Just checkin' in to say that the Vega graphics on the older AMD APU's is awesome, and I'm really happy to be playing video games again after 3+ years.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

err posted:

2,000 to 2,400

You posted a 3080 bundle from Newegg a few pages ago but the parts were out of stock before I got to it.

There are two 3080s available through their builder service right now ($1050 Asus TUF gaming, $1100 Gigabyte Aorus). You can probably get a variety of different configurations under $2400. Here's one I just idly tossed together with a 12600K for $2410 (sorry about that $10). There's a non-wifi version of that mobo for $20 less. Or you could save $100 - $150 by going with a Zen 3 or intel 11th gen CPU instead. You can also save a few bucks on the case and power supply. You technically probably don't need 32GB of RAM right now, but it may be nice to have. So there's some cost-cutting opportunities if you want to bring that price closer to $2000.

edit: wait, $10 mail-in rebate on that motherboard. Not overbudget. :cool:

edit: and yeah, if you go with an 11600K, asrock z590 steel legend, P400A case, and an RMx 850W (2021), and you can get down to like $2230? or somewhere around there. TBH keep the better case though—it might be the longest lasting component you buy here. And IMO, if you're buying a new high-end gaming PC, you should spring for the latest CPU gen to ensure that it truly lasts. This would be a sweet 1440p gaming pc for quite a few years.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 18, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

$60 CoolerMaster Liquid Cooler, with an extra $10 mail in rebate [Newegg]. Down from $135.

I always assumed that besides being more effective, liquid coolers were quieter, but I see some complaints about pump noise in the reviews (though not that many). Maybe cause it's a cheaper model?

This "classic" is down to $40.

Montech X2 MESH White[Newegg]

I'm not sure how good a case this is, and Monotech seems to have some quality control issues. GN didn't hate the X3 Mesh (different model), but noted that the cheap price tag came with compromises in quality.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

The O11 Air Mini also finally came out recently for $110/$120 (buy from Lian Li for those prices).
Am I misunderstanding something about case airflow, or is that case doing it wrong? I thought that in general you want fans pulling in through a filter, and positive pressure in the case so you don't suck dust in through other channels. But that case appears to be doing negative pressure (one fan in, two fans out, the two providing slightly more airflow than the one). I guess they do say the fine-mesh-everywhere provides filtering, but the intake fan *doesn't* have fine mesh or a filter on it. Is this not just a recipe for sucking in dust?

Unless maybe the fans spin the opposite direction from what they look like they would, in which case it's two fans pulling in through mesh like it should be. I guess that's what they're intending to say, at least, since the air flow diagram below the picture with the fans installed shows 2 cold air in at the front, 1 hot out at the back. But then where does the PSU go? Isn't that fan at the back where you'd normally attach the PSU to the case?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

roomforthetuna posted:

Unless maybe the fans spin the opposite direction from what they look like they would, in which case it's two fans pulling in through mesh like it should be. I guess that's what they're intending to say, at least, since the air flow diagram below the picture with the fans installed shows 2 cold air in at the front, 1 hot out at the back. But then where does the PSU go? Isn't that fan at the back where you'd normally attach the PSU to the case?
Yeah, you're misreading the direction of the fans, it's the standard 2 intake at the front, one exhaust at the back. The PSU is on the other side of the motherboard, usually cases have it above or below.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

roomforthetuna posted:

Am I misunderstanding something about case airflow, or is that case doing it wrong? I thought that in general you want fans pulling in through a filter, and positive pressure in the case so you don't suck dust in through other channels. But that case appears to be doing negative pressure (one fan in, two fans out, the two providing slightly more airflow than the one). I guess they do say the fine-mesh-everywhere provides filtering, but the intake fan *doesn't* have fine mesh or a filter on it. Is this not just a recipe for sucking in dust?

The case by default is configured in the standard front-to-back setup. It's a dual-chamber design, and the PSU goes behind the motherboard, along with your SATA storage drives.

edit: I have to say though, the two fans on the side panel mounts are counterproductive in their example image that uses an air cooler. Definitely don't do that. Those fans are sucking out all the air as soon as they enter in through the front. With an AIO mounted on the side, that could be good though since the radiator will use fresh air immediately entering from the front and ejecting it out, not letting that warm air linger in the case at all. Having six total exhaust fans like that example shows seems e a bit silly, but that may also help prevent air recirculation on the bottom, which could be one of the potential problems with the case.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 18, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah it's definitely a setting somewhere your pc didn't like, you reseted the bios with the battery trick, so now it's gone to safe defaults.
I reckon your memory's voltage stayed at default voltage even when you turned xmp mode on. I had the exact same issue before. Your memory is likely meant to run at 1.35 dram voltage when xmp is on, but the setting still stays at 1.2v. You need to manually change it to 1.35 or whatever the rated voltage is (it usually says on the stick itself) once you've turned xmp on

Super late to respond sorry, but you wouldn't happen to remember how you fixed that issue would you?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

What country are you in? Iceland
What are you using the system for? Gaming, web browsing and video watching.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1080p 144hz.

Partially upgraded my rig back in 2017 but I'm thinking I need a almost full upgrade now since some parts are getting rather old (I think one of my hard drive's is from 2010), only reusing the case, cpu cooler and maybe a old ssd. Also planning to buy a 144hz monitor for the first time.

Although maybe I should just continue using the corsair vengeance ddr4 3000Mhz I currently have? Also, the cpu cooler has served me decently but getting the parts to mount it onto the new mobo might be bothersome? Not averse to replacing it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
contact noctua they will sell you or just send you a mount kit for the new socket. no need to upgrade at all there. i would not anticipate a large jump in performance going from 3000 to 3600 on that chip outside of niche memory sensitive tasks. a 3070 will very comfortably push 1440p higher framerates, unless you're an esports gamer i would look a little higher or go with a cheaper card.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Laughing Zealot posted:

What country are you in? Iceland
What are you using the system for? Gaming, web browsing and video watching.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1080p 144hz.

Partially upgraded my rig back in 2017 but I'm thinking I need a almost full upgrade now since some parts are getting rather old (I think one of my hard drive's is from 2010), only reusing the case, cpu cooler and maybe a old ssd. Also planning to buy a 144hz monitor for the first time.

Although maybe I should just continue using the corsair vengeance ddr4 3000Mhz I currently have? Also, the cpu cooler has served me decently but getting the parts to mount it onto the new mobo might be bothersome? Not averse to replacing it.

If you already have 16gb 3000mhz RAM personally I wouldn't bother upgrading, or if you do at least make sure you get 3600 CL16 RAM. It's worth checking noctua's site to see if they'll send a free mounting kit upgrade to Iceland as decent coolers do last.

Otherwise your build looks good but you should really aim for a better monitor with those parts - you could easily drive a 1440p high refresh rate screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is this better than the Artic Freezer 34?

Corsair A500 High Performance Dual Fan CPU Cooler

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-A500-High-Performance-Cooler/dp/B0829SLJSF

Down from $100 to $30.

e:GN review: "Impressively Bad"

But this is in another class.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 18, 2021